Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ATI dropped the 9.5 drivers today. I used to have an Nvidia card, why do they make this so confusing? I get 4 choices in terms of downloads, which ones do I need? I run a 4890 card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

fishmech posted:

Uh some people might want to have the older Catalyst Center for bug reasons. I really don't see what's so wrong about that page, other than the fact that you're too lazy to use PNG instead of JPG on a screenshot.

Thats the default snipping tool uses. So sorry for the improper image.

Priapist posted:

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people. They still have the 5/5 set that was the recent WHQL 8.612 driver combined with the older Catalyst Control Center 9.4. The other set dated 5/15 is the same driver with CCC 9.5. Their web people have been having major brain farts lately and there's no reason for the 5/5 set to still be listed since the new set incorporates a newer control panel and is unified with Vista.

You should maybe try "reading the drat page" - and stop being a cock.

Thanks

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

osigas posted:

I got all angry with ClearType being fuzzy when I first installed 7 but then I realised it was because I had my monitor at the wrong refresh rate :doh:

Speaking of this, my monitor always resets itself to 59 hertz. How can I fix this so it stays at 60?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know what could be causing this? I am trying to delete this folder that I can obviously see but Win 7 thinks its not there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Stuntman Mike posted:

To salvage some of my dignity I think I can answer this one. Sometimes I find that win7 won't show you that it deleted a file or folder right away. Refresh the window and it should disappear.

No luck there its still there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone having issues with Win 7 and Teamviewer? I am able to make a connection to my clients Mac, but I am not getting a desktop to pop up. This is my first time using the software also so I might be doing something wrong.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there an alternative to Logitech setpoint? I would like the ability to bind my other buttons but the Win 7 version of setpoint isnt out yet. I know I can use the Vista one, but I don't want to chance it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Chance what? The Vista version works perfectly fine.

The logitech page said they were considered beta, but I guess ill try them out

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a reason my display always gets defaulted to 59 hertz?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198032

Here's a huge thread on it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/1792-59hz.html

I'll save you the trouble of reading it, you won't notice a difference, and I dare you to prove it.

It doesn't matter I am irrational, and I want 60 hertz default. :colbert:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know how to disable driver signing? I want to run Ati tray tools.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Footboy posted:

The win741 deal sounds so good there must be a catch. Am I right in understanding that I can upgrade my Windows XP Home 32-bit machine to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for $30? That is, assuming there's no reason not to get Professional.

Also, since I didn't see it in the OP: how many installs does a single 7 license allow?

The catch is you need a .edu email address

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Official microsoft ISO -> USB tool

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How can I convert a 80gb drive to FAT32? I need to use it with my PS3.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zorilla posted:

If the Disk Management MMC won't let you choose FAT32, try checking out diskpart, which has come with Windows since Vista. It's pretty much the tool recommended when the GUI tools refuse to do what you want to do. I've needed it for things like reformatting a former HFS drive or for preparing bootable flash drives. Its usage isn't very intuitive, so you may need to look up a step-by-step guide to do what you want to do. The list of commands will probably look like this:

code:
list disk
select disk <# of your disk>
list partition
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick
exit

Thats what I needed, thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone have a working usb mouse rate poll changer for WIn 7 x64? Googling was unhelpful.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can someone repost those microsoft links for the ISOs again? My google fu is weak today.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

4 Day Weekend posted:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

edit: Apparently the site is a little dodgy, you might want to use a download manager.

Also, what are the differences between english/french/other copies? Would you be able to install Win 7 in english with a different language disc?

Thanks. Is fishmech still hosting his copies anyone know?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can someone recommend a good RSS desktop gadget? I use google reader so tying into that would be nice.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone have any issues with mass tagging mp3 files with Picard in Win 7? I tagged a bunch and now the Zune software doesn't recognize any of the files correctly.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

fishmech posted:

Additionally, make sure the version is set to 2.3 for the id3v2 tags, and the encoding to utf-16.
This worked :cheers:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Weird issue here, anyone know how to get rid of the space between the windows?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

GreenNight posted:

No but you should do your windows updates and fix your MSE.

MSE is fine I just disabled the realtime protection :banjo:

e: I rebooted and it works

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 1, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is it possible to wake up a computer over wifi? I have a revo 1600 running Win 7 and I would like to use WOL if possible.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

K-lite has 64 bit codecs if people are looking for them still

http://codecguide.com/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

beer_war posted:

I'm planning to buy an entirely new machine and I'm wondering what the easiest, most painless way to migrate my existing Win7 installation (including all installed programs / games and their settings) to the new machine would be?

Clone the hard drive. Otherwise Easy transfer will grab most stuff, but iirc not programs. Use gamesave manager for game saves.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Windows now makes my icons 3 wide, and its cutting them off and irritating me. Any idea on a fix?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good dual pane explorer replacement? xplorer2 is kind of pissing me off lately.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I'm about to do a reinstall of 7 Ultimate, and I just have a question about codec packs - I've been using Community Combined Codec Pack, but is there a better one I should be using? I know VLC is good, but I prefer Media Player Classic.

You don't need a codec pack, MPC HC will work fine most likely.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So if I am going to be traveling at the end of the month for a couple weeks, is subsonic video streaming the best thing I can do? I have a WHS 2011 box that will be on.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there any wipe utilities that run properly from a thumb drive? Both the new dban always crashes when I start the wipe, and I can't get the old version to install on this flash drive.

e: found Parted magic which works really well

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 5, 2011

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arrath posted:

Is there a program that gives me more fine grained control of the sound outputs?

Not all programs let me configure exactly what output they use, and I'd like to split them up in certain ways. Currently I have game sounds come from the desktop speakers, and voicechat from the headphones. I'd like to have my music go out a 3rd output.

I really, really want a program like this but I don't think it exists. I think the best you can hope for is the application you are using can set the output itself. If I am wrong someone please post a solution.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I would dban it for sure, and then either reinstall or give the person an install disc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That or Windows Live Photo is pretty good. I use it over Picasa since it can use network locations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are some good recently updated file managers? My xplorer2 license has expired, I tried Cubicexplorer and it's pretty nice but there are some niggling UI issues. Free is preferred.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

c0burn posted:

I love xyplorer, not free though.

Thanks, didn't you use xplorer2 before? I'll look into it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

My firm is only just now moving from 2003 to 2007. Why they couldn't move straight to 2010, I'll never know.

This happened to me too, must be bulk purchasing discounts or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are people using to handle remote desktop connections for work? I only need about 10 recent connections or so.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

etcetera08 posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the best way to use a Windows 7 box as a home server? Just to serve up music, back up docs, whatever?

You can either just use samba shares, or set up a homegroup if you want. If you haven't bought 7 you could also buy Windows Home Server 2011 for $50 or so, and that has a nice GUI where you can set up folders and users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

etcetera08 posted:

Mmm, I guess I should be more specific. I have a Windows 7 box that I don't use for much right now -- mostly just to play music to my stereo and for other miscellaneous stuff when I require Windows -- but it just occurred to me today that I could use it as a local server. However, I'd want to connect to it with OS X (and other *nix boxes if possible). It looks like setting up a workgroup (like so) might work, but I'm open to other better ideas.

I feel dumb for having never thought of this before now since I have the infrastructure.

Try to just connect up to the Windows 7 machines SAmba shares.