Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
doublebubble
Jan 19, 2009

Does weed smoke stick like cigarette smoke? I sometimes smoke a few bowls before school or work and was just wondering if I reeked like pot afterwards. My friend said the smell doesn't sit.. it just "floats up into the air.." I think she was stoned at the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Crowns
Jul 15, 2004
BOY, I SURE AM ONE HELL OF A FUCK-UP!

Yes it does. Its very noticeable.

ThatPersson
Aug 19, 2005

Damn it feels good to be a pothead.

It doesn't linger for as long as cigarette smoke does, but it can still stick to your lose. Also it depends where and what you smoke out of. If you smoke a blunt in your room, you will reek for a day or two. If you are smoking a pipe outside, you probably wont smell much at all.

I always wash my hands, splash my face a bit, and maybe chew some gum or pop a mint or two. Also, you can put an extra layer on when you smoke and remove it when you are done, that way the extra layer takes the hit.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

I've heard vaporizers minimize the lingering. True?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

It can linger but not as bad as tobacco. If you use a rolling paper or a blunt skin then those tend to give off a smoke that sticks and lingers sometimes as bad as cigarettes.

Bow2Gaijin
Mar 15, 2006

Gaijin Smash!

My coworkers do this. Yes, you smell, everyone knows it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

It does not linger a whole lot. People who say "yes it does everyone knows you smoke" probably suffer from confirmation bias. If you smoke outdoors and make any effort not to get coated with smoke, people probably won't be able to smell it.

Dappy Phuck
Aug 5, 2006

Lixer posted:

Well it minimizes the amount of smoke doesn't it? So i'm guessing any smoke that would stick wouldn't be as noticable.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Lixer posted:

There's no smoke. The only smell when using a vaporizer is slightly popcorn-y.

TangentEnigma
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

gigabitnokie posted:

There's no smoke. The only smell when using a vaporizer is slightly popcorn-y.

Yeah. A tremendous amount of the clinging smell from smoking anything comes from the harsher stuff that usually burns at higher temperatures, ie the stuff that makes the thick grayish smoke and causes most of the irritation/cancer in your lungs. Vaporizers are designed to not ignite that in the first place, so you avoid it altogether. In the case of the high-end bag vaporizers the method of inhalation is also far more controlled so there's very little if any excess fumes floating around to cling in the first place.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

KingColliwog posted:

It does not linger a whole lot. People who say "yes it does everyone knows you smoke" probably suffer from confirmation bias. If you smoke outdoors and make any effort not to get coated with smoke, people probably won't be able to smell it.

Try this experiment. Smoke a blunt. Give it ten minutes, poo poo even half an hour, maybe have some water or whatever. Then cup your palm over your mouth and breath check yourself. Blunts make you smell loving nasty, and this will prove it. Now realize that the stink is probably hanging around for a few hours after you stop being able to smell it, good as the human sense of smell is at blocking out strong scents that you're used to. It doesn't seem to stick around in your clothes and hair with the determination cigarette smoke does, but it's still not pleasant, and can be noticeable.

But the OP likely isn't smoking blunts before work. A bowl or two, or even a joint won't make you reek like a blunt will. Assuming you're bathed and groomed, smoking a bit before work shouldn't be terribly noticeable if you smoke a cig or chew some gum to cover the weed breath.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nathilus posted:

Try this experiment. Smoke a blunt. Give it ten minutes, poo poo even half an hour, maybe have some water or whatever. Then cup your palm over your mouth and breath check yourself. Blunts make you smell loving nasty, and this will prove it. Now realize that the stink is probably hanging around for a few hours after you stop being able to smell it, good as the human sense of smell is at blocking out strong scents that you're used to. It doesn't seem to stick around in your clothes and hair with the determination cigarette smoke does, but it's still not pleasant, and can be noticeable.

But the OP likely isn't smoking blunts before work. A bowl or two, or even a joint won't make you reek like a blunt will. Assuming you're bathed and groomed, smoking a bit before work shouldn't be terribly noticeable if you smoke a cig or chew some gum to cover the weed breath.

Yeah well he said a bowl or two so I thought he probably wasn't smoking blunts. Smoking from a pipe shouldn't make you smell at all after ~30 minutes if you ate something/brushed your teeths.

