Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Is there any quick and easy way to convert Windows 10 or 8.1 media to an all-in-one install disk, ala Windows 7's ei.cfg file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any way to remove the annoying Skype "home page" on Skype for Desktop? It always looks weird to me to have some quirky young female actress adjusting a webcame half-looking at me.

Try adding https://apps.skype.com/ to the restricted zone in Internet Options.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

c0burn posted:

Try adding https://apps.skype.com/ to the restricted zone in Internet Options.

That worked! Thank you!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ynglaur posted:

That worked! Thank you!
You can get rid of the whole thing by unchecking View -> Single Window View and then closing the "homepage" part.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I built a new rig since it was time and used the product key from my old build for my Windows install and the "Reserve Windows 10" icon isn't popping up. I know Windows ties itself to the mobo now so I'm assuming Windows might be having a tiff with authenticating the product but it hasn't given me any bullshit about the key being in use or not Genuine or whatever the message would be. Any suggestions?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I built a new rig since it was time and used the product key from my old build for my Windows install and the "Reserve Windows 10" icon isn't popping up. I know Windows ties itself to the mobo now so I'm assuming Windows might be having a tiff with authenticating the product but it hasn't given me any bullshit about the key being in use or not Genuine or whatever the message would be. Any suggestions?

Did you do all the updates? If you look in the list of updates number 3035583 is the one that shoes the Win10 advert.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Sire Oblivion posted:

2 things since I just did this:

1. Make sure you've actually installed all updates. The check for updates button didn't actually work to that effect for me, I had to install SP1 manually.

2. If your key is more than 5 years old, it may not count as a valid copy. I had to call MS support to get them to activate mine, even though it was a valid key. After that, the icon showed up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I have all of the updates available thus far, even the optional ones and nothing. I bought my copy of Windows around 2+ years ago, but definitely not 5. I guess the easiest way would be to just call them, so I'll do that tomorrow.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am looking for a way to use my Mi Band to unlock Windows via Bluetooth, similar to how you can use a trusted BT device to unlock your smartphone.

Is there an app that can accomplish this?
Pair the Mi Band with Windows; if it's in bluetooth range, keep Windows unlocked/unlock it if it has been locked, if you move away from the device and the bluetooth connection is lost, lock it.

Sounds fairly simple, yet I can't find anything.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Win 10 is rolling out and no one is posting

:colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Goober Peas posted:

Neither my tablet or work computer have the update available yet, I guess it's rolling out in chunks or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Goober Peas posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700588

Read
Dec 21, 2010

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My first metro app

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I have Windows 8.1 32 bit, and was planning on upgrading it to 64 bit.

I just reserved Windows 10. Will I be able to upgrade directly to Windows 10 64 bit, or will I have to install 8.1 64 bit first? If the latter, will I lose my reserved upgrade?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Goober Peas posted:

I tried to force the update to occur on my girlfriend's Sony Vaio S13 Premium with Windows 8.1, but it failed a few times, and I couldn't be bothered to try again, and I haven't downloaded a standalone copy of it, because I'm not that interested in 10 just yet. Maybe later.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 29, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A goon should probably just start a torrent with Windows 10 Pro x64.iso

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do I need this Starlight update to get Window 10? For some reason this update in the important section for Window 8.1 just fails every time I try to download it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Koskinator posted:

I have Windows 8.1 32 bit, and was planning on upgrading it to 64 bit.

I just reserved Windows 10. Will I be able to upgrade directly to Windows 10 64 bit, or will I have to install 8.1 64 bit first? If the latter, will I lose my reserved upgrade?

Why did you have Windows 8.1 32 bit in the first place, and what changed that you're now OK with a 64 bit OS?

Anyway you can't lose your reserved upgrade, the worst case scenario is it takes a bit longer for it show up. The most reliable way will be to install 8.1 64 bit first.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My laptop is having an occasional screen flicker problem after upgrading to 10. It's not something that happens all the time, but every now and then my screen flickers a bunch until I blindly click out of whatever window I have open. Like I said though, it's not a constant thing.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why did you have Windows 8.1 32 bit in the first place, and what changed that you're now OK with a 64 bit OS?

