Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is the windows 10 update pretty seamless?

E: do/should I need to do a clean install?

You can do a clean install but you must upgrade first or you won't get a genuine activation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

cat doter posted:

The last time I read anything about edge it was supposedly closer to a tablet browser than a full fledged desktop browser, but it was still being updated. Is that still the case?

This could explain why it's so terrible right now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know if there's a functioning custom tile maker like Oblytile but for Windows 10?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

ufarn posted:

Edge could be a pretty great performance boost over Chrome the same way Safari is, so that's worth following.

So you're saying it throws more errors than any other browser, has limited to no extensible support, is slower than most other browsers and will never be meaningfully updated to modern web standards? Ouch.

I hope you are being facetious, because Safari is dirt last in browsers by all metrics.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

So you're saying it throws more errors than any other browser, has limited to no extensible support, is slower than most other browsers and will never be meaningfully updated to modern web standards? Ouch.

I hope you are being facetious, because Safari is dirt last in browsers by all metrics.
If you thought I was talking about Safari for Windows, you're just being obtuse.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The capability for extensions are supposed to be coming later. It's much better at scrolling than Chrome is, at least on my surface and maybe slightly better at memory usage. Dunno about web standards overall but looking at the most recent thing I've built, it at least supports getUserMedia() which neither IE nor Safari do.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

ufarn posted:

If you thought I was talking about Safari for Windows, you're just being obtuse.

You are in the Windows thread. His confusion is understandable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Avulsion posted:

You are in the Windows thread. His confusion is understandable.
As a Windows user, he really should know better about Safari for Windows.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone laptop users wanna report on battery life, going from 8.1 to 10?

I'm seeing a mixed bag on reviews relating to battery life, some say its better, some say it's hugely worse.

Paranoid in taking the plunge since I rely on my XPS 13's ten hours for overseas flights a lot...

smoobles fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 2, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

ufarn posted:

As a windows user, I've never used Safari for windows and know nothing about it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Right clicking on This PC and Manage no longer opens the Management tool for me (Windows 8.1 Pro).
Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: I can still launch it by searching for "computermanagement".

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 3, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does mmc.exe still exist in your system32 folder?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

ufarn posted:

Oh, I know Safari is king for tablet-only mouth breathers who don't know how to install Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Opera? It's not dead yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It kind of is, a few years ago they abandoned their engine and switched to a derivative of Chromium :rip:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Shy posted:

Opera has always been dead.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Shy posted:

In the moribund world of Mac compatible browsers, Opera is still technologically ahead of Safari (although I hear Apple is working on content blocking for WebKit, so maybe they are going to get back in the game).

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's been years since I've done it, and I don't know how it's changed in 8 or 10, but in Windows 7 there is a Fax And Scan function built in to Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/receive-a-fax-with-windows-fax-and-scan

Also your PCI modem probably won't work in a modern computer since they tend to use PCI Express these days, but a USB modem that also supports faxing can be had for like $25 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PEQEC950CRDJGDT

Hey I just wanted to follow up and say I bought that exact one you linked, and everything works! I can send faxes from my PC perfectly. Windows 7's built in Fax software worked swimmingly (it's really cool. It kinda looks like Outlook so all your faxes get saved in a "sent" folder which I am sure will be useful for me in the future".

I just wanted to thank you again because I Googled for quite a while and was repeatedly told it's impossible (without uploading it to some website you have to pay) by numerous websites including tech forums.

It's still really funny my PC needs to have a 56k modem in the year 2015 because of some strange reason that faxes can't be just sent over e-mail to the phone number or whatever, but your post helped immensely and I don't need to tie myself to printer/scanner/faxes for the rest of my life. Thanks again!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No problem! But again, if you upgrade to a newer version of Windows you might have to get or buy a program that handles the faxes for you. Just something to look out for.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Whizbang posted:

Opera has always been dead.

What is dead may never die.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nintendo Kid posted:

No problem! But again, if you upgrade to a newer version of Windows you might have to get or buy a program that handles the faxes for you. Just something to look out for.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and I was about to post earlier, figuring something as obsolete as fax with a dial-up modem would be missing from newer versions of Windows, but...

Nope, Windows Fax and Scan is still there in 8 and 10, according to Wikipedia. So I didn't post.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenNight posted:

Then you'll be paying money for Acrobat Pro.

We use Bluebeam Revu instead of Acrobat. Still not free, but it works well.

http://www.bluebeam.com/us/products/

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to use the Parallels or VMWare on windows instead of VirtualBox? It's hard to beat $free but I am wondering if there is some feature set that justifies the price.

