Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Lum posted:

If you've pre-ordered and paid, is it still illegal, given that MS don't care where you get your media from, just the licence key.

I pre-ordered Windows 7 as well and I'm thinking it's perfectly reasonable to install the 'trial' until we get the real key.

I guess it depends how much faith we have in the re-arm trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

After about a week of getting Windows 7 RTM up and running, including a corrupted install and a maddening expedition for decent sound drivers, I quite enjoy it like everyone else.

But its leanness does surprise you sometimes.

Only six screensavers, for example? And just crude ones?

It's not a big thing, of course, but superficial things like it -- and, say, a short tutorial of the new taskbar for casual users -- go a long way. And the OS doesn't feel as polished as I expected because of it.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

While it's obviously easy to learn for us in this forum, I wouldn't underestimate others, especially people's relatives who are comfortable with old ways, to long for a quick included lesson, even for something as simple as no-your-programs-didn't-disappear tool-tips.

Curious, I looked at the "Getting Started" menu when you first load up Windows 7 and wondered why they didn't include something along these lines there.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Responding to a post a page or two back, I personally have only been able to get full, four-speaker sound with my Creative Audigy by turning on one of those horrible EAX ambiance presets in the Audio Console.

If you set one to about 70%, however, it's not too bad, and you can at least pretend Creative is somewhat on the ball with drivers for a major OS that's ready for release.

This is after plowing through all of the hacks/tricks on the official Creative forums as well, which never did much for my system.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

Doesn't work for me. Goddammit Creative i don't want to buy a X-Fi card!

Creative released new beta drivers this week.

http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nDriverType=11#type_11

Haven't tried them yet, but the response hasn't been especially great.

(I personally have been using Vista Creative Audigy drivers in compatibility mode to get fake EAK 4-speaker sound the last couple of weeks. Stuttery and a bit poo poo, but they do work.)

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista.

I didn't even know you could do this in either version.

I feel so naive and vulnerable.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'd say go bite a llama's rear end, but Winamp (which I use to this day out of some sort of twisted loyalty to the first mp3 player I knew) kinda isn't that great, and it sure ain't pretty.

I can't get away from Winamp because Windows Media Player and Zune don't have cross-fading for some unexplainable reason.

Unless someone knows something I don't.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

evale posted:

Don't know about Zune, but information on WMP crossfading:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/27/how-to-enable-equalizer-srs-wow-play-speed-dolby-digital-and-other-enhancements-in-wmp-12/

Right-click in 'Now Playing' mode and select 'Enhancements.'

How have I missed this for months?

Interested to see if the Zune software has also hidden cross-fading from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

iRoNgHosT posted:

Anyone else have problems after SP1 installed? My computer poo poo itself bad. It doesn't like my hardware I'm guessing. It seems people with EVGA video cards are having the same problem. Guess I'm gonna reinstall tomorrow and do manual updates as to avoid the SP1 install.

Only thing here is a new appearance of the "Test Mode" watermark, even though I've been running an unsigned driver for a few months now.

Trying this thing now.

http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2008/12/remove-watermark-v03-build-20081210.html

Edit: Worked. Watermark gone.

Fawkes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 24, 2011