Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
in "can I upgrade my current system" might want to fix typo "Also, the results of the upgrade will be upgraded to Microsoft "

and
<3 the 64-bit RC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Strabo4 posted:

I have 8GB of ram (it was some good ram on a really loving good sale) and I don't think I've ever gone over half. It tends to stay around 37% usage, even with 64+ processes running at once.
8GB here as well, with my normal app load I'm at around 32% physical usage. But its nice to have the extra headroom. :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

well home pre is definitely out for me. But pro is looking more and more like the edition to get.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Logostomp posted:

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.
TF2 is working fine for me. Lots of flashing to black screen and desktop in order to get in, but once in it runs fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Casao posted:

Bitlocker to go sounds absolutely stunning.
Yeah BLtG sounds most intersting to me as well. On the other hand, pre-7 OSs can't write the drive in any way, read only through a special on-drive app. I have my 512MB really old drive encrypted with all my really important files, bills, important email, scans of important docs, etc. In an emergency situation scans are better than nothing, and no paper to haul around.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 20, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4 Day Weekend posted:

Where can you get it?
Tech preview for 2010 leaked. I dont trust it, yet. 2007 excel is a crappily coded piece of poo poo for some things, aero snap and splitting windows among them (you can have two views of one spreadsheet withing the excel window, but not 2 excel windows. Really sucks for dual monitors.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I still haven't figured out what the purpose of XPM is for personal machines.
Anybody want to clue me in?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Stutes posted:

News for any European purchasers of Windows 7: retail copies of the OS will not include ANY browser.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-europe-sans-internet-explorer.ars
OMG I'm crying over here from laughing so hard.
Have fun trying to download and install a browser...without a browser.
Won't do anything for OEM or corp computers, but they really need to setup a splash screen to tell people where to direct their hatemail to (EU anti-trust division).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deep square leg posted:

Does anyone use a Logitech Harmony universal remote? I can't get the software to work. I've tried compatibility mode for almost every older OS and have run/installed it with admin rights, but it just shows a blank (grey) window. It might be something to do with flash, because I think that's what it uses to render the contents.

Remote software 7.5, Windows build 7100.
harmony remote software and remote programming both worked fine for me on 7100x64.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Femur posted:

I have a 8gb one. I had always set it at 2x physical ram?
I have 8GB of ram and still haven't seen any reason to re-enable my page file. Despite getting jumped on in here, unless I see a specific problem it is staying off.</challenge>

Casao posted:

Is there an easy way to, on a case-by-case basis, prevent a laptop from going to sleep when closed? I like it to happen most of the time, but occasionally I'm just setting it down for 2 minutes to take a quiz or something and I'd prefer not to have to reconnect. I guess I could make another power profile, but I'm looking for something simpler, like if I lock it before I close it, it doesn't go to sleep. Anyone done this before?
I always set it to sleep when closed if it was on battery and to do nothing when closed if plugged in. It isn't as specific as you want, but might try it.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 19, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gvaz posted:

Is there any option to reduce the size of windows 7's enormous taskbar? I'm gonna install the beta this weekend, and it looks like it will be too big even on 1920x1200. Maybe half the size would be nice. Does autohide take focus from fullscreen things?
Using 1920x1200 as my primary monitor, and "large" icons really are not excessive at all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

You don't need Ultimate in all likelihood, Windows 7 Pro includes all the stuff that Home Premium has, unlike Vista it's a true superset. If you still want to pay extra for Ultimate you'll have to jump through hoops to get it, but noone really needs it in the first place.
The home/corp differences never bothered me. Maybe some features should have been swapped, but corp users really dont need some of the home stuff, and home users dont need domains and the like. If you needed both, you should have been able to do anytime upgrades to ultimate. Basic->Home/Corp->Ultimate. But of course, thats not how it was advertised.

But back to win 7, I want bitlocker to go, damnit. OEM ultimate looks to be the best enthusiast version.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dig up a torrent, tell it to use that file, and it'll download just the pieces that aren't correct.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

I used a 5 year old hard drive up until June with Vista and still did fine. It really isn't that big an issue until it's actually giving you problems.

I don't really trust the WEI. I got a new computer in June with some pretty good guts (http://www.pricecanada.com/p.php/GATEWAY-FX6800-01H-Intel-Core-i7-920-PTG410X002-615509/) and I'm getting 5.9 across the board. I have really no idea why it's such a lovely score because my old rig was way worse and had something similar.
Old HDDs are significantly slower than modern drives. $60 for a 7200.12 500GB makes a huge difference.

And yes, 5.9 is the max for vista, 7 ups it to 7.9.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Except spend a few bucks more and get the 640GB model. Only 2 platters so it's even faster ;)
The 7200.12 500GB uses a single platter, its actually thinner than normal 3.5" drives.
The 640 people talk about (still, I think) is the 640 Black from WD. 2 platters and very fast.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seagate had some older 640GB drives. But there is no 7200.12 640GB drive AFAIK.
Anyway, its OT. Lets get back to win7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4GB HDD? Good luck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Has anybody else had this problem and figured out a solution?
Right click and select it from the pinned menu.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. Three copies will take care of my household perfectly.
I run 3 comps (albeit ones a laptop which will have 7 natively) as well.

Depending on pricing, technet could be a better option.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Xachariah posted:

I've checked about actually, and it seems to do both video and audio most of the time. But like fishmech says it's a bit dodgy even with Vista and XP.
I had an M1330 and I can guarantee audio via HDMI (with vista x64) worked.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

1997 posted:

I think he might be trolling.
My quad with 8GB and no swap is perfectly stable. Silly people.

