Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

4 Day Weekend posted:

I was initially running on 4GB, but it bugged out so I switched to 2x1GB. I can honestly not tell any difference.

BIOS.

I went from XP 32 to Vista 64 some time back, and the computer lost its poo poo with 4 gigs in, until I updated my BIOS, and the system quickly recovered. So yeah, try updating your BIOS.

(Although it is nice that you can't tell the difference between 2 gigs and 4 yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dr Tran posted:

Is there a partition resizer built in or do I need to find software?

Sort of: you can expand and shrink volumes right from the Disk Management screen, but you still need something else to actually move things around.

(Partition Magic not linked because I don't know if it works in 7)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dr Tran posted:

I shrunk my c: drive from 60gb to 50gb
I want to expand my d: drive from 80 to 90, but the expand option is grayed out

edit: forgot I had a gparted disc. Its working on resizing.

Yeah, I should have clarified my statement. You can change the endpoint of partitions, but not the start point, in Disk Management.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

queztal posted:

I've only gotten that Avira "Don't be bugged by the Internet" pop-up twice; should I expect it to come up more? I found a few ways to disable it but was going to wait until it came up again.

It will keep happening, and the fix doesn't cause problems; just do it now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Charles Martel posted:

Here's a nifty side-by-side chart comparing each version. Unless you desperately need XP mode for old business (read: non-intensive software) or need to make your computer a remote host to another computer, Home Premium is the one to get.

WELL then. Yeah, I have trouble seeing even an SHSC regular having trouble with Home Premium on their own computer, though I suspect that returning to reghacks after XP and 7's policy editor (and maybe Vista's) will be a bit of a pain.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

kingcobweb posted:

I'm currently running 32-bit Vista. Am I going to see any performance difference shifting to 64-bit Win7 with a 4000+ processor and 2gb of RAM?

64-bit code generally does file operations faster (esp. compression and encryption) but uses 20~50% more memory, depending on how much of your software is native 64-bit. On top of this, it's not nearly so vulnerable to malware and can comprehend the existence of more than 4 gigs of RAM (not important for you now, but this will probably not be your last computer ever.).

Windows 7 is categorically better performing than Vista, assuming all your software works on it (and unless you rely on Punkbuster or retail Symantec AV, it should).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Shannow posted:

Wacom drivers -> show-desktop-button-zilla

That's a side effect of installing pen or tablet functionality. You're stuck with it unless you suddenly don't want your Wacom drivers installed anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ziir posted:

Actually, this laptop came with 32-bit Vista when I bought it a year a go. Why, Best Buy, why.

Because
A) the myth of driver issues was still alive (and a year or two before that it was still real and not just a myth), and describing changes in corporate culture as glacial would be generous
B) not having 4 GB is an excuse to throw 32 bit on there so their precious subsidyware doesn't break
C) they probably still had people whining at them about how their own crappy software wouldn't work in x64, and
D) if you haven't gathered it from Best Buy yet, their personal opinion is probably "Because gently caress you, consumer".

quote:

Edit 2: If I have 32-bit Vista, can I still download 64-bit Windows 7 and install it on a new partition to dual boot?

No reason you shouldn't be able to.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Is it a regular click or a random click?

Either way, you should know better than to use official Creative driver distributions for an Audigy card past XP. (They've been total dicks about it to try to move everyone on to X-Fi. Because they desperately need people to not be using Audigy when motherboards frequently come with ALC888 or better.) Try these on for size.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Scrios posted:

build 7000 [Really!? -Ed.]

I think I speak for most of the thread when I say MOVE TO THE RC ALREADY. It's far more stable and works a fair bit smoother besides, and with more things, and I'd be a bit surprised if your problem didn't go away.

If you're worried about losing stuff, just upgrade to it from within your current build. (You'll want to open up /sources/cversion.ini on your install media and change MinClient from 7100 to 7000, otherwise it won't work. This is just one reason why flash media is so useful for installing OSes.)

Or don't, and then we'll laugh at you next month when you computer starts periodically shutting down (by design; it is a beta, after all) and you join the flood of people coming in and going "wtf m8 ^^;" about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 11, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay.

