Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

4 Day Weekend posted:

If you are going to grab an ACM membership, make sure it's one of the student ones.

Do they actually check to see if you're a student, or is this on the honor system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I intend to upgrade to Windows 7, and plan to get the 64 bit version so I can use all 4 gigs of RAM in this thing. Will programs not specifically made for a 64 bit OS still work, like some kind of compatibility mode or something? Forgive my ignorance here, please.

Also, are there any programs that are known to not work with Win 7? Like, at all?

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

One other question: Will Vista drivers for my sound card, video card, and network card work, or do I need to hunt down versions updated specifically for Win 7?

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

direspoon posted:

ClearType gives me migraines. Whenever I reinstall an OS, I work myself halfway into a terrible headache until I remember I haven't turned it off yet. :psyduck:

Same here. Trying to leave it on is a guaranteed migraine. It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Xenomorph posted:

This looked like Winamp to you?

I believe he was talking about the ridiculously horrible skin that it uses by default. Why the gently caress does an anti-virus program, something that you shouldn't have to fiddle with too much unless you're a moron, need skins in the first place? Not every facet of an operating system needs to be riced out like a teenager's lovely Honda Civic.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just curious, is there already a hacked bootleg pirate version of Windows 7? Does it some how bypass activation?

There are a handful of loaders and patchers available, but I can't speak to how well they end up working. They've been around since a day or two after the RTM .isos were available, maybe before for all I know.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Super Dude posted:

Call Dell and ask them for help. Their sales reps are generally pretty knowledgeable.

Except for the one who told me that the quality of your video card directly affects your internet speed. She was a crack whore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

4 Day Weekend posted:

Regarding 2010, just tried installing this morning and the tech preview didn't want to uninstall. Something about the install missing a file or some such. I tried using the Windows Install Cleanup tool, which removed it (apparently) and at the end of installation it just says 'office has encountered a problem during installation'.

Wasn't there something about the earlier versions of 2010 that made them drat near impossible to uninstall?