And last I heard MS counts physical cores, not logical cores, for the licensing restrictions. That may have changed of course, but thats how it was for XP if not Vista.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xamphear posted:

RTM ISOs are probably :filez: so I'm not going to link to them, but ones matching the checksums Microsoft posted have leaked.
And what might those checksums be?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deep square leg posted:

I'm an MSDN subscriber so I'll be able to grab and install it on Aug 6. Forgive my ignorance of the commercial software life-cycle, but is the RTM 'it'? I won't have to install a general release version later on?
RTM means "release to manufacturing" (or close enough not to matter). Its the build released to the plant pressing retail disks. It *IS* the version to eventually be available in stores, requiring retail CD-keys (or MSDN/AA/technet/etc).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Install once, activate, image. Never worry about it again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lum posted:

But basically yes, install Win7 once (clean install preferably) and then before you even start installing drivers (as they will probably have been updated by the time you come to re-install your image) take an image, keep it somewhere safe and if you need to reformat, you just blast the image back onto your harddrive using the same boot CD, problem solved.
Id install any drivers that dont get updated often, and any software you are always going to need (fully patched for the time). Then you dont have to reinstall those apps/updates either.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

lazydog posted:

Windows 7 makes it even easier because one of the options with the built-in backup software lets you do a full disk image, and lets you create a bootable rescue disk.
wow. that Ill have to play with. :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

seriously the hashes match? The hashes in the first post include the direct to ultimate file. That just seems...wierd.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Anyone know when we'll be able to buy a computer that comes with Windows 7 installed? I know most places have the free upgrade right now, but since my mother is possibly looking for a new computer I'd rather she not have to go through it.

Also, slightly off topic, what is the best company to buy a prebuilt from?
No :smug: responses of Apple, please.
10/23?
Dell. (gently caress apple)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ludnix posted:

I'm having trouble sharing a hard drive in windows 7 with my other computers in my house. I have a western digital 1TB hard drive that I keep my music and movies on at my desktop with Win 7 RC 7100. I right clicked the drive and told it to share, but when I go my laptop with Win 7 RC 7100 and select the drive under "Map a network drive" it says I do not have permission. I'm also trying to share this drive with another computer that has vista on it but the same thing happens. Anyone know what I need to do to give these other computers permission that I'm not doing now?

[mg]http://someawe.com/uploads/sharing.PNG[/timg]
[mg]http://someawe.com/uploads/settings.PNG[/timg]
Make sure the "everyone" user has NTFS permissions assigned, in addition to the shared permissions. The stricter of the two is what applies. Or use the same username/password on all computers.

Is there a version of skype that doesn't stop working anytime the computer goes to sleep?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

So now that I'm on RTM, I'm kind of disappointed to see that the multiple monitor stuff was never improved: there's still no ultramon-esque taskbar for the second monitor, and dragging something toward the side of one monitor where it borders another doesn't activate the "resize zone" feature.

Are there any workarounds or utilities for either of these? Is everyone just using ultramon still?
win+left/right does the half-sizing, as does up for maximizing and down/right/left to bring it back to normal. I put my taskbar vertically between the two monitors and it works just fine, always easy to reach.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I saved a friend from going back to XP by managing to install a driver that was already on their disk. Yay!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Xaranx posted:

Dammit, I had xp on one hard drive, installed 7 on a separate hard drive, now I can't format the XP hard drive to use it for storage. I remove the hard drive physically 7 won't boot. That's loving retarded. Why would an installation of one operating system on a hard drive put critical information on another.

How do I fix this without another reinstall?
pull drive, boot the 7 DVD, repair should fix it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Naffer posted:

That was my problem, I didn't see that you could use small icons for the open programs on the taskbar. It doesn't like mixing large and small icons.
It has to size itself for the largest icons on the bar, not an average or the smallest. I still dont see why anybody would use small icons with win7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deep square leg posted:

It's not that I don't like screensavers, it's just that I set my monitor to switch off after five minutes. I'm stingy.
I have a program that puts the screens to sleep soon as I lock the comp. Its 100W between the 2, so its worth saving.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

wang souffle posted:

What's it called?
http://code.google.com/p/monitores/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

(...and no Adblock Plus, but I guess I could live without that)
While it may be possible, I don't think I'd really WANT to. Although, strangely, it doesn't kill the SA banner below threads.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RTM actually seems buggier to me.
I never saw the desktop refresh bug in the beta or RC, but I see it in RTM.
Have had occasional refusals to go to sleep in RTM, again, never had it in RC.

Not gonna go backwards, but hoping for some quick patches.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DarthDommo posted:

I did that, however the next lowest setting is "never notify me of anything ever". I guess my anger lies with Winamp for apparently making "changes to my computer" whenever it plays a song, rather than with Windows for notifying me of it. I was hoping a fellow Winamp user had come up with some kind of work around.
UAC never prompts me for winamp (default UAC settings), so you have something strange going on.

Double check you have the latest version (mine is 5.56 x86), maybe it saves the playlist elsewhere or something. :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Footboy posted:

Not a problem.
Ah, thank you for this. I was referring to getting Professional instead of Home, but it sounds like Pro is Home and then some; for some reason, I thought Pro was for workstations, Home was for gaming, and Ultimate was Pro+Home.
Yeah thats how Vista worked and it made total sense to me, but apparently having to decide how they used their computer confused the population and thus they yelled at microsoft who thus changed it for 7.

Pilsner posted:

Does anyone know how I add my own folders to organize shortcuts in the start menu, in the "pinned" area? Just like you could make your own folders in the classic.
WTF is wrong with using the built in search?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

file checking?