Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Has anyone managed to get Age of Empires 2 to work properly on x64? most of the colours in the water are inverted, as well as some of the grass. I can't seem to find a fix that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

hobb posted:

Does anyone have problems with the flat panel scaling options with a nvidia graphics card? When I try to tic any of the other radio buttons listed, after I hit apply it always reverts back to use my displays built-in scaling.

I'm using the 185.85 drivers and a 7950 GX2.

Having the same issue on my 9600M GT. I've noticed that it reverts all of my settings after I hit the "yes keep these changes" button.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

General Hawk posted:

I've got a weird bug that I've been trying to run down this weekend. It seems that my new 1 TB Western Digital hard drive will disconnect itself whenever Windows goes into sleep mode. At first I thought it was just because it was SATA, but you'd think that all SATA devices would disconnect if that were the problem. With 2 SATA HDDs and 2 SATA optical drives, only the WD shuts off when I wake the computer. Has any one else had a similar issue with 7? A quick google revealed only folks complaining about the power options shutting off idle drives, not what I am experiencing.

Of course, the band-aid fix is just to not put the computer in sleep mode. Other than that weird problem, this may be the most stable OS I've ever used.

I know my WD eSATA drive likes to randomly disconnect on me. I've been in the middle of doing stuff and it's just left.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Fallom posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I've played hours worth of Call of Duty 4 on Win 7 RC and Punkbuster hasn't complained.

Every time I try to play CoD4 it kicks me for various API functions.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Fallom posted:

Make sure you've downloaded the punkbuster updater through their website then. Literally all I had to do to get Cod 4 working on Windows 7 was install it from the disc and update PB.

I've updated it about 5 times now. It still kicks me constantly.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Are there any virtual drive programs that work with win7 that can emulate anchient (~11 years old) copy protection. Daemon Tools could do it if I enabled the safedisk/secuROM/whatever options, but that doesn't work. I just want to play Twinsen's Odyssey again :smith:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

NoArmedMan posted:

The safedisk etc part doesnt work or daemon tools doesn't work?

Daemon Tools works on Win 7 as of 1-2 months ago.
Whenever I try to install it I get stuck in an infinite loop of run setup, "setup needs to restart to continue", restart, setup, and so on. Am I doing something wrong?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

Are you using a pirated copy of Daemon Tools Advanced? If so its probably not the latest version and if its not the latest version then it won't work with 7.

Nope, just a fresh download of lite.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

I've switched over to the free version of Alcohol 52% from Daemon Tools and am enjoying it more.

Sir Nigel posted:

Try the trial of standard. I just installed it literally like 3 days ago.

Neither of these are working for me. It gets past the SPDT install, asks to restart, then repeats on startup. I've tried just installing SPDT, but it doesn't help either.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Isn't 5.9 the limit :confused:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

So incidentally, with me living in Canada and all, what are my options to inexpensively upgrade to 7 Pro/Ult?

Since the pre-order seems to be over with, I'd say look for an OEM copy. My local computer parts store has OEM copies of vista, and even has a neat little deal where they'll throw in a free upgrade to 7 if you buy a computer with vista now.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Windows 7 has ruined me. I keep clicking the clock in XP trying to reach the desktop :saddowns:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Priam posted:

I just noticed that when you raise/lower volume the volume icon changes :aaaaa:

:ssh: That's been there since vista.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

illamint posted:

Quick question: I'm home from school for 3 weeks and have a little bit of downtime. I didn't bring my Xbox with me and I want to play some video games I've got around like Battlefield 2, CS:S, etc. Would I be better off throwing a copy of XP Pro on here? I've also got access to a copy of Windows 7 RC (MSDNAA doesn't yet have the RTM copy available).

Windows 7 runs games perfectly fine. I haven't tried xp on my laptop, but I know it's noticeably faster than vista.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Going from 7 --> vista has made me notice that 7 runs a lot better. That or right after I went back to vista my computer decided to poo poo itself (which would not surprise me)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

E: I found some dude running 7 on this-
Dell GX1:

P-III 600MHz
768MB ECC RAM
40GB HD
ATI Rage Pro Graphics (AGP x2)

P-II 266MHz
96MB RAM (the one in the article is 128, but he tried it later with 96 and it worked)
and some 4MB graphics card.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Dominoes posted:

I use my start menu in Vista to access all my programs. I use the Games menu to run games, the frequently-used programs list that takes up most of the start menu to access my common programs, and the pinned list above it for a few that aren't frequent use, but I like easy access to. (I never go into program files because it's a mess.) Does the dock replace this?