Anyway you can't lose your reserved upgrade, the worst case scenario is it takes a bit longer for it show up. The most reliable way will be to install 8.1 64 bit first.

Basically I'm an idiot and thought that 32bit would be better if I didn't 'need' 64bit for anything. Now, there are several games released or coming out that I want to play which require 64 bit so I'm going to have to upgrade.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreenNight posted:

A goon should probably just start a torrent with Windows 10 Pro x64.iso

You can made an .iso or bootable USB for 10 here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, I did that. I meant if there was still bandwidth issues trying to download it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I did that. I meant if there was still bandwidth issues trying to download it.

I started downloading it about 20 minutes ago and it's 96% done, for the 64 bit version.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

I'm grabbing it from MSDN @ 100MBit, their servers seem fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

win 10 is a no brainer for tablets and ultrabooks. I'd say it was a no brainer for desktops too if grognards didn't care so much about their video card drivers although i personally haven't had issues on my gaming desktop since I updated when the xbone streaming came out at e3

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

ethanol posted:

win 10 is a no brainer for tablets and ultrabooks. I'd say it was a no brainer for desktops too if grognards didn't care so much about their video card drivers although i personally haven't had issues on my gaming desktop since I updated when the xbone streaming came out at e3

The Synaptics issues are a much bigger deal than graphics card issues, there's no way I would install it on anything with a trackpad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How is it even possible that these popular drivers aren't ready yet? Get your poo poo together PC industry.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Papercut posted:

The Synaptics issues are a much bigger deal than graphics card issues, there's no way I would install it on anything with a trackpad.

Works fine on my Lenovo with a Synaptics trackpad.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Make sure windows is updated as much as possible.

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/win10fix10

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ethanol posted:

The problem is it's trying to install drivers they have or don't need and its loving up and they can't turn it off. That's a problem.

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
What would be better, upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, or doing a clean install of 10?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Caydence posted:

What would be better, upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, or doing a clean install of 10?

Can you even do a clean install with the free upgrade?

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
Sorry, I downloaded the .iso for Windows 10 from MSDN, but pondering whether I want to do a clean install or just upgrade.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

So they pushed Windows 10 to Dreamspark and I got 9 separate keys out of it :shrug:

Upgrading from 8.1 with a Dreamspark key didn't activate. No biggy because I have 9 goddamn keys. My dad just upgraded his 7 and that didn't activate, not sure where the key for that one came from but it wasn't Dreamspark. Oh well, just means I'm down to 7 keys left.

Bit annoyed that my 'free upgrades' have not actually been free, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I did both processes today on different computers and the reserve your copy version didn't give an option for a clean install. Seems you can only use the .iso app for that. Note you don't need to actually create an iso to install

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

How do I make a USB out of the iso? Mount it and copy everything onto a fresh thumb drive? My only available computer is a Mac, if that makes any difference. My Windows 8 PC decided to corrupt the boot drive last week so I figured I'd wait to reinstall.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I reserved my copy of Windows 10 a month ago and the icon is still in my tray, informing me that Microsoft will let me know when the OS upgrade is ready for my system. Is this an error or is Microsoft implementing a staggered release schedule? Not sure if I should be getting the notification to upgrade yet.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I reserved my copy of Windows 10 a month ago and the icon is still in my tray, informing me that Microsoft will let me know when the OS upgrade is ready for my system. Is this an error or is Microsoft implementing a staggered release schedule? Not sure if I should be getting the notification to upgrade yet.

Running the thing from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install should work fine if you don't want to wait. Choose "upgrade this PC" and "keep everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Running the thing from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install should work fine if you don't want to wait. Choose "upgrade this PC" and "keep everything".

It gave me the option to upgrade my PC directly as well as an option to create an installation USB/Disc, so this should work, thank you!

EDIT: It did work, and I got things up and running in less than an hour.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 30, 2015