Also, any way to create/run HyperV clients in Windows 10? If there is, is there any reason not to use that instead of dedicated 3rd party VM software?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 3, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chuu posted:

Is there any reason to use the Parallels or VMWare on windows instead of VirtualBox? It's hard to beat $free but I am wondering if there is some feature set that justifies the price.

Also, any way to create/run HyperV clients in Windows 10? If there is, is there any reason not to use that instead of dedicated 3rd party VM software?

Parallels does not exist for Windows hosts. It's ... not QUITE like asking about doing Hyper-V hosts in OS X, since Apple doesn't make Parallels, but you get the idea.

VMware's guest graphics are... not great, but they're better than VirtualBox using nine-year old "didn't even try" garbage, using shims or something to trick hardware-accelerated UIs into thinking they're hardware accelerated, and then claiming when stuff like Chrome or AutoCAD fails that the problem is impossible or the software is misconfigured (read: blame the user) or that there's something coded wrong with every other piece of software out there because their solution is perfect in every way.

You can't get better than software graphics on Hyper-V guests without Windows Enterprise. Still, if you want it just go in to Programs and Features and turn on Hyper-V. It'll block VMware and VirtualBox from working at all, though, since your actual environment is now technically a virtual guest. (Graphics still works in it, though. The limit on other guests is probably something something Remote Desktop Microsoft Bein' Microsoft.)

This might still be enough depending on your needs, but this is a short guide to how much any of these options gives about being relevant, given the impending rise of GPGPU.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 3, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Has anyone tested this?

http://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

It's a guy supposedly talking to MS tech support and support saying that any hardware changes will invalidate the Windows 10 license and require you to purchase a new license. It's an imgur chat log, so I'm inclined to go "lol yeah right", especially since this has been a scare in past Windows versions and that has never come to practical fruition, but I thought I'd check nonetheless.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Who knows, someone pull out a stick of ram and see what happens. There's a high chance that the low level tech chat person doesn't really know what they're talking about and the section of their script about "hardware" is just for people asking about getting a new laptop or something.

Talking to chat support is like going into a room of first graders and asking about current events. I mean, maybe someone will eventually say something not wrong, but basically there's no information gained there.

E: Also we really do not need this many threads to discuss Windows. Maybe time to close this one?

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 3, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Factor Mystic posted:

Also we really do not need this many threads to discuss Windows. Maybe time to close this one?

There is, at least in practice, no such thing as thread scarcity, and this is effectively the Windows 7 thread at this point. There are issues unique to 8.1 and 10 that would simply serve to confuse everything or drown out the 7 stuff.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Yeah but in practice people end up asking the same questions in both threads. It was the same with the Windows 8 thread too.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

space marine todd posted:

I'm on my admin account on Windows 10 x64 and it keeps telling me: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." when I try to pin a file to quick access.

Any idea what I can do? This isn't a clean install.

For anyone having trouble with pinning folders to Quick Access, option 3 worked for me:

quote:

2. In the command prompt, "Copy and Paste" (or type) the command below and press enter. (see screenshot below):
del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\*

3. In the command prompt, "Copy and Paste" (or type) the command below and press enter. (see screenshot below):
del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\*

I didn't even have to restart or log off and it actually restored my previous pinned items from my Windows 8.1 install.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Performed a Windows 10 clean install a couple days ago as part of a new build, and I'm having trouble getting anything to use DTS or Dolby Digital. I've got an ASRock H97m Pro4, and am connected via optical cable to a set of Logitech Z-5500s.

I can get windows to test the setup properly (shown below), the tests are working fine but I can't get any other applications to push DTS or DD signal (I think). Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ryan_woody posted:

Performed a Windows 10 clean install a couple days ago as part of a new build, and I'm having trouble getting anything to use DTS or Dolby Digital. I've got an ASRock H97m Pro4, and am connected via optical cable to a set of Logitech Z-5500s.

I can get windows to test the setup properly (shown below), the tests are working fine but I can't get any other applications to push DTS or DD signal (I think). Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

Well do you have a DDL soundcard or are you trying to use an already encoded signal (video)?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ryan_woody posted:

That's more of how you configure your video player's audio path, which could be a fun topic.

If you're trying to get everything to be encoded as DTS Coherent Acoustics stream before it reaches your speakers (as would be beneficial since you only have an optical cable connected) you need a sound card that supports DTS Connect.

