Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

4 Day Weekend posted:

I couldn't get ATi Tool or RivaTuner to work thanks to the whole unsigned driver thing.

I'm running RivaTuner just fine on 7 64bit. Make sure you say yes to install updates at the end of the installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

darkforce898 posted:

So I got an email today saying.

We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On June 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours.

I checked my winver and it says it expires 3/1/10. Which one do I believe?

It's reminding you that the beta will expire on August 1 2009, not the RC. It's basically reminding you to upgrade from the beta to the RC.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Mirror's Edge runs fine on my system. 64 bit too! Non of the games that I play refuse to work on my Windows 7 installation. But I'm sure there will be one or two rogue games that will not work.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

G-Philez posted:

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate build 7127 x64. I have HDCP hardware and had no difficulty viewing HD-DVD's and Blu-ray disks in Vista Home Premium x64. I am using a combo drive by LG, and I really don't want to have to trade in my HD-DVD collection in order to view my collection on my computer. Has anyone found a working solutions for Windows 7 yet? Blu-rays work fine with the players I've tried out, including the one that came with the drive (PowerDVD v7.3).

I have the same drive I believe. I recently watched Terminator 2 on HD DVD on Windows 7 x64 using the Arcsoft player. However I am also using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD.

I also noted that I was able to watch the film on a cloned display (the film displayed on both displays), in the past this wasn't possible and only played on the monitor marked as the main display. Google led me to believe this was due to restrictions. Has this now changed or is it something Slysoft has recently got around?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just get the demos man, You can use the Slysoft software for 30 days and the Arcsoft software for 15 days without restriction. If it all works then buy it.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Ryokurin posted:

This is actually an improvement that happened in Vista. The problem you likely were having before was due to Arcsoft player using overlay which is hardware limited to the primary monitor in XP. (there are cards can do it on secondary but they are rare) Secondary monitors either tried to display in software, or just refused to show it at all. however since the GUI is hardware accelerated in Vista/7 this largely eliminates the problem there as Overlay is depreciated unless something triggers aero and/or desktop composition to disable for compatibility or memory issues. This isn't to say that you won't have problems playing video on the secondary monitor ever, but it largely is a driver or hardware issue today than a windows limitation.

I was just about to post that I had the same problem in Vista, but I just remembered that watching Blu Rays or HD DVDs in Vista disabled Aero. This no longer happens in Windows 7 (in fact I've yet to run into any software that disables Aero). So your reasoning sounds spot on.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Does Windows 7 power down volumes that aren't being used? Because it seems like every time I open something on my secondary drive it has to whir and spin up for a few seconds before it opens. Or is my hard drive dead and am I hosed?

It's spinning down to save energy I believe. You can change this in the power options. You're hard drive is not hosed.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Josh Lyman posted:

If I do Control Panel -> Power Options, I don't see anything of the sort :psyduck:

Change plan settings > advanced settings >

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I'm on build 7100 64bit, and I see people mentioning build 7700. How do I upgrade to that?

It doesn't exist, don't worry yourself.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Ryokurin posted:

Wall Street Journal is reporting that 7 will be released October 22nd.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090602-711873.html

Also RTM is expected to be just over one month away!

The Windows Blog posted:

Obviously, Release To Manufacturing (RTM) is an important milestone on the path to GA. We anticipate that we’ll be able to make the RTM code for Windows 7 available to our partners sometime in the 2nd half of July. We also expect to be able to make RTM code for Windows Server 2008 R2 available to our partners in this time frame as well.

Source

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

syphon posted:

Even further, I want to hear why OSX can bundle Safari, but Windows can't bundle IE.

OSX doesn't have a 90% OS market share

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Jewmanji posted:

My confusion always lay in this part of the equation: if IE wasn't bundled with Windows, how could one be expect to download Netscape (at the time) or Firefox or Opera or Safari?

Back in the dial up days we got everything monthly on magazine CDs.

Also I don't think IE was bundled with Windows until Windows 98?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

WizardShotFood posted:

After running the RC for a few weeks now I really want to get in on the preordering, but I cant find any participating store listed for the UK, anyone heard rumours of which stores or sites are going to be doing it? I'm hoping amazon at least but theres no info yet.

Amazon will probably do it, but the pre-ordering for the UK doesn't start until July 15th anyway.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

spasticColon posted:

I know this is a stupid question but is it possible to dual-boot the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same hard drive but on different partitions?

Technically I think it's doable. But legally you will need two separate licences. Of course this doesn't matter for the RC, but the final version will require two licences.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Some people were asking whether the 'upgrade' version from Digital River was actually the full version or not.

Well I've just done a clean install of 7 Professional from an iso that I downloaded in which the hashes were the same as those in the OP.

Using the key that Digital River gave me it activated without any problems.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 26, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mr. Clark2 posted:

My mom is a high school teacher and therefore has a .edu email address. Can I use this email address to get the $30 deal or is it only for colleges? Thanks.