I found that the dock took the place of the quick launch bar and the common programs list in the start menu plus whatever other crap I always run. I kept using the games menu, though (but since most of my games are on steam I never really use it that much anyway)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I think you can use 32 bid keys on 64 bit and vice versa.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

EvilMuppet posted:

Does anyone have the drivers for a wireless Xbox controller(For Win7 64bit)? The official page seems to be broken. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming&type=Gaming&sku=JR9-00001

When I plugged in the dongle it installed them automatically for me. It might be in windows update.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah, but why would you use VPC 2007 in Windows 7?

Because the new Virtual PC doesn't work if you don't have a processor/motherboard that supports it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

fishmech posted:

Not true, go download the new version. That restriction was removed a good 2 months ago.

:confused:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I downloaded it today, and I can't find an update anywhere.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Right now, my D drive is in the primary hard drive spot, and my C drive is in the secondary one. I want to format my D drive, as it has my old windows install on it. Do I just need to swap them, and let whatever's on the install disk figure out how to set everything up, then format it?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

AquaVita posted:

I don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally, but I did quote the replay gain wiki on the last page which said:
[/b]

Got any suggestions as to what that means?

And the mp3gain site says that you can run the program, and then transfer the files to the mp3 player of your choice (including non replay gain supported players) and still have the louder track which to me pretty obviously means it has altered the actual sound file itself.

It either messes with a tag for how much the volume should be adjusted, or it changes it in the file itself, and then saves it. It's only non-reversible if it's amplified so loud that there's clipping.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Have you tried messing with the resolution for the TV? the monitor may have been set at a resolution that the TV can't display, so after they switched ports it's getting the wrong signal.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Helios127 posted:

Quick question.

Upgrading PC. Should I install 32 or 64 bit? My computer is capable of both.

Unless you're running less than 3 GB of RAM (you shouldn't) go with x64.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I updated through Windows Update and haven't had any issues yet.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I used that method and it worked. I had to call MS to activate windows, but I think that was because we already used this key (a week before the motherboard blew on that computer :shepface:)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Anytime Upgrade has an option to enter a key, so that should work. If not, any Win7 pro upgrade disc you can download should work. IIRC Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo where you get the disc or disc image from as long as you activate it legitimately.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

If you mouse over icons on the taskbar it shows the boundaries for where you can click. Same with the buttons on the explorer menu. I'm not fond of the lack of title on explorer windows because I tend to end up with a trillion open and I'd like to be able to tell what's what easily but I don't see how it can be hard to figure out where you can drag :confused:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

The removal of Hot Dog Stand as a colour scheme was the greatest crime ever done to the windows UI.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

E: Holy poo poo, this is actually painful to look at.

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. My eyes are searing but I love it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I've noticed that when I put my computer to sleep it doesn't prompt for a password when it wakes up. It's sitting in a pretty public place and I'd like to have it lock when it goes to sleep, but not need a password coming back from a screensaver, since I always put it to sleep whenever I leave the room. How can I get it to do this (on win7 home premium)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Download Windows Defender Offline and burn it to a CD or stick it on a USB drive, then boot to it and see if it catches anything. I had a pretty nasty virus that stopped windows update from working and this was the first step for me getting rid of it

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

IT Guy posted:

What the gently caress is with the new trend to not include installation media with Windows computers?

It's new? None of the computers my family has bought in the last ~10 years have come with windows discs of any kind.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

For some reason windows (7) keeps saying my performance is low and kicks me out of aero. Is there a way to see what is causing this and stop it from happening? it's REALLY annoying.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

For a start are any of your processes showing undue usage of your CPU or RAM?

Nope, it's running more or less how it always is.

aaaand as I post this explorer crashed. I think I should probably do a virus scan.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

You either have a malware infection or your video card is defective.

MSE caught a couple java exploits, so I'm hoping it's them. I really wish I didn't need that piece of poo poo :sigh:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Grawl posted:

Manycam is a good application, if you get rid of the watermark (by buying it). Then again, if it's just for cam2cam with your relatives, who gives a poo poo.

You can turn off the watermark in the free version, it's under Effects -> Text over video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Medullah posted:

I swear I asked this, but I can't find it. Google does a bunch of results, but figured I'd get goon opinion. Thinking of doing a reformat and reinstall on one of my computers as it's been repurposed as a HTPC and has a ton of unnecessary crap on it. However, my Windows 7 disc is a launch copy. Is there a way to copy the Windows updates that have been installed on this machine and cache them after I reformat so I can not have to download a gazillion gigs of updates again?

You can download a more up to date ISO and use your key on that, although you'll still have a few updates to download.