Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mozzie posted:

but the memory management is still terrible.

What makes you say this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WillieWestwood posted:

Unless you're using a CRT monitor, refresh rate is irrelevant.

My brother can't use 1680x1050 when the refresh rate inevitably resets it's back to 59Hz on his LCD.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

I'm currently running windows vista ultimate(for the handwriting recognition) on my tablet netbook. I there a compelling reson to switch to windows 7?

Everything I've heard is that Win7 runs better on low-spec machines.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonobos posted:

How is gaming on 7 compared to Vista?

Fine. One game I can't get to run is Mirror's Edge...but it seems half of the internet can't get that game to run, regardless of OS. Recently I've played TF2, Crysis, several PopCap games, Riddick (the old one and the new one).

Bonobos posted:

Also, will I have to install any additional drivers? I had to install a boatload of drivers last time I installed Vista. I assume I should just use Vista drivers in that particular case?

I don't know as I don't have that particular PC. However, I've seen most people reporting they have to install less drivers than they did on Vista. However, if you need to install a driver, the Vista versions usually work fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Warthog posted:

Ugh, All in one gestures doesn't work in Firefox 3.5 - I'm going crazy without mouse gestures!

Yes it does. Disable extension compatibility checking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

A pretty cool Gmail notifier just for Win7 with jump lists and stuff.

One stolen screenshot to tempt you:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

There is something above 7100, as evidenced by the post 2 down from yours.

There isn't a 7700, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

My UAC is completely off

Prepare for a shitstorm from your fellow SHSC'ers to the effect that you shouldn't turn off UAC.

(I will agree with these shitstormers)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

All you people talking about "elevating privileges" and all this UAC discussion about having it on yet not getting any prompts is confusing the hell out of me. Is there a general guide out there to keep UAC on but not get any prompts? Do you have to do it folder by folder and tick "Run this program as an administrator" on the program's .exe?

For WinRAR, I have it ticked, get prompted every time I open an RAR file, but then I can extract it wherever the hell I want, but with other programs like Paint, "Run this program as an administrator" is greyed out. :confused:

I didn't realize how important UAC was, because I had it disabled in Vista. Now I have it at the default level in Win7, and I would like to learn all this file permission stuff so I can keep it on.

Not getting any prompts would really defeat the main purpose of UAC.

I think a lot of people have problems with UAC prompting for them where it doesn't for others is because they turn it off, and then later turn it on after they've installed stuff.

Pretty much the only time I get UAC prompts is when I want to write to Program Files. I'd agree with the earlier statement about a couple of UAC prompts a day and I run all sorts of poo poo on my system. I run multiple games through steam every day. I use Ventrillo extensively. I do lots of development in various programming languages. Basically, I'm a heavy user of all sorts of software, and I constantly try out beta software. I've got an addiction to trying out all the stuff they mention on Lifehacker.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Orange Juilius posted:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21653/Microsoft_Won_t_Fix_Windows_7_s_UAC

Short version: Move the UAC slider to the highest setting and use a standard user account if you want anything to be remotely secure.

The Guru Russinovish posted:

Elevations and Malware Security
The primary goal of UAC is to enable more users to run with standard user rights. However, one of UAC's technologies looks and smells like a security feature: the consent prompt. Many people believed that the fact that software has to ask the user to grant it administrative rights means that they can prevent malware from gaining administrative rights. Besides the visual implication that a prompt is a gateway to administrative rights for just the operation it describes, the switch to a different desktop for the elevation dialog and the use of the Windows Integrity Mechanism, including User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI), seem to reinforce that belief.
As we've stated since before the launch of Windows Vista, the primary purpose of elevation is not security, though, it's convenience: if users had to switch accounts to perform administrative operations, either by logging into or Fast User Switching to an administrative account, most users would switch once and not switch back. There would be no progress changing the environment that application developers design for. So what are the secure desktop and Windows Integrity Mechanism for?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fishmech posted:

I don't see how it is, it's pretty much what it's there for.

If that's what it was there for, then you wouldn't have to create a new email address every 60 days...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Casao posted:

Is there a way, via command line, to disable/enable a network adapter? After waking from hibernate (possibly sleep too), my 1000HE can't detect a cable being plugged in until I disable/enable it. Apparently, people have the issue in XP too, so I'm guessing it's not 7 related. I figure it'd be a fairly quick thing to add something to do this on wake up to my ever growing list of task manager tasks. Can I do this?

Kameleon posted:

Does Devcon work in 7?

Yes.