It's all through that little domain suffix, she'll have no problem getting it. I used my alumni address to get mine. Not been a student for 3 years (unless you count the wine course I'm on)!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

akadajet posted:

I see a lot of posts about deals for students. Is there anything out there for non-students or am I looking at $300 for professional?

Befriend a student.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

gtdp posted:

I've been looking around and can't find a definite answer for this anywhere: the UK student (non-MSDNAA version) of Windows 7 that you can buy from this webpage is a download-only copy, but it doesn't say whether the file is a .exe file or an ISO image or anything. I want to have a bootable version of it because it makes re-installing the OS a hell of a lot easier, but that costs an extra £9, almost a third of what I'm paying for the OS itself.

I'm pretty sure the US student version is something other than an ISO and that crazy steps are needed to get a bootable image out of what you download, is that true for the UK version as well?

It's the .exe, but it's easy enough to grab an ISO from a torrent site after you've bought the licence.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

tronester posted:

My dad just bought a new Dell Vostro desktop that is going to be preloaded with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium.

Since its from Dell, the computer will probably be loaded to the brim with crap he doesnt need. Since he has a legal license for Windows, does Microsoft by chance have a website that allows you to download an ISO image? Or even purchasing blank media from them.

No, get it from a torrent site and make sure to check the ha....

Wait, what's this! Link

Gizmondo posted:

While most of you had a painless upgrade to Windows 7, some experienced problems with the downloadable Student Edition from Digital River. Microsoft acknowledged the problem, and has now come through with the ISO file you so desperately need.

If you were affected by this problem, here are your solutions:

Click the link for direct links to the ISO and instructions.

Don't know if it's the 32 or 64 bit version though.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

I built a new machine a couple of months ago, got Vista Home Premium 64bit and it came with a free Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. I'm a retard and didn't pay attention to it before though, and now it seems like the only way to get my upgrade is to order it from Microsoft and wait 6-8 weeks for them to mail it to me. I just assumed I'd be able to download my upgrade when 7 came out. Is there anyway I can download an iso from the OP and use the upgrade key I have?

If you actually have your upgrade key to hand then knock yourself out and download the ISO.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Thanks man. The way they worded it it kind of seemed like the upgrade key + proof of purchase would get me a valid key (via mail,) and the upgrade key was only good for that purpose. That's good news then.

I'm assuming that you actually have an upgrade key for Windows 7 and not just your Vista key?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Yeah it came with a seperate Win 7 Upgrade option insert with it's own key.

But... uhhh, where can I find those images? I'm on Technet and all I can find is a 90 day trial of Enterprise.

If it's in the format xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx then I think it'll be safe to assume it's a working upgrade key.

You can download the ISO from Microsoft here (it's a public link given by Gizmondo, Digital River are supposed to give this link out to those have problems with the .exe installer). Also has a guide on making a bootable DVD or Flash drive. Unfortunately I don't know if this ISO is 32 or 64 bit, I think it's 64bit.

Alternatively download from a torrent site, making sure to check the hashes. Unless you're wanting to install Ultimate, you'll need to delete some file in the sources folder to make the ballot screen pop up during installation offering different variants of Windows. I think this is in the OP?

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 30, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Thanks man, yeah those install option details are in the OP. My key is XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX :ohdear: But gonna give it a shot anyway cos it sure beats the hell out of waiting 6-8 weeks.

Thanks again for all your help DarthBlingBling.

Don't think that is a valid key I'm afraid. But you can go unactivated for up to 120 days, so you'll have plenty of time to get your real key.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Vintersorg posted:

Just got my disc in today (yay Canada). It says I need to disable my AV (nod32) and backup files. Does it delete poo poo? I have a ton of music that I really don't have time to move around right now.

Or is this just hyperbole and I can pop in the disc without any worries? Upgrading from Vista 64.

A backup never hurts, but it shouldn't delete anything if you're doing an upgrade. Anything that it needs to get rid of will be moved to Windows.old (users, program files, windows, a few others).

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

drcru posted:

Doesn't sound too bad, thanks.

I'm tempted to just buy the student offer key but it seems like its only for upgrades, right?

I'm 51% sure it's a full copy. I got a licence for professional from Digital River and did a clean install over the RC (which was Ultimate so I'm guessing shouldn't be upgradable to professional). Activation went without a hitch. Other forums also mention that it is a full copy and customer services have confirmed this with them.

Or to be on the safe side ring the number that has been mentioned a bajillion times in this thread for a $30 + shipping full retail copy direct from Microsoft.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Factor Mystic posted:

Click here for the full 501x1049 image.

HUD Time, HUD Weather, Network Utilization, Calculatorium, SABnzbd+ gadget, and Full Sun. Then I just turned off the clock in the taskbar, I find I work much better when I can't constantly see the time. Just mouse over to the corner and use Desktop Peek to see the time.

