Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

BIP froze up, terrified. Franticly he scanned the giant looming monstrosity for any identifying insignia or markings. There were none.

BIP, fearing for the safety of loyal and trustworthy companion Go-Ship, climbed off its back and stumbled a few steps forward. Panic set in and BIP shut his eyes, as if to protect himself from the trauma (or lasers). Knowing he was outmatched in every way possible, BIP resolved to make peace with the beast. Hands outstretched and eyes shut tight, he stumbled forward. BIP clanged against the machines foot, fell, and climbed back up. Then he poured all the good will and love he could into a hearty friendship hug.

BIP refused to open his eyes. He could no longer move for fear that any more activity would end it all. Above him he could hear the muffled laughter of humans. At least three. (BIP's fearfulness levels have elevated)

Then the world spun and BIP went off-line. He hadn't even seen what hit him.

BIP's systems booted back online some time later. The world around him was even darker then before and no starry sky was visible. BIP tried to move his hands but found they were encased in something and restrained. BIP's back leaned up against a metallic sounding wall.

BIP deducted that he was inside something. It was being moved around quite a bit.
The noises of humans and heavy machinery could be heard outside.

Suddenly, the container that held BIP dropped and clanged hard against the ground. Light flooded through a few small holes. BIP studied his prison with the new light.

It wasn't much. Very small. It also seemed that BIP was chained to the wall. Go-Ship was no where to be seen, and his EFT was missing as well.

(BIP lost Yo-Yo and Earth Front Tracker)

Well, this was looking swell.

Something thudded hard against the side of BIP's box. It began to move and then topped before smashing several seconds later, breaking BIP's restraints and prison, and sending him toppling out into the light.

After a few minuets of lying on the floor dazed, BIP looked around.

He was in a large warehouse full of crates and industrial barrels. The only exit seemed to be a giant hatch on the ceiling.

Wait a second. BIP knew that word! Some of the crates had OIL written across them. BIP congratulated himself on excellent use of learned stuff. (BIP's pride elevated)

BIP walked around the warehouse, intent to explore his surroundings.

He boldly discovered...nothing. What a boring warehouse. Even that big machine in the background didn't have any buttons to push. Lame! BIP also discovered that He couldn't walk up the walls. They looked metallic, but were made of some synthetic metal material. No good!

With no Go-Ship or exits in sight, BIP needed to formulate a plan. Nothing in the warehouse looked particularly useful, so what could he do?

(1)Crawl back into the box. That's too much adventure for BIP to handle!
(2)Drink as much of the oil as he can, for as long as he can. That stuff looks high grade!
(3)Light fire to the oil! Opportunities are born from chaos.
(4)Make a mess and hide. That'll teach 'em! Whoever 'em are.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishakaz
Sep 22, 2004
That Russian Guy
Oh no! I helped send BIP to his doom! :ohdear:

Let go with something a bit more aggressive this time:
(3)Light fire to the oil! Opportunities are born from chaos.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dammit, I told you guys that we should've ran! Is the hatch in the roof locked? Could BIP possibly make a pile of stuff and reach the hatch? None of the options seem very good.

Option 1 is out. BIP may be a coward, but even that option's too cowardly for him! Option 2, while tempting, doesn't seem viable either. BIP has oil in his compartment, he doesn't need more. Option 3 sounded good at first, but then I realized that there's also the very high possibility of BIP burning to death. Option 4, while passive aggressive to the max, probably wouldn't do much unless the loud noise of banging oil drums together attracts attention.

All in all, option 4 is the safest method, so I'm going with that.

Katachresis
Jan 13, 2008

Takin' names and drillin'
Fun Shoe
Loot the place! It's always a good idea to explore, and we may even find more BIPs! Sure they're just button-pushers, but we can get an army of them together and push the button on the machine that will destroy the world! (Why did we build that machine again?)

I suppose that would be option four? It's the closest, anyway.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

neogeo0823 posted:

Dammit, I told you guys that we should've ran! Is the hatch in the roof locked? Could BIP possibly make a pile of stuff and reach the hatch? None of the options seem very good.

Option 1 is out. BIP may be a coward, but even that option's too cowardly for him! Option 2, while tempting, doesn't seem viable either. BIP has oil in his compartment, he doesn't need more. Option 3 sounded good at first, but then I realized that there's also the very high possibility of BIP burning to death. Option 4, while passive aggressive to the max, probably wouldn't do much unless the loud noise of banging oil drums together attracts attention.

