Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«521 »
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I've never heard anything but good things about MSE. Microsoft is stepping up their game. This nerd concurs.

MSE kills performance on every system we've had it on. Even quad cores.

It defaults to scanning everything and disk activity becomes a bottleneck.

Not only that, it nags users with tray popups reminding them to Update it. They are non admins and can't update it, and Automatic Updates hasn't been updating it.

I work at a university, and deploying Microsoft Security Essentials to our department turned out to be a BIG mistake. I have to remove it now from all systems because it's too much trouble.

AVG or Avast are the only free ones I'd recommend. AVG version 9 and Avast version 5 are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

AVG or Avast are the only free ones I'd recommend. AVG version 9 and Avast version 5 are great.
And MSE is the only one I recommend anymore because I've had the exact opposite experience.

It's got a minimal footprint, it updates itself without requiring babysitting, and the only time I've ever noticed it was when I plugged in a buddy's flash drive with a virus on it. That's about all I ask for from my antivirus.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I hope this isn't a repeat, if it is I apologize. This is my first time in this subforum.

Several months ago I tried installing Windows 7 over my Windows Vista. I had a lot of problems with it, so I rolled back to Vista. A few weeks ago I decided to give it another go. This time (perhaps because of an update that Windows downloaded) it went much smoother and in no time I was running Windows 7 (64-bit) without any problems.

Except one: at some point, maybe during the first install attempt, Java got completely hosed on my computer. Last week, my wife needed Java for a website that allows her to do some work from home. Nothing I did could fix it.

In a nutshell, the problem (as it is now) is that Java is not installed but Windows thinks it is. I've tried 4 or 5 different methods of completely removing Java. But whenever I try to install it, it says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?". I say Yes, and then it tells me "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I think it's possible that Windows Installer 5 is hosed too.

So I'm asking about any of these possibilities:

1) Some way to force Java to install?
2) Some way to fix Windows Installer 5? (it doesn't appear to be available for download anywhere)
3) Can I install Windows 7 32-bit over Windows 7 64-bit?

I imagine that #3 will solve a lot of my headaches, but I'm hoping that doing so won't force me to reinstall all my programs. The transition from Vista to 7 was very smooth, I didn't really have to do anything except download the new email client.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

strwrsxprt posted:

And MSE is the only one I recommend anymore because I've had the exact opposite experience.

It's got a minimal footprint, it updates itself without requiring babysitting, and the only time I've ever noticed it was when I plugged in a buddy's flash drive with a virus on it. That's about all I ask for from my antivirus.

This. MSE has been 100% painless on every system I've installed it on, even an old AAO netbook.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

I used to be a huge Avast fan boy, that was until Microsoft released MSE. MSE is lightweight, I never notice it and it runs great on older hardware too. It doesn't have annoying loving popups and is ad free. I'm not sure why the other guy is have negative effects with it but it really is the best free anti-virus out.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

strwrsxprt posted:

How lovely is your computer that it can take 10 minutes to boot into Windows 7?

I thought the days of pressing the power button and walking away to make coffee ended with Windows XP.

I've a few programs I think that I have to run at start.

mIRC
Steam
Pidgin
netmeter
tweetdeck
xfire
setpoint
cfosspeed
fraps
power supply program

syscall girl
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not in the business. I am the business.

Hung Yuri posted:

mIRC
Steam
Pidgin
netmeter
tweetdeck
xfire
setpoint
cfosspeed
fraps
power supply program

There are programs that let you delay and otherwise futz around with the boot order so that you can get the OS running and not have it choke like that. 10 minutes is pretty redonkulous.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Hung Yuri posted:

mIRC
Steam
Pidgin
netmeter
tweetdeck
xfire
setpoint
cfosspeed
fraps
power supply program

You have to launch a screen recorder, multiple chat clients, and steam at startup? Those are all things you could easily just launch when you need them.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

See the unpatched Java vulnerability found by Tavis Ormandy. If you run as a normal user you might get prompted when it tries to run a program in your background. No prompt if you're an admin so that's real convenient I guess.

Update 20 is supposed to take care of it. Almost everyone has missed that it's available. Allegedly Tavis advised them of the issue in December and didn't release the info until it was patched last Wednesday.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

mobn posted:

You have to launch a screen recorder, multiple chat clients, and steam at startup? Those are all things you could easily just launch when you need them.

I want to use them as soon as my computer goes on.

If i dont put on fraps on startup, i'll never remember to turn it on when I'm playing a game until after I was trying to take a screenshot.

I also had firefox in my startup folder but ever since firefox's recent 3.6 and 3.7 alphas were performing so poorly and I switched to chrome I haven't really remembered.

I use steam for chatting probably more than i use irc now.

syscall girl
Nov 6, 2009

Ryokurin posted:

Update 20 is supposed to take care of it. Almost everyone has missed that it's available. Allegedly Tavis advised them of the issue in December and didn't release the info until it was patched last Wednesday.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm getting 20 now, but I swear when I first heard of the zero day vulnerability Sun didn't have the patch up and the version number available was the one that was reputedly flawed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Still me @ ur poasting
HD Edition

strwrsxprt posted:

I agree, it is an awesome application, no nagging (unless the machine hasn't been run for a few days and hasn't had an update) and just works. A great job by Microsoft.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Hung Yuri posted:

power supply program
I have to bite. What the hell?

syscall girl
Nov 6, 2009

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

UPS monitor?

