Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Beyond a processor with VT and a video card that supports DX11, are there any other specific hardware needs than Win7 may need? Something like some special feature that is only enabled if you have X piece of hardware in your system? I'm getting to the point where I'm going to build an entirely new PC, and I'm curious if I should build one now, or if I should wait because some piece of hardware is coming out later that 7 could take advantage of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have any sites done a major breakdown in the differences between the various versions of 7? Everybody knows about the large differences between the versions, but sometimes the small stuff can be a deal maker/breaker as well.

I don't want another repeat of XP where they listed all the major changes between Home and Professional, and then a lot of Home users felt burned later when they didn't get access to minor, but extremely useful, functions like the group policy editor.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jam2 posted:

What's the recommended brand?

I'm preferential to Noctua NT-H1 compound. Arctic Silver is great too. Saying that though, some site did a test of several different compounds (HardOCP maybe?), and even the worst performing compound produced temperatures only a few degrees higher than the best performing compound. It's hard pick a "bad" thermal compound these days.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jam2 posted:

I was checking out this kit. Should I just buy some rubbing alcohol instead?

That kit will work better than alcohol, but of course you can probably buy the alcohol at your local pharmacy for a lot cheaper. Whichever you prefer would work fine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know if there is some way to have some sort of quick theme change menu added to the quick-launch taskbar or pinned to the regular area? I still find some games chug with aero enabled, so I'm always changing back and forth between aero and basic themes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

aneurysm posted:

there is a much better solution: under compatibility properties for the application, check "disable desktop composition"

Rockin'! Excellent tip man!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Windows Performance Evaluator means absolutely ZERO in real world computing. You might as well ask a hobo to pick a number between 0 and 7.9, and that'll give about as accurate an answer as Windows will give you.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yossarko posted:

The only thing that does not work, is that whenever I let me laptop sleep (or close the lid or whatever) and wake it up, the wifi is dead. Using the physical (touch) button for the wifi adaptor doesn't help at all. I have to go through the control panel into network adaptors and disable / enable the wireless card for it to work.

If you go into the Control Panel>Device Manager section, look for your wireless network card in there. The card itself may have options that put it to sleep when the lid is closed on your laptop. If it does, change it so that the card is never put in sleep mode or turned off entirely.

If that doesn't work, go into Control Panel>Power Options, and then go to Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings, and in there you'll find an option for the power saving mode of wireless adapters. Change that to Maximum Performance and that might stop the card going to sleep.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know why some programs force themselves to install in the Program Files(x86) folder? Even though I find it massively annoying that MS decided to fragment the Program Files folder into one for 64-bit apps and one for 32-bit, I understand why they did it.

Saying that, given the choice I like to install everything in the regular Program Files folder so I don't have stuff spread all over. Most stuff goes fine, but there are some programs where even if I specifically choose Program Files as the install location, they still get installed to Program Files(x86).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Interesting info. I wasn't aware of the WoW thing before, so I had assumed everything in the SYSWoW64 folder were the 64-bit versions of windows apps. Still, odd that you tell the a program to install in one spot and it basically says "gently caress you! I'm installing wherever the hell I want."

Another question. Is there a way that Windows can scan and fix the links to games in the Game Explorer window? It seems every time I install a patch, or hell, just at random, the links completely break and don't work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know if there is a file renamer that can take the file names of one set of files, and rename a second set of files using the names of the first?

So I would have one set of files:
charts.doc
graphs.doc
documents.doc
titles.doc
values.doc

And a second set:
projections.doc
dates.doc
times.doc
pron.doc
budgets.doc

And I would want the second set of files renamed so they would have the same names as the first set.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer on my own. The program ReNamer lets you import a list of filenames, and then apply them to another set to be renamed.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 29, 2013