Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

Enable ClearType for RDP

I could have swore that was one of the new features of Vista...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

weaaddar posted:

Is there a way to clear the jump lists for explorer and ie8?

Right click on item, "Remove from this list" ? Works for Explorer, at least.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

weaaddar posted:

That's really not the best way. Its annoying as IE8 jumplist populate even when in stealth mode will still populate.

Anyway, I found if your trying to clear all the pron you viewed [or other embarrassing things] you can right click on your start menu and unselect the option that says keep pinned items jumplists. Hit apply, then reselect it. Now no one will know!

Funny, I have yet to see anything I've loaded under InPrivate mode appear in the jumplists. Of course, maybe all the navigations caused by Steam's browser overwrote that poo poo. Hmm...

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Sir Nigel posted:

He got too little RAM for even XP

While I mostly agree with the rest of your post, this part is bullshit. 128MB is sufficient for XP, and 256MB is even better. I ran XP with 1GB for several years, and then installed Vista on the same machine and used it for over a year. The only problem I had was that the install partition was too cramped, so I had to disable certain useless updates like the dictionary update that adds "Friendster" to the system dictionary.

Oh, and this:

Sir Nigel posted:

he probably is using a 3 year old hard drive
Yeah, I was using a 3 year old hard drive with Vista in 2007, because it was new in 2004. Seagate, scored 4. or 5.something on the Windows Experience Index, where the CPU was the bottleneck. (S754 Athlon 64 3200+) Just because the drive is a few years old doesn't mean it's a piece of crap.

Of course, what do I know, I never tried to run WoW on that machine.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Sir Nigel posted:

short stroked

I sort of thought you were a ricer from your previous posts, but this pegs it.

And while I do disagree about 2GB being enough for XP, I guess there's no point, since 4GB is so cheap now. But then, why run XP if you've got memory to blow? Plus, either way, you have to run 64-bit to make full use of that memory. May as well buy only 3GB if you're sticking with 32-bit.

Oh, and not to be outdone, here is a HD Tune benchmark graph. I guess my lack of rice is showing.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 19, 2009

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

HeyImSam posted:

I hate to ask this, as I'm sure it has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I really couldn't find it...

Will Win7 RC be upgradeable to release? If not, why not?

It may be possible with some install file manipulation, although probably against the EULA. Oh, and you'll need to buy an Ultimate Upgrade key, because you can't in-place upgrade Ultimate to anything less.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

soupy posted:

Well.. How can I do it correctly?

Also: The reader seems to work half the time on in browser PDFs, but then the other time a blank error message pops up and nothing loads.

I think he's suggesting that running every program as administrator is going about things the wrong way, but that's just me.

Also, no problems getting browser PDFs to work under Windows 7 with Firefox using Foxit Reader. Woohoo.

Edit: Bah, I missed the whole next page after this post.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

No. 9 posted:

Well, 32-bit Firefox is loving up. :colbert:

It's messing up on viewing Facebook photos and is laggy as hell on sites that worked fine in Vista 32.

As suggested, try nuking your profile. (Or rename the profile directory so you have a backup.)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

wca posted:

Does anyone know why I can't get my mic to work and why it says "Currently unavailable"?

Creative doesn't support using more than one recording device at the same time. Not even with the X-Fi. You must select another device and click "Set Default" to enable it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

mfaley posted:

This is exactly how I did it. Except I formatted the partition with the MBR - whoops. Yes, listen to this guy.

More likely formatted the partition that contained the boot loader. The MBR is not actually in any of the partitions.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Black Pants posted:

And what's he gonna do with that if he's just going to be gaming and dicking around on the internet?

Speaking of dicking around on the Internet, I have IIS 7.5 open to the greater Internet, and that wouldn't be possible with a Home edition. Of course, I suppose I could just settle for Apache. Especially since I'd mostly be using PHP through FastCGI, rather than ASP.NET.

Oh yeah, and I totally forgot about XP Mode. That would make at least one license for XP to my name.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

strwrsxprt posted:

Is Safari still the only browser that does this properly? If so that's sort of funny.

If Firefox ever does that poo poo, I hope it's optional. I do not want 15 preview windows opening every time I hover over the icon in the taskbar.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Kleptomaniac posted:

Hey, does anyone have any idea why Win7 shows the little "safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar for the Daemon-tools virtual drive? I don't think it did that in Vista.