EvilMuppet
Jul 28, 2006

Bork Bork Bork

Does anyone have the drivers for a wireless Xbox controller(For Win7 64bit)? The official page seems to be broken. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/d...g&sku=JR9-00001

Plorkyeran
Mar 21, 2007

Plorky Pig, let's get that Maria+Holic typesetting done yeah? You're starting to develop the requtation of lazy and slow, so ammend that for your own sake

mobn posted:

Chat clients that aren't left running at all times aren't really very useful.

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

EvilMuppet posted:

Does anyone have the drivers for a wireless Xbox controller(For Win7 64bit)? The official page seems to be broken. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/d...g&sku=JR9-00001

When I plugged in the dongle it installed them automatically for me. It might be in windows update.

EvilMuppet
Jul 28, 2006

Bork Bork Bork

Captain Novolin posted:

When I plugged in the dongle it installed them automatically for me. It might be in windows update.

Ahhh, I had driver install via update turned off, it installed after I changed the setting. Thanks.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I've got a video encoded using the Motion Pixels codec that I'd like to re-encode into something more ipod compatible - I've tried runing it through SUPER and Videora Ipod Converter, and both error out without even starting.

I've got the Motion Pixels codec installed on my machine, so it can be played through WMP. Any thoughts?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

Chat clients that aren't left running at all times aren't really very useful.

Exactly.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

It's a ups monitor that came with my power supply. It doesn't have to run at startup, but I like that it's there. Plus every now and then the program launches a self-test of the hardware (like maybe once a week that takes 3 seconds) and tells me if it's doing okay and logs any errors it has (no errors in the past 24 weeks)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

"That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." Do not flinch from experiences that might destroy your beliefs. The thought you cannot think controls you more than thoughts you speak aloud.

Xenomorph posted:

MSE kills performance on every system we've had it on. Even quad cores.

It defaults to scanning everything and disk activity becomes a bottleneck.

Not only that, it nags users with tray popups reminding them to Update it. They are non admins and can't update it, and Automatic Updates hasn't been updating it.

I work at a university, and deploying Microsoft Security Essentials to our department turned out to be a BIG mistake. I have to remove it now from all systems because it's too much trouble.

You are the only person I ever see saying this. It makes me think that it's some other thing you do with your systems that makes MSE behave this way.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

The only quirk I noticed with MSE when comparing it to avast 5 which I use, was that MSE seemed to use about 3x more memory, despite people saying it was lightweight. All Avasts processes added up are about 40 - 50MB, just MSE's scanning engine was using up about 150MB for me. Other than that I never noticed MSE killing performance in any way.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'd like to regain some diskspace on an SSD and since I don't use hibernation with my laptop (only sleep occasionally), I was wondering if hiberfil.sys was essential in some way? Is it used like a failsafe similar to what OS X does?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

I believe hiberfil.sys will be automatically deleted if you completely disable hibernation.

edit: "windows failsafe" sounds like an oxymoron

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Mine updates itself automatically, integrates perfectly with Automatic Updates, and can be updated by non-admins, so this sounds a lot like a problem on your end vv

natlampe posted:

I'd like to regain some diskspace on an SSD and since I don't use hibernation with my laptop (only sleep occasionally), I was wondering if hiberfil.sys was essential in some way? Is it used like a failsafe similar to what OS X does?

The default sleep mode will save the computer's state in RAM and write it to disk, so if your laptop's battery eventually drains away you won't lose stuff. It's basically a combination of sleep and hibernation. If you want to disable it, look for something mentioning "hybrid sleep" in the power options control panel.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

I believe hiberfil.sys will be automatically deleted if you completely disable hibernation.
Yes, but does it cause any problems if I turn it off?

m2pt5 posted:

edit: "windows failsafe" sounds like an oxymoron
OS X uses something called safe sleep if it runs out of power. I figure that Windows uses hibernation in a similar way.

ninepints posted:

The default sleep mode will save the computer's state in RAM and write it to disk, so if your laptop's battery eventually drains away you won't lose stuff. It's basically a combination of sleep and hibernation. If you want to disable it, look for something mentioning "hybrid sleep" in the power options control panel.
I'll use "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" as per kb920730.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

How do I add a link to my Dropbox folder under in the right side of my start menu? Under the avatar there are links to "User / Documents / Pictures / Music" and I'd like to add "Dropbox" under there.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

natlampe posted:

Yes, but does it cause any problems if I turn it off?

It shouldn't. To my knowledge, hibernation is completely optional; all it does is dump the memory to disk when shutting down, and restore it on next startup, to make startup faster.

Ziir posted:

How do I add a link to my Dropbox folder under in the right side of my start menu? Under the avatar there are links to "User / Documents / Pictures / Music" and I'd like to add "Dropbox" under there.

