Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«534 »
angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Bitlocker question:
If I have a computer without a TPM, is there a way to set up Bitlocker without having to save the encryption key to a thumb drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooKMaN
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

Does anyone know if it's possible to select which HDDs i want turning off after being idle for some time? Currently i have it set to 30min but i'd like to have 1 HDD running constantly and never turn off even if idle.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

LooKMaN posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to select which HDDs i want turning off after being idle for some time? Currently i have it set to 30min but i'd like to have 1 HDD running constantly and never turn off even if idle.

Why do you want your hard drive running constantly? Not having the drive go idle sounds like a good way to reduce its life.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Super Dude posted:

Why do you want your hard drive running constantly? Not having the drive go idle sounds like a good way to reduce its life.

Drive life is probably not the concern here - it's probably a second drive to an SSD, and it's accessed for software now and then. I can see how it would be annoying if it was spinning down all the time, yet you might want all the media drives to spin down.

I'd be kind of interested in this too.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Would a small script that did periodic read/write operations on the hard drive stop it from going idle?

It's a pretty ugly solution though.
VVVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2012 around 09:47

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

^^ Agreed, it is, but a miniscule write to HDD now and then is probably not going to cause any kind of performance loss or issue. Obviously timeout per drive settings would be nicer.

Super Dude posted:

Would a small script that did periodic read/write operations on the hard drive stop it from going idle?

Ugh, of course. Such a simple solution.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2012 around 10:58

LooKMaN
Mar 22, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Drive life is probably not the concern here - it's probably a second drive to an SSD, and it's accessed for software now and then. I can see how it would be annoying if it was spinning down all the time, yet you might want all the media drives to spin down.

I'd be kind of interested in this too.

Yeah i have a SSD and 6 HDDs, if they're all running i can hear the case resonating/humming and it's annoying as hell. One of the drives i want running all the time but others are just mostly media drives that really don't need to be running 24/7.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Some piece of poo poo broke into my home and stole a bunch of stuff, including my desktop computer. He however forgot to take my DVD of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with him

Since I no longer have the tower, I cannot "deactivate" that computer from having Windows 7. Is there any way I can now legally install it on another computer with the same key, without Microsoft giving me trouble?

LooKMaN posted:

Are they Western Digital drives by any chance? There's a tool called WD3IDLE you can run (in DOS!) that will permanently tell them to never spin down. Western Digital released it because the head park count on the green drives were completely insane and people were worried about early failure with them.

Uncle at Nintendo fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2012 around 15:06

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hamburglar posted:

Some piece of poo poo broke into my home and stole a bunch of stuff, including my desktop computer. He however forgot to take my DVD of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with him

Since I no longer have the tower, I cannot "deactivate" that computer from having Windows 7. Is there any way I can now legally install it on another computer with the same key, without Microsoft giving me trouble?

Are they Western Digital drives by any chance? There's a tool called WD3IDLE you can run (in DOS!) that will permanently tell them to never spin down. Western Digital released it because the head park count on the green drives were completely insane and people were worried about early failure with them.

If it's a retail copy, you should have zero issues with activation.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

If it's a retail copy, you should have zero issues with activation.

It's a legit disc mailed to me from Microsoft, after I paid for it online. They didn't mail me the activation code, though. It was sent to me via e-mail. Would this be considered retail?

LooKMaN
Mar 22, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

So if i use wd3idle it won't spin down/shutdown even if drives are set to spin down after 30min?

Also the drive is WD Caviar Blue, but wd3idle only shows up on WD RE2-GP firmware page with warning "This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0." Should i try to use it anyway?

LooKMaN fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2012 around 17:08

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Hamburglar posted:

It's a legit disc mailed to me from Microsoft, after I paid for it online. They didn't mail me the activation code, though. It was sent to me via e-mail. Would this be considered retail?

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

LooKMaN posted:

So if i use wd3idle it won't spin down/shutdown even if drives are set to spin down after 30min?

Also the drive is WD Caviar Blue, but wd3idle only shows up on WD RE2-GP firmware page with warning "This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0." Should i try to use it anyway?

Yeah I believe it "hard sets" the drive to never spin down, no matter what your operating system tells it. I don't think it actually upgrades the firmware but it definitely changes a bit of data in the firmware.

I used wd3idle on drives that are not mentioned in that list, but they were all Green. I don't want to recommend anything wrong to you, though. Again, the reason they made that tool for the Green drives was because the heads were parking a ridiculous number of times a day, scaring people into an early grave for their drives. I don't want to tell you to use or not use it, so maybe wait until someone else here can verify that it's safe for a Blue.

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Cool, thanks.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

I'm not sure where else to post this question, but I figured that this thread would be the best place. I need to have Visual Studio 2010 for a class I'm taking (Visual C++ in particular), so I got a DreamSpark account and downloaded a 2-gigabyte burnable image file. So it wants me to burn a disc so I can install something I already downloaded to my computer. Is there any free, non-malware-infested thing I can use to just mount this thing temporarily so I don't have to go buy a stack of DVD-R's just to install my software? Google is never helpful with these things.

vvvv Worked perfectly, thank you.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2012 around 21:12

Factor Mystic
Mar 19, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Virtual CloneDrive

Tactical Grace
Apr 30, 2008

Is there some way of syncing my Google calender to my Windows 7 desktop calender? If not is there something which syncs with Google calender which replaces the Windows calender? Thank you.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

Nothin' but lint.