But yeah if the OP is dumb enough to be smoking big fat blunts, people probably know he smokes when he comes in after... But it's probably not only because of the smell.

OH also OP, watch where you keep your weed/pipe if you bring it in with you at school/work, that will smell a whole lot more than your clothes ever will. And 1 or 2 ziploc bag might not be enough to cover it completely once the bag get slightly used.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah well he said a bowl or two so I thought he probably wasn't smoking blunts. Smoking from a pipe shouldn't make you smell at all after ~30 minutes if you ate something/brushed your teeths.

But yeah if the OP is dumb enough to be smoking big fat blunts, people probably know he smokes when he comes in after... But it's probably not only because of the smell.

OH also OP, watch where you keep your weed/pipe if you bring it in with you at school/work, that will smell a whole lot more than your clothes ever will. And 1 or 2 ziploc bag might not be enough to cover it completely once the bag get slightly used.

Oh, I missed that! You're dead on then. And yeah, if you smoke a blunt before work it will be the bloodshot eyes and ultra-stoned demeanor that get you busted rather than the smell.

Which honestly, is fine by me. Weed is no big deal but if you smoke enough before work that it is obviously affecting your performance, your rear end deserves to get fired.

That little pre-grind bowl is worth it's weight in loving gold though.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'm being born!

You'll smell for a bit but it's not gunna be stuck on your clothes for 3 days.

The only time I've experienced with it sticking into clothes and poo poo is when I lived with chronic, every-day-multiple-times-a-day smokers. Eventually our entire house smelled like weed and it was brutal.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

As long as you're not intentionally blowing your hits all over yourself, you should be OK just washing your hands thoroughly, throwing on a little aftershave, and chewing some gum. As another poster said, throwing on a sweatshirt or something before smoking then taking it off afterwards helps quite a bit too. I've noticed if I wash my hands after loading/smoking a bowl the smell is completely gone (from my hands anyway), but my hand reeks for a couple hours after smoking a cigarette, washed or no.

Of course it probably depends on how close of quarters you will be in, but I myself have never been questioned about it.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Shnooks posted:

The only time I've experienced with it sticking into clothes and poo poo is when I lived with chronic, every-day-multiple-times-a-day smokers. Eventually our entire house smelled like weed and it was brutal.

Cracking a window and lighting the occasional scented candle helps tremendously in my household, which houses three frequent smokers and is in close proximity to the neighbors. They've never complained, and the house smells fresh and clean!

As for the smell clinging to your person, if I'm smoking before work, I'll do it before I shower. That way my pajamas smell, but my work clothes and self don't. A little scented body spray (or a light cologne for guys) goes a long way toward alleviating my paranoia.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The smell is much more intense than lingering cigarette smoke, but it dissipates faster and isn't as prone to hanging around in fabrics and stuff like that.

Vaporizers eliminate the smell almost completely. It will just smell a bit like fresh marijuana in the room for a while after using one.

Return of Sextappin
May 6, 2009

If you're worried about the weed smell when you're sober, just imagine how worried about it you'll be when you're high.

Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Return of Sextappin posted:

If you're worried about the weed smell when you're sober, just imagine how worried about it you'll be when you're high.

Not everyone experiences side effects in the same way, in fact some people don't get paranoid or hungry at all when smoking

Dragonsven
Jan 29, 2006

I'm chill. I'm chill as a cucumber, man.

This is why you keep a carb, eye drops, gum, and some scented spray in your car.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If your smoking joints your hands will smell more than anything else.

Return of Sextappin
May 6, 2009

Doddery Meerkat posted:

Not everyone experiences side effects in the same way, in fact some people don't get paranoid or hungry at all when smoking

I envy them.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

I always burn a stick of incense when i smoke. Eliminates any trace of nasty smoke!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

i keep my word and i will kill you like i said
killing me? thats impossible for anyone

KingColliwog posted:

Some people (like me) are extremely good at smelling weed smoke. We know, we just don't want to freak you out.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

From my experience, breath is the main area you can smell weed on a person if you aren't right up in their poo poo and smelling an article of clothing. Hair is probably second easiest to smell it on, but in both cases, it has to be almost right after the fact. 30 minutes or a walk around the block does a good job of losing any odor.

