Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MoPZiG posted:

Missed this when it first aired but apparently Russell Brand made his first radio appearance post Sachs-gate on TalkSport podcast.

Him and Noel Gallagher debate the most pressing issue in football: whos the best club - West Ham or City.

On the whole I found that show pretty funny. Noel's story about Wayne Rooney was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
How long until Football Weekly's back :( I need my nachos.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ICA posted:

How long until Football Weekly's back :( I need my Barry Glendenning and Dr. Sid Lowe.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Heres another podcast Ive found a good laugh.

The Football Ramble

quote:

Marcus Speller, James Campbell, Lukey Moore and Producer Pete are 'The Football Ramble', a fortnightly podcast released every other Saturday. Recorded in a secret location somewhere in London, everything regarding the beautiful game is dissected, pulled apart and discussed in the show that has threatened on more than one occasion to rock the football community to its very core.

Forever sticking its brave head above the conversational parapet, 'The Football Ramble' has the enemy permanently in its sights. And when they shoot, they shoot to kill. Download the most recent show on the below link and marvel at the finery that is The Football Ramble in full, magnificent flow.*

for USA based stuff theres also Match fit USA.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 28, 2009

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ICA posted:

How long until Football Weekly's back :( I need my nachos.

Its baaaaack

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Its baaaaack

The drought is finally over. No more WSD for me.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
How have I missed this thread? James Richardson is god and has been for quite some time.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Delighted that Football Weekly is back, but I have to say that the Football Ramble that MoPZiG linked a few posts up really wasn't terrible.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The Mash posted:

I have to say that the Football Ramble that MoPZiG linked a few posts up really wasn't terrible.

It was good. No real interesting or fresh analysis, but good banter and some funny stories. Worth a listen definitely.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
According to their website World Soccer Daily is dead. From what Steven has said, it was because of the crazy Liverpool fans threatening his family. I haven't listened to the podcast but I'd imagine it would have to be pretty serious to just stop the show all together. Wasn't the best but having less coverage in the US is always a bad thing.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Theageofdust posted:

According to their website World Soccer Daily is dead. From what Steven has said, it was because of the crazy Liverpool fans threatening his family.

Is there a reason for this? :psyduck:

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Theageofdust posted:

According to their website World Soccer Daily is dead. From what Steven has said, it was because of the crazy Liverpool fans threatening his family. I haven't listened to the podcast but I'd imagine it would have to be pretty serious to just stop the show all together. Wasn't the best but having less coverage in the US is always a bad thing.
I'm not up on the story and stopped listening to WSD a long time ago. But from what I gather he said Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths and refused to back down. The fans got pissed rightfully so and got all his advertisers to pull the plug?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

calcio posted:

I'm not up on the story and stopped listening to WSD a long time ago. But from what I gather he said Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths and refused to back down. The fans got pissed rightfully so and got all his advertisers to pull the plug?

he basically was a gigantic cock about Hillsborough, early and often. If he's using that as an explanation for the show going away, well...maybe the advertisers decided they had had enough too.

I'm also sad at the loss of coverage in the U.S. but honestly I wasn't listening to it, ever, because it was poo poo. If somebody does better stuff and with more of an MLS focus I'd gladly listen.

But for me it's Football Weekly, which is BACK with a vengeance :swoon:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The few times I've listened to WSD, I always enjoyed it... so that kind of sucks.

Anyway the latest Football Weekly podcast has a cracker of a joke about Zhirkov and Ashley Young.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

harperdc posted:

I'm also sad at the loss of coverage in the U.S. but honestly I wasn't listening to it, ever, because it was poo poo. If somebody does better stuff and with more of an MLS focus I'd gladly listen.

http://www.championssoccerradio.com/
Check out 'Match Fit USA' for indepth American stuff.

As for WSD, Im glad its gone because Steven and Kenny were lousy hosts.

edit:this is a decent article summing up the WSD vs Liverpool debacle. I didn't know that even Peter Kenyon stepped in to distance Chelsea from Steven. Hilarious. I have never heard of a club doing that.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 24, 2009

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wf/ is mentioned in the OP, but I want to go back to it a moment. In the UK this is on in the middle of the night on the radio, so even we tend to listen to the podcast rather than live.

This is the show that if you're an elitist football fan, "and drat you no-one else I know is as into soccer as me!" you listen to.

Each week they have 2 (occasionally 3) people who specialize in a continent of football. North America,South America, Europe Asia and Africa. And each one of these guys is the best there is on his respective topic. They know the craziest amount of poo poo about their area. Some obscure second division Argentinian? Yeh Tim went to watch him a couple of weeks ago and liked his commitment, and he knows that x, y and z all had scouts at the game because he had a drink with them after the game.

MLS is well covered every other week. Sean is best friends with virtually every body who works in MLS. But he happens to know everything there is to know about Costa Rica, Bermuda and every other tiny little place that makes up CONCACAF.

Europe, Africa and Asia are covered less often than South America, but just as thoroughly when their guy is around. And Dotun Adebayo, the host, is the nicest guy in the world.

Basically, you need to listen to this show if you're a soccer fan. Until you can say you listen to this each week, you're a scrub.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Basically, you need to listen to this show if you're a soccer fan. Until you can say you listen to this each week, you're a scrub.