Not showing here with 4.30.4 (with SPTD 1.58 lol) under Windows 7 RC. The only annoyance I have is that Windows pops up a compatibility notice every time the notification area application launches on system startup. I'm not planning on buying or stealing the Professional version just to get rid of this minor nuisance.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

There is another key in HKEY_USERS with the same path.

Same key. HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just a shortcut for your key under HKEY_USERS.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Parachute Underwear posted:

I can't wait till installers start adding a "Pin to Taskbar" option under "Create shortcut on Desktop/Start Menu".

I think they intentionally left out a programmatic way of doing that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Uh, yeah, someone I know on IRC was complaining about the lack of the partition free space indicator in the Explorer status bar, but then, he's one of those weirdos with less than 5% free on all of his partitions and is always worried about having enough space to drag some files from one partition to another.

Oh yeah, and he also complained about the lack of proper network notification area icon blinkenlights, a feature I've learned to live without, ever since Vista turned it into a useless *blink* *blink* instead of an actual traffic indicator.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

mobn posted:

Because it doesn't play HD content very well without an outside codec.

That certainly isn't the case if you have proper (read: Nvidia) video hardware for DXVA support.

If, on the other hand, you're cursed with old and/or crap video hardware, then CoreAVC is probably the best alternative.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Slopehead posted:

Exactly what I am talking about. Very frustrating.

Open jumplist, right click on item, select "Remove from this list."

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Does anyone have a working usb mouse rate poll changer for WIn 7 x64? Googling was unhelpful.

Doesn't this also depend on the mouse itself? My Logitech G5 (original orange version with back but no forward button) measures 500Hz without any drivers or software installed.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I was using Digsby up until the 13th, when I switched to BitlBee instead. I don't mind the lack of features, since it goes well with my always-on IRC client. (The slightly limited Quassel, the core of which I have running on a dedicated server.) I find it much better that incoming messages go to my IRC client, where they may beep through my sound card, unlike Digsby, which wasn't limited to merely beeping, but also tended to steal focus from full screen games. Of course, BitlBee doesn't support file transfers yet, but then, neither does my IRC client. I wonder which one will support transfers first?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Even if it does, XP mode nay be able to run it anyway - 32 bit XPM on Win7 64-bit ultimate runs my old CanoScan Lide 20 scanner.

I believe that only works for USB devices. Don't count on being able to map internal hardware into a VM like that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I get my GFX card to always use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 1.1?

Is it an Nvidia card, and is your motherboard based on a X38, X48, or maybe X58 chipset? This may be your problem, and I recall it has something to do with a BIOS or driver issue that may or may not be intentional. I'm not sure if this exact topic has a fix, since it was started a year ago. I can ask a friend who had a similar issue what the fix is if you don't find it in that topic. (I have a 9800 GTX+, and never had this issue because my motherboard is based on the P45 chipset.)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

On XP Compatibility mode in the OP, how true is the "you won't be running any games on this" statement? I just got a new laptop with 7 Home Premium 64-bit but a license for Ultimate is $20 through my university. I don't have anything terribly demanding (Morrowind is the newest game that I own a physical copy of, and GOG.com is working to make all their games 7-compatible). I guess what I'm wondering is what's more difficult- getting a older game to run in Win7, or getting an older game to run WELL in XP Mode?

Think of running games in XP Mode like running them over Remote Desktop, only without the bandwidth limitations. I'm not sure disabling the desktop integration mode that facilitates the display through local RDP is any better, since I don't know what sort of video hardware is simulated by the Virtual PC software.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
A fellow developer is/was working on a fix for all those old DirectDraw and such games to wrap their interfaces to modern Direct3D, but he ran into a hard drive crash and then recently lost his SubVersion repository. I'm not sure if he's still working on any such wrapper now, but I can ask.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Anyone know what this update's about?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902
It's popped up in Windows Update recently as an important update, which isn't automatically selected, and it says there's no going back once you install it - which makes me a little wary. Apparently it's been around since October too, it's only showed up in the past few days on my machines though

Sounds like a newer version of the Windows Installer or other such crap runtime, and that page does claim that it will be required for future service packs. Eh, can it really hurt?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Plus, uh, don't hard drives use a lot more current when they're spinning up than when they're running steadily at full speed? Thus, wouldn't spinning them all up simultaneously cause a larger sudden current load on the 12v rail? Just saying.

Then again, I have a pair of drives installed now, and I can't even hear them spinning up on startup, so I don't know whether it's happening simultaneously or not.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

skywalker6705 posted:

Windows Media Center x64 will only load x64 codecs. There aren't really any x64 codecs that will open and play mkvs at the moment.