And honestly, if you smoke out doors or blow your smoke out of a window, you won't smell like weed unless its on your breath, and if you eat or drink pretty much anything, that's gone too.

The worst thing ever is to hotbox your car with a blunt or joint, but folks, I've spent the night in a room where we smoked blunt after blunt and bowl after bowl, and in the morning, my two sets of clothes didn't smell poo poo for different. Weed smoke doesn't stick like cigarette smoke. I've smoked weed at work, in my car, walked back into the store, and not had poo poo ever said to me about it, and I work with pricks who would let me know.

Loinworm
Mar 7, 2002

i want to see loinworm going wild on a pussy. shirt on, pants around ankles, hes sweating. hes running wild

I heard that smoking drugs makes you really smart and creative like Tool can anyone confirm/deny?

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...

I've been ninja smoking for the last 8 years of my life and I have to say I'm pretty shocked by some of the responses in this thread. As far as weed smoke sticking around like tobacco smoke, it isn't even a close comparison. If somebody is a cigarette smoker, you can smell it on them. You can smell it on their clothes and their hair, and it'll be noticeable after they sit on your clean couch. Weed smoke smells quite potent (assuming you're smoking good stuff) compared to tobacco, but the smell doesn't linger in the same way.

Smoking stealthily can be done if you're careful. I would wager a guess that the people so far in this thread who feel that smoking weed makes you InstaStinky are only noticing the people who suck at being discreet. You're not going to notice the X number of people who smoked and you didn't notice.

Example. Let's say you smoke a bowl outside, in an open area. The scent might stick to your clothes, depending on what you're wearing and if you exhale into the wind. Afterwards use eye drops to cover the red eyes, gum and/or something to drink to take care of the cotton mouth and possible weed breath. If you have long hair, there could be a residual scent on your hair. A shower will resolve this. However at this point, even if you're smoking White Widow or Northern Lights, it's still going to be a slight odor that somebody who's actively sniffing you would pick up, not "OMG! That guy walked in the room and suddenly I can't breathe!"

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

My sister in law is dating a guy that smokes weed with his housemates. She smells like weed afterward, it gets in her hair and her clothes. They don't mix the weed with tobacco like everyone back in Australia did so it's purely the weed I smell.

If you shower making sure to use soap/bodywash and wash your hair followed by brushing your teeth, chewing some gum and putting on fresh clothes your coworkers aren't going to notice the smell.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

You all smell.

Seriously.

I'm not a smoker, and I have not destroyed part of my sense of smell.

You can take these steps to cover it up somewhat, but it's still there and most everyone knows it.

It's just too much effort to call out all you "clever" people, I got poo poo I gotta do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've noticed, with regards to tobacco smoke, cigarette smoke lingers worse than pipe or cigar smoke. I reason the smoke from the burning paper is the worst-smelling, worst-lingering part.

Still, it does stick to clothing and whatnot, so yes, everyone knows you smoke.

Klaus
Sep 6, 2006

Bum
Bum
I like to bang
on de drum

Have you considered going the smoking jacket route?

Functional and classy!

codebot
Nov 10, 2008

Blunts, joints and spliffs smoke sticks to you and reeks like hell. Pipes too.

Bongs, however (as well as bubblers and vapes) are filtered through water and as a general rule will not stick to you. Just make sure to cover the bowl when you're not hitting it so that loose smoke doesn't get on your clothes.

Alternatively, have a "smoking sweater" that you wear to smoke, then splash some water on your face and use purell to make your hands not smell. Listerine strips work wonders too. This method will work for any type of smoke.

Oh, eyedrops are good too if you get red eyes.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

here's another stealthy smoking tip (think I learned it on these forums):

Use the eyedrops BEFORE you smoke, your eyes don't get red at all, as opposed to trying to get them clear after they're red and squinty, which can take a while.

iRFNA
Sep 15, 2004

by Fistgrrl

If your eyes get red from smoking, you don't smoke often enough. Vaporizers are really nice, though. If you are a habitual smoker, even if you're careful with a vaporizer, people are still gonna get whiffs of the smell. It's incredibly difficult to hide completely.

