Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7? Just open up a command prompt and type in "netsh wlan show drivers". You'll get a blob of text that looks kinda like this:

code:
C:\>netsh wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection 2

Driver                    : Gigabyte WPKG PCI WLAN Card
    Vendor                    : Gigabyte Technology Corp.
    Provider                  : Ralink Technology, Inc.
    Date                      : 6/1/2006
    Version                   : 3.2.0.0
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\oem41.inf
    Files                     : 1 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\RT2500.sys
    Type                      : Legacy Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11g 802.11b
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : No
    Hosted network supported  : No <- look at this line down here
If the drivers for your card have that feature, you can turn your PC into an access point, which can be useful for extending your wireless range or providing internet access for devices that don't want to get involved with ad-hoc networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

This doesn't work for me, though, because my drivers don't support Hosted Networks. The only things I've found that do support it are for laptops.