Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I don't know about other cameras but the scene files in the HXV200 allow for setting the color temperature as a value in the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

SquareDog posted:

Last week we lit the poo poo out of a large night EXT without a genny, not that you're "wrong" or I'm "right", just saying is all.

it likely looked like muddy poo poo with the faces barely reaching 30 IRE unless it was a parking lot, near a stadium or only a series of close ups with the light just off frame.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
read this: live it.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/11/video-dslr

I swear the next time I see some loving hipster prick take out his faggy D7 on a set I'm going to go Kayne and smash it to bits. They can take it out of the production insurance.

gently caress all of your HD video. :snoop: 7219/5219 motherfuckers. :2bong: :clint:

link included for all you DVRebel cretins

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 22, 2009

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I thought I had to share this with someone.

If you can find Scene 3 / Slate 10 / take 2 (British System) I will buy you a god drat forum upgrade.

I really cherish the completely non-nonsensical totals on the side, I don't understand what the gently caress is going on here. See that 001/1 at the top? There was multiple pages to this poo poo, on 3 different rolls. If you are going onto a second page on a camera report you are likely doing something wrong. Including the scratch test is really the coup de grace. I am sure the lab really appreciates the 6 feet of footage they are never going to physically be in contact with.

Truly it boggles the mind.

edit: I forgot we also did a tail slate somewhere on the beginning of roll 001. Jesus Christ.

Some self busting, I had a accidental roll out recently because I misscalculated the side margins while rushing and some how turned a 23 into a 15 so the mag rolled out 70 feet early. AD was pretty pissed especially since we were down to one good mag as the others had registration problems. I swear it was the longest 25 minutes of my life unloading the mag, cleaning it, putting in a new load, scratching testing it and having a massive loving base scratch, then having to run lens tissue on every loving roller, pressure plate, and light lock I could get into, finally reloading it and running it to the set just in time for them to break for lunch anyway.

If I did something like this report I would honestly just blow my brains out from shame.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 1, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
It was a trick question as I don't know the answer. I'll see how they reverse engineered it with the script supervisor to let you know if you're right.

And of course it was an SR2, loving thing basically just chews film and spits it back out.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Andraste posted:

I have a huge hard on for china ball lighting after a shoot this weekend. I was gaffing a short and I lit 90% of it with a kit of china balls and bulbs that all together cost less than $200.

I keygrip/gaffed a studio set and the cinematographer really who loves her china balls. Though there was specific character looks that involved a leko and tungsten fresnels the china balls ended up being used a lot. A big thing is because of the haze effect those created nasty beams that really gave away the source. The balls created just an ominous glow in the fog and really added nicely to the low light atmosphere.

I suggested top softboxes on dimmers that could be rotated from the catwalk by an electric for highlighting certain places if needed. She ended up not really needing them though.

Here is a way I rigged the balls:

The cable is coiled along the arm and taped at the end. The knuckle is on the opposite end for a counter weight.

It makes it a nice tight unit and very mobile. The grip stand can easily be swapped with a maffer clamp and the whole thing tossed on the grid, the arm lets it be raised and lowered easily. The low mount makes it great for pulling on the floor as we had a lot of the scene with one character on the ground. Just tossing the bare ball on the floor doesn't work as it's a safety issue and the bulb won't hang properly. It's really a pain in the rear end with flaring though if the camera dept doesn't have a bottom flag. I ended up getting a grip to just stand by with a small flag and just hold it under the matte box when necessary.

One moment I was proud of is when I threw a dimmer on a low china ball and sparked it as a character lit a candle and then dimmed it as he walked away. I don't know how it looked as the show was 16mm but it looked great from where I was.

PS I hate avenger Grip stands, avenger makes sub standard equipment. Matthews forever.

And I hate Kinos, they create very ugly shadows, are finicky to set up and accept in very specific circumstances always look like kinos. They also create very ugly eye lights. Another thing China Balls do better.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 24, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
no one is shooting tons of stuff with the 7D in the commercial world. There are dumb exceptions by morons but I guess they like terrible looking footage that can't resolve 720P line chart and has one of the worst codecs ever imagined for a native format. (wonder why AVCHD gets laughed at?)

HDSLRs are for weddings, morons, indie garbage and C-Roll

edit: I will admit the have a great form factor. A sensor with a lense mount is the future of digital cinema, but it can't be putting out this.

When real money is on the line, poo poo like this doesn't cut it.

Still, it looks pretty good on vimeo for you shallow DoF clips of your dog.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 1, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Walnut Crunch posted:

Talking to people in the know, just the light issues alone are going to change a lot. They think in the next few years commercial crews will be dropping from in excess of 40 people to 9 or 10. The creatives will remain but the grip trucks, big rear end generators all that will be on the way out.

Nope, No, and no. I don't even have to justify my argument because the HDSLR crowd is almost as stupid as the red crowd.

P.S. that commercial looks like poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Finally amateur hour is over.

http://www.arridigital.com/alexa

800 EI at 3200k
13.5 stops of latitude

Made by a real company, not some jackass sunglass maker rehousing still CMOS's into an xbox.