Yeah, that seems a bit odd. I don't suspect it's a difference between AMD64 and x86 codebases, though, because it seems to work fine in both versions of 7 RC.

Let's see what display hardware you have - including monitor drivers and additional monitor software, if any.

Also: check your color profiles (under color management - it gets its own entry in the control panel), and retry calibration on a default one (if any). The one you're using could be corrupt or badly written.

I would also suggest trying to do most of your color correction in monitor hardware, if at all possible.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Do you have a chart or something of which CPUs have the VT extensions enabled?

Intel does. (Use the small text headers to switch processor classes.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Noble Nobbler posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on how to get beyond what seems to me to be an nforce 650i / Sata drive problem? It locks up on expanding files every time and then the drive becomes unresponsive to the BIOS until I reboot. Sometimes I need to turn off the power supply to get it to recognize the drive again.

That's precisely my controller and I've never had that problem.

1) What driver are you using, and which version of it?
2) Have you tried switching or reinstalling drivers?
3) Have you eliminated hardware error as a possible cause?

And before I forget: Which build of Windows 7?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 19, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

tinkan posted:

What program would you recommend as the best partition manager compatible with Windows 7?

From within Windows or bootable?

Within Windows itself, Windows 7 has rudimentary partition management. It can extend or shrink partitions, but it can't change where one starts. Also it can't really deal with existing filesystem structures, limiting how much a partition can be shrunk.

For most other things you're probably best off with gparted or something. Back up first if you can't disconnect drives with things you don't want to lose on them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ninjawtf posted:

Can anyone give me some help for updating - right now I'm using 7022 and trying to upgrade to 7100. I edited cversion.ini like all the guides say to 7000 and whenever i try upgrading i get.
"To upgrade to Windows 7, the computer needs to be running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later."

Any ideas?

Did you change the right one? (7077 to 7000)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Do I need to do a clean install for this version of win 7? I am currently running build 7000 and want to upgrade to 7100, but it doesn't seem to want to let me. I mounted it to a disk as an image and tried to install it that way. From there it told me to take it out of my drive, restart and install it from windows. I did that and it then said I can't upgrade from 7000 to 7100.

edit: 64 bit if it matters.

Are they the same codebase? You can't upgrade to a 64-bit version from a 32-bit version, and you can't (and wouldn't want to) upgrade to a 32-bit version from a 64-bit version.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any way to recalibrate how sensitive Windows is to a microphone? I have Win 7 dual booting with Win XP and when I use XP my mic works fine but Windows 7 can barely hear it.

'Sound' control panel > Recording tab > Microphone properties >> Levels tab

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kiwillian posted:

This may have been discussed but this thread is long, what exactly does this ReadyBoost thing do? How does putting anything on a NAND flash device help things :confused:

Readyboost basically caches to flash. It can be useful in single-drive systems, but even then it's generally not the best use of your flash memory because of probable long-term damage to its writability. It was basically a crutch to widen the range of Vista-certifiable hardware. Given the way technology is going, it's on its way out for anything shy of particularly hobbled netbooks, and it probably won't even hold out there past this generation.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kali11324 posted:

I don't see where you can actually pay for it though. Are all the preorders already gone?

Microsoft Windows 7 site posted:

Come back on June 26, 2009 to find the retailers supporting the Pre-order offer.

Wait a day for it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Linux Nazi posted:

What is a good lightweight ISO mounting program? I don't care about any emulations for copy protection stuffs like daemontools does, just something to mount some ISOs. I was under the impression that Windows 7 could mount ISOs without any 3rd party software but I'm not finding anything.

Virtual CloneDrive.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Abderian posted:

Can I upgrade my WIn 7 Beta to 7 E, or will I have to scratch?

From what tech news has reported, E versions aren't even available as upgrades.

(Note to self: Next time, quote the correct reply.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

EpicNemesis posted:

Rebooted three times now, I'm going to reinstall to see if that fixes it. It installed in less than an hour, rebooted itself, gets passed the startup screen and then just hangs on a black screen. This is a x64 install too if that changes anything.

Does it take its sweet drat time to get through the startup screen?

