Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Lyev Trotsky posted:

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe initialization failed

Strangely I've never gotten the unknown api or whatever message before.. Why are different people getting different messages?

e: Also I can't seem to find any punkbuster processes in services.msc

I've had problems with EVERY Punkbuster game I've tried (BF2, BF2142, ETQW, and COD4) and there isn't a fix. I've read 2 or 3 "fixes" on various forums, and none have worked for me on RC7100.

1) Changing the pnkbstrA/B services to "interact with desktop" (or whatever, you'll find it) didn't work.

2) Neither did changing these services to run in compatibility mode or with admin privaledges (they're in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and C:\Users\YER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\GAME HERE)

3) Giving admin/compatability to the games themselves hasn't worked either.

4) Updating the Punkbuster game files using the client at Evenbalance.com (http://evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php) didn't help.

They've said on the forums they won't support beta OS's, so I guess we're out of luck for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Xithyl posted:

Program Files hold 64-bit programs. Program Files (x86) house 32-bit programs.

I think.

Yep, that's right. It makes it easy to see the 64-bit stuff you have.

Note that some really, really old installers sometimes still throw 32-bit stuff in the x86 directory.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

hobb posted:

Nah that doesn't work. I've tried all 3 vista compatiblity settings to install those drivers for my G11 and it keeps giving the popup about not being compatible with this OS.

edit: re: logitech gamepanel install thing..

Compatability mode + run as admin + (make sure you have the right vista drivers, x64 or x86) and it should work. It has for me and a couple others in the thread with the issue

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

hobb posted:

I wonder if this is just a weird typo. I have a different monitor and nvidia graphics card and it also gets stuck on 59hz.

Also having this issue, haven't found a fix yet (or even if it's a problem)

edit: Apparently for nVidia users it's a driver issue, the new May 6th beta drivers on the nVidia site seem to have fixed it

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2009

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WillieWestwood posted:

Unless you're using a CRT monitor, refresh rate is irrelevant.

My FPS in games is capped at 59 instead of 60! (due to vsync)

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

Anyone else here been selected to host a windows 7 launch party?

I wonder if they'll actually send me my copy :/ there seem to be a lot of people hosting.

Just finished my party info and whatnot, seems like I got through and "won" a spot to host.

Ironically I think I am one of the 10 people who will unironically actually be hosting a fun shindig and not just skimming for a free copy of Win7

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So overall, with 3GB RAM, it's not gonna make much difference if I install 64-bit or 32-bit? Was leaning towards x64 anyway, just making sure its slightly higher RAM requirement wasn't going to negatively impact on things.

If your processor can run x64, there's almost no reason not to.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Went the x64 route, had everything going swimmingly, then I tried to use a wireless broadband dongle...

Many hours later, on x86 now.

Really? I haven't had any issues finding drivers for stuff, as most of the time you can just use old Vista stuff. Obviously if you have some bizarre hardware it might be a pain, but even my weird stuff like midi keyboard controllers are working fine in x64

edit: or we coulda helped find that wireless dongle driver for you!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Is there an easy-to-use program to capture audio from what's playing through speakers/to an audio device and save it as a wav or mp3? Bonus if I can clip or edit bits of it, but not mandatory.

Double bonus if it can also chop up existing wav or mp3 files. The clips wouldn't be longer than a few seconds.

Free is best, though I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

MikusR posted:

for cutting:
For mp3 there is https://mpesch3.de/ MP3DirectCut.
In general https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

As for capturing, https://obsproject.com/ can help. But if you need to capture something from a Tube site there are better alternatives. Like https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp or https://streamlink.github.io/

Thank you, this all looks great! Appreciate the tube tips, it'd be sweet to be able pull from there for bits and bites