Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FordTimelord
Aug 11, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

can you guys talk about what the director and cinematographer relationship/interaction is like? do you guys ever shoot stills for lighting tests?

I turned down a weird AC/Photoshop position w/ the cinematographer that did Devil's Rejects. Apparently he not only does stills, but tries out a lot of his color correction ideas on an on-set laptop, which I thought was a cool idea. (I turned it down because they told me no pay after they interviewed me and offered me the job... not even a PA day-rate? gently caress off)

Personally, I never shoot stills, but I don't do a lot of heavily-stylized work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordTimelord
Aug 11, 2004

Andraste posted:

If you want a basic intro book that is really easy to read,

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Camera-Course-Video/dp/0960371818

Bare Bones Camera Course

Just seconding this. I got it years ago in Film 1 and I've lent it out to every friend who's ever shown an interest in what I do.

Also, another beginner book is "Light: Science and Magic". It's for photo work, but for a basic understanding of light a lot of it is applicable to video and film as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, Rogetz' suggestion is a good one as well. Another one you'd probably have to buy in any first year film class.

FordTimelord
Aug 11, 2004

Holybat posted:

I'm currently looking to get a Panasonic AG-HMC40 camcorder for shooting some stuff on my own. Do any of you have any preferred websites for ordering this sort of stuff?

I was going to go with Primocameras.com but they started doing this bait-and-switch saying that I ordered a "gray market" version and that the "real" version I wanted was 2000 bucks instead of the 1700 they wanted on the camera's page. So needless to say, I'd like another option for ordering online.

Pretty much everyone is going to tell you http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ . I am too.

EDIT: There are very few highly regarded video/photo/etc sites out there. Adorama is the other big one, but B&H is basically the go-to shop. The rule for all this type of equipment is if it looks like an amazing deal that you can't believe is true, or is even just a few hundred cheaper than elsewhere, then you will likely regret trying to buy your camera from them. They'll cancel your order and strong-arm you with accessories or bad warranties, or just steal your money and never send a camera.

FordTimelord fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 12, 2010