Mikeluv311v2.0
Dec 21, 2006
What planet do you think this is?!

ThatPersson posted:

I always wash my hands, splash my face a bit, and maybe chew some gum or pop a mint or two. Also, you can put an extra layer on when you smoke and remove it when you are done, that way the extra layer takes the hit.

That's my exact routine. I brush my teeth AND TONGUE if I can because your breath is a huge indicator. Gum sometimes doesn't cover up (that's only when I'm kissing deeply with my girl though). The extra layer is a good idea for certain. When I went with a bunch of friends from school that didn't know I smoked to a rened mountain house, the first night I got called out by people who ended up smoking, but they told me I reeked and I even put cologne on!

Granted we were smoking a j in a car. Also not wise.

In terms of indoors, it doesn't linger nearly as cigarette smoke. Some febreeze, incense (which may also be incriminating), an open window, a fan. Any of these work. Spoofs can also be used.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

i keep my word and i will kill you like i said
killing me? thats impossible for anyone

iRFNA posted:

If your eyes get red from smoking, you don't smoke often enough. Vaporizers are really nice, though. If you are a habitual smoker, even if you're careful with a vaporizer, people are still gonna get whiffs of the smell. It's incredibly difficult to hide completely.
I think it's genetic - one of the most chronic smokers I've ever met had eyes that would turn completely bloodshot every single time and this is a kid that probably spent three hours a day smoking pot (not even going to try to quantify it in number of bowls, joints...)

WaffleLove
Aug 15, 2007

You'd have to smoke a gently caress ton of weed for it to effect the house/that being the main smell in the house to anyone who says different. The only time the smell will get that bad, is if yeah dealing/growing from what I can tell with personal experience.

Yes it noticeable, yes it depends on quality(I find the better the quality the more apt people are to smell it), and what you've smoked outa from my own personal experience whenever I've lit up at work, and or before work.

Bong hits for the win though, and wash yeah hands/face/brush teeth before heading to work, you should be fine..

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

If you're doing a couple of hits off of a dugout on your lunchbreak: if you have your windows down your probably ok. If you're smoking bowls or joints or blunts on your break, unless you work in fast food or delivery of pizza, what the gently caress were you thinking?

For the most part, if you're smoking a cigarette after, you're probably not going to reek of pot. If you don't smoke cigarettes, and you're worried about smelling like pot at work, stop smoking pot before work. If this is your problem, you are the reason its harder to get marijuana legalized. If you have to be high to do your job, chances are you probably need a different job.

doublebubble
Jan 19, 2009

FetusSlapper posted:

If this is your problem, you are the reason its harder to get marijuana legalized.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the reason.. Quite the opposite, actually!

FetusSlapper posted:

If you have to be high to do your job, chances are you probably need a different job.

Definitely agree.. A job's a job though, esp. today.

I'm not talking about getting hardcore blazed before, during, and after work.. There have been a few occasions where I'd take a hit or two off a bong and then head to work, with my "weed kit" in tow (i.e. hand sanitizer, perfume, gum, lotion, eye drops, etc.) I'd never carry weed/smoking devices with me.

I just wasn't sure if the marijuana smoke sits in my clothing or hair like cigarette smoke does.. I can smell cigarette smoke the minute someone comes back from their smoke break and it lingers awhile. From what I gather, marijuana smoke does the same but not as strong or for as long.

Well so far no one has noticed.. And if they have they sure haven't said anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Jenova Project posted:

You all smell.

Seriously.

I'm not a smoker, and I have not destroyed part of my sense of smell.

You can take these steps to cover it up somewhat, but it's still there and most everyone knows it.

It's just too much effort to call out all you "clever" people, I got poo poo I gotta do.

You are suffering from confirmation bias. If it's been more than thirty minute since the person smoked and they were careful while smoking + used some method to make sure they didn't smell (cleaning their hands, brushing their teeth for example) you won't smell it. I've made the test often enough with my dad back when I was a teenager and he's the guy who has the best sense of smell I've ever witnessed and he could never smell it if I made a concious effort to conceal it.

The most important part is being carefull while smoking. Always cover your bowl between hits and make sure you blow the smoke away from you.

«2 »