The cast, Vickery especially, are all top drawer but the regular callers (yes even 'The gent') are incredibly boring. Even worse are the people who ring up begging for the Brazilian shirt name. Dotun is too generous with his time.

In other podcast news our patron saint Ray Parlour rang into the most recent Chapper's Premier League podcast (itunes).

and apparently WSD is back, anyone know the details?

and if you arent listening to the Football Ramble yet what are you waiting for?

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005
WSD is back and they're going to start charging a monthly subscription or something. I thought the show was pretty decent for what it was but never in a million years would I pay for that considering there's dozens free shows that are much better.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
For listeners of The Spurs Show by Phil Cornwell, iTunes isn't updating their podcasts for some reason, a lot of people can't get it to work, they sent out their link on Facebook though:

http://tinyurl.com/happyhappyharry

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The football ramble just barely walks the right side of the annoying / not-annoying divide.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sky Sports are now releasing their Sunday Supplement in podcast form. Now you can listen to the chirpiest goon in football, Martin Samuel, on you ipod here.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

MoPZiG posted:

Sky Sports are now releasing their Sunday Supplement in podcast form. Now you can listen to the chirpiest goon in football, Martin Samuel, on you ipod here.

Such a oval office.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

That new guy on Football Weekley's awful

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
Really, really is.

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

Simon Hattenstone? If so, yes I agree.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
He sounds nothing like I expected at all, I pictured him as a middle aged suburban dad from his columns but he sounds like a camp twentysomething. I think he'll be a semi-regular at most so it's not a problem as long as they tell him not to do anymore songs, unless they're really funny.

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 15, 2009

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I'm sure that he won't be back, or if he is he will be a bit more subdued. It was his first time on the pod so I guess he just isn't sure what he should be doing, and acting like Alan Carr is not a good way to fit in.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
I was more annoyed by the arrogant Arsenal fan from the other week. I mean we all got a laugh at him saying that Arsenal have the best squad in the league but usually the quality of guest is a bit higher than some moron shouting "THEO WALCOTT PLAYS" repeatedly with his only other input being a dull theory on a defender's psychology which essentially boiled down to playing good forwards to counter an opposition's good defence.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Alan BStard posted:

I'm sure that he won't be back, or if he is he will be a bit more subdued. It was his first time on the pod so I guess he just isn't sure what he should be doing, and acting like Alan Carr is not a good way to fit in.

Yeah it was mainly the tonal shift from most pod atmospheres that was so odd, you had the usual dry, sarcastic and, well, quiet discussion and then you have him singing and hamming it up and it kind of disrupted everyone else's game. I think jimbo only made one pun :ohdear:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Russ posted:

I was more annoyed by the arrogant Arsenal fan from the other week. I mean we all got a laugh at him saying that Arsenal have the best squad in the league but usually the quality of guest is a bit higher than some moron shouting "THEO WALCOTT PLAYS" repeatedly with his only other input being a dull theory on a defender's psychology which essentially boiled down to playing good forwards to counter an opposition's good defence.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. The worst was his claim that Arsenal would win the league and that Wenger had made up injuries to rest them last season because they were still shook up over Eduardo breaking his leg. Shame he wasn't on yesterday.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
Lack of Barry Glendenning and Sean Ingle is annoying.

The episode following international week was kind of dull. It was really horrible basic analysis. No fun in it either.

Is the live show this Sunday?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Stim posted:

Lack of Barry Glendenning and Sean Ingle is annoying.

The episode following international week was kind of dull. It was really horrible basic analysis. No fun in it either.

Is the live show this Sunday?

Ingle mentioned he's away for a while didn't he? As much as I like Barry Glendenning, he's not as good as he used to be. Shame Kevin McCarra hasn't been on too much this season. Paul Doyle too.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Haha, I was going to skip yesterday's until I saw Simon Hattenstone getting slammed by everybody. His columns are invariably dreadful too, no surprise that he also comes across as an unfunny fool.

Jimbo wrote that Hattenstone was an emergency stand-in for Jonathan Wilson. What a different pod that would have been.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
He is still in Germany. I'm not sure for how long though.

He was saying on Twitter that the comments for that last two shows weren't great. There were maybe staff shortages or something. He also said they always 'try to have someone funny + reporter + someone with knowledge and right tone'.

Hopefully the usuals will be back soon.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Mickolution posted:

As much as I like Barry Glendenning, he's not as good as he used to be.

I think Barry's performance is inversely related to Sunderland's.

Worst person on the GU pod is always the Argentine woman, she never says anything remotely constructive.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

MoPZiG posted:

I think Barry's performance is inversely related to Sunderland's.

Worst person on the GU pod is always the Argentine woman, she never says anything remotely constructive.

She has a pretty voice and doesn't try to be funny so I don't mind :3:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

RedPaddy posted:

She has a pretty voice and doesn't try to be funny so I don't mind :3:

Agreed.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

There's something insanely terrible about middle-class people who love incredibly complex football songs that nobody actually sings and appear to be a relic of the 1950s. And are offended by any song that might be marginally upsetting to someone, anyone, anywhere. And are Arsenal fans.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Yeah think I'll give that one a miss for a while then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Today's FW lineup is back to the tried and tested: Jimbo, James Dart, Paul Doyle and Kevin McCarra. And they've had enough of people lynching pod participants.