This link from the OP is good and dead:

Useful Windows Software - plushpuffin's list of Windows Freeware and other useful software

Anyone know of a similar list of nice software and aps for windows 7?

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Is there any tool that I can run on a Windows 7 machine that will simply fully update it, quietly, until it is happy and fully upto date?. From a standard build of even 7 with SP1 the update needs to be run over 9-10 times recursively until you get all the updates. WSUS is no good for us we are an MSP building laptops for clients.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Is there a free program to view or convert .CGM files? The closest I came so far was InfranView which required I downloaded a plugin, but the plugin displays a huge "BUY ME" watermark. I've been searching for quite a while, and even tried for a few hours attempting to get Word (from Office 2007) to accept the files to no avail. Thanks!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Is there any tool that I can run on a Windows 7 machine that will simply fully update it, quietly, until it is happy and fully upto date?. From a standard build of even 7 with SP1 the update needs to be run over 9-10 times recursively until you get all the updates. WSUS is no good for us we are an MSP building laptops for clients.

Oh please let there be such a thing. Something that auto reboots the computer and starts up Windows update again! I would absolutely love to install windows/office and then set a program to update everything overnight so when I wake up I have a fully updated machine.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance

The Dregs posted:

This is has a developer bent on Windows apps but Scott Hanselman has a pretty good list that is updated yearly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hamburglar posted:

Is there a free program to view or convert .CGM files? The closest I came so far was InfranView which required I downloaded a plugin, but the plugin displays a huge "BUY ME" watermark. I've been searching for quite a while, and even tried for a few hours attempting to get Word (from Office 2007) to accept the files to no avail. Thanks!
A quick Google brought me to this list. Vizex reader seems to be a free option, but they require a lot of personal information before they allow you to download it, so I didn't try. Wouldn't have CGM-files to try it on anyway. I guess it's worth a shot with some bogus information and a thrwoaway e-mail address.

The Dregs posted:

Freewaregenius is a fairly good site, because unlike some other reviewer's sites, stuff has really been tested and the guy isn't so lame as to leave out the negatives. Beware of really old reviews, though, they may not apply anymore.

I used to recommend a look at the "Post your favorite obscure applications"-thread, but it hasn't been updated since september or so and seems to have slipped into archives, I think

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2012 around 14:49

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Dregs posted:

This link from the OP is good and dead:

Useful Windows Software - plushpuffin's list of Windows Freeware and other useful software

NeoWin's freeware alternative list is all I've needed for the past year or so.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

A quick Google brought me to this list. Vizex reader seems to be a free option, but they require a lot of personal information before they allow you to download it, so I didn't try. Wouldn't have CGM-files to try it on anyway. I guess it's worth a shot with some bogus information and a thrwoaway e-mail address.

Thanks, I wasn't being lazy with the Googling, as you could see I tried a ton of different things (even editing registry files to get Word to read them). It's just that there doesn't see to be a free viewer for the files, because everything seems to want to edit and alter CGM files, while all I want to do is view them

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Trinitrotoluene posted:

This will do it, and has auto-recall, but if you need custom scripts, good luck navigating the very Teutonic forums.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks, I wasn't being lazy with the Googling, as you could see I tried a ton of different things (even editing registry files to get Word to read them). It's just that there doesn't see to be a free viewer for the files, because everything seems to want to edit and alter CGM files, while all I want to do is view them
Didn't mean to put you on the spot or anything (I wouldn't care either way), just indicating that this advice wasn't from personal experience. I hadn't heard of CGM-files before today.

I'm eager to help and I've got way too much time on my hands, but I've gotten into trouble before by recommending things I didn't know much about and got called out on it . So I just try to add some context, so people know I'm not pretending to be an expert in everything and know when to overrule my advice based on their own experience.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Can you recommend a software for editing movies for Windows 7 64-bit? I used to like the XP's bundled Windows Movie Maker, but the Windows Live Movie Maker that comes with W7 is a piece of crap in comparison when it comes to functionality.

The thing is though, I don't want to be paying zillion bucks for some Adobe product, just something more like XP's WMM with some more features. Is eg. Corel VideoStudio a good choice or do you have better suggestions?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Nenonen posted:

Can you recommend a software for editing movies for Windows 7 64-bit? I used to like the XP's bundled Windows Movie Maker, but the Windows Live Movie Maker that comes with W7 is a piece of crap in comparison when it comes to functionality.

The thing is though, I don't want to be paying zillion bucks for some Adobe product, just something more like XP's WMM with some more features. Is eg. Corel VideoStudio a good choice or do you have better suggestions?

Sony Vegas is amazing. However, I've only ever used the pro version which is like $600. They have reduced versions: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware which might be better than the Corel software. Also, VirtualDub is free, but it isn't the most intuitive and I'm not sure what type of filters it comes with. I don't use it often but it is Goon recommended a lot.

