Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fishmech you need to smoke a blunt and chill the gently caress out. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I'm running a legal copy of Vista Ultimate Retail and I heard if I buy an upgrade for Vista, the upgrade will give you the same version as your Vista. So if you were upgrading Vista Home Premium you would get 7 Home Premium, Vista Business = 7 Professional, and Vista Ultimate = 7 Ultimate. So if I buy the 7 Pro upgrade from Win741.com, will it upgrade my Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate or will it only upgrade to 7 Professional?
Yeah I don't think this is true at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Kind of along those same lines, does anybody have aero peek working with tabs in Firefox yet?
Is Safari still the only browser that does this properly? If so that's sort of funny.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Black Tracky Dacks posted:

Just installed Win7 RC on the family computer
Why is anyone still installing the RC?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vanan posted:

I had some problems with some SecuRom drivers in Windows.old that kept me from deleting the directory, I ended up following this guide: http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administration/windowsold.aspx to delete it.
I had the same problem, so thanks for this!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Amazon failed to deliver it to me on release day, so they refunded my shipping (which was free anyway) and gave me a $10 gift certificate. I wasn't going to complain, because what's one more day of waiting to activate the RTM copy I've been running for 3 months? But hey, thanks for the $10 Amazon!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ashby posted:

installed 7, and it went fine. was concerned because I had heard some horror stories about bad reg. keys. happy so far with it
Good story, bro! :waycool:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Have you tried disabling the Windows firewall?
Make an exception for the program before you turn the whole drat thing off. :downs:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastCaress posted:

I have a legal windows 7 in my desktop and have purchased a windows 7 upgrade for my laptop from toshiba, but it's taking forever (they're mailing the cd) - can I use the key I'm using in my desktop in my laptop and then when the key arrives for the laptop update the key? (From a technical point of view, because I'd assume it isn't 100% legal, even though I don't think it's really wrong to do this)

EDIT : Nevermind my desktop is 64 bits and my laptop 32
Keys aren't 32-bit/64-bit exclusive. Just install without a key. Windows 7 will run for 120 days without one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastCaress posted:

Nice! Going to install it then, thanks!
Just to clarify how that 120 days works out: it'll run in a 30 day trial mode without a key, but you can reset it 3 times for a total of 120 days. When it gets down to 1 day left before you have to enter a key, just open up a Command Prompt in Administrator mode and run 'slmgr -rearm.'

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tzirean posted:

is there any reason not to go for Professional?
No.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I bought a new computer a month or so ago, and while I thought I'd be getting 64bit Windows 7 I was actually given 32. I only have 4gigs of ram so I'm not missing out on a lot of potential memory but I was wondering what the process would be if I ever wanted to upgrade to 64. I don't imagine it'd just install over the top but I'd love to be wrong to avoid all the installations and customisations etc I have done.
Nope, you can't do an upgrade install from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Senor P. posted:

So after installing Win7 and running into the problem of registering it.
Going to need more information on this part because it makes no sense. What kind of license? Where did you purchase it from? What is the exact error?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xanin posted:

Could these be linked? Any solutions? I've googled but can't find anything useful.
Your hard drive looks to be dropping off the bus or having some similar issue. What drive and what host?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Seriously. There are other ways to get installation images besides Microsoft's lovely downloader.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah we can't help you without system specs.

Edit: Are you loading your motherboard's SATA drivers? This is a textbook SATA driver issue.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 14, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is it the same system or a different one than it was first activated on?

If it's the same, no you shouldn't have to pay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah that sounds about right for CF/SLI setups.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Me Clumsy posted:

I have been using Windows 7 for about a month now and I was wondering if I should bother with ReadyBoost.
No.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Imapanda posted:

The game is Crysis. I did a little google search and it seems this guy on toms hardware had the same issue and that 'enabling directx 9' increased framerate by a lot. I remember back then when I had Windows XP the FPS was beyond comfortable, but ever since getting Windows 7 games have been really choppy.
He's probably referring to the fact that it'll default to DX10 if you have a DX10 card and Windows Vista/7. Performance will absolutely improve if you run it in DX9 mode as opposed to DX10, but not look as good. Go to the Games Explorer and right click the icon for Crysis to choose DX9 or DX10.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Requires a floppy disk. Or you can use nLite to slipstream the driver onto the disk.
WIndows 7 can use a USB drive, but I doubt that's his issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chrome is the first thing I install on all of my Windows 7 machines and have never run into a .NET issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Microsoft will usually transfer the license with a phone call. They're really only concerned that it's installed on one machine at a time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well they could always change their mind and start enforcing their EULA more aggressively, but I doubt they will.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

apekillape posted:

I think this goes here?