A quick Google search tells me that you can't directly add arbitrary links to there, but it is possible to remap them (and possibly rename them) via registry hacks.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2010 around 17:51

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ziir posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5505246/add-y...s-7s-start-menu

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

You are the only person I ever see saying this. It makes me think that it's some other thing you do with your systems that makes MSE behave this way.

Honestly I have seen it myself on an old XP laptop - it had some PC Tools antivirus etc. installed on it and it took about 5 or 10 minutes to fully boot, and the disk activity light was locked solid - it was incredibly unresponsive. I removed that suite and the computer ran fine, so I thought I'd put MSE on - exact same result, the MSE process was chomping on CPU time and I couldn't see anything conflicting, so I don't know what that's about.

It also seems to have a problem with some files, the real-time scanner was choking on an installer I'd downloaded every time I opened that folder (or the Downloads window in Firefox since it was referenced in there). I had to disable real-time protection to get things responsive again. Apart from these issues though it's been great

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

natlampe posted:

OS X uses something called safe sleep if it runs out of power. I figure that Windows uses hibernation in a similar way.
Laptops will usually have an option (enabled by default) to go into hibernation when the battery is extremely low. I assume that wouldn't work with hibernation disabled.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Both hibernate and sleep mode won't work on my computer. I've got enough space on the system drive, but it just goes black for a brief moment before I'm greeted with the lock screen. powercfg /lastwake gives me zero. Any ideas?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

Kirby Gear Solid 3:
Snake Eater

Keito posted:

Both hibernate and sleep mode won't work on my computer. I've got enough space on the system drive, but it just goes black for a brief moment before I'm greeted with the lock screen. powercfg /lastwake gives me zero. Any ideas?

I had to disable "allow wake timers" under my power settings to get my media pc to stay hibernated. I sort of disabled any way for stuff to wake the machine, so maybe my scorched earth policy isn't the best, but I think that wake timers did the job.

revolther
May 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Honestly I have seen it myself on an old XP laptop - it had some PC Tools antivirus etc. installed on it and it took about 5 or 10 minutes to fully boot, and the disk activity light was locked solid - it was incredibly unresponsive. I removed that suite and the computer ran fine, so I thought I'd put MSE on - exact same result, the MSE process was chomping on CPU time and I couldn't see anything conflicting, so I don't know what that's about.
This is the complete system scan all anti-virus do upon the first run and will usually try to do every time they run until it's been completed at least once. If they can't verify the security of your system, they can't ensure it remains that way.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 4, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Is there anyway of turning off video previews but at the same time keep the photo previews when I'm within a folder?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My wife has a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. It has one gig of RAM and it's a netbook, so needless to say, it's not the speediest thing in the world.

My understanding from searching around here and elsewhere is that ReadyBoost is only useful for systems with one gig or less. Her netbook can be upgraded to two gigs, though the cheapest module I can find on Newegg is $48.

With that said:
*Would she see an increase in performance using a flash drive and ReadyBoost? If so, how big a flash drive makes the most sense?
*Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade to two gigs would give a greater performance boost than a flash drive and ReadyBoost?
*And also, I assume that if it was upgraded to two gigs, there would no longer be any point (if there ever was one) in using ReadyBoost....

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My wife has a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. It has one gig of RAM and it's a netbook, so needless to say, it's not the speediest thing in the world.

My understanding from searching around here and elsewhere is that ReadyBoost is only useful for systems with one gig or less. Her netbook can be upgraded to two gigs, though the cheapest module I can find on Newegg is $48.

With that said:
*Would she see an increase in performance using a flash drive and ReadyBoost? If so, how big a flash drive makes the most sense?
*Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade to two gigs would give a greater performance boost than a flash drive and ReadyBoost?
*And also, I assume that if it was upgraded to two gigs, there would no longer be any point (if there ever was one) in using ReadyBoost....

Two gigs of ram will certainly minimize the performance effect that readyboost will have, though readyboost will still marginally increase performance. I wouldn't bother with the annoyance of a thumb stick sticking out of what's supposed to be an ultra portable form factor.

The best way to say I love you is definitely with an extra gig of ram.

Hungry Computer
Nov 12, 2008

Hungry for floppies.

Sojourner posted:

Two gigs of ram will certainly minimize the performance effect that readyboost will have, though readyboost will still marginally increase performance. I wouldn't bother with the annoyance of a thumb stick sticking out of what's supposed to be an ultra portable form factor.

The best way to say I love you is definitely with an extra gig of ram.

Well if the netbook has a card reader you could just stick a SD card in there to use readyboost with, then it probably wont stick out much (if any).

But really, it's not worth the trouble if getting another gig of ram is an option.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Using a decently fast SD card for Readyboost will help if the hard drive in the netbook is particularly slow.

While you should certainly spring for the extra gig of ram as soon as possible, it won't hurt to pick up a cheap but decently fast SD card to keep in the slot at all times for what will essentially be a faster pagefile, which will help with a lot of things.

fishmech fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2010 around 14:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop from Vista to 7. I read a few articles published before 7 came out that it would increase laptop battery life by almost 20%. I was wondering if this turned out to actually be true? Anyone have experience with windows 7 on a laptop and can attest to it increasing battery life?

«521 »