I use devcon to disable/enable the touchscreen on my tablet. I wrote a blog post about how to do it years ago for Vista, and I'm still using it on 7. You'll have to figure out which network adapter it is...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

I'm pretty sure they may have a hard time trying to figure how much I've cost the company by reducing their bandwidth costs, but it bothers me that I have the warning on my record now at Charter.

Apparently, not being able to figure out an exact cost means the fine is 1.92 million.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Teenagers posted:

There is literally no way that Win7 should be slower than Vista.

Right, that's what they're telling you. Something was broken, as just about everyone finds Win7 to be faster than Vista and XP on just about all hardware.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

There's an important point in here, and that is that people have no idea what building software is like. It's not "obviously complex" at all. There is zero concept of programming, UI testing, QA, etc etc etc that goes on in professional products like Windows. To them, they're just buying a DVD. Big deal, you can burn DVDs at home. At least with a car or a house, there's some notion of assembly than everyone can grasp, but there's literally none of that understanding for software.

As an developer whose family is mostly tech-illiterate, the above facts are quite frustrating. It's as if I do nothing at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CitrusFrog posted:

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

Except you don't know what else is dependent upon some oddball component in one of those and your computer will break and you'll be all like: "what's going on with my pc, dudes?"

This has been discussed to death on SHSC...consensus is leave services alone. You're not getting any noticeable performance increase above the placebo effect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Death of Rats posted:

Since I'm likely to need two of these, I was wondering if any more news had come out about the "family" edition of Windows 7? Especially as I can probably convince someone in my house to buy one of the liscences off me.

From here:

Gizmodo posted:

Prices for the Windows 7 Family Pack have apparently leaked, according to ZDNet, and the multi-user bundle will net you three copies of Windows 7 for $137. Also revealed were prices for the Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade products.

These prices aren't 100 percent confirmed, and no one knows certain when these products will ship. But the speculation is that upgrading from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium will cost $82, while upgrading from Home Premium to Professional or Ultimate will cost $91 or $138, respectively.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there a way to make windows always be running one of two process'? Whenever I'm not running TF2, I want to be running another small exe, and as soon as I launch TF2, I need the other process to die. I tend to forget to turn it on after I'm done playing TF2, and it's all about having it run as long as possible. I was thinking windows could just see if hl2.exe is on, and if isn't, launch another exe. As soon as hl2.exe starts, it kills the other process. This way, one of the two is always on.

Does this make sense? Is it possible?

I do exactly this with a custom AutoIt script. Out of my head, so I'm sure there's some errors, but something like this:
code:
While True
	; Team Fortress 2 just started
	If WinExists("Team Fortress 2") Then
		ProcessClose("SOME_PROCESS")
	EndIf
	;Team Fortress 2 just stopped
	If Not WinExists("Team Fortress 2") And Not WinExists("SOME_PROCESS") Then
		Run("SOME_PROCESS")
	EndIf
	Sleep(5000)
Wend

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thats great! Whats AutoIt, and how do I make it work? also, the process is "hl2.exe" and "steamstats.exe" Would that be:

http://tinyurl.com/be8ds2

Just dig in to the help file...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jeeves posted:

RTM comes out monday.

So I am curious, with the Release To Manufacturers version being released-- how will the betas and such work? Do they expire once the full Win7 public release occurs, or such? Also, folks that download the RTM-- will they work until the release as well, using the beta keys?

Betas already stopped working awhile ago. Well they work, but they reset every 2 hours.

The Original Post posted:

GENERAL INSTALLATION QUESTIONS

Q: When does the Release Candidate expire?

A: In a surprisingly generous move, Windows 7 RC, once activated with a product key, will operate fully until March 1st, 2010. At this time, the OS will begin shutting itself down every two hours to encourage obtaining and installing the final released version. Finally, on June 1st 2010, the Release Candidate will expire.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Xachariah posted:

But that makes people hate Microsoft more. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Now people in Europe have to jump through a bunch of hoops to put a browser on their computer.

They wouldn't blame the EU for it, they'd just be pissed at Microsoft that their product needs hoop jumping to work. It's a terrible idea shipping an OS with no inbuilt way to download any browser at all.

It's horrible business sense to choose nothing instead of offering alternatives.

I like MS more for doing it.

It's also horrible business sense to promote competitors products.

It's quite as black and white as you seem to wish it was.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

The difference even between a 1 year old Sata II Western Digital Caviar SE 500GB 16mb drive and a newer Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB 32mb drive is huge.

I guess it depends on your definition of huge.

There's a difference, for sure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

I'll post the tests in a sec from my computer.

