Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Logostomp posted:

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.

This isn't actually a problem, though. Maybe if it had crashed while in-game it would be.

But as far as I can tell Steam games work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anybody know if you can set an idle power-off for individual hard disks? I threw in an old IDE drive and it's pretty noisy, so I'd like to keep that off until I need to use it while I let the SATA drives keep spinning.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mozzie posted:

I will give it a bit of credit for having a bit better program responsiveness, but the memory management is still terrible.

How's that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the consensus that UAC is something you shouldn't disable?

I dunno I think goons would be better off wasting their energy getting people to switch from XP rather than scaring them into leaving UAC on

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dogen posted:

2) I have an X-Fi gamer and it works fine, I'm using the beta drivers and I haven't tried out Alchemy, but in this day and age I think that EAX is falling by the wayside. I am hanging onto the card because it has a lower noise floor than my motherboard sound and I hate that drat buzzing noise. One thing that's mildly annoying is that I have to turn down the volume to like 20%, it's loud as hell and set to max by default.

I just bought one of these and was wondering what the best driver set is for it. I just used the Vista ones off of Creative's page. Does it make a big difference?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You Am I posted:

Pretty well. Punkbuster enabled games will not work online as Punkbuster will not work with Win 7 RC, and Punkbuster have no interest in fixing it until RTM

I don't know what you're talking about, I've played hours worth of Call of Duty 4 on Win 7 RC and Punkbuster hasn't complained.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Every time I try to play CoD4 it kicks me for various API functions.

Make sure you've downloaded the punkbuster updater through their website then. Literally all I had to do to get Cod 4 working on Windows 7 was install it from the disc and update PB.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I've updated it about 5 times now. It still kicks me constantly.

I don't know what to tell you then. Are you running 64bit? If there was simply an incompatibility with Windows 7 it would not work on my machine at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's like asking "Is it just me or does Adobe's Reader plugin freeze my browser for minutes at a time while it's loading a PDF?"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's a Steam issue not specific to Windows 7.

IIRC, the fix involves deleting a file. I forget which. Google search the exact error message (in quotes) and you will find the solution.

Deleting clientregistry.blob didn't fix this for me so I ended up just downloading the Steam installer and installing it in the old directory. Didn't delete any of my games or anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dogen posted:

On the note of taskbar icon performance, do all IM apps have the nice flashing notification like windows live messenger does? The way it works is slick enough to get me back to using some sort of actual AIM client instead of just gmail. If so, what's a non-lovely AIM client that people are using these days?

Pidgin's icon glows when you get a message. It's probably the best client out there right now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fancy_Lad posted:

Sorry, replace legal with ethical.

Any way you cut it, you are still using software you are expected to pay for without actually paying for it. Do the trial period, fine, but if you have to extend beyond that please don't try to pretend that you are doing anything better than if you just pirated it.

Piracy is illegal, not just unethical. Keep your arguments consistent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

I want to upload some sound files to memrise, a language learning webpage. They recommend using audacity and an mp3 exporter plugin which I've looked at, but it seems a little complex.

What I'd like to do is read a list of words and then be able to split the recoding into the individual words and export them as MP3s.

Can anyone recommend some user friendly software?

There's nothing difficult or complex about what you want to do in Audacity. To do what you want to do, I clicked record, highlighted a word, hit Edit->Copy (or Ctrl-C), hit File->New and pasted it in to the blank track. Then you can just go to File->Export and save it as an MP3.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the best password manager suite for Windows, iOS and Android that syncs with Dropbox? I've been using 1Password for three years, but between them forcing me to shell out $15 to keep Dropbox sync on iOS and the Android port that's been vaporware for years I'm fed up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hooah posted:

I don't now about iOS, but I've been using KeePass 2 and the Android app for at least a year now, and don't have any problems with it. It's a little awkward to use from my phone, since if I change a password from my computer (don't think you via phone), I have to make sure I open the database from Dropbox on my phone so that the app knows there's a new version. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

I've used KeePass in the past, and its implementation on iOS was pretty rough. It has been a while since I've done it, though, so I'll give it a shot. Right now I'm giving LastPass a try, which seems fairly functional on every OS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fiskiggy posted:

The start menu. Of course 99% of the time you only want to hit Start and start typing, which works great until it doesn't for no discernible reason. Afaik there's no fix for the Settings/Control panel Frankenstein but I think people just got used to it since you might not recognize how absurdly shoddy it looks and feels unless you've used another OS lately.

So you're also mad about the parts that haven't changed since 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way I can see USB connects/disconnects in a log somewhere? I'm getting "device unplugged/plugged" noises at fairly random times that I don't think I'll catch by just keeping device manager open.

Edit: The way to do it is maybe to set up Event Viewer to show me "Hardware Events" occurring within the last hour? Nope

Edit 2: Aha! http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 8, 2022