Also I'm working on HUD Feed but it's not really ready for mass consumption yet, but if you know how to write gadgets you're more than welcome to work on it.

Any chance of a Celcius option on your weather gadget? Fahrenheit makes no sense to me.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

zegermans posted:

Hey I'm having an issue with 64 bit ultimate. My graphics card (nvidia GTX 260) seems to be stuck at 59hz refresh rate on my acer AL2216W monitor (native 1680x1050x60hz). This (I think) leads to a slow-moving line that goes from top to bottom on any game or video I play. Any suggestions? I tried to google it and I got nothing relevant.

Can you not change the refresh rate in advance display properties?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

zegermans posted:

nope. Its an option, and I say ok and hit apply, etc, and then next time I check it switches back.

Other people have also been having this problem. There is software made for Nvidia cards that allows you to force a refresh rate.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

dMastri posted:

Everyday I find something new to love about Windows 7.

At first I thought the green sliver was a graphical glitch, but as it continued to grow, I realized it coincided with the progress of my Steam game download. Pretty snappy.

Try right clicking the icon, you'll poo poo your pants!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

madprocess posted:

Also I just checked my Microsoft Security Essentials to see when it updates:

I'm assuming you're British or something and think that 11/4/09 refers to 11th of April?

It's actually referring to today (Americans use a silly dating format month/date/year)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Doesn't seem to be a simple way to me. An idea though would be to go through the balanced advanced options, changing them to the power saver options. Then Balanced would be your Power Saver mode.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

WALLGOD posted:

Oh, need a wireless card to do it with a desktop. Oh well.

How else would a PC transmit a wireless signal :confused:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I just bought Pro upgrade through their student deal and ordered the bootable cd as well. Will I still need an existing Windows installation to upgrade from of can I go ahead and install it on a blank machine?

People seem to be 82% sure that the student upgrade deal is actually a full licence. Give it a whirl and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you'll have to format and start again. But you're starting from blank anyway.

Also I'm getting a 5.9 with a 10K raptor. Using the winsat diskformal command I'm getting 6s and 7s for everything bar disk random 16.0 read, which scores 4.2.

Doesn't matter anyway as I edited the xml file to say what I think the score should be!

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Footboy posted:

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but has anyone else who went through win741 not received their DVD from DigitalRiver yet? I'm starting to worry.

Don't worry, just download an ISO. The money you paid was effectively for the licence.

EDIT:: Of course it's not an excuse to not expect the backup media that you paid for.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Benagain posted:

This is driving me nuts. I'm in the middle of installing the 64 bit version of 7 and the product key they've given me seems to be too short at only 22 digits/letters. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Where did you get this key?

The only thing like it I've heard about is upgrade codes that PC manufacturers give to people who bought a PC pre-installed with Vista with the 7 upgrade plan. The code itself is not a valid product key and must be given to the PC manufacturer to get a valid key.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Manky posted:

I read the last few pages and I didn't see it, so please excuse the question (I know I've seen it answered here before):

I'm about to install W7 Pro over the RC. What program should I use to make an image of the fresh install when I'm done in case I need to restore it later on down the road?

Windows 7. guess you're in luck then!

To be more helpful type in 'backup' in the start menu when your installation is finished then create a system image.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 17, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
http://www.win741.com/

Even though it says upgrade I'm now 99.9999% sure it's a full licence. I have yet to hear otherwise and it worked for me. Can't remember where it asks you if you need to join a domain. Look out for it as it'll give you Professional for the same price.

If you don't want to risk it there is a number kicking about where you can ring Microsoft directly and they'll offer the full version for the same price.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Swilo posted:

4) Is the GPU experience rating artifically capped at 6.9 if it doesn't support DX11? This is a throwaway and I really don't care, but that seems to be the case like with platter HDDs.

No, I have a 4870 and it's rated at 7.5. It doesn't support DX11.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Number_6 posted:

Windows 7 is a bitch with permissions and ownership issues, I'm too much of a novice when it comes to PC security and account types to really absorb it all. But I've had problems with games that use manually-edited config files or saved games in "Program Files" subdirectories.

I can't stand my own PC fighting me on file access and rights issues. If it was up to me, I should be able to do a FORMAT C without so much as a ARE YOU SURE YES/NO prompt. poo poo, I could probably still do that, yet I can't edit a text game config file in Progam Files without loving around to manually grant myself rights to that directory.

And that just raises another question: it makes no sense to me that I can upgrade my own ownership or permissions on my account. I'm glad I can or I'd be screwed, but if I can do that, what is the point of the restrictions in the first place?

Just open notepad or the file as admin if you want to gently caress around with config files. I'm presuming the restrictions are there to stop viruses and poo poo from easily changing the settings and other stuff of programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Apple are going to love this - 'so you finally caught up?'