Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
The cost of viewing should be included the the DVD and averaged out so small that it wouldn't matter to the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goodness posted:

The cost of viewing should be included the the DVD and averaged out so small that it wouldn't matter to the consumer.

I don't see a good reason to make DVDs any more expensive instead of the current scenario where 99% of the time you already do have licensed equipment.

And please understand that it's not like cops are going to bust down your door because you used VLC - the only way to get in trouble would be like, using VLC to playback DVDs for some company's business. That's where you actually get charged punitive fees.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

goodness posted:

The cost is actually split. It costs $0.03 per movie, plus $2.50 per receiver.

That being said, violating patents isn't illegal, but you can get sued if the patent holders think that you're costing them money (you aren't, so they won't). What's illegal is violating the DMCA, which protects the DRM on DVDs. That said, it's still not illegal to distribute software that violates the DMCA; it's illegal to use it in ways that violates it. For instance, using VLC so that you can screen capture a copy of a DVD for documentary is acceptable, but using it to screen capture an entire copy for backup is not. Here's the list of acceptable uses for 2015-2017 (in bold; starts on Page 22). (I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

dpbjinc posted:

The cost is actually split. It costs $0.03 per movie, plus $2.50 per receiver.

That being said, violating patents isn't illegal, but you can get sued if the patent holders think that you're costing them money (you aren't, so they won't). What's illegal is violating the DMCA, which protects the DRM on DVDs. That said, it's still not illegal to distribute software that violates the DMCA; it's illegal to use it in ways that violates it. For instance, using VLC so that you can screen capture a copy of a DVD for documentary is acceptable, but using it to screen capture an entire copy for backup is not. Here's the list of acceptable uses for 2015-2017 (in bold; starts on Page 22). (I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.)

This is bogus, private people can't violate patents. You can reproduce any patented thing privately. At least it is the way here, and considering the idea behind patents is about that, I'd assume it's like that even in the US.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SEKCobra posted:

This is bogus, private people can't violate patents. You can reproduce any patented thing privately. At least it is the way here, and considering the idea behind patents is about that, I'd assume it's like that even in the US.

35 U.S.C. 271(a) posted:

Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Whether a patent holder would ever actually care is a wholly different story, of course.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Vulture Culture posted:

Whether a patent holder would ever actually care is a wholly different story, of course.

That seems strange. What are the exceptions it mentions?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This doesn't seem to fit in any one thread so I guess this is the best fit?

I need to print some pages to PDF. Unfortunately some need to be portrait and (the vast majority) others landscape, but both foxit pdf printer & the native microsoft pdf creator force either all portrait or all landscape, and the auto-detect isn't useful at all. What software or setting allows me to create PDFs and manually set each page for portrait or landscape? Preferably free.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

double nine posted:

This doesn't seem to fit in any one thread so I guess this is the best fit?

I need to print some pages to PDF. Unfortunately some need to be portrait and (the vast majority) others landscape, but both foxit pdf printer & the native microsoft pdf creator force either all portrait or all landscape, and the auto-detect isn't useful at all. What software or setting allows me to create PDFs and manually set each page for portrait or landscape? Preferably free.

I can't test at the moment, but I think CutePDF preserves the orientation of each page.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a function/program for Windows 7 that lets the mouse perform one action on clicking the mouse and another on releasing? I've gotten used to something similar from games and I'd like something that will right click on press and release, preferably able to recognize programs and swap accordingly. There's going to be something like this but googling brought up a bunch of help articles on how to click the mouse.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a function/program for Windows 7 that lets the mouse perform one action on clicking the mouse and another on releasing? I've gotten used to something similar from games and I'd like something that will right click on press and release, preferably able to recognize programs and swap accordingly. There's going to be something like this but googling brought up a bunch of help articles on how to click the mouse.

Most Macro programs, jitbit macro recorder can, autoit can...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Anybody know a duplicate finder for Outlook 2010?

POPing from gmail has caused me to download multiple copies of the messages and I want to automatically clear it up

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

Anybody know a duplicate finder for Outlook 2010?

POPing from gmail has caused me to download multiple copies of the messages and I want to automatically clear it up

It's built into Outlook (with the stupidest loving name): Right click on the folder and say "Clean Up Folder."

It'll run through and look for, amongst other things, duplicate emails (and there's an option for recursive, too).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arsten posted:

It's built into Outlook (with the stupidest loving name): Right click on the folder and say "Clean Up Folder."

