Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Hey, I'm using WinXP, but I'm looking to Dual-boot this RC. I have an SATA drive with my main XP installation on it, and an IDE drive, set to Slave mode, and broken into two partitions. One is my media, one is empty. Can I install and boot it off the empty slave partition, or do I have to add a partition to my SATA (Master?) drive for it to boot from?

I noticed quite a speed increase when I switched Windows 7 from an old SATA drive to a new one. In the performance Index, my HDD was the bottleneck scoring 3.1 points with the rest being at 5.9.

In short: Your HDD will be your system's bottleneck either way. Don't be mad at Windows 7 for that ;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Goddammit. The x64 Logitech G15 drivers do NOT install on Windows 7.

EDIT: Well, apparently they do if you run in the compatibility mode! Neato.

Hehe - I know that feeling of "ah gently caress it - I'll just try compatibility mode even though I don't believe it's going to work" from the first time I tried...

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Tarwedge posted:

It's doing it with heavy local network traffic aswell now, fucksakes. Time to start reinstalling drivers/the whole goddamn OS.

Is it only happening with network traffic? sounds a bit like: http://winhlp.com/node/10 if it doesn't... Sounds like something HDD related in any case.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Windows is loading stuff into memory and keeping it there so that your memory doesn't go unused. It's actually the way memory should be used, but we're used to wanting a large unused memory number.

That's right but try explaining that to somebody who thinks Vista or 7 were bad because "they use up all the ram"...

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
I don't want to derail the thread but:

Windows 7 is sometimes accessing my HDD for what seems like minutes when I'm not really doing anything - well reading stuff in Firefox 3.0.10 [edit]oh, read over the posts that said to get the 3.5 beta - I'll do that now in the hopes of it fixing everything.[/edit]

I don't want it to do that - my drive is loud and meh... I'd prefer it a lot if the poor thing wasn't in use all the time.

Is it swapping even though there's only about 2GB of ram in use?

Ugh, All in one gestures doesn't work in Firefox 3.5 - I'm going crazy without mouse gestures!

Warthog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
about the broken extensions:

Thermopyle posted:

Yes it does. Disable extension compatibility checking.

Thanks a lot, didn't know that existed

(for other people in need:)
open about :config
create a new boolean "extensions.checkCompatibility" (without the "s)
set its value to "false"

Dr. John posted:

Is anyone running this in a Thinkpad t61p? I can't figure out how to get the mute button working and I'm not sure which driver I need to install exactly.

I think all you need is here: IBM Win7 Beta stuff
Although I have to admit that I keep forgetting to enable that stuff on my x301 so I don't know if that works; the WWAN drivers work like a charm, though.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 27, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Hmm I'd like to have the task bar at the right side of my screen and the start button at the bottom - isn't that possible out of the box?

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

beejay posted:

Haha what. I think he's talking about taskbar on the right, start button at the bottom right instead of top right. You are thinking taskbar on the right, start button in lower left?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about - I'm using a widescreen monitor, vertical stuff is more economic than horizontal but I like the start button at the bottom left:

Click here for the full 222x1047 image (and excuse the crappy gimp-shop).

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
PowerISO should be in the main post - there's such a lot of crappy software around to mount images, it's scary!

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Hmm - I've got my 5.1 amp connected to my computer over SPDIF. When I run the Dolby Digital test in windows, my amp (which is set to decode the input signal automatically) shows "Dolby Digital" and the 5 speakers and subwoofer all work.

Playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 movie in MPC or VLC however or any game it doesn't. I'll just get left, right and SW there.

Sound: Onboard from my P5B Deluxe WiFi - it's a SoundMAX AD1988B (didn't work with the default Windows drivers and now it doesn't with the AD200B_6570_Win7 drivers)

Amp: Sony STR-DE485E

edit: to clarify - I don't know if it works at all - reading up, I've found a lot of people on random forums saying the chip didn't support dolby digital output... hooray for "deluxe" mainboards I guess...

Guess I must have misunderstood ASUS when they wrote:

quote:

S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via an coaxial S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jack. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 18, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Not having used Vista I think I missed a big change:
Is it true that EAX effects don't work since Vista because Microsoft did something that is good for security / stability but bad for ... sound effects in games?

Is there a fix to get that stuff working besides buying an X-Fi soundcard? (currently I'm using my P5B's onboard sound...)

My current problem is that I get perfect 5.1 sound out of my amp when I'm playing a movie but games only produce 2.1

Warthog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 7, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Ignited posted:

I'm still a poor college student but feel the need to put a legit version of win7 on my computers

google [your college] msdnaa (or use the MSDN Academic Alliance School Member Search- follow the instructions given you and enjoy a lot of Microsoft products they actually want you to have for free.

CitrusFrog posted:

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

I can't believe Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the SATA controller for your old ASUS mainboard... something definitely went wrong there.
... and since everybody already took a dump on your system without saying anything about the really old system HDD - consider it done.
That Windows Experience Index thingy might be useful to determine the worst bottle-necks in your system.

I'm using an "older" NVIDIA card as well and going back to the 182.50 drivers fixed a lot of stuff for me (at least in ARMA2)
SoundMAX drivers suck and are hit or miss - I'm using something called AD200B_6570_Win7 don't know if that works for your chip, though and I hope I'll never have to look for drivers on ASUS' site again (try the mainboard-specific forum - it's better than their official page).

Warthog fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

XP really won on only one game: ARMA II. Who gives a gently caress about that game anyway?

Consensus in the ARMA II community is that Windows 7 improves performance if you start the game with the right command line parameters.
However I still think using ARMA to benchmark something is about as good as using a random number generator and calling the result FPS.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Basically I'd like to change folder permissions and user rights on several hard drives to what they would be if that stuff was just created by my user account on Windows 7. :pt:

I've got old folders containing even older folders and old files. Some of them were created on a Windows 95 system, moved to 98, 98SE, XP, 7. Some of them I shared over my network, some I accessed via SMB from a virtual machine,...

Obviously, I never bothered to / wasn't able to un-share those folders every time it would have been appropriate. :bang:

Now I have a filesystem with millions of folders that have permissions for users that don't exist anymore and user rights that are completely hosed up.

Is there a way to just reset everything to some sort of default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

The easiest way, but also longest way, to do this would be to move all those folders out to either a FAT32 or exFAT drive (thus wiping all permissions) and copying it back to your drives with your user account to completely reset permissions.
Thanks for the input but :negative: ...hell I can't even think of a car analogy ;)

Factor Mystic posted:

Get the security correct on the topmost directory, then Properties -> Security, 'Advanced', 'Change Permissions', Check 'Replace all child object permissions...' and hit okay. Do this once per drive (NOT your OS drive). For example you can delete all the user accounts listed there except your current one (or the Users group) and that'll reset everything.
Thanks for that.

WorkingStiff posted:

Factor Mystic speaks the truth. You can also do it from the command line.

Type cmd in the search field. Right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
Type takeown /f drive letter. Hit enter.
Type icacls drive letter /grant yourusername:f. Hit enter.
Rinse and repeat.
Thank you, too - I tried it this way and found out that takeown needs the /r parameter and icacls /t (both there to make the actions work recursively)