Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

A tip for those buying off of the microsoft site: When it asks for your zip code put in the zip code of a state with no sales tax like Delaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

In theory, I should be able to do that despite being in Australia, yeh? Or does anyone know if this deal will be coming to Australia anyway?

I was referring to the downloaded version as well so unless they are filtering IPs which I very much doubt you should be golden.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

dorkimoe posted:

Came here to ask this. :( sad day

Lucky for you it is 100% Not the case.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

read the paragraph on the bottom right of the page:

# Running Windows Vista?
# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
# Running Earlier Versions?
# If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

If they "allowed" it why would any buy anything BUT the upgrade?

Never overestimate the general populace.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Every once and awhile winamp seems to spike to 25% cpu usage on my quad core. I can't pin down what is causing it but I need to close it and sometimes restart my PC to fix the problem. This never happened with the same version of winamp on xp. I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing anything similiar.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EC posted:

So switching to VGA got the install to complete, but it still hard reboots if the DVI connection is present. Installing new drivers from Nvidia now (wow 100mb drivers awesome).

I vaguely remember hearing about Nvidia problems during the initial Vista release, is this another version of that? Or should I direct my nerd-rage at Microsoft? :)

Nvidia drivers are working just swimmingly for me.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Hamelin posted:

I convinced my roommate to install Windows 7 on his computer and despite all his bragging about how amazing his setup is with his two video cards and poo poo (and how much he paid for it), mine scores better on every single rating in the Windows Experience Index. He is now threatening to downgrade back to XP because apparently he can't both run WoW and iTunes at the same time without the game freezing completely.

Plainly it is all Microsoft's fault that he scores worse than me and his games crash, not his overpriced hardware, Blizzard, or Apple's fault. :rolleyes:

Are you using the experience index from vista? That gave much higher scores.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

He has a very old processor and not enough ram. Right now running just WoW firefox and winamp I'm using 3.2 gigs of ram and almost 50% of my q6600.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 16, 2009

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Perhaps if he reinstalled wow instead of copying the files over he hasn't set the graphics low enough. Some settings like the new shadow quality can cripple even a top end computer.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

What with a thread on this popping up every week I'm amazed there are people who still believe this tripe.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Hey guys how many times should I zero pass my hard drive to make sure it cannot be recovered?

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 24, 2009

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EDIT: ignore

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...and? To what degree do you think it actually affects the performance of your PC?

And are you using XP or Vista?
8 gigs of ram.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

And you defrag the swapfile routinely because...?

...The swapfile can become fragmented.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

xamphear posted:

RTM ISOs are probably :filez: so I'm not going to link to them, but ones matching the checksums Microsoft posted have leaked.
Why would microsoft release checksums for unavailable products?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

CheeToS posted:

Wow, Microsoft is going to include a browser ballot screen for Windows 7 E after all: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/24/microsoft-relents-to-european-commission-will-give-users-browse/

Well now I'm a bit jealous of the EU version.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EDIT: can't read

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet so I figured some people would like to know. The latest beta release of ultramon adds a very nice working windows 7 toolbar!

edit: and a working "move to other monitor" button.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2009

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Irish Bandit posted:

The same trick that worked for upgrading the beta to RC works for upgrading RC to RTM.

Mind elaborating?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Relambrien posted:

The only problem is that PunkBuster or whatever has issues with Windows 7 and refuses to run. I have absolutely no idea if this has been fixed, but I do know people have had problems because of it.

I know one of those DRM schemes gained compatibility in the last few weeks. Might have been GameGuard though.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

JoeCitizen posted:

It's brand new?

That makes it all the more likely.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Perhaps an obscure question but heres hoping someone knows the answer:

I preordered the windows 7 upgrade during the $50.00 Promotion and am still using build 7100. A friend of mine has a technet subscription. Is there a way that I can get a burned disk from him, keep it unactivated, then activate it once i get my key? If so, do I have to do an upgrade installation when I install?
The reason I want to do this now instead of waiting for the final release is that I just bought a new hard drive I would like to use it on if that clears things up.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm personally a fan of Avira free. Works fine on windows 7, doesn't bother you constantly when it updates and I haven't noticed any slowdown upon installing it.