It'll run through and look for, amongst other things, duplicate emails (and there's an option for recursive, too).

Thanks, much appreciated.

and why the gently caress isn't it listed as an option under 'Cleanup Tools' in the 'Mailbox Cleanup' section?

EDIT: loving great: it doesn't clean-up subfolders.

spog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 25, 2016

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Windows 10 - anybody using a USB mic with good recording levels? Fairly fresh install of 10, not one of the insider builds or betas or anything weird like that, not an update
My previous mic setup was a microphone with XLR cable, into a hardware behringer mixer board, and then running that to the line-in on back. Recording levels were fine, all of that shiz was adjustable in the realtek audio manager if needed, or in the windows recording devices under Line In(duh)
Last week I picked up a blue snowball which is all USB and no needed drivers. Quality is good overall, but in the recording devices>snowball>levels, moving that slider all the way to the right 100% and then rightclick to view in dB instead of %, it maxes out at +14.0dB. If I get right the gently caress up on the mic it does pickup, so its not like its not installing or not finding a driver

Seen many references to this for USB mics in general, all seeming to point to usbaudio.sys as being changed after 7 - users with 8/8.1/10 are reporting this. Basically with win7, the recording levels max at around +33 to+26ish dB depeninding on the mic being used, and with same computer, same hardware and windows 10, these levels max at like +10 to +16db

Solutions that I am seeing are mostly along the lines of installing a software preamp and boosting it +20dB. I messed with this a bit last night and while it did make it louder it went quickly into overdriving it and turning it into mush
APO equalizer is the one that seems to ge the most referrals

Is this one of those issues that is just abandoned as Doesn't work, won't fix?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have that same mic at home. I can test it out and see what I get.

Does changing the sound-field switch on the back make any difference?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

Thanks, much appreciated.

and why the gently caress isn't it listed as an option under 'Cleanup Tools' in the 'Mailbox Cleanup' section?

EDIT: loving great: it doesn't clean-up subfolders.

For subfolders, they moved it: Home Tab -> Delete Section -> Cleanup -> Folder and Subfolders. There used to be a check box.

Sorry. :smith:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arsten posted:

For subfolders, they moved it: Home Tab -> Delete Section -> Cleanup -> Folder and Subfolders. There used to be a check box.

Sorry. :smith:

Nah, I really appreciate the help and clicking this a few times is a lot better than the alternative

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

Nah, I really appreciate the help and clicking this a few times is a lot better than the alternative

Well, i should have saved you time by going over and opening outlook instead of phone posting and relying on the memory of running it once in like 2006. :v:

That's worth an apology.

Edit: Also, the reason I don't run it anymore is because I use Mail Store to archive my emails. It deduplicates.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arsten posted:

Well, i should have saved you time by going over and opening outlook instead of phone posting and relying on the memory of running it once in like 2006. :v:

That's worth an apology.

Edit: Also, the reason I don't run it anymore is because I use Mail Store to archive my emails. It deduplicates.

Oooh,..that looks sexy.

I currently have both POP and IMAP email inside Outlook. Every 6 months, I run a POP retrieval of the IMAP email so it is off the cloud and onto my Outlook .pst.
Then I run Archive to move emails >12 months old into a single .pst, unmount it and put that into storage.

I like this because I know that I can always open those .psts without trouble on new installs/updates/recoveries. However it sucks to search for old emails due to Outlook needing to index that archive pst whenever I want to look for something

Will that do it? Have you tried exporting back to Outlook? Cause if so, this looks very cool.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have that same mic at home. I can test it out and see what I get.

Does changing the sound-field switch on the back make any difference?

1 is the normal, 2 adds a 10dB filter on it so its real quitter, and 3 is Omni, about in the middle between 1 and 2
I gotta remember to try plugging it into a 7 machine and see what it shows for the slider

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

Oooh,..that looks sexy.

I currently have both POP and IMAP email inside Outlook. Every 6 months, I run a POP retrieval of the IMAP email so it is off the cloud and onto my Outlook .pst.
Then I run Archive to move emails >12 months old into a single .pst, unmount it and put that into storage.

I like this because I know that I can always open those .psts without trouble on new installs/updates/recoveries. However it sucks to search for old emails due to Outlook needing to index that archive pst whenever I want to look for something

Will that do it? Have you tried exporting back to Outlook? Cause if so, this looks very cool.