How much RAM do you have?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Propaganda Hour posted:

My Nvidia graphics driver has recently been killing my computer. I'm getting all these blue/red wavy lines over my screen and whenever I boot outside of safe mode I get BSOD. If I uninstall the driver then it will load normal....until windows 7 automatically reinstalls the bad driver. How do I get the windows 7 driver update or whatever it is stop? I'm in 7100 still

Edit: 8800 GT card

Delete the driver. Use driver cleaner of choice to scour the driver from your system forever. Remove all internet access. Reboot and install last known good driver. Turn off automatic updates. Reconnect internet. Hide nVidia driver updates in Windows Update and never touch the update button in nVidia control panel again (or at least, not until the number actually goes up). Set Windows Update to (at most) notify but do not download until a newer working driver shows up. Kick Action Center in the teeth if it gives you lip. If this happens again, start over from step 1.

If that doesn't work, try another OS in another partition. If that STILL doesn't work (when it should), then maybe it's your card.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 18, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Propaganda Hour posted:

But is there no way to manually turn off the driver manager software in windows?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. If you mean 'drivers installing automatically', I can see why you'd want to, but this really is a freak situation, and as long as you can curb that one driver you'd be doing yourself quite a disservice by turning it off, if such a thing is even possible without bringing the system to its knees.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Xenomorph posted:

That's exactly what I do. Disable, reboot, defrag, set static.

Don't just defrag. Use a defrag utility that allows you to move the stuff at the start of the drive to the end of the drive. Then make the page file, and THEN defrag as usual. If it still ends up fragmented, then there may be something wrong with the system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Charles Martel posted:

But isn't the RTM ISO that's out right now the "Ultimate" edition? What happens if people try and just use their Home Premium and Professional keys when they get their copies in? Will the RTM take them since it's technically "Ultimate"?

Not as such.

By default it will only install Ultimate.

But you can edit ei.cfg to install the version you want.

Or delete it to get an edition ballot during the install.

It doesn't just feed you the version of the key you put in anymore, though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Full Circle posted:

Mind elaborating?

You go into sources\cversion.ini and set the client number below your current build. (7100 should work fine, but if it doesn't just drop it further, though 7000 is probably where I'd draw the line.)

Still not the best of ideas, because there's a risk of the system flaking the hell out on you because of old files, but it's at least possible.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Vinlaen posted:

Does Windows 7 have any type of a built-in virtualization host?

I'd like to run certain questionable (or one-time use) applications under a virtual machine so I'm protected and/or don't need to clutter the main operating system.

I'm guessing that VMware works but that installs a whole bunch of extra drivers and it would be nice to have something supported natively by Win7...

Virtual PC is available on Professional and up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Shmoogy posted:

No, it is asking me for 460 gigs free. I have a terabyte hard drive to back up things on, but I don't want to use half of it to back this up.

I think it's trying to create an image of Windows 7 partition AND vista partition (460 gigs) I'll try playing around with it later.

e:

It's just a notice, not a stop. You can still choose what you want to back up in the next two screens.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ Yeah, it'd most likely result in garbage data. Way to waste people's time, you rebels! :patriot:

PopeOnARope posted:

Well to be fair, if it's theoretically possible to falisify an MD5 hash, then it should be doable for a SHA1 as well. Does anyone have a supercomputer I can use for a decade?

Even if you can do one, I can't imagine how long it would take to collide with both at the same time. Hence multiple hashes and you use ExactFile or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

frabba posted:

Trip report 1: Even though I'm running the Windows 7 RCx64, and I am trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, The installer is not letting me proceed. welp.

*edit* Heh, could've sworn that I read somewhere that this should've been possible, but just re-read the updated OP. At least I can do the in-place upgrade on my vista machine :unsmith:

It IS possible if you screw with sources\cversion.ini - it's just rather ill-advised.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NmareBfly posted:

Basic question that I'm sure has been answered but this thread is huge :ohdear:.

I'm upgrading from XP 32 to 7 64, and before I take the plunge I'm trying to grab all the drivers that I need. Is it safe to assume that a Vista 64 driver will carry over to 7 if there aren't any 7 specific drivers listed?

They're pretty related, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Hell, if they're signed, some things can (and do) still use XP-compatible drivers, although this is serious last resort territory. (Also it should go without saying that the new video and sound models mean you can't do this with those parts of the system.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Edward IV posted:

It couldn't take the proper AHCI drivers since they weren't signed and forcing those drivers to install ended up breaking Windows.