I can't wait for my local houses to get some.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
don't waste your time Tiresias, idiots will continue to make terrible poo poo and defend it to the death while not understanding why it's terrible. Then they'll stop working, and be remembered as technicians instead of artists, and hopefully die alone and forgotten. Yes they are killing our industry but techs are worth nothing anyway, it's the creatives that have lasting careers.

Remember kids! crush the blacks! shoot 4k! use gain, light with kinos, edge light women, back light the men, output to 1080p, output to H264, upload to vimeo, watched once and forgotten

P.S. gently caress anyone who calls themselves a cinematographer without exposing a negative, you're a Videographer, jerkwads.

Edit: here is something legit, read the article in AC mag for this month about the Production Summit. The big problem with a lot of visual people today is they forget how to see things. To many creatives these days the creative process with finding something they've seen they could practically just cut together what they are being inspired by to make the same product! I find one of my biggest influences is just when I see something that catches my eye, I look at it and think of what I find compelling about it and how I could create that. Stop trying to create "looks" and start creating emotions, idiots. Stop defending your terrible work and stop smelling everyone elses' farts. Too many fanboys, all I want my camera to do is do what I want it to.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 18, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

butterypancakes posted:

Trailer for the finale of House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAaZZQhuyMo

Looks soft, very soft.

Lets rack focus across every surface. Also the camera jitter isn't distracting at all.

terrible

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
pfff 8mm? thats for babies. I've always wanted to try the PL mounted 6mm nikon clairmont has.

http://www.clairmont.com/spec_items/6mm_nikkor_lens.html

nothing like having to be worried that the tripod will be in the shot.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
personally I am not a fan of full frame sensor size since everyone always shoots wide open and it makes focus very frustrating.

don't get confused by focal length conversions. All focal lengths are always the same regardless of the format. The different is the size of the film/sensor (window)

Bigger window, wider picture. Focal length simply changes how big things are outside that window.

A 25mm 16mm bolex lens is the same as a 25mm ziess master prime, difference is the bolex won't cover the full area, but it's still the same fov, just obscured

DOF is always the same for a focal length (focal distance IE focus effects it greatly)

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Tiresias posted:

Simply not true. The formula used to calculate DoF uses not only the focal length of the lens, but the Circle of Confusion, distance to the subject and f/stop.

For the brainiacs (from that article I linked):

F is the focal length. D is the subject distance, c is the circle of confusion and fn is the f# (f-stop) of the lens.

For the cheap seats:

yes if you want to get into the details but that's not what I am talking about.

optically a 25mm lens has the same DOF for a given focal distance as any other 25mm lens. No exceptions.

Of course resolution, f stop effect beyond that.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Nope. While practical DoF comes into play from the CoC, resolution, etc. Mathematically the light converges exactly the same regardless of sensor size through a given focal length.

What I am saying is a 25mm lens with behave exactly the same, with the same optical dof whether it's on a full frame sensor, APSC, 35mm film gate, 16mm, super8 etc.

edit:

first half of this video when he changes from 4k to 2k demonstrates the point pretty clearly.

http://blog.abelcine.com/2010/05/14/a-lens-is-a-lens-is-a-lens/

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 18, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Today I learned from a stereographer that the focal plane mark on red one cameras are actually an approximation of the actual location of the sensor, and that the depth of the sensor plane is variable based on manufacturing tolerances. Basically the whole engineering process of putting together the camera can be summed up as such.

That's always great, that the depth of the sensor is variable, good luck getting that stereo rig to work, fags - Jim Jannard

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Tiresias posted:

I can understand how that's kind of upsetting, but I don't think that'll be much of a problem. Sure, pulling tape may be off by a few fractions of a millimeter, but that doesn't have much relevance unless you're shooting super critical focus.

More so it means the mounting plate isn't consistent to where the sensor is, meaning each time two red ones are put on a rig they have to be carefully calibrated for depth, you can't trust that they'll match up just because the mounting distance isn't identical.

edit: I can't remember now since this story was off hand, but I also think it was they aren't perfectly laterally aligned either. I imagine they just squeeze the CMOS out of a cake icing tube or something I really don't know how they mess this up. From what I remember they said they'd update the manual to warn about it so if anyone has an updated one take a look and see if it mentions it.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 25, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Walnut Crunch posted:

Isn't careful calibration what makes shooting 3d so hard anyway. From what I've heard careful calibration isn't anything held to just RED when doing 3d.

That said, there sure are a lot of RED 3D rigs around.

That's why Panny created the 3DA1. If you don't have the time and really need to run and gun, there is a camera for that. Not that the image quality matches RED but there is always a compromise.

I can say in a professional capacity that the 3DA1 sucks a fat one and is going to contribute greatly to people hating 3D. (non adjustable Inter-axial distance, or as Panasonic calls it the old way, inter-optical)

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 25, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I think it's crazy to expect someone who wants to try filmmaking to first become a perfect photographer. They have different challenges, and the poor sod could spend years perfecting his Rembrandt triangle. Then when he finally transitions to video/film, he realizes that everything moves and it shits all over his pretty three point lighting setup.

