Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So once Win7 is released, is Ultimate going to have any deal-breaking features other than VHD booting and MUI, that will not be available in Professional?

Marketing list of features for Ultimate that aren't included in Home Premium:
  • Domain Join enables simple and secure server networking.
  • Encrypting File System protects data with advanced network backup.
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.
  • BitLocker protects data on removable devices.
  • DirectAccess links users to corporate resources from the road without a virtual private network (VPN).
  • BranchCache makes if faster to open files and Web pages from a branch office.
  • AppLocker easily restricts unauthorized software and enables greater security.

LoKout fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Disgustipated posted:

He must be talking about Home Premium, because XP Mode is included with Professional.

Oops I was talking about Home Premium. Professional will not be marketed to home users. You'll only be seeing Home Premium and Ultimate.

Pro adds the following over Home Premium:
  • Domain Join enables simple and secure server networking.
  • Encrypting File System protects data with advanced network backup.
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

I didn't notice this. So what the hell do you get with Ultimate? Texas Hold'em 2: Hold'em Harder?

It's basically just e-penis rights for the software pirates. Or small business users that don't have a Volume License agreement.

Microsoft posted:

Ultimate gives users everything Windows 7 has to offer by combining all of the features of Home Premium and Enterprise (without a VL agreement).

Ability to use multiple languages

I still stick by my information that I am pulling directly from Microsoft's partner marketing - Home Premium will be marketed the most to consumers, followed by Ultimate. Hell they have an entire site dedicated to marketing information for Ultimate, there's no way they aren't trying to sell it. The only information I found to the contrary was for OEM system builders. They emphasize selling Home Premium or Professional dependent on what the customer needs.

This is pretty awesome:

Microsoft posted:

Customers of standard PCs (who might otherwise choose Mac) will choose Home Premium because…

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

kapinga posted:

Stuff...

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but my source is directly from Microsoft's partner marketing website. I realize they're trying to push Home Premium as the primary version for home users, which makes sense, but they aren't going to be offering Pro for home users at all. They expect them to go with either Premium or Ultimate. I don't care what the "blogs" say. Pro will be the suggested and highly marketed version for the corporate user.

This marketing campaign will be much more like the XP days, when they tried to push Home for consumers and Pro for corporations. That ended up not going over very well because Home was crippled pretty bad in a few places and people became comfortable with Pro. In this case, they didn't remove that many features from Premium.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I'm up and running.

This is trippy. I have no idea where anything is or how it works. Is there a "classic" version of the start button setup? How do I change my computer name? Beyond that I just need like an overview tutorial video to show me how to use this whole thing since everything seems so alien. I want to try and make sure I get as much out of all the new features as I can.

Anything like that out there?

EDIT: Anyone know off hand what this theme is?

For tutorials try here. That theme looks like firefox maybe with a persona and the Glasser extension. The start menu isn't that different from the default XP menu. If you were using the classic menu I can understand the confusion, but as mentioned before, just click start (or your Windows key) and start typing what you want. The search is pretty intelligent and will find Control Panel stuff, documents, and programs in the start menu by default.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm using a dual monitor setup. Right now, Trillian (and other) popup messages appear on the bottom corner of my primary monitor, which is a problem when I'm running something fullscreen. Is there some way to change one or the other to default to display on my second monitor?

I think Trillian can change where the popups display. If not, it should :colbert:. You could always set the primary to be the other monitor and then move the taskbar to the secondary monitor. Not sure if that would launch games on the secondary monitor, but you could probably get that working somehow too.

For the search issue - did you happen to clear your search index? You reset them, but did you delete and recreate them? I ran into this before too, but I can't recall what fixed it. I'll do some looking.

Edit: Found the article I used to fix my search issue: Technet forum. No need to edit the registry though, the setting is under the customize start menu option where it says "Search other files and libraries".

LoKout fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 28, 2010

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

What is the next step?

Check disk? You can run it from safe mode. It also could be a driver or software problem, though you disabled startup programs.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

vanbags posted:

...they only offer an Upgrade. The problem is I'm wanting to put Windows 7 on a newly built computer, not my laptop which is running XP.

