Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nevermind -- going to attribute my issue to my school's email being pathetically slow. Waited on hold for a few hours and got my problem worked out.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the answer to the question I was asking a few pages ago "What is the install size of Windows 7 professional?" is 10.5 GB.

Initial thoughts on my install on an Asus 901 netbook:

Dislikes: Didn't offer to format my drive for the install. My netbook has a 4gb drive and a 16gb drive. The 4gb drive had XP on it, and the 16gb drive was about half full. I wanted to install Windows 7 on the 16gb drive. It let me know that there wasn't enough space, and it had no options to format the drive during the install. I had to delete enough things to free up the disk space, and then it just plopped the windows directory on there and called it a day. I had to go around and clean stuff up manually afterwards.

I had some driver problems that are probably not the fault of windows. It prompted me to update my chipset drivers, and after I did windows would just boot to a black screen. I had to flash the bios to fix this.

And the thing takes a full minute to shut down. Like.. literally one minute. Does anyone else have this problem?

There is an option to format if you are booting via DVD. After choosing "Install Now," pick Custom Install, select the appropriate drive, and click Options (I believe.)

Don't have any shut down slowdown to speak of; perhaps Windows is getting snagged on a particular piece of hardware or software? I did run into a whole feast of lag when installing the OS, which seems to be a problem rooted back into early-2009 beta testing days, but it's no big deal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Ok so I'm looking to buy Windows 7 to install on an iMac I ordered. It's just solely for playing the odd PC game and using Steam, is everything I hear about Windows 7 running stuff faster than Vista true? Or would I want Vista/XP to get games running best?

Apologies if that's a dumb question, I just remember when Vista came out and people were complaining about the performance drop from XP, so I just want to be sure before purchasing. I'm looking at buying Windows 7 Home Premium, does anyone know of any issues/problems when installing it on iMacs?

Games run amazingly well for me in win7 Professional. Coming from XP Home 64-bit with only a few months worth of bloat, I've been able to pump all settings to max in Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, whereas the previous install of XP would choke a bit. I've been extremely impressed with how fast and streamlined Windows 7 is thusfar.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This has been bugging the hell out of me, and I can't seem to find out how to fix it -- How do you make new programs/windows/software popups take focus when initially opened? For example, when a friend sends me a message on Steam (without having a chat window open prior to that.) I chat with a lot of friends via Steam, and have been missing messages from them because the window will just open underneath everything else opened on the desktop.