I'm trying to install several hundred new fonts from a pack I got recently, but I can't figure out any way to get them in except selecting all and right-click--> installing every file. Is there any way to get it to install the whole folder (including subfolders) at once?
Start -> type in "Fonts" -> drop them in the folder that magically appears?

I imagine that should work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ziir posted:

Is there a FAQ of features and things that I should turn off that aren't really needed? For example I just turned off hibernate to give myself back 4GB of space cause I don't really see when I'll ever need to hibernate.
"things that I should turn off that aren't really needed" is entirely subjective, though. Hibernation is useful for plenty of people.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hung Yuri posted:

Too much of a hassle to shut my computer down and wait 5-10 (tops) minutes for it to start up and everything to be loaded up.

Maybe if I set up a thing where I could make my computer restart when I'm not at home...Send a command to it and make it restart or something.
How lovely is your computer that it can take 10 minutes to boot into Windows 7? :psyduck:

I thought the days of pressing the power button and walking away to make coffee ended with Windows XP.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

AVG or Avast are the only free ones I'd recommend. AVG version 9 and Avast version 5 are great.
And MSE is the only one I recommend anymore because I've had the exact opposite experience. :)

It's got a minimal footprint, it updates itself without requiring babysitting, and the only time I've ever noticed it was when I plugged in a buddy's flash drive with a virus on it. That's about all I ask for from my antivirus.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Look up a performance review on http://www.storagereview.com/

If there is a big I/O difference then yes, but I can't give you an answer from that info because it varies based on rotational speed, platter density, and number of platters.
Even then, it's pretty safe to assume that just about any new 1TB drive will be faster than an ancient 320GB.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, the 32bit build of Win7 supports 16bit apps but the 64bit doesn't?
Correct. WoW64 can't run 16-bit applications, so that includes Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, as well as the 64-bit edition of Windows 7.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What are the cheapest+legal ways right now to get Win7? My school (UCLA) has it for something like $70.
I'm pretty sure that's the least expensive education price now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Win7 Pro upgrade $30
Sweet they dropped it again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ziir posted:

What? Can you tell me more about this deal? I'm a student and it seems like my university is the only university not part of academic alliance.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx

Come on man, first Google result for "windows 7 student"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rrail posted:

If I'm going to get rid of one computer (at least for now) and want to install my copy of Windows 7 on my new computer, do I have to do anything to get the license to be released from the now-no-longer-used computer?
You won't know until you try to activate on the new computer. If it throws an error, call the 1-800 number that it tells you to, spend 5 minutes on the phone, and you're done.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

That is a silly question. Hard drives are designed to be almost used constantly with tons of continuous reads and writes.
It was a stunning realization for me when I realized that the hard drive in my DVR has been continuously writing nonstop for the last 4 years.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can (64 bit) 7 be upgraded directly from XP?
No.

Just do the upgrade workaround trick that gets mentioned on every page of this thread. Install with no key, then do an upgrade install from that. Or do some registry hacking to get away with just a single installation.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Sorry, I guess this must've been asked somewhere, but does anyone know why they've removed the graph display on disk defragmenter in Windows 7? And can anyone recommend a decent freeware defragger which will give me a chart display similar to that which XP's defragger UI had? Cheers.
Who cares? I guess you can use Defraggler if you really want to see stuff move around, but who honestly watches a defrag?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LoKout posted:

SP1 is likely to be posted on MSDN or TechNet before anywhere else (officially), and it's not either of those places. I've been looking for it for the last week.
I just checked MSDN before catching up on this thread because I need to do a Windows 7 install and was hoping to grab an SP1 image. :mad:

I'll just wait to do the installation.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

SP1 had better fix remote assistance that has been broken since day one or I'm going to completely flip my poo poo.
I just want my drat MSDN image already. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is there a site where I can get direct downloads of Windows 7 updates in a nice little list or something? I'm getting poo poo speeds from microsoft through every single program I've tried that says it does this, when the downloads don't time out entirely.
Can you wait for SP1 in a couple of weeks? That's going to make keeping an archive of Windows 7 updates a lot easier.