You've got a couple of options. First and easiest is to install without entering a product key at all. Once that is complete, install again and choose upgrade to use your upgrade key. This will essentially be a fresh install (upgrade installs in Windows 7 aren't like XP days). Your second option is to install without entering a product key, and then edit something in the registry to make it think it's an upgrade, then use your key and you're set. The second option will be faster. For details check here.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Never Odd or Even posted:

This has probably already been answered, but this thread is massive, so:

I'm putting together a computer pretty soon, and I'm looking to buy Windows 7. I'm currently a student, and so I checked out Microsoft's discount after being told about it by a friend. However, the only option they appear to give me is the Professional Upgrade for $30. Plus, they're only selling it as a download. Would it be better for me to venture out and find a vista key and then get the download or just go buy the full version somewhere?

You can install the full version from an upgrade copy pretty easily. Google it.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

LastCaress posted:

Would it be a good idea to convert 3 2tb hard drives to dynamic disks and then make a spanned volume so it appears as a single drive in windows? I don't care about redundancy (I will back up everything with mozy) or performance, but I fear I have to delete all the data? Is there any way to do this without deleting the data? Thanks.

If everything fits on one drive right now you can expand that volume to the other drives. At least you should be able to, I haven't created a 6tb volume before, so YMMV.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

WillieWestwood posted:

Or it means you can reactivate a genuine install three times before you have to wipe the hard disk clean and reinstall Windows, but I haven't reached that point, meself.

You were right with the first thought. Windows Vista/7 will let you enter a new key as many times as you want, whether or not the old key is invalid. You get three chances to activate once the key is in, and then it goes into limited use mode for a week or two (two hours per run, certain features are disabled). After that stage you have to activate to even logon.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

OEM vs. Upgrade version - if you're buying it retail it doesn't matter. Get the cheaper one.

The PCIe question - under the advanced power options there's some PCIe power management settings. Turn those off or to low and it should fix your problem.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Donkey Kunt posted:

The first line says that the OS needs to be optimized for multiple processors (not cores). My question is what versions of Windows 7 is optimized for Hyper Threading?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Read the rest of the article where it mentions that Windows 2000 was not optimized for hyper-threading. All iterations after that have been fine. As for applications, anything recent (last five years) typically works fine. If you notice some abhorrent performance you may want to turn it off, but typically more cores is better for overall system performance.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

internet inc posted:

I'm building a computer for my little brothers and one of them doesn't understand that you can't install whatever you like from fishy websites, so having two different Windows installs seems like the most logical thing to do, unless you have something else to suggest?

Give him a limited account and turn on parental controls. You can prevent installation of almost everything through local security policies as well. Harden the security by ensuring DEP and other security settings are on and you should be ok.

This would probably be easier to deal with than a second copy of Windows, because if he really needs something you can login as an admin account or install it on your profile and you don't have to install it twice or make sure he reboots into the correct copy of Windows.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Landerig posted:

Nah, there's gotta be a way I can tweak it. (I wonder if there's something like a TweakUI for Win 7?)

Ideally I would like to make the tiny preview window just a little bigger and shrink the border around it to 1 pixel wide.

I dunno what the search box has to do with what I want to do, but no, I rarely do any searches on my own computer because I have most everything laid out where I know where it is and can get to it with a few mouse clicks.

(Edit: I did find something called Ultimate Windows Tweaker Didn't have what I wanted, but has a lot of other neat stuff.)

Google was pretty quick to the rescue - http://windows7themes.net/windows-7-taskbar-preview-size.html

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

SP1 is likely to be posted on MSDN or TechNet before anywhere else (officially), and it's not either of those places. I've been looking for it for the last week.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Run a full scan a few times and it should clean up most everything.

In other news, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 was given a release date today - Announcement.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

c0burn posted:

I think something shows up in the Disk Cleanup tool

It does - you have to click the "clean up system files" option after it's scanned. I was amazed to find 250mb of pending error reports on my drive. Weird.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Is there a quicker way to manipulate NTFS ACLs than going through the dialog boxes? Having to open 10 windows to remove an old user and change the owner is fairly painful when you have to do it dozens of times.

http://helgeklein.com/ - SetACL works pretty well. Microsoft also has a command line tool that can be scripted.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'm a big proselytizer of this program and did not know that it could do that.

