Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Ah, I figured out why my networking card was so bad. It turns out that Windows 7 and Linksys WMP54G don't mix well. The solution is to download the Ralink RT266x driver and use that driver instead. So far, it's actually stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

phosdex posted:

I've got an Nvidia Geforce 260 and under XP it would clock down to 300MHz (576 is normal) pretty much anytime I wasn't playing a game. I could even have a windowed game in background and it would clock down until I brought the game to the top.

Mind if I ask what you used to check clock speeds? ATi tool and rivatuner need to turn off device signature something-or-other and utilities that came with my card don't even install.

edit: nevermind, I pulled a generic MB / Graphics card monitoring app off the manufacturers website.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 17, 2009

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I cannot get Planescape Torment to work :( No go with compatibility mode or virtual XP. Running x64 7100. Anyone else had any luck?

Data
Jan 11, 2005
Just spent ~5 hours attempting an install. After numerous freezes and blue screens (the various internet fixes re: ACPI/USBs didn't work), I'm left with XP and 20Gbs of windows 7 files that I can't loving delete no matter what.

Ughh, gently caress this. Having a lovely install experience kills any enthusiasm I have for a new OS.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

evobatman posted:

I cannot get Planescape Torment to work :( No go with compatibility mode or virtual XP. Running x64 7100. Anyone else had any luck?

It's running fine for me with the same setup. I did a fresh install of it and it didn't even need compatibility modes or anything.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

General Emergency posted:

It's running fine for me with the same setup. I did a fresh install of it and it didn't even need compatibility modes or anything.

Which version are you running? I'm trying to install from the 4 cd-version, and nothing happens. setup.exe*32 is running, but nothing visible on the screen.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Data posted:

Just spent ~5 hours attempting an install. After numerous freezes and blue screens (the various internet fixes re: ACPI/USBs didn't work), I'm left with XP and 20Gbs of windows 7 files that I can't loving delete no matter what.

Ughh, gently caress this. Having a lovely install experience kills any enthusiasm I have for a new OS.

What kind of PC are you using, and which version are you installing? Are you trying some kind of dual boot and several OS'es on one disk, or are you doing a clean install?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I'm having a problem that smells very much like a Windows problem, but may end up being program-specific (Opera)

Using a standard user account - every time I open Opera, UAC activates and asks me for my admin password. Naturally, the reason for this is cause "Run Opera as Administrator" is checked in the user permissions.

The problem is that it's also grayed out so I can't uncheck it. Is there a trick to this I'm missing? Why is Windows demanding that I run Opera with admin rights?

I tried completely uninstalling Opera and did a deep registry scan with Revo to remove all traces of it. Reinstalling it gives me the same behavior. What the crap?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
If you open an elevated explorer can you change the properties?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

c0burn posted:

If you open an elevated explorer can you change the properties?
I just gave it a try, but it doesn't work :(

For the Opera exe itself, I've tried giving all different combinations of users all different combinations of permisisons, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. No matter how much control I manually give, I can't get it to run un-elevated.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

evobatman posted:

Which version are you running? I'm trying to install from the 4 cd-version, and nothing happens. setup.exe*32 is running, but nothing visible on the screen.

I have the original 4 CD version of it. Did you try forcing the setup to run as administrator?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and for some reason, Windows Live Photo Gallery acts weird on it. It won't show up in the "Set your default programs" list.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Data posted:

You need to better become familiar with your hardware and Windows/NTFS permissions.

- To delete the files, give yourself ownership on all items. Make sure to apply to child objects.
- Remove all permissions (to make sure and remove any Deny permissions that may be set). Apply to child objects again.
- Give someone like "Everyone" full permissions. And of course don't forget to apply to child objects.

Now, Windows 7 should NOT blue screen unless something is very wrong. Bad ISO? Bad DVD drive? Bad RAM? System over heating? Dust? Bulging caps? Failing hard drive? Crap drivers?

What kind of system do you have? Age? Motherboard? CPU? Have you ever ran MemTest86+?

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!
I have speakers plugged into the back and that worked for a while but now suddenly Windows 7 seems to think they aren't plugged in anymore? The login screen plays the theme music so I know the speakers are plugged in right, but as soon as I get to the desktop the sound just dies. Anyone getting this?

Absinthe
Jan 9, 2004

mofmog posted:

I have speakers plugged into the back and that worked for a while but now suddenly Windows 7 seems to think they aren't plugged in anymore? The login screen plays the theme music so I know the speakers are plugged in right, but as soon as I get to the desktop the sound just dies. Anyone getting this?

Do you have more than one sound device? I have a USB audio device and on onboard sound card and Windows 7 seems to pick one at random on boot sometimes. Even after setting a default.

And since I brought it up...

