Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jam2 posted:

What's the recommended brand?

Arctic Silver. Scrub off all the thermal paste currently on there, put a little dab in the middle, and replace the heatsink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Isn't Windows Live Mail suppose to show something on the taskbar button for when there's new mail? I decided to try it out and I don't get anything.

EDIT: Weird, I just got the new e-mail notification thing just now, even though I haven't actually gotten new mail at that moment. Maybe it's not working right with IMAP?

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 12, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jam2 posted:

Did this. Thanks for the tip.

Aero Snap doesn't work on my dual monitor setup the way I would like. I can only snap windows to the extreme right and extreme left of my workspace. Attempts to snap windows to the right side of monitor 1 and left side of monitor 2 fail.

Use the Shortcut keys. Works fine for me. Mouse doesn't seem to work, probably because you're not hitting the side of the workspace.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Casao posted:

Use the Shortcut keys. Works fine for me. Mouse doesn't seem to work, probably because you're not hitting the side of the workspace.

This, the mouse snap is not tied to the border of the monitor, it's tied to the border of the screen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jam2 posted:

I'm preferential to Noctua NT-H1 compound. Arctic Silver is great too. Saying that though, some site did a test of several different compounds (HardOCP maybe?), and even the worst performing compound produced temperatures only a few degrees higher than the best performing compound. It's hard pick a "bad" thermal compound these days.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Casao posted:

Use the Shortcut keys
Perfect

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

syphon posted:

Is there any tool that works with Win7 x64 to show the temp of my Radeon 4800 series? (ATITool seems the obvious answer, but the driver isn't signed so it won't work on x64)

GPU-Z works fine. Doesn't need a driver. Techpowerup.com

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Lum posted:

GPU-Z works fine. Doesn't need a driver. Techpowerup.com
That's perfect, thanks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jam2 posted:

Did this. Thanks for the tip.

Aero Snap doesn't work on my dual monitor setup the way I would like. I can only snap windows to the extreme right and extreme left of my workspace. Attempts to snap windows to the right side of monitor 1 and left side of monitor 2 fail.
correct.
You can put the taskbar between the two screens and it'll snap on the inside of that monitor (aka, taskbar on the right side of the left screen, it'll snap on the left and right of the left screen, only the right of right screen). Thats how I have my duals setup. or, as above, use the keyboard.

AFAIK MS is working to fix this, but its not out yet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jam2 posted:

Arctic Silver, NT-H1, even MX-3 (this stuff is the thermal paste of the gods) I'd recommend Céramique because its non-conductive (if you get this on the logic board it will not kill it) and if this is your first time doing this you don't have to worry about getting messy. In fact for all first time builders I tell them to use this first till they get the hang of installation.

Just remember proper cleaning techniques (clean it off with high-purity isopropyl alcohol AKA the 90% rubbing alcohol).

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 12, 2009

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

What processor is it? 62C is pretty high for processors these days. My E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHZ idles at 38, and maxes out around 55 (though this is with a nice Zalman heatsink). My A64 6000+ at 3.2GHZ was getting about 55+ but I don't think I mounted the heatsink right on that one. At half speed, any processor should NOT be at 62C.

It's a Dual Core Intel, Merom core. I don't know the name of it off the top of my head

But it's fixed itself.. I just ran CPU-Z to check the processor kind and it told me it's running at 13x (1733mhz) and it's at 64 degrees.

This is a laptop...

The only change I've made is actually shutting down. I've reset a few times but not yet shut down (until earlier). Should that make a difference? Who knows.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ilkhan posted:

correct.
You can put the taskbar between the two screens and it'll snap on the inside of that monitor (aka, taskbar on the right side of the left screen, it'll snap on the left and right of the left screen, only the right of right screen). Thats how I have my duals setup. or, as above, use the keyboard.

AFAIK MS is working to fix this, but its not out yet.

Vertical taskbar in between two monitors? You've done bad and you should FEEL bad.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

incoherent posted:

Arctic Silver, NT-H1, even MX-3 (this stuff is the thermal paste of the gods) I'd recommend Céramique because its non-conductive (if you get this on the logic board it will not kill it) and if this is your first time doing this you don't have to worry about getting messy. In fact for all first time builders I tell them to use this first till they get the hang of installation.