Also I just installed Secunia PSI yesterday and it found an update to Irfanview. :swoon:

It also noticed that Chrome was outdated (hadn't closed the window in a few days) but after I reset it it still says it's running 9.0... when it clearly isn't.

e: nevermind, it just detected 9.x in my appdata folder. I guess Chrome doesn't clean up after itself?

I've found that Chrome doesn't usually clean up the previous update till you reboot or it installs a second update.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

You don't have to use WMC to share with the Xbox on Windows 7. Click Start Orb and search for "Media Streaming" (the actual option is buried under the Network and Sharing Center somewhere). From there you can share stuff that WMP has in it's library, just like on XP. You'll have to authorize your 360 when it's online.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

So how do I tell my 360 where to find the files? I'm still new to 7 and this whole "libraries" thing has me a little confused.

Edit: By that I mean I can't find any place to say "hey, this loving folder, right here, let my Xbox access it"

Add it to your library in Windows Media Player. By default it uses the Videos and Public Videos directories, so if you've got it there it should work. I have noticed significant delays sometimes when adding media - you may have to restart the sharing service if that happens (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - found in services.msc).

Hopefully that works better than WMC, since there's less overhead.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

" posted:

-[ate_Sandwich"]
I came back from vacation, installed a shitload of updates (including SP1) and when I restarted both BIOS and Windows fails to recognize my SSD.

What the hell? I've changed IDE slots, disabled all the other drives, unplugged everything and it still doesn't recognize the drive. I'm totally baffled.

Check the SSD thread - this happens to SSD drives sometimes. Your drive "locked" because it didn't like something or could be dead. The two solutions are: wait for a few days with it powered on the whole time and see if it comes back, or RMA it for a replacement.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

2gb is memory is very likely causing the slowdowns on your search. 3gb will help, and 4 would be a major improvement. Depending on where you're trying to search it may not be in the default search index locations. You can tweak that, or just add the whole drive. The latter will make some large index files, though, so be wary of the blanket approach. Search for "Indexing Options" to tweak the settings/add locations.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

"Everything" is a totally different search style than Windows Search. "Everything" uses NTFS journaling to track files and folders, which is also part of Windows Indexing, so they should have similar results and speed. As mentioned before, Windows Search works better the more you use it - on my work and home PC I use it all the time and results are near-instant and accurate. Files come up first because I use them most often from search (a learned behavior) and programs are ordered by how often I use them. It can be a bit slower when searching the whole drive because it isn't indexed, but I like being able to search emails and the contents of files.

If Windows Search is sucking or not finding things, the index is probably corrupt. Rebuilding it is available in the Indexing Options I mentioned before. It'll take a few minutes.

If "Everything" works for you, by all means use it. I've tried it before and I didn't like it. I was too used to Windows Search finding programs and file contents that I was looking for instead of just file/folder names.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

When you link Digsby to your account, like many linked apps, it requests that permission. I think it's mostly Facebook's fault for not being able to change permissions right there, but Digsby's behavior is not unlink many other utilities that link to Facebook. Change it in Facebook's application settings and live in peace.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Shark 007 is the hot new codec pack in town. Very simple and works well for everything.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

It is required but only on your system drive. Take a screenshot of disk manager and post it if you want to make sure you've got everything correct. You can expand partitions on the fly in Windows 7 so you can clean up anything that might be amiss.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Veinless posted:

Anyone know of a util like AllSnap that works reliably in Windows 7 64bit? I have used it in XP successfully to make windows snap together, but it doesn't seem to work in W7.

DisplayFusion has this option in the Pro version. Not quite as lightweight as AllSnap but the other features can be useful. The Pro version is on sale this week too, 30% off ($17 or so).