Has anyone found a good configuration/driver for nforce2 motherboards? Specifically the audio.
I let windows update install the realtek ac'97 and I have working sound but it's poppy and crackly.
It skips the most often when un-minimizing windows and during a lot of typing.

Absinthe fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 17, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
(On startup), programs like Xfire require to be run with admin permission to perform certain tasks, and it's probably not the only one to do so. Where exactly do I grant such programs the intrinsic permission - allowing UAC to take a break, too - whenever it's started?

I've checked the Security (Permissions) pane, albeit quickly, but haven't been able to pinpoint the exact parameter to tamper with.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?
I switched from XP to Windows 7 with 2GB of RAM and I can say that it was a painful experience. The only program I had a issue with was WoW though. The thing would thrash like hell as WoW in Dalaran at 1920x1080 with everything maxed takes about 1.2GB, then add Firefox at 160MB, Steam at 100MB, DropBox at 50MB, apparently it was too much because god it was awful. Never had thrashing in XP. It was a desktop though so I spent $24 and bumped it up to 6GB and it runs like a dream now.

(Unrelated) I'm having a problem though with MediaPlayerClassic where I can't watch HD movies over the network. It peaks out at 9MB/s and stutters like a mofo. I can copy the file at 50MBit (it is over powerline networking) and it plays fine locally. Is there some reason the bandwidth is restricted in MPC or some way to make it read faster?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

General Emergency posted:

I have the original 4 CD version of it. Did you try forcing the setup to run as administrator?

It suddenly worked on its own, without any more fiddling. Don't know why, but crisis averted!

Had to set to software graphics though, but that doesn't matter.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

evobatman posted:

It suddenly worked on its own, without any more fiddling. Don't know why, but crisis averted!

Had to set to software graphics though, but that doesn't matter.
You'll want the patches and the resolution mod too by the by.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

You'll want the patches and the resolution mod too by the by.

They have been on my disks ever since they came out, through 5 computers and countless operating systems and reinstalls. Don't know anyone besides myself who ran Torment on Windows NT 4.0.

To get back on topic, the latest Nvidia video drivers on windows update are really nice. Gave me a 100+ point bump in performance on my 8800GT.

I'm really surprised at all the stuff that Windows Update has drivers for. I've gotten drivers for older dell latitudes, a dell precision M70, a newish HP tablet, my Studio XPS 13, and some stuff in my home-built desktop.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Casull posted:

Ah, I figured out why my networking card was so bad. It turns out that Windows 7 and Linksys WMP54G don't mix well. The solution is to download the Ralink RT266x driver and use that driver instead. So far, it's actually stable.

That driver is buggy as hell too. I have the v4.1 card and the Ralink driver would hard-lock the whole OS randomly with no error messages in the event viewer or crash dumps. *Every* time I ran the Speakeasy Speed Test it would lock the whole OS when it got to the upload part of the test. Through trial and error, I discovered the Linksys netr6164.sys v2.00.03.0 driver was the only one with a modicum of stability. If I install the driver Windows Update is pushing or the newest version from Ralink the hard-locks return. Obviously YMMV.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

killerrabbit posted:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, an nForce 4 AMD board. 7100 installed without a hitch, the drivers are indeed included in the install. Also, as soon as I connected to Windows Update, it downloaded a bunch of drivers for other parts of the board-the RAID chipset, the onboard sound, both NICs, it was great and had no problems at all.

In the end I had no issues with the motherboard drivers, everything worked right away including sound and networking. I could go online without even typing in any details, even after a clean install but I guess I have my new router to thank for that.

The problem ended up being the graphics drivers, Aero I guess, because after the first boot up I got welcomed by a black screen. Installed latest drivers through safe mode and that fixed it. It looked a bit scary at first, especially since there's no other way out of it than resetting your PC and there are no error messages.

Now to figure out why X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't starting although others report it should be working fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Strabo4 posted:

I have 8GB of ram (it was some good ram on a really loving good sale) and I don't think I've ever gone over half. It tends to stay around 37% usage, even with 64+ processes running at once.
8GB here as well, with my normal app load I'm at around 32% physical usage. But its nice to have the extra headroom. :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ilkhan posted:

8GB here as well, with my normal app load I'm at around 32% physical usage. But its nice to have the extra headroom. :)
I'm the same way. It's nice knowing you'll never run out of RAM and no matter what you do you'll always have responsive and snappy applications.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, I only have three gigs of RAM on my laptop and I rarely break 50% on 32-bit. Come on 7, fill that poo poo. I shouldn't even have to WAIT to open stuff with that much free RAM, get to work SuperFetch.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Echophonic posted:

Hell, I only have three gigs of RAM on my laptop and I rarely break 50% on 32-bit. Come on 7, fill that poo poo. I shouldn't even have to WAIT to open stuff with that much free RAM, get to work SuperFetch.
Check the resource monitor. It might actually be using more than that. My physical memory is at 20% use right now, but the resource monitor shows that it's using about 70% of my RAM to cache things it knows I might load.