Yes, sir.

I've used Mail Store for awhile, now, ever since I saw it four or five years ago as the Server version in a company. It's a very nice product.

I recommend you copy/move your email to a PST before you archive it to Mail Store, though, otherwise it will connect to and retrieve headers for all the emails on the server (and then the full mail message if it doesn't have a header match in its data store) each time you backup. It greatly speeds up the backup if it's local.

It also allows searching through the archive and will even build an index on attachments (PDF, Office, Generic, and Open Office files are the only ones I have tested compatibility with) if you tell it to do so. This is great when you need to find and recover just a few emails for some reason.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arsten posted:

Yes, sir.

I've used Mail Store for awhile, now, ever since I saw it four or five years ago as the Server version in a company. It's a very nice product.

I recommend you copy/move your email to a PST before you archive it to Mail Store, though, otherwise it will connect to and retrieve headers for all the emails on the server (and then the full mail message if it doesn't have a header match in its data store) each time you backup. It greatly speeds up the backup if it's local.

It also allows searching through the archive and will even build an index on attachments (PDF, Office, Generic, and Open Office files are the only ones I have tested compatibility with) if you tell it to do so. This is great when you need to find and recover just a few emails for some reason.

Yesterday I learnt that my Awful app will let me send a PM to a user that doesn't have PMs enabled and so cannot receive a message telling them that I think they are awesome.

This does seem a very cool program. I've had a play and it seems simple to use, yet does what I need it to do.

Not sure why it is 'newly adding' all the emails in previously-scanned .pst when all I have done is to delete some....but I guess i need to play with it a little.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

Yesterday I learnt that my Awful app will let me send a PM to a user that doesn't have PMs enabled and so cannot receive a message telling them that I think they are awesome.

This does seem a very cool program. I've had a play and it seems simple to use, yet does what I need it to do.

Not sure why it is 'newly adding' all the emails in previously-scanned .pst when all I have done is to delete some....but I guess i need to play with it a little.

Weird. I have every upgrade but Plat. I'll have to fix that.

If you have anything running that modifies the headers, it'll re-add the message. I'm not sure about what, specifically, it uses for that matching, but I've had programs (Enterprise Vault, Acrobat PDF) that modify headers for some feature in those programs to work and it re-adds those.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I've used this thread's recommendations on good free malware/spyware removal software, but do those work well for keyloggers or are there other things I can use? I had a computer crash and some other issues and I paid someone at my work who does computer repair on the side to fix it for me, but getting it back I had Relevant Knowledge and a few other odds and ends on it. It looks like he used a ChrisPC application and some Russian freeware service (Winaero) to download some stuff to bypass an issue my computer was having in upgrading to Windows 10 that caused the crash in the first place, so it's entirely possible it slipped by him when he did that innocently. But better safe than sorry.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 26, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

I've used this thread's recommendations on good free malware/spyware removal software, but do those work well for keyloggers or are there other things I can use? I had a computer crash and some other issues and I paid someone at my work who does computer repair on the side to fix it for me, but getting it back I had Relevant Knowledge and a few other odds and ends on it. It looks like he used a ChrisPC application and some Russian freeware service (Winaero) to download some stuff to bypass an issue my computer was having in upgrading to Windows 10 that caused the crash in the first place, so it's entirely possible it slipped by him when he did that innocently. But better safe than sorry.

I put my faith in Malwarebytes.

However, in a case like yours where you don't know what has been done, and there are multiple hits, I'd be seriously considering a wipe and reinstall

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have to replace a bunch of files with other files but keep the original file name.

So original_file.jpg gets deleted and new_file.jpg gets renamed to original_file.jpg.

Is there a piece of software that will let me drag and drop new_file.jpg onto original_file.jpg and it will delete original_file.jpg and rename new_file.jpg for me?

That might not have made any sense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

fuf posted:

I have to replace a bunch of files with other files but keep the original file name.

So original_file.jpg gets deleted and new_file.jpg gets renamed to original_file.jpg.

Is there a piece of software that will let me drag and drop new_file.jpg onto original_file.jpg and it will delete original_file.jpg and rename new_file.jpg for me?

Not sure i understand: how will the software know what new_file.jpg will be renamed as, if 'new_file' =/= 'original_file'?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fuf posted:

Why don't you just rename the new files to the same as the old, then overwrite the old with the new...