Edit: Vegas has free trials.

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Vegas is really awesome. I learned it by myself without reading a single thing; just dropping in a video file and figuring it out from there. I've done music videos with it, DVD menus, commercials, audio commentary, all that good stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte - just delivered the BUMB, the Hiroshima bumb. Eleven hundred men went into the water.

Trinitrotoluene posted:

WSUS Offline Update can do it, but I usually just run AutoPatcher to download the updates and 7Customizer to integrate them into the install media before installation.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

knickerbocker expert

For anyone here that RDPs into a bunch of different servers, I'd highly recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection Manager. Besides the tedium of the inital setup (which can be avoided if someone else is already using this program), I've found it to be amazing. No more consulting a list of server names/IPs!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mRemoteNG is what I use. You can even save putty sessions in it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The streets sketched out in the full moon light,
MIT punks dying left and right.
There's nowhere to run don't even try,
cause all my shootings be drivebys.

Hi gents and ladies,

I have a quick question concerning IRC Clients.

Recently I moved off of Mibbit to Xchat because I really needed a persistent block/ignore function. I like Xchat quite a bit. It's fairly easy to set up, has spellcheck plugins, and has a low footprint.

However today it threw a red flag that said "your 30 day trial is up you horrible monster, give us money!" As you can imagine, I was surprised by this, but then again I also tend to not see things right in front of me. It's a bad trait, but I've been working on it. I digress.

Pretty much my question is are there any good quality, freeware IRC clients which are easy to set up (because I'm a stupid consumer and scripting confuses me), have a spellchecker or spellchecker plugin, and have a persistent ban/ignore list. Should I just reinstall Xchat every month or are there any decent alternatives?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Before anyone suggests Chatzilla, I've used it before and would prefer to not have an IRC client tied to Firefox. As many people know FF has memory leaks out the butt and Chatzilla is no exception.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2012 around 19:23

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

IT Guy posted:

Sony Vegas is amazing. However, I've only ever used the pro version which is like $600. They have reduced versions: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware which might be better than the Corel software. Also, VirtualDub is free, but it isn't the most intuitive and I'm not sure what type of filters it comes with. I don't use it often but it is Goon recommended a lot.

Edit: Vegas has free trials.

Hamburglar posted:

Vegas is really awesome. I learned it by myself without reading a single thing; just dropping in a video file and figuring it out from there. I've done music videos with it, DVD menus, commercials, audio commentary, all that good stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'll check Vegas trial out, as well as VirtualDub.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

There's a thing called Lightworks that's in open beta and is eventually going to be open source, it's been used to make some commercial films so it's more of a professional-level solution, but if you're daring enough it's free at least

LooKMaN
Mar 22, 2008

Slopehead posted:

Hi gents and ladies,

I have a quick question concerning IRC Clients.

Recently I moved off of Mibbit to Xchat because I really needed a persistent block/ignore function. I like Xchat quite a bit. It's fairly easy to set up, has spellcheck plugins, and has a low footprint.

However today it threw a red flag that said "your 30 day trial is up you horrible monster, give us money!" As you can imagine, I was surprised by this, but then again I also tend to not see things right in front of me. It's a bad trait, but I've been working on it. I digress.

Pretty much my question is are there any good quality, freeware IRC clients which are easy to set up (because I'm a stupid consumer and scripting confuses me), have a spellchecker or spellchecker plugin, and have a persistent ban/ignore list. Should I just reinstall Xchat every month or are there any decent alternatives?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Before anyone suggests Chatzilla, I've used it before and would prefer to not have an IRC client tied to Firefox. As many people know FF has memory leaks out the butt and Chatzilla is no exception.

X-Chat WDK is like X-Chat except free and better as far as i know.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The streets sketched out in the full moon light,
MIT punks dying left and right.
There's nowhere to run don't even try,
cause all my shootings be drivebys.

Thank you sir, you're an absolute lifesaver!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

At work (nationwide) we have a bunch of machines with the same build on them. We have a ton of tools on them that get regular updates, and often rebuild them back to the base image.
Is there a simple Windows tool that will create a diff on a new and old image file (probably a dd) so I can just send people out a patch file every now and again instead of a whole new 50GB file?

Preferably it would produce something rolled up into an exe that just says "point me to the destination image file and hit go to patch". The users know how to use computers, so it doesn't have to be too dumbed-down. However, if there are too many steps they will probably just not bother.

I've seen plenty of diff and patch tools for Windows via Google, but if someone knows something suitable it would save me some testing. Bear in mind we're talking about patching a massive file here.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

baka kaba posted:

There's a thing called Lightworks that's in open beta and is eventually going to be open source, it's been used to make some commercial films so it's more of a professional-level solution, but if you're daring enough it's free at least

Having dabbled with it for about a week now I can safely say that you really need to invest some time into learning how to use the thing. Its not the most user friendly editor but for free it gets the job done.

Just tried out the demo for Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. For 50 dollars I don't think you can beat this.

iSheep fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2012 around 02:28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

It's been about 4 years since I've had an instant messenger installed on my computer. I'd like to pick up something lightweight that supports all the IM networks.

Is Trillian still the go-to messenger?

«534 »