I love this new memory management in Vista/7.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

-Dethstryk- posted:

Check the resource monitor. It might actually be using more than that. My physical memory is at 20% use right now, but the resource monitor shows that it's using about 70% of my RAM to cache things it knows I might load.

I love this new memory management in Vista/7.

I had no idea this program existed, I'm sitting at about 70%. Awesome, thanks for pointing this out.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I like how they fixed the bug where if you login to the machine via RDP, it no longer breaks the settings for your slideshow background when you disconnect.

Has anyone ever had any luck with the unified audio driver that comes with win7? On my laptop, I couldn't get any sound at all, and the Line In on my HTPC was terrible (stereo only, terrible feedback). I just ended up installing the vista x86 sound drivers for both machines.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

JoeCitizen posted:

That driver is buggy as hell too. I have the v4.1 card and the Ralink driver would hard-lock the whole OS randomly with no error messages in the event viewer or crash dumps. *Every* time I ran the Speakeasy Speed Test it would lock the whole OS when it got to the upload part of the test. Through trial and error, I discovered the Linksys netr6164.sys v2.00.03.0 driver was the only one with a modicum of stability. If I install the driver Windows Update is pushing or the newest version from Ralink the hard-locks return. Obviously YMMV.

I just ran the speed test with no problems. Then again, I think my card is 2.2/2.3.

YMMV, indeed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Microsoft should do something like what Blizzard does.

Every WoW patch is on a Torrent tracker as well as HTTP. The Blizzard patcher that loads up is just a simplified BitTorrent client.

Microsoft should do the same thing. Offer an EXE download link to grab their customized torrent client (for those who just want to download the ISO and don't want to mess with anything else), AND offer a link to the .torrent file, for those who just want to use their already-installed Torrent client.

That's all well and good, but there's tons of places that need Microsoft patches and can't handle anything bessedes ports 80 and 443 being open.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
Is there any way to play with the XP Mode VM yet?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

glitch77 posted:

Is there any way to play with the XP Mode VM yet?

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I think this is where you download it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

That's all well and good, but there's tons of places that need Microsoft patches and can't handle anything bessedes ports 80 and 443 being open.

These are the people who should be using the direct downloads, then. A torrent solution would significantly lower the stress on Microsoft's direct downloads, which would allow those who actually do need a direct download to not have to deal with crap-tacular speeds. The torrent solution wouldn't replace the direct downloads, merely complement them.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

univbee posted:

These are the people who should be using the direct downloads, then. A torrent solution would significantly lower the stress on Microsoft's direct downloads, which would allow those who actually do need a direct download to not have to deal with crap-tacular speeds. The torrent solution wouldn't replace the direct downloads, merely complement them.

The torrent solution for WoW is absolute poo poo. Even with a great line, it's hard to get good download because it goes full tilt with upload - I've ended up uploading so fast that I kill my downstream to nothing and it takes an hour for some of their insane patches.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Casao posted:

The torrent solution for WoW is absolute poo poo. Even with a great line, it's hard to get good download because it goes full tilt with upload - I've ended up uploading so fast that I kill my downstream to nothing and it takes an hour for some of their insane patches.

That's not the fault of the concept though but rather of the implementation. It would not be too tough to include throttling features for upload/download like every other bittorrent client on the planet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I dunno, I've never had a problem maxing my connection (whether when i had 8 megabit comcast or my current 1.5-3 megabit verion dsl) when downloading from Microsoft. When I'm off at my grandma's house with her 50 megabit FIOS it doesn't max it but I don't think that's a typical connection anyway.

I really think that putting in a torrent option would do nothing more than confuse a ton of people and add a ton more tech support requests for Microsoft and other people from users who see the torrent option and think their computer is broken.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

oblomov posted:

That's not the fault of the concept though but rather of the implementation. It would not be too tough to include throttling features for upload/download like every other bittorrent client on the planet.

But really, why?

Opera comes with a built in torrent client, while Firefox has addons to add one. There are numerous torrenting webapps that will download from them. Anyone who knows enough to be manually downloading this before it hits Windows update will know what a torrent is and how to use the client, why bother making a new wrapper?

There's also the fact that, without ports open or openable, torrents tend to suck rear end speedwise.

An official .torrent file would work fine and not introduce the headache of extra .exe download links.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Installed the RC on my new XPS M1330 and I have to say, the installation was one of the best OS install experiences in a long time, overall I have to say I'm really happy with this whole OS. Everything about it seems well put together actually.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Played GTA4 on Win 7 x64 last night, seems to run a little better under Win 7 compared to Vista. Very pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there a partition resizer built in or do I need to find software?