Was there something wrong with the benchmarks at my link?

I don't think most people care about what synthetic benchmarks show. What matters is how applications perform. Which the benchmarks provided demonstrate. I wouldn't call the differences "huge", but I guess some may.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

You don't think that a difference in sustained transfer speed of 35MB/s (more than a 50% increase over the Caviar SE drive) is a big difference?

Sure it is. All that I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter if it's not perceptible in OS and application usage and if it is perceptible, "huge" is in the eye of the beholder.

Sir Nigel posted:

But hey, you're right. An IDE hard drive isn't slower at all. Oh. Wait. It is. More than half as slow. Takes longer to access, can only sustain 45MB/s and can only burst 67MB/s. And that is compared to a triple platter drive.

Yes, that's what I said. I said it isn't slower at all. Good call! :bravo:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

weaaddar posted:

I think if I'm going to go to Windows 7 on my media center PC, I will probably have to go with 32bit if only because of the annoyance with the codec situation.

In the RC 64 bit I had the following issue that I could never figure out.
1. Switch media player to 64. Use command line thing and registry switch.
2. Try to play an Mp3 and open taskman, notice how WMPlayer has a * next to it :(.

I also couldn't get resampling of audio working in FFDShow in x64, and my crappy realtek integrated audio wouldn't send 44hz through SPDIF it would send garbage.

This wouldn't be so bad but the codec situation was a nightmare in that you needed both a 64 bit and a 32 bit codecs, sometimes Media Center would use FFDShow x64 audio, sometime x32 and my favorite is sometime it didn't use either and I would get no sound. WMPlayer would never used FFDshow video.
Also Arcsoft TMT3 seem to crash more on x64 using the media center plugin. [which also didn't downmix but thats a different issue...]

I've been using 64 bit Vista and now 64 bit Win7 for years and I've never installed a 64 bit codec or player.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

weaaddar posted:

I can find 64 bit codecs that's not the problem! Its the inconsistent usage of them. If you switch WMP to 64 bit it will randomly decide to run in 32 bit mode. It also may decide to play back certain things in 32 bit mode, and sometimes simultaneously. Having both FFDShow 32 and 64 bit installed can lead to really hosed up results like 2 FFDShow audio decoding something [and butchering my ears in the process]. The "best" you can hope for is that it will play video in 64 and audio in 32 and even that is sketchy at best. Plus in x64 using WMP in 32bit mode it doesn't resample my audio. In Vista 32 I never had this problem. My Media center PC can only support 2 gigs of ram and a 512 meg video card so I don't need the extra address space. I'm not even sure I will update it despite my company granting me a MSDN subscription.

Yes, I can use MPC-HC x64 and that works pretty well, but I like media center and the built-in codecs for windows 7 sometimes choke on files that FFDshow will play fine.

I don't think you understand. There's no reason to install 64 bit codecs. Don't do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

weaaddar posted:

Not quiet. its a WPF app in x64, but the playback engine is still WMP and so it can switch down to 32bit for some illogical reason.

And before you say don't install 64 bit codecs if you use MC you sort of need to or else [sometimes] it won't be able to split an MKV. At minimum you need a splitter for MKVs in 64bit and potentially other things if your need is there, like audio mixing.

I did not realize this. I just assumed WMC would not be a douchebag and work like every other video player on Windows. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Two: I know that indexing and desktop search stuff is the big thing nowadays, but it is frustrating as hell that there's isn't a Right Click > Search functionality that will let me filter by wildcards. All I wanted to do is find all instances of folder.jpg and delete them, but I couldn't figure out how to do it natively. Am I missing something obvious?

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but just open the root of wherever you want to search and type folder.jpg in to the search box. Then select all results and press Delete.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

That sounds like exactly what I want, except it doesn't find any results at all.

Hmm. It sounds like you have some weird issue, as I just double checked this functionality with different common filenames and filetypes and it works...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Is it supposed to search subfolders by default? I'm looking for any existence of folder.jpg in my \TV Shows\* folders, and trying to delete them.

Yes.

I just did a search for folder.jpg in my Music folder, which of course is chock full of subdirs, and it showed them all. Is your TV Shows folder an indexed location? If not, a little bar drops down from the top of the window and tells you...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Psimitry posted:

Anyone other than me absolutely hate the new taskbar? After doing a Google search and seeing people absolutely rave about it, I kinda feel like I am. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but it seems genuinely geared to those that keep 60,000 windows open at any given time. Myself, I always had an array of quicklaunch buttons on a two-row taskbar and then launched new windows whenever I needed a second one (I rarely use tabbed browsing, for example).