A simple renaming sounds like the most common way to explain what you want to do.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

spog posted:

Not sure i understand: how will the software know what new_file.jpg will be renamed as, if 'new_file' =/= 'original_file'?

Because I'm hoping I can drag new_file on top of original_file and the software will know I'm trying to replace original_file with new_file but keep the same file name.

HalloKitty posted:

Why don't you just rename the new files to the same as the old, then overwrite the old with the new...

A simple renaming sounds like the most common way to explain what you want to do.

That's what I do now: select original_file, press F2, press ctrl-C, select new_file, press F2, press ctrl-V, then replace the old version with the new version.

Which is fine, but I wondered if I could speed up the process.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Bluedeanie posted:

This is a good, free full scan from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fuf posted:

Because I'm hoping I can drag new_file on top of original_file and the software will know I'm trying to replace original_file with new_file but keep the same file name.

That's what I do now: select original_file, press F2, press ctrl-C, select new_file, press F2, press ctrl-V, then replace the old version with the new version.

Which is fine, but I wondered if I could speed up the process.

I'm still not clear on how a program would know which new files correspond to which old files. Are the pairs of filenames related in a systematic way?

Bulk Rename Utility can greatly speed up the renaming, at least. How much time it saves probably depends on what sort of naming scheme is in place. Worst-case scenario, you can provide it with basically a before-and-after list of filenames for the new files, then overwrite the old files all at once.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Toast Museum posted:

I'm still not clear on how a program would know which new files correspond to which old files. Are the pairs of filenames related in a systematic way?

I would do them one at a time, so the program would just need to keep track of the source file and the target file it is being dragged on top of.

Toast Museum posted:

Bulk Rename Utility can greatly speed up the renaming, at least. How much time it saves probably depends on what sort of naming scheme is in place. Worst-case scenario, you can provide it with basically a before-and-after list of filenames for the new files, then overwrite the old files all at once.

There's no scheme or pattern unfortunately. The original image names are like "product-name.jpg" and the new images are like "DCS123456.jpg" - I have to manually look at the thumbnails and figure out that DCS123456.jpg is the updated product image for product-name.jpg.

The software I'm imagining would let me drag DCS123456.jpg on top of product-name.jpg and it would delete the old product-name.jpg and rename DCS123456.jpg to product-name.jpg. I guess it's not exactly a common problem so probably nothing exists and I'll just keep doing it manually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

I would do them one at a time, so the program would just need to keep track of the source file and the target file it is being dragged on top of.

There's no scheme or pattern unfortunately. The original image names are like "product-name.jpg" and the new images are like "DCS123456.jpg" - I have to manually look at the thumbnails and figure out that DCS123456.jpg is the updated product image for product-name.jpg.

The software I'm imagining would let me drag DCS123456.jpg on top of product-name.jpg and it would delete the old product-name.jpg and rename DCS123456.jpg to product-name.jpg. I guess it's not exactly a common problem so probably nothing exists and I'll just keep doing it manually.

Depending on how long you're going to be at it, it might be worth your time to write something in AutoIT to help you.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

What's the free PDF reader of choice nowadays?

NLJP fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 27, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NLJP posted:

What's the free PDF reader of choice nowadays?

If you are on Windows 8 or 10, the Adobe reader in the Windows Store actually works fairly nice.

If you are on 7, I'd say Firefox or Chromes' built in readers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I use Edge to view PDFs on Win10.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I use Edge to view PDFs on Win10.

Edge on my system crashes when loading. MSN.com? Poof, window gone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the thousandth prompt to upgrade to Windows 10 came in, and I exited out. Then my computer started to shut down to install Windows 10. I declined the terms of agreement after the hour of installing it took and it reverted to 7, but what the gently caress? No means no. Is that going to happen again?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
The latest update to the Get Windows 10 nag software they made closing the window with the X button the same as hitting "upgrade now".

Uninstall the KB with the nag software and apply the GPO's to disable the OS upgrade if you don't want to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

37th Chamber posted:

The latest update to the Get Windows 10 nag software they made closing the window with the X button the same as hitting "upgrade now".

Uninstall the KB with the nag software and apply the GPO's to disable the OS upgrade if you don't want to upgrade.

Thanks, will do. I thought it was a virus for a second; my monitor went blank for a bit before I realized it went to my tv, which was turned off at the time but also hooked up to the PC.