Yes, yes there are. The DivX Plus Codec Pack supports MKV files using Media Foundation, and comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors in a single installer. Plus, it claims to support streaming MKV files to PS3 and XBox360 consoles using the stock Windows Media sharing service, but I haven't tested that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It may be tripping up the automatic compatibility function that tends to trigger on any executable with "install" or "patch" in the filename. The only way to prevent that is to add the requestedExecutionLevel to your application's manifest resource, set to "asInvoker". It's documented here. If you compile your application with any recent version of Visual Studio, it should produce a manifest containing that attribute by default. And, depending on the project settings, it should default to linking it into the resources section of your executable.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
This is rather interesting, considering I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI card, and I have never experienced these driver issues with Windows Vista or 7. Either I am lucky, or both of you are unlucky. Of course, I don't have multiple outputs enabled, only the bare card's front speaker output connected to my headphones, using an extension cable for easier access. I suppose I could buy the front bay add-on for the same easy access, but whatever.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I had worse driver issues with my previous card, a M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Their first 64-bit drivers were for XP 64-bit, and attempting to even install them on a Vista machine would result in an instant BSOD. Thankfully, they didn't manage to write out the driver service record to the registry on disk, or else I would have had to boot last known good configuration, or boot into safe mode and remove them.

And it wasn't M-Audio's fault, VIA's stock drivers for Envy24ht based hardware had the same problem.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Good luck with that. Those two port "Gigabyte" controllers are usually JMicron poo poo.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
VisiPics does a better job than Picasa at finding duplicates by similarity, if you have any recompressed or resized versions of the same image hanging around. Also, it's a lot smaller than Picasa. Although I don't think it will handle the tagging aspect. So just use it for weeding out the duplicates first.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My Windows 7 desktop has started doing this as of a few days ago, after an update or software installation or something. It can't be a driver update because I tried rolling back to my previous working NVidia drivers and the problem stayed. What's funny is also that my Intel HD Graphics powered Windows 7 laptop has been doing that for months now.

On the laptop, it may go away after connecting the HDMI port to my 46" LCD TV and using extend desktop mode. It always returns after a reboot, such as for the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers which were supposedly released April 13th, but first appeared on Intel's driver site two days ago, and still aren't autodetected by their Java powered crap as a new release.

On the desktop, it goes away while full screen games such as Borderlands are running, but returns the moment I quit the game.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 3, 2011

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

Same issue here, and someone else is having the problem here

It's driving me insane

Different issue. Mine is with the Alt-Tab task switcher, and the whole task switcher dialog Z-order sorting underneath of all the windows when Aero Peek kicks in.

Grouped window switching from the Taskbar is working just fine here.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
You can try stopping and restarting the Windows Audio service when it happens.

Another possible cause can be DPC latency, which you can measure with LatencyMon. Of course, it may not find anything helpful, other than which exact driver is driving the most latency in the system.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Stopping/starting Windows Audio service didn't do anything. Distortion continued just like before.

Aww, darn. That usually fixes the sound issues I have with the X-Fi in my desktop which sometimes manifest after waking from sleep mode. Then again, those aren't stutters caused by system activity, but an onset of buzzing which starts between half a second and two seconds into starting sound playback. On second thought, that issue is probably entirely Creative's fault.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

cmykjester posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but what is a good way to change FLAC music files into mp3, I downloaded a soundtrack in the wrong codec and need to change it to fit on my cell phone. Thanks for the help.

foobar2000 and a copy of LAME.exe will also work, and will also migrate over all the tags. Oh, hey, and it's also handy as a music player.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

quadratic posted:

I believe it's because MacOS uses UTC. Check out http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks#Use_Localtime_instead_of_Universal_for_RTC

Or you can tell Windows to keep the hardware clock in UTC.

Documenting directly here for future reference anyway:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation] “RealTimeIsUniversal”=dword:00000001

Or you can set it from an elevated command prompt using the reg.exe tool:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation /v RealTimeIsUniversal /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001

kode54 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 31, 2011

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

LooseChanj posted:

Does that work yet? I tried it a couple years ago and windows would forget that setting at least once a day.

It does seem to require at least Windows 7, or Windows Vista with Service Pack 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Fearian posted:

This seems like a too-simple question, but what's a good IRC client to use nowerdays?

If you have a dedicated server machine running regularly, the client/core version of Quassel is pretty good. If you can stand the lack of scripting/automation and DCC support, although both are being worked on.