Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

I have an Asus nForce4 motherboard, and noticed that the drivers on the Nvidia website are now legacy drivers that only go as far as Vista, no Win7. Same for Asus' website. Will Vista version work? Planning on using the 64-bit version, if it matters.

Otherwise I'm ready to upgrade, I don't really use any special programs or hardware that could cause me problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

xamphear posted:

I would be shocked if you had to install any motherboard/chipset drivers at all. They're probably baked right into the install CD.

I figured as much, it's just that I'm using onboard audio so don't wanna end up with no sound or something. It's just a habit, I got used to using Nvidia's drivers and thinking if I can't set up something in the Windows control panel regarding sound, I can always muck around in the NvMixer although they pretty much do the same thing. I'm a silly person.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

killerrabbit posted:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, an nForce 4 AMD board. 7100 installed without a hitch, the drivers are indeed included in the install. Also, as soon as I connected to Windows Update, it downloaded a bunch of drivers for other parts of the board-the RAID chipset, the onboard sound, both NICs, it was great and had no problems at all.

In the end I had no issues with the motherboard drivers, everything worked right away including sound and networking. I could go online without even typing in any details, even after a clean install but I guess I have my new router to thank for that.

The problem ended up being the graphics drivers, Aero I guess, because after the first boot up I got welcomed by a black screen. Installed latest drivers through safe mode and that fixed it. It looked a bit scary at first, especially since there's no other way out of it than resetting your PC and there are no error messages.

Now to figure out why X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't starting although others report it should be working fine.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You Am I posted:

Played GTA4 on Win 7 x64 last night, seems to run a little better under Win 7 compared to Vista. Very pleased.

On the other hand I tried playing Dawn of War 2 today and it is noticeably running worse than on XP. Team Fortress 2 runs fine, except when the screen zooms on whoever killed me, then it starts to flicker but only at that moment. I got a 7950GX2 and it might be something to do with drivers.

EDIT: Seems like setting Image Settings to "Let the 3D application decide" in the Nvidia control panel made DoW2 run smooth again.

Storm- fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 18, 2009

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

Hmm, Win7 failed to boot, it just froze with my screen looking like it's in sleep mode, and after the automatic repair which I was forced to make, since my keyboard suddenly stopped working, that didn't do anything, it's working fine now. Gave me the eebie jeebies, I don't remember doing any driver installations or especially plugging in new hardware. Just using a lot of commas.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

ryo posted:

Last night I tried to install 64bit Windows 7 on my desktop, however when it got to the "expanding files" part it slowed down to a crawl. I left it on overnight, and when I checked it 5 hours later it had only got to 97%. A couple of hours later it failed because it couldn't set locale settings.

Anyone else had this problem of it taking far too long to expand files? I know the DVD is fine because I used the same one on a laptop and that installed in about 40 minutes total.

I checked the Intel site to make sure I had a processor that supported 64 bit. I'm installing on a clean hard drive and using the Windows 7 setup to format it.

Try changing your main HD's cable if you got a spare. I once had a similar problem installing XP, the setup would be failing at different points until I changed the cable. It drove me insane thinking it might be the HD failing or something worse, since 30 min before that I was playing games fine and using computer normally.

Same thing might be the answer to OMGWTFJohnny's issue. It might not be the answer but try it if you haven't.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

Performed my first ever dual-boot (Win 8.1 as main, Win 7 as secondary) and now I'm a bit confused. The process was actually quite simple and straightforward. :buddy: The way I did it was simply creating a Win 7 virtual hard disk from within Win 8 by just shrinking my main drive and installing it on the new volume from an ISO within Win 8. My plan in the future when I get a bigger drive is to simply partition it and have Win 8 on C: and Win 7 on D: with D: possibly being a separate hard disk.

Problem is, after installing Win 7 it is considered my main OS. During boot it is on top of the list and it kinda annoys me. Not a big deal, I guess, but still. What bothers me more is if I launch msconfig to set Win 8 as my main/default OS, it changes startup settings from "Normal" to "Selective" and it automatically unchecks "Use original boot configuration". Again, probably not a big deal, but if I select "Normal startup", Win 7 automatically becomes the default OS again.

So, what gives? Why is my secondary OS forcing itself to be my default one? Should I install Windows 7 first, then 8? The point is to use 8 and eventually 9/10/etc. on C:, while retaining Win 7 on D: for older games. I actually do have one old game that runs on 7 but not on 8 and there's no fix for it. And I kinda don't want to have my main OS on D: or do a backwards installation of installing an OS to D: first then C:. I suppose it doesn't really matter but I'm just a retard with an OCD. Please help.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

You did want to install Win7 first, then Win8, but that's in the past. Easiest non-destuctive way to fix this now is using http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Okay, thanks for the link. That seems like a nifty program to have. But I think I'll just deal with what I have as long as it works without any issues. I just need to remember next time to install the older OS first and newer one second.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you dual booting 7/8.1? Some sort of software compatibility issue?

I said it in my post above, I have one game that works in WinXP/7 but not 8, Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. And I have no clue where my XP key is so I'm just going with 7. I'm not sure what seems to be the issue but the game is nearly unplayable with lag and short freezes yet other older games work fine. This is just a precaution for any other possible incompatibilities both under Windows 8 and future versions of Windows. I know Microsoft is pretty good with supporting older stuff but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

If they improve the UI that alone would make Windows 10 a worthy upgrade. Just make the titlebar semi-transparent as the taskbar and have the windows which are not in focus to not have white borders but lighter shade of the main UI color. Or just give me (for the love of God) back the glass theme. I also can't believe no one at Microsoft noticed that making the UI dark makes the title of each window unreadable. UI is the one thing you stare at all the time you're using the drat OS.

And sign me the gently caress up on dropping the number and just naming this thing Windows.