Just remember proper cleaning techniques (clean it off with high-purity isopropyl alcohol AKA the 90% rubbing alcohol).

I was checking out this kit. Should I just buy some rubbing alcohol instead?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jam2 posted:

I was checking out this kit. Should I just buy some rubbing alcohol instead?

That kit will work better than alcohol, but of course you can probably buy the alcohol at your local pharmacy for a lot cheaper. Whichever you prefer would work fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I say just buy some paper towels and 90% isopropyl alcohol, it definitely won't cost 15 dollars, and a tube of thermal paste should only cost five dollars for a tube bigger than that. That kit sounds like a ripoff.

Just take the heatsink off and use a dry paper towel to remove the bulk of any thermal paste or pads that might be on both, then wet a new paper towel with the alcohol to get any residual paste off. Since it is a dual core, just put a small bead of paste in the center and press the heatsink down level and evenly so the paste spreads out and reattach the fan and whatever holds the heatsink down.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Kazy posted:

How did you install the RTM? Was it an in-place upgrade or did you do a clean install?

Clean install.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Cojawfee posted:

I say just buy some paper towels and 90% isopropyl alcohol, it definitely won't cost 15 dollars, and a tube of thermal paste should only cost five dollars for a tube bigger than that. That kit sounds like a ripoff.

Just take the heatsink off and use a dry paper towel to remove the bulk of any thermal paste or pads that might be on both, then wet a new paper towel with the alcohol to get any residual paste off. Since it is a dual core, just put a small bead of paste in the center and press the heatsink down level and evenly so the paste spreads out and reattach the fan and whatever holds the heatsink down.

Where can I get paste for five bucks no shipping?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jam2 posted:

Where can I get paste for five bucks no shipping?

Order two tubes and get free shipping.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I know it's not recommended, but is it possible to upgrade 7100 to the RTM without having to do a "custom install" by editing the cversion.ini like you could with <7077 - 7100?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Jam2 posted:

My processor operates between 60C-75C at 1332MHz. Dell XPS M1330 laptop, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. Under heavy load, it locks up and throttles down to 733MHz, rendering my laptop completely useless. Yay.

I have exactly the same machine as you. I use RMclock to undervolt my CPU, and Now the system is stable at 64C at 100% load for three hours. Battery life is much better in general too.

edit: I've had two mainboards that both have heat issues. RMClock seems to an excellent way to manage it.

edit 2: this link has all the information as well as a link to a signed x64 driver for RMClock.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

I can only speak to my experience, but I went from 1.25v to 0.95 with no issue. According to the guide it has potential to cause instability leading to blue screens. Google revealed no further risk.

The hottest I've had it get since is 64C whilst playing 720p H.264 video. It idles at 45ish.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 12, 2009

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

200th Poster posted:

I have exactly the same machine as you. I use RMclock to undervolt my CPU, and Now the system is stable at 64C at 100% load for three hours. Battery life is much better in general too.

How do you get that to run in W7? It tells me the driver isn't signed.

Also, what are the possible implications for undervolting the processor? Instability?

I'd like to be able to encode something on this computer in handbrake but I'm afraid it'll shut itself down again

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

m2pt5 posted:

I know it's not recommended, but is it possible to upgrade 7100 to the RTM without having to do a "custom install" by editing the cversion.ini like you could with <7077 - 7100?

If it's possible at all, you need the Ultimate version of the same architecture. If you have that, then give it a shot, the worst that happens is that it won't let you.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

m2pt5 posted:

Yup, change the value in your cversion.ini and you'll be fine. As the above poster said, you can't go across architectures (x86 to or from x64) but otherwise you shouldn't have any major issues

My question from a few pages back:

grrowl posted:

If I have the RTM installed as Ultimate, but my MSDNAA gives me a Professional key, is 'downgrading' to professional as simple as running the setup again and selecting to install Professional over my current install?

I'm just wondering what steps I should take to do this (upgrade? in-place install?)

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
I think Windows 7 64 just bricked my brand new computer..

Bought a new PC that had vista on it, immediately upgraded to 7/64. Has NEVER been connected to the internet, I ONLY use it to produce/write music. Some of my software has acted a little funky/random crashes, but nothing huge and it's been fine.

