Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Messadiah posted:

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FW230J) which came with Vista 64, in one of the Sony utilities I could specify it to only charge to 50% and then stop to preserve battery life since I have it plugged in a majority of the time.

The setting continued into 7 64bit but I can find no way to adjust it. Installing the Sony utilites led to a battery error which told me to remove and replace the battery and I never did. I'm just wondering if there is a way built into Windows 7 where I can adjust this battery preservation setting without using the Sony utils?

While I can't help you with your question, I'm wondering if that actually works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

m2pt5 posted:

Except for the fact that it will require an activated install to be on the hard drive before it will install.

How do you know? Vista didn't do that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

m2pt5 posted:

Emphasis mine.

Very well then. Looks like I won't be buying any upgrade copies for any reason.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fishmech posted:

But that practically is all there is. Home Premium and Business/Pro are all the average person sees or uses. Noone sells Starter in the US, Home Basic practically only shows up on low-end computers that can't handle anything better, and Ultimate is basically the same thing as Plus! used to be, only incorporated into the OS instead of being a separate product. THe most versions of Windows you can reasonably expect to see on a shelf somewhere is 4: Home BAsic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. And I think it's pretty obvious which is which, not to mention that most every store that sells windows has little booklets from Microsoft at the OS section that explain what the versions are, like they have for Office.

And there's two versions of OS X, OS X and OS X Server.

OS X Server is not available to the general public at Best Buy. It's incredibly stupid and inconvenient to have so many different versions of Windows, they really should narrow it down to 2-3.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sir Nigel posted:

What is his setup like?

Sounds like he's talking about a unibody Macbook Pro, he needs to make sure his friend has the latest nVidia drivers or else it'll run like poo poo. That's what happened to me and now it runs great in Win 7.

Edit: For reference, this is what his WEI should look like if it is an MBP.

Click here for the full 839x197 image.

1997 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 15, 2009

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sir Nigel posted:

Somehow I don't think so. He's probably got some system off of some prebuilt site that has two 9800GTs or something.

Well Hamelin named Apple and I assumed he meant for a Macbook, but I forgot he was talking about iTunes as well.

Also I'm not wondering why that guy was using XP on a new machine with dual graphics cards. Why didn't he have Vista?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Piano posted:

I might be slow/stupid, but bear with me. I was setting up a 3rd party dock today and I was like "oh, why not just pin every-god-drat-thing to the taskbar" and have the same basic functionality? Is that the whole intention of the pin function and I just completely missed it or is there a downside to having like 30 programs on there?

That's pretty much it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fishmech posted:

I didn't say 8 threads IS 8 cores, I said 8 threads count as 8 cores for licensing purposes. I never thought an i7 had 8 physical cores.

Turnign off the swap file is a retard's decision, done by retards and at best reduces disk writes by 1%. You will never see actual performance increases and you will never extend the life of your hard drive or anything. All disabling a swap file does is make your computer less stable.

I think he might be trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Fists Up posted:

I'm having trouble installing Windows 7 on my laptop.

I make it boot from the DVD and it says loading windows files, then it shows the little flag loading and then I just get a blank screen with a mouse cursor. Nothing happens after this. Its not frozen because I can move the mouse but I've waited over an hour and nothing happens.

Could it have something to do with Vista being hosed on my laptop (won't boot). If so how do I format my laptop? I hit F8 on startup and then I get a list of options such as Repair your computer (doesn't work) and a bunch of others...

I don't have a recovery disc as it never came with one. I remember being able to restore to factory settings before.

It's a toshiba A200

Another thing to try is to disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS if it's enabled. Some Toshiba's are lame about it while doing certain things outside of a regular Windows install.