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Try browsing to the server (\\diskstation or whatever) and see if there's a "Printers and Faxes" folder. If there is, you should be able to rename it in there. If there isn't, you'll have to somehow do it directly on the device, or increase your permissions on the share.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

As stated, they don't do VLKs anymore. They were replaced with MAKs. If you have more than 25 workstations, you can use a KMS, which is a shitton more convenient.

It's true that MAKs aren't quite as convenient, but the number of activations possible on an individual MAK is dependant on your licensing agreement. I've seen as many as 500 copies activated with a single MAK without calling Microsoft, and if you reach your limit but still have licenses available it's a simple phone call to increase your activation count.

I've never had to deploy a KMS. It seems like it almost fell through the cracks after Vista flopped. Server 2008 R2 doesn't require it anymore - there's now a VLK version that works just like 2003 did.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

There's no reason to hold off activating. If it's going to work you'll know pretty quick. After you reboot with the new board with SATA drivers installed, you'll probably need to install sound/lan and perhaps reboot a few more times.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Also if it wasn't hardware accelerated before, that would help things out a bit. It'd be more significant on Windows 7, but any offloading of the CPU helps.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Does anyone know of the syntax to link people back to old appdata folder in GP?

I got a new domain controller up same domain name, username. But it makes a new appdata folder. I tried telling Group Policy to go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData, do I need to make it %localmachine%\Users\%username%\AppData ?

Not sure if this will help but %appdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\roaming (which you probably know) and %localappdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\local (which you might be looking for).

Alternately, you could use %userprofile%\appdata, but AppData is just a junction that contains the local and roaming references. You don't want to put anything in the root of AppData.

A comment on the remote session apps - mRemote was great and all, but if you want to check out an alternative (that's still maintained by the original author) try visionapp Remote Desktop. It's got a few more features and is more robust than mRemote ever was. The quirks you were describing are gone as well. It has the added feature of being able to store all connections on a SQL server (embedded/free or otherwise) so you can share connections and logons with other users.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

There's a ton of options to do that.

Using built in tools, the Mac can connect with a Windows PC over Samba (Windows native network sharing). You could setup shares on both systems and use some sort of syncing software (like Sync Center/Sync Toy on Windows) to mirror stuff from one system to the other. In this case one would be the master and the other a clone.

You could use a cloud based system like Dropbox. This might be limiting because of the storage space, but upgrading to higher space isn't too bad. Dropbox now detects if clients are on the same lan and will sync using local connections instead of over the internet.

Since you like the Mac so much, iTunes is also an option. So long as they are on the same network you can share music, vidoes, and photos through it. Once iCloud goes live you will be able to sync that stuff to the Apple cloud and it'll be available when the computers are on the internet (with some limitations).

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

You can buy a home edition of Office that's cheaper. It doesn't come with some of the programs, though, so make sure it has what you need. Split the cost with family/friends, or have it available for install on up to 3 computers.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Cloning programs will indicate if the drive has partitions. The new one should not, and the old one should, so that's a good way to figure out which is which.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Thanks. We ended up uninstalling everything Norton, but now it's even more screwed up. It won't read CDs, (when I try to force it to with the run command, it says there's nothing in the drive, and when I try to use the command prompt screen to switch to the CD, it says device not ready). There's nothing in the device manager and it can't read flashdrives or any USB devices. Any clue what's going on or is the computer just dead now? I can't even transfer microsoft fixes from this computer to her computer now.

You should probably take this to the tech support subforum. Sounds like something in the hardware is dying or the software is really jacked up.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

The product ID under system settings is not your license key. If you purchased the OEM license directly and it didn't come with your PC you'll be fine. If it came bundled you likely won't be able to reuse it if you replace the parts. MS licensing support may approve it, but I wouldn't count on it. Technically speaking it won't be legal since it's already been activated on one set of hardware, even if you don't plan on using the old hardware again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Morganus_Starr posted:

Here's what I want to do: Have users on my domain have a shortcut to their Home folder under the Favorites section in the navigation pane in Explorer. C:\Users\username\links is the path that contains those shortcut .lnk files and that Windows references.

Using VBscript or PowerShell should be pretty easy to take that variable and create the link on the fly. Here's some assistance on making a link in vbscript : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244677