I think my buddy's wife will really dig on Win7, as she is one of the aforementioned types that likes to have 60,000 windows open. But it really bugs me that my only option for the taskbar is to either use the Win7 dock-style one, or turn off Aero completely and use an old XP taskbar.

Is there something I'm missing here?

What is it specifically that you don't like? You realize you can add a folder full of shortcuts as another toolbar on the taskbar, right? As far as I can tell this folder full of shortcuts operates exactly like the old quick launch bar. I.e. you click on an icon for notepad it opens notepad. Click icon again, another instance of notepad opens.

Why you'd want to do that, I don't know because the new taskbar is better than the old busted quicklaunch bar. :D

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 29, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also, with regards to the quick launch issue...instead of 30 programs on your task bar, try to accustom yourself to "WinKey+first couple letters from program name+Enter".

Many times this is faster and more convenient. Many of us already learned this most excellent behavior on Vista, but I realize many(most?) people are coming from XP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

My Windows 7 experience thus far has been less than enjoyable. I assumed my processor (2ghz Centrino Duo) was 64 bit compatible...it is not, I went ahead and downloaded it and burned it off, formatted my 32 bit Vista partition, and ran into that lovely little message saying my CPU was not compatible. That was last night.

Fast forward to this morning, I get the 32 bit version installed, I'm not really sure how I feel about the new taskbar just yet, but anyway, I'm having an issue with Windows Live Messenger. It refuses to stay signed in for any more than a couple of minutes, and seeing its one of my primary functions for this computer, its trying my patience ever so slightly. I've never had that issue for as long as I've been using MSN/WLM, has anyone else been having this issue with the Win7 RC?
I went through the Windows firewall and made sure it wasn't being blocked, but aside from that, I'm not sure what it could be....any help appreciated.

To narrow down this issue, try using a different MSN client like Digsby. Who knows, you may even like Digsby more than WLM (I know I do!).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lum posted:

Edit: ^^^ But the Aero Peek button is an all or nothing thing, everything goes away when you hover over it, so how does it help you find anything?

There's a difference between "peek" and "Aero Peek". It's stupid and confusing, but...Aero Peek is the hover in lower right thingy. Peek is hover over a window thumbnail and it comes to front whilst you hover.

Peek is quite useful for checking on the status of things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

suction posted:

what firewall for w7 do you guys recommend? i used comodo firewall but it hasn't been updated for 7 yet. windows default firewall sucks btw

Windows firewall.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kynetx posted:

I miss my quick-launch bar. I know I can "pin" poo poo, but the QL was better IMO.

As has been discussed recently, you can easily use the quicklaunch bar on Win7...

From this post forward.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 3, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pilsner posted:

CORRECT - hitting Win+R and then typing "inetmgr", "control" or "services.msc" is much, much faster than crawling with your mouse and right-clicking some icon in the start menu. You sound like someone who'd come off as an amateur to me. :)

Save yourself some extra keystrokes on Vista/7, mister! Skip the "R" and just hit Winkey. The Vista/7 search box pretty much replaces the Run dialog.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Can someone also explain to me why UAC is considered security at all when a PA account can dll inject into explorer and auto-elevate to gain administrative rights? The article claims that there's no point to doing so, because fixing your software to run and elevate itself properly are easier, but dll injection is loving childsplay and in the 101 class for system exploitation.

Security is only a secondary purpose of UAC. The main purpose is to force application developers to write applications that don't require an administrator account (which in the end increases security).

Mark Russinovich posted:

The primary goal of UAC is to enable more users to run with standard user rights. However, one of UAC's technologies looks and smells like a security feature: the consent prompt. Many people believed that the fact that software has to ask the user to grant it administrative rights means that they can prevent malware from gaining administrative rights. Besides the visual implication that a prompt is a gateway to administrative rights for just the operation it describes, the switch to a different desktop for the elevation dialog and the use of the Windows Integrity Mechanism, including User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI), seem to reinforce that belief.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mensur posted:

Thanks! Also as a suggestion for future versions, here's a regedit for ie8 so one doesn't have to hit "ask me later" every time one launches it. (too lazy to go through the wizard for the once a month I launch it)

This made me laugh. Too lazy to spend 30 seconds on the wizard, but you did go find the regkeys to "fix" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Full Circle posted:

I know one of those DRM schemes gained compatibility in the last few weeks. Might have been GameGuard though.

AFAIK, Punkbuster is anti-cheat, not DRM.