Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
univbee
Maybe put a link in the OP to the SecurAble application so unsure users can check for 64bit and/or Hardware Virtualization capabilities of their processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

deadEd posted:

It is there already, under the "Special Requirements for XP Mode" section.

Gah, my history made it black so it blended in.

Well it should be under the 32/64bit part too :colbert:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Do post 7100 versions bring anything really great to the table?

I can't run XP mode, so anything in that department is moot to me.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Johnny! posted:

I've downloaded the 64 bit version of the RC twice in the last day for a build I'm doing next month and both times the Microsoft download manager has said the file is corrupt after its finished downloading. Am I doing something wrong or is the file just 'corrupt' and it should actually work?

Shouldn't you be able to check the hashsum?
64-bit English ISO SHA1: FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874 (first page of this thread)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I love how the Technet forums still have people complaining about the Start Menu.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So as I said before, I found it funny that people were still complaining about the Start Menu.
Someone's all in a hissy fit because they can't type "WindowsKey" then P then A then M for their media player or something...

Figuring that the "WindowsKey+#" taskbar shortcut wouldn't be good enough, I tried to make a shortcut key of "WindowsKey+M", however when I press "WindowsKey" it shows up as "Ctrl + Alt" and the shortcut ONLY works as "Ctrl + Alt" is this some bug that I found way too late?

EDIT: Oh I see shortcuts must be Ctrl + Alt {key}

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 18, 2009

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Xaranx posted:

All I remember about the CPU was that it was one of the first of the s939 Venice chipsets released.

And that's a good point about the drivers, I had enough trouble finding the XP drivers ever since dfistreet went away. Guess I'll see if I can find motherboard drivers first then go from there.

Well check CPU-Z or SecurAble just to double check the 64-bit compatibility of the processor.

As far as drivers, my computer is 5 years old, and is running 7 fine.
Granted I'm currently running 32bit, because I only hav 1GB of RAM and getting a bootable 64bit USB was a pain in the rear end.

However when the first beta came out I did go 64-bit and it was fine with these specs.
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
  • Graphics: nVidia Geforce 7600
  • Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone know when we'll be able to buy a computer that comes with Windows 7 installed? I know most places have the free upgrade right now, but since my mother is possibly looking for a new computer I'd rather she not have to go through it.

Also, slightly off topic, what is the best company to buy a prebuilt from?
No :smug: responses of Apple, please.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

10/23?
Dell. (gently caress apple)

Godzilla07 posted:

I believe 10/23 is when you'll be able to buy a desktop or laptop with W7 preloaded on it already.

If you want a prebuilt desktop, try HP or Dell's budget-box systems. My grandfather had the same WinME desktop by HP for 7 years so it has to be built well. My dad has a Dell that's running along fine. As for laptops, Lenovo, HP or Dell. I am heavily biased towards ThinkPads because of their awesome build quality. Dell and HP also have good laptops from what I've heard.

I see. I knew 10/23 was when it was available to buy, but I figured since it already went RTM you could get a computer with it sooner.

Interesting to hear two for Dell, as I thought they had crappy build quality.

I ask because the existing ~5 year old Gateway is making clicking noises. Dunno if we should get a new HDD or just an entire new computer.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys. The other program I was asking about was Spaces, which is actually awesome. It's basically a program that creates multiple desktops you can switch between while working. It pretty much effectively eliminates the need to minimize and maximize applications as you multi-task.

Here's a video of Spaces in action

Hopefully Windows 7 will have something like it.

Windows 7 doesn't have workspaces Spaces, Linux of course has had them for years. Regardless though, I know there were some 3rd party applications that were written for XP, so hopefully there will be ones rewritten for 7.

I never saw the use of spaces, but that's me.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Aturaten posted:

I am seriously thinking about installing the RC, but there are a few caveats.

Firstly, I am running a system with a SiS chipset, 760. Would this even loving support Windows 7? I am also running an AGP graphics card, 7800GS. Same question. My system specs are below:

HDD: 160GB WD ATA
Motherboard: Literally the worst one in existence. OEM HP Asus, Salmon.
RAM: 1GB Corsair DDR
Video Card: 7800 GS
CPU: S 754 Athlon 3200+

So, think it'll run? Oh, and I'll be repartiooning this drive with partition magic. I just want to try it out, but cannot imagine it'd run well in a VM.

Thats' pretty much the specs I had when I first installed Windows 7 (though I had the 7600GT PCI-E card). Windows 7 ran fine though. Not sure about the SiS thing

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I haven't used the included Virtual PC, but when/if Microsoft's drivers are put into the Linux kernel does that mean Windows 7 could easily virtualize Linux?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Kind of off topic, but is there a good S.M.A.R.T. monitoring utility that definitely works correctly in Windows 7?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I'm trying out the whole themes thing. (RC)
I can't get custom sounds to work! I made .wav files, and I go to sounds to browse to the wav file, but when I apply I don't hear them. I don't even hear them when I hit 'test', yet I hear them if I open them directly.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Casao posted:

Do you hear normal system sounds? Check the mixer and be sure System sounds is turned up.

Yeah the normal ones, and the preinstalled alternatives are fine.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Took the files from an old 95/98 them I wanted to update.
Seems the codec is 'araw', 8bit, mono, 22Khz

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 14, 2009

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Converted one with SUPER and it seems to work now, even though the codec information still says araw. Oh well, at least it works!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So still playing around in themes, the .themepack thing is nice.
I'm running the RC, but can someone running RTM confirm that themepacks CAN NOT change your account picture, even though it's mentioned with everything else under Personalize?

Pilsner posted:

I don't use pinning, so I can't really use that, but thanks.
Why don't you use pinning?
The apps that, when launched, would show up in the taskbar anyway, might as well already have them there and get the added benefit of Win+#

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Did something happen in the past day or two? People are bitching about the lack of a Classic Start Menu in Windows 7 again

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Where do I go for the "About Windows" window?
Not the "View Basic Information" one, I mean the one in the first 3 results for "Windows 7 about"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Type winver into the start search.

There we are! Thanks