Edit: The Realtek ALC892 you have on that board has a variant that does support this, just trying to find out if the one on your board is indeed the ALC892-DTS-CG. Are you saying it worked OK before? It could be that you need to find the right driver..

Double edit: The manual for the H97M Pro4 makes no mention of DTS, but the H97M-ITXac does, for example, so my guess is the audio chipset doesn't support encoding in real time.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 4, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

Has anyone tested this?

http://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

It's a guy supposedly talking to MS tech support and support saying that any hardware changes will invalidate the Windows 10 license and require you to purchase a new license. It's an imgur chat log, so I'm inclined to go "lol yeah right", especially since this has been a scare in past Windows versions and that has never come to practical fruition, but I thought I'd check nonetheless.

This is both completely true and 100% what Microsoft has said from day one. I have no idea how anybody could be confused by Microsoft's statements on how the upgrade worked.

They explicitly said the upgrade would be 'device specific' and that it would be 'supported for the lifetime of the device' and that is exactly what is being explained here. The 'device' in question is most likely the combination of motherboard and cpu. You can probably change your video card all you want, and hard drives as well. IN fact, the only peripheral I can think of that Windows might care about are networking devices (pcie network cards, etc) but even then there is probably a change threshold which needs to be passed before Windows stops being activated.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

This is both completely true and 100% what Microsoft has said from day one. I have no idea how anybody could be confused by Microsoft's statements on how the upgrade worked.

They explicitly said the upgrade would be 'device specific' and that it would be 'supported for the lifetime of the device' and that is exactly what is being explained here. The 'device' in question is most likely the combination of motherboard and cpu. You can probably change your video card all you want, and hard drives as well. IN fact, the only peripheral I can think of that Windows might care about are networking devices (pcie network cards, etc) but even then there is probably a change threshold which needs to be passed before Windows stops being activated.

How is that completely true when you're saying something completely different from what that says?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

kojicolnair posted:

How is that completely true when you're saying something completely different from what that says?

It matches up with the first part. Honestly it seems like that support dude was told "Yes, if they change hardware they have to get new windows" and doesn't know anything else. Support staff says incorrect stuff all the time for new products/features, it's the hazard of being low on the totem pole at a company and having to deal with impatient and angry customers directly. You don't get to go "Hold on let me check" on that new feature that hasn't been explained to you, you got the one-line email describing the feature, now hop to it!

Usually that moment just doesn't get screen-captured and put online, they just check back in with somebody else like an hour later and it turns out they were incorrect. I'm pretty sure people have talked about swapping RAM and stuff in here, haven't they?

surc fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 4, 2015

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

HalloKitty posted:

That's more of how you configure your video player's audio path, which could be a fun topic.

If you're trying to get everything to be encoded as DTS Coherent Acoustics stream before it reaches your speakers (as would be beneficial since you only have an optical cable connected) you need a sound card that supports DTS Connect.

Edit: The Realtek ALC892 you have on that board has a variant that does support this, just trying to find out if the one on your board is indeed the ALC892-DTS-CG. Are you saying it worked OK before? It could be that you need to find the right driver..

Double edit: The manual for the H97M Pro4 makes no mention of DTS, but the H97M-ITXac does, for example, so my guess is the audio chipset doesn't support encoding in real time.

I would love to have everything be encoded DTS, but for right now I'll settle for just anything using DD or DTS when the signal is available. No games or movies that I've tried are outputting a 5.1 signal (using VLC for DVD playback, and I did some googling to make sure the proper settings are in place to make 5.1 work).

If the chipset doesn't support 5.1 encoding, is there a cheap sound card or something that would? It's rather disappointing that I have all the requisite audio outputs on the mobo but it won't encode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EoRaptor posted:

The 'device' in question is most likely the combination of motherboard and cpu. You can probably change your video card all you want, and hard drives as well.
The tech explicitly confirms that changing the device hardware in any manner would invalidate the install in response to the guy asking if that extended to video card or ram sticks.

Like, that tech is almost 100% mistaken like all Microsoft techs, but at least read it before deciding it's not confusing for anyone.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Does upgrading to W10 (free) require 8.1 or can it be done straight from 8? I'm having the shittiest time downloading updates for 8 right now and so I don't want to even bother trying to go from 8 to 8.1

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Neowyrm posted:

Does upgrading to W10 (free) require 8.1 or can it be done straight from 8? I'm having the shittiest time downloading updates for 8 right now and so I don't want to even bother trying to go from 8 to 8.1

You need to be on 7 SP1 or 8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I wish they would finish validating my device or whatever so I can actually get the upgrade.