In x64 this is apparently by design, and the reason it breaks windows is because without signed AHCI drivers it thinks you have no hard drive. I'm not a great fan of it either, but you really are better off just using the signed drivers unless you can figure out how to keep signature enforcement off all the time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grey Area posted:

I upgraded my Nvidia 8600 GT to a GTS 250 and I lost the ability to do non-native resolution scaling. When I apply anything other than the do-nothing "display's built-in scaling" option in the control panel it just goes right back to "built-in". I installed the latest driver from nvidia.com but that did nothing. I googled a bit and found lots of people with the same issue. Anyone know if there is a fix?

Yeah, this is a stupid problem that's come up with at least nVidia and intel packages. (No word from ATi users, and I don't know how many other companies make 7-compatible video cards.) I have to think it's a policy decision.

Try doing it when you're in the resolution you're working on. Even then, you might be stuck with 1:1 and built-in.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Mensur posted:

2558mb of ram? I don't quite get how you would get a number like that but assuming you're talking about somewhere in the 2gb area, that and everything else looks fine. I'm running it on my media center on a pentium D 2.0ghz and onboard video and it runs just fine.

2560 is 2.5 GB (as in some combination of sticks that adds up to 2 GB and some combination that adds up to 512 MB). If they're reading from a line in the OS, it might take off a couple MB for hardware reserved things. Hence 2558.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tagra posted:

the printer is now running on drivers for 7

Without more details I can't be sure, but it's entirely possible the 7 drivers are not only not XP compatible but can't talk to whatever drivers the netbook uses for a shared version of this printer - and if those are just the same drivers, then they probably aren't XP-compatible. And drivers from XP often don't work in Vista or 7 themselves.

First see if you can use 7 drivers in 7 and XP drivers in XP and still share the printer properly. If that doesn't work, see if the 7 has built-in drivers for your printer; if it does, see if those work in XP. Or see if the XP driver works properly in 7, or - if it only claims to work but doesn't actually print in 7, and you only need to print from the netbook - if it can print properly from the netbook. Without an ethernet interface, it's probably impossible to find a more elegant solution.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RTM is a shorthand for build 7600. It means Release to Manufacturer and, if you want to refer to things by service packs, would be SP0. It IS the retail version, at least until service-packed versions of 7 hit the shelves in a year or two.

What he referred to as RTM is the release candidate (build 7100).

The important part: What he's trying to explain is that the RC (if activated) will allow an upgrade editiondisc (of any feature level) to activate. You still might have to clean install, based on your previous version.

The even more important part: This implies that you can install the upgrade version of Windows 7 over an existing installation - but it still has to be activated first*. It's still useful if you want to :pt: later when you have that retail 7 installation activated, and upgrade media is all you have.

*If you don't have 7 retail installed and activated, you still have to start from somewhere other than your Windows 7 upgrade disc (like the RC - and I'd hurry; I imagine Microsoft won't be letting it activate much longer now that 7's being sold).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 22, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Windows 7 license keys are not architecture-specific. A 32-bit key will work on a 64-bit disc, and vice versa, if all else is equal.

That said, I don't know what the DLM's data at initiation is, or how far off the retail disc the files it produces are.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

There is no way in Hell I'd install if it was the wrong hash. You're pretty much playing with napalm if you do that. (You have no idea what's in the file. Probably Windows, maybe with tweaks, maybe with a virus, maybe with a Sherman tank. Once the hash fails to match, it's almost impossible to trust it.)

That said, you may not want to delete it right off. Could just be a bad torrent or write glitch. Force recheck the torrent. If anything pops up bad, let it redownload the bad pieces. If nothing does, try pointing another torrent at the image. See if it corrects the errors and results in a matching hash then.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

There are about eighty billion other torrent sites. However, we can't direct you at a particular file, because that would be :filez:, and we can't direct you at a particular tracker, because we don't know what they have.

The hashes are only available in the interest of user safety and security, and in any case hashes for non-v7-Ultimate versions of Windows - or other Microsoft software - are easy enough to find even on Microsoft's site.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 30, 2009