Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
You guys do know that just about anyone can activate any copy of windows via phone, right? It only takes about 10 minutes at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Lord Commissar posted:

It's not UAC, I can turn them off, but frankly they don't bother me. The problems I had were that some programs needed to be run as admin, and even though my account was an admin account, it didn't work. Even if I used "Run as Administrator".

It was a while ago so I don't remember specifics, unfortunately, but I remember it being an issue for me.

So you're asking us if Windows 7 still has problems, the details of which you don't quite remember.

Ummm... no?

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Kleptomaniac posted:

So it's quick launch.

It's basically quick launch combined with the taskbar.

Lord Commissar posted:

I just don't remember which specific programs had the problem. I think Steam had an issue at one point, but it may have been patched by now. The Gasmask had the same problem with Blackberry software.

It seems like an access problem, and 'Run as Administrator' doesn't fix it.

Well, Steam works great now. I've only had a few problems and most of those have to do with the x64 version's insistence on signed drivers.

Crysis 64 has to be run in vista compatibility mode.
ATITool doesn't work without disabling driver signatures. I imagine that most hardware modification utilites will need this too.
XBCD for my homebrew xbox adapter doesn't work without disabling driver signatures.

Tequila25 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 8, 2009

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

The Gasmask posted:

I'm actually having a similar problem. The Blackberry Desktop Manager has a function that needs to be run as Admin to work. Thing is, if I run the program as admin, it can't find my Blackberry. It's not critical, but it is frustrating. I'm sure there's some command you can add to the shortcut to get it working right, I just don't know what.

E:^^^ Pin to Taskbar is a great feature. It brings Windows more in line with OSX, and setting it as icon only is great. That and Aero Peek have streamlined the taskbar, making it quite user friendly. ^^^

What version of the Blackberry Desktop Manager are you using?

Xenomorph posted:

It's the Microsoft Dock. Just call it the Dock. It works like the Apple Dock.

I know, but not everyone has used a Mac recently, so I was trying to think of a more PC-centric explanation. Plus, I didn't want to say outright that Microsoft is ripping off more features from the Mac.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

I Dig Gardening posted:

I think Windows 7 64 just bricked my brand new computer..

Bought a new PC that had vista on it, immediately upgraded to 7/64. Has NEVER been connected to the internet, I ONLY use it to produce/write music. Some of my software has acted a little funky/random crashes, but nothing huge and it's been fine.

About 5 hours ago I shut down the computer for a routine restart. When I started it back up, I got nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left. That's it, out of nowhere.

Is this after the bios checks? I'm guessing that because apparently you can still boot to CDs. You're not "bricked".

quote:

Googling a bit I found that it might be a BIOS problem. Specifically because the BIOS on my motherboard had an issue that was solved with the latest release of it that was titled something along the lines of "computer hangups when using Sony SDHC 4gb memory cards". I just got a 4GB flash card three days ago but everythings been fine with it, and it isn't Sony and it isn't HC, it's pretty old. And I'd imagine that would mean crashes and such, but this? I dunno.

I can't upgrade the BIOS anyhow, because the loving thing only comes as an .exe and I have no way of accessing it without my OS. I tried Windows 7 as a boot disk but the .exe said my computer wasn't compatible for the upgrade! Even though the BIOS was MADE for my computer.

Edit: Well, just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (32-Bit) over my old version and nothing changed. Thinking of installing a BIOS for a different motherboard just to give it a go. My motherboard is an MSI MS-7548, a motherboard MSI only made for HP and the BIOS is not listed on their site. Thinking of trying the MSI K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S motherboard BIOS on mine because that one seems to be the closest specs to mine, if not exact? Not sure on that as I'm only semi-good with these things. I'm about ready to punch some drywall at the moment though, as I need to get back to work ASAP and this poo poo is killing me.

Please don't do that unless you're willing to go out and buy a new motherboard if it fails.

If you get the flashing cursor after the bios screens, then it is most likely a problem finding the master boot record. The first thing to check is the order of the boot devices. Sometimes when you have a flash drive in there the bios will put it for in the boot order, leaving your with the flashing cursor. Disconnect all flash drives and memory cards, and if you have more than one hard drive, disconnect all the boot drive. Then try booting again.

Still failing? Boot to the Win7 CD, go into recovery mode and run bootrec. Details are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

MrChupon posted:

Is there any downside to doing a upgrade versus a full install in terms of disk space and general cruft?

Yes, upgrade installs generally suck. Half your software will need to be reinstalled anyway, and you'll have all sorts of weird performance issues.

The past 15 years have taught me to never ever do an upgrade install. Suck it up, backup your files and do a clean install every time. Think of it a good practice for recovering from a hard drive failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Essobie posted:

Not really since... you know, the idea of a "keyboard shortcut" is that you use the keyboard to use the shortcut. If I wanted to make it easy to open something with the mouse, I'd just leave it on the desktop to double click on... or re-enable the quicklaunch bar and put shortcuts there.

It seems moving the folder shortcut to the start menu disables the shortcut key, but it works again if you delete the existing Shortcut Key, hit Apply, then set it again.