About 5 hours ago I shut down the computer for a routine restart. When I started it back up, I got nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left. That's it, out of nowhere.

Googling a bit I found that it might be a BIOS problem. Specifically because the BIOS on my motherboard had an issue that was solved with the latest release of it that was titled something along the lines of "computer hangups when using Sony SDHC 4gb memory cards". I just got a 4GB flash card three days ago but everythings been fine with it, and it isn't Sony and it isn't HC, it's pretty old. And I'd imagine that would mean crashes and such, but this? I dunno.

I can't upgrade the BIOS anyhow, because the loving thing only comes as an .exe and I have no way of accessing it without my OS. I tried Windows 7 as a boot disk but the .exe said my computer wasn't compatible for the upgrade! Even though the BIOS was MADE for my computer.

Edit: Well, just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (32-Bit) over my old version and nothing changed. Thinking of installing a BIOS for a different motherboard just to give it a go. My motherboard is an MSI MS-7548, a motherboard MSI only made for HP and the BIOS is not listed on their site. Thinking of trying the MSI K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S motherboard BIOS on mine because that one seems to be the closest specs to mine, if not exact? Not sure on that as I'm only semi-good with these things. I'm about ready to punch some drywall at the moment though, as I need to get back to work ASAP and this poo poo is killing me.

I Dig Gardening fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 12, 2009

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's not the result of trying a bios mod to get a oem version of W7 running without activation is it?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

I Dig Gardening posted:

Thinking of installing a BIOS for a different motherboard just to give it a go. My motherboard is an MSI MS-7548, a motherboard MSI only made for HP and the BIOS is not listed on their site. Thinking of trying the MSI K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S motherboard BIOS on mine because that one seems to be the closest specs to mine, if not exact? Not sure on that as I'm only semi-good with these things. I'm about ready to punch some drywall at the moment though, as I need to get back to work ASAP and this poo poo is killing me.

Not sure about the rest of your problem, but this is almost certainly a bad idea.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

c0burn posted:

WLM has mail/calendar in one app
So I have to run WLM or Outlook to get the same functionalty I had in Vista with a stand-alone app. That's bullshit! Here's what I ended up doing:
  • From my Vista installation, copied Windows Calendar from \Program Files into my (32 bit) Windows 7 program files directory.
  • Copied my calendars from Vista's user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Calendar into the same location under Windows 7.
  • Launch calendar to verify.
  • Created a basic scheduling task to run WinCal.exe with the "/reminder" flag. Make it start at logon with an indefinite reoccurance that suits your fancy (I did 30 min).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I Dig Gardening posted:

So copying some files to your hard drive absolutely and permanently destroyed the *entire* system?

I would think there was a better chance of something else going wrong. Maybe a bad component stopped working, and all you have to do is just replace that one component.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I dunno what's wrong with your computer but flashing a bios from a different motherboard is a bad idea and will make your problem worse.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

kapinga posted:

If it's possible at all, you need the Ultimate version of the same architecture. If you have that, then give it a shot, the worst that happens is that it won't let you.

The RC is Ultimate, and the version they're giving out at the Microsoft "launch party" things is (reportedly) also Ultimate, so I'll give it a shot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

m2pt5 posted:

The RC is Ultimate, and the version they're giving out at the Microsoft "launch party" things is (reportedly) also Ultimate, so I'll give it a shot.

It is definitely Ultimate.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

The launch party version are Ultimate Signature Edition (which amounts to nothing but a pallet swap for the case) with install discs for both x86 and x64.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

An OS can't brick your computer, because it doesn't modify your hardware. Before doing any dangerous BIOS "upgrades," check your motherboard. See if there are any bulging capacitors (they should all be perfectly flat on top, if slightly bulging or leaking something, they are bad). If you have a bad one it would have to be replaced (no one does this, you would have to do it yourself, which I doubt you can, so just ignore this part) or the motherboard has to be replaced. If not that check all of your other hardware, do a memtest, and a hard drive diagnostic.