That sounds like a doctor wearing a stethoscope around his neck while talking to you about a sprained ankle.

Yes, because stethoscopes also aren't ever used to check blood flow or anything, but it doesn't matter because your opinion is wrong and you are stupid for having it. I am sure Stanley Kubrick was just being a jackass when he said that to understand cinema you must have a strong understanding of photography. Having experience on the behaviour of light, exposure, image, language of composition or perspective must be a real useless toolset to have when you can just throw a 50mm lens on your 5D and start making cinema right on your macbook!

edit: look mom, this looks so great on this 3 inch screen! And it looks wonderful on youtube!!

PS, I keep a light meter in my backpack sometimes if I find a cool location and I want to get a general idea of ambient light, but why should i care about lighting when I can crank the ISO up to a billion and then process the h264 footage in premier pro CS5 on my macbook with a desnoise filter and upload it to vimeo for 6 people to see.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 1, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
G&E these days, also camera oping on documentary recently and 1st/2nd AC whenever I can. I also do DP stuff on the side but not so much anymore because I am so god drat broke.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Wow, the last like 7 post are on my ignore list. What the hell is going on in this thread?

Edit:

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'm sure you're a pleasure to work with. :)

Difference between you and me is I am.

Exponentory, If you have problems with loud pricks who have giant egos and have low tolerance for horseshit from below then the Camera Department isn't for you. When they say its where the art meets the science, it should be where the money meets the drama.

Seriously this thread borders on terrible sometimes, It's like HV20.com or whatever in here occasionally.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 3, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

don't invoke that name don't you dare

:qq: don't you understand... my nikon extension tube adapter with self poured wax ground glass is just like film :qq:

everything about that image makes me angry, the worst I think being the super cardioid being blocked by the top flag of the mattetbox. Edit: also how is he operating there is no monitor... what the gently caress?

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2010

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

exponentory posted:

no all i'm saying is i've met people that have acted like that and it never comes across as favorable, nobody likes that I don't care what department you're in. I've met some of the nicest people on films in the camera department. I just wanna read more cool cinematography posts :)

If you one a one stop shop for good cinematography posts just head over to Roger Deakin's forum, he responds to questions almost daily.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

SquareDog posted:

So a guy walks in to our rental shop for his 5D order and asks, "Can you make a setup that will hold two cameras so I can shoot video with one and stills with the other for this music video?"

....yes, yes we can.

includes a Bartech and a 7' monitor w/video converter all on the same ridiculous rig.

this, this is the death of cinema right here

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Hey Steadiman do you know Michael Heathcote?

Also how angry does this picture make you? (stolen from a friends facebook)

From other pictures, yes he was grabbing it from the post

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
So the new NAB Alexa line up must be making red poo poo bricks right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUvQ29OsIM

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I'd compare it to a leatherman to a rock

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Can anyone explain to me what is so special about Pace and there fusion camera over most other rigs on the market? I hear that Pace is making GBS threads on all the competitors like their setups are worse than hitler and I don't see what the big deal is.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
does anyone have experience using an SI 2K mini as an A-cam? I'm thinking of using s16 lenses with it too.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
short of specialty applications and 3D, I never hear of an SI-2k or SI-2k mini being used as just a straight standard camera.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Cool bit on the camera rig being used on the new transformers movie that was designed by the place I work at.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/watch-behind-the-scenes-of-the-skydivers-from-transformers-3/

Shame they never mention that it isn't actually fusion3D/pace camera, drat james cameron taking all the glory.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

My video instructor just showed us the scene 64 editing contest on the "The Power of Few" website.

http://thepoweroffew.com/editing

Seems like an interesting opportunity, if just to have a chance to edit some professional footage.

um there is an editing thread for this kind of stuff

Finally my company released a news update so I can tell you the company. They did it before I started working there though.

http://www.3dcameracompany.com/inde...c-news&Itemid=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLpx7PQDOpI

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Just loving rent for christ sakes. Insurance isn't an excuse most low end video places will let you buy their insurance.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

I'll start taking opinions from zacutos when they stop making rods that don't loving bend never

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
How to solve ever red problem ever: shoot on alexa.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Great, another raw camera in a horrible form factor. I can't wait until Silicon Imaging releases an update to the si2k that's just a pineapple.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Had a chance to monkey with the Arri Alexa-M on set the other day.

What a weird piece of kit. It's half usable, it stills seems a long way away from being a polished Arri product, and on top of all that, it makes no sense. We couldn't think of an application outside of car shots where the separated body would make any sort of financial or cinematographic sense.
Even 3D would be a bit clunky.

Ah well.

Aerials, remote heads, process trailers, confined spaces, etc. It has it's place, but it's mainly for 3D applications. (being part designed by Pace)

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
With all this camera crap these days I'm gonna start shooting si2k out of spite.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 16, 2012

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
can someone ask black magic what the gently caress they are thinking with a smaller than 4/3 sensor with a loving EF mount? Too small for s35, too big for s16, just a stupid stupid camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
If it actually had a s16 sensor it would be attractive, not this in-between poo poo.