Never ever immediately assume it is your BIOS because chances are it isn't if your computer POSTS. Things will be made worse if some other component is malfunctioning and causes the BIOS update to screw up, then your board really will be bricked.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

I Dig Gardening posted:

Bought a new PC that had vista on it, immediately upgraded to 7/64. Has NEVER been connected to the internet, I ONLY use it to produce/write music. Some of my software has acted a little funky/random crashes, but nothing huge and it's been fine.

About 5 hours ago I shut down the computer for a routine restart. When I started it back up, I got nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left. That's it, out of nowhere.

Is this after the bios checks? I'm guessing that because apparently you can still boot to CDs. You're not "bricked".

quote:

Googling a bit I found that it might be a BIOS problem. Specifically because the BIOS on my motherboard had an issue that was solved with the latest release of it that was titled something along the lines of "computer hangups when using Sony SDHC 4gb memory cards". I just got a 4GB flash card three days ago but everythings been fine with it, and it isn't Sony and it isn't HC, it's pretty old. And I'd imagine that would mean crashes and such, but this? I dunno.

I can't upgrade the BIOS anyhow, because the loving thing only comes as an .exe and I have no way of accessing it without my OS. I tried Windows 7 as a boot disk but the .exe said my computer wasn't compatible for the upgrade! Even though the BIOS was MADE for my computer.

Edit: Well, just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (32-Bit) over my old version and nothing changed. Thinking of installing a BIOS for a different motherboard just to give it a go. My motherboard is an MSI MS-7548, a motherboard MSI only made for HP and the BIOS is not listed on their site. Thinking of trying the MSI K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S motherboard BIOS on mine because that one seems to be the closest specs to mine, if not exact? Not sure on that as I'm only semi-good with these things. I'm about ready to punch some drywall at the moment though, as I need to get back to work ASAP and this poo poo is killing me.

Please don't do that unless you're willing to go out and buy a new motherboard if it fails.

If you get the flashing cursor after the bios screens, then it is most likely a problem finding the master boot record. The first thing to check is the order of the boot devices. Sometimes when you have a flash drive in there the bios will put it for in the boot order, leaving your with the flashing cursor. Disconnect all flash drives and memory cards, and if you have more than one hard drive, disconnect all the boot drive. Then try booting again.

Still failing? Boot to the Win7 CD, go into recovery mode and run bootrec. Details are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Cheesus posted:

So I have to run WLM or Outlook to get the same functionalty I had in Vista with a stand-alone app. That's bullshit! Here's what I ended up doing:
  • From my Vista installation, copied Windows Calendar from \Program Files into my (32 bit) Windows 7 program files directory.
  • Copied my calendars from Vista's user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Calendar into the same location under Windows 7.
  • Launch calendar to verify.
  • Created a basic scheduling task to run WinCal.exe with the "/reminder" flag. Make it start at logon with an indefinite reoccurance that suits your fancy (I did 30 min).

A fancy hack instead of a supported and updated free download of Windows Live Mail... because it wasn't preinstalled. Okay.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Factor Mystic posted:

A fancy hack instead of a supported and updated free download of Windows Live Mail... because it wasn't preinstalled. Okay.
Are you saying that I don't need to keep WLM up and running to get the calender notifications? Because it sure sounds that way.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Why not use Sunbird??

Free, open, multi-platform, and supports the CalDAV standard so you can sync it with Google Calendar and other CalDAV services.

Using a Microsoft calendar locks you into whatever app you're using, whatever version of Windows you're using, and whatever service it may or not support. As you've already seen, this can gently caress you over in just 1 release of Windows.

Sunbird will run fine on Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7, Linux, Mac OS X, etc, etc, etc. It works with the Calendar standard CalDAV, so it will sync up with Google Calendar, Zimbra Calendar, Apple iCal, or whatever. So even if it dies, you can just use another calendar that works with the same standar.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
Running bootrec.exe at the command prompt and using /fixmbr and /fixboot fixed it! YAAAY! Thank you everyone, you guys are great!

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Factor Mystic posted:

I sympathize with him, because the calendar in WLM is inferior to the Vista one (no tasks, it's uglier, etc.) and is another thing that I miss from Vista.

Sunbird is looking pretty nice these days, though…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Are you saying that I don't need to keep WLM up and running to get the calender notifications? Because it sure sounds that way.
Sure sounds like you're running WinCal.exe all the time.