All in all, option 4 is the safest method, so I'm going with that.

Ayup, BIP's in a pickle alright. None of the options ARE any good. Best of a bad situation options. It would take 100 BIP's to move the large heavy crates and drums to build a freedom tower.

As for the oil, it's top grade. Better then what BIP has stored away.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 11, 2009

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Welp, looks like there's only one option here.

Light a fire. :ssj:

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I'm voting option 2. My logic is that oil is like booze for robots (I don't know how or why I came to this conclusion) and this poo poo is high grade. Drink till your problems fade away, Bip.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Bip should replace his Grade B oil with top grade stuff and go on an oil drinking rampage because life is hosed, get sauced.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IS BIP capable of changing his own oil?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
If I was being kept prisoner at a top-quality buffet, I would gorge myself until I threw up. And then start eating again.

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

Hmph. They laughed at BIP and then bopped him on the robot noggin. Well better than being blasted to thousands of (cute) pieces, but still not good.

In my estimation, BIP's been kicked around for too long and it's time to strike a blow for robotkind. Burning their oil will fix their little red wagon for them, whoever they are. And when they come to put out the fire, BIP might have a chance to flee. (It's a good thing Go-Ship isn't here, robots don't care if fires suck all the oxygen out of a room they're in but bugs might find it deadly.)

Given how frazzled BIP's circuits are, sitting down in the crate and watching the fire is about all there is left to do after ignition.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Option 2 and 4. Drink our fill, replace our stocks that we have in storage, and maybe take a little extra. Then make a mess so bad they can't tell which side of the room was the floor.

Edit: Or make a mess and set it on fire. Make sure to get oil all over everything before we light it up. Empty barrels might be easier to move with our magnet hands than the full ones.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 11, 2009

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I would suggest BIP to drink all the oil and then set everything on fire, but I have a creeping feeling that BIP would end up caught on fire along with everything else :(

... but I guess that is going to happen eventually anyways, so let's have our fill before we burn this bitch to the ground.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Chaos Motor posted:

Bip should replace his Grade B oil with top grade stuff and go on an oil drinking rampage because life is hosed, get sauced.

Fuckin' A. Voting for 2, and in our oil-fueled haze, might as well muck up the place a bit.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
2 Oil the poo poo out of everything.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
2 + 3

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Fill BIP to near-bursting levels of that high grade oil and replace the grade B oil with it as well. Once BIP is thoroughly sauced have him mess up the place, use whatever oil is left to draw the crudest image that you can! Preferably something that you've seen the bad marines do before.

Voting #2 and then #4

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2 Let's get our boozingoil changing on!

Also, inventory check. We had two grenades, a rock, and a mystery object. Maybe they are still in our body.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Coming a little late to the party, but I love what I've read so far. Great work putting all the links into the OP too, made catching up much easier (although I might well go through the whole thread anyway, it's not that long)

Replacing BIP's oil with the apparently higher-grade stuff should be priority #1, we know he's already at least halfway through his current oil, and if it's as good as what that nice Worthy lady gave him, he'll be stocked for months.

Then I suppose setting fire to it might not be a bad idea. But the people who captured him don't seem to have anything too sinister in mind - they clearly don't see him as a threat (or else they wouldn't have laughed at him). Best to play the 'hapless robot' card for now. I'd sit and wait. You don't want to antogonise them!

(Also, why would they take away your yo-yo but leave your grenades? Curious. Either they don't know what grenades are ... or they just don't know about your internal compartment)

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine
The first shot of the BIP animation has been rendered and uploaded.

I probably won't upload any more video until the thing is finished, but I'll keep everyone updated with progress and screenshots. BIP is pretty simple to animate (no complex facial expressions or fingers to worry about), so I should be able to plow through this in two or three weeks.

The one bit I'm worried about is modelling the ship for the intro...

Reverend Gnome
Nov 7, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I vote for option 2.

Who knows how long it will be before BIP finds more free oil, plus we'd want to save his reserves for an absolutely dire emergency. He can hang onto the spare stuff longer if he uses what's available now.

Besides, hanging out in the open of a dusty planet can't be too good for his components, no matter how well-shielded they may be. Best to keep BIP in fighting trim.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
TWO!

Captain Spaz Hands
Sep 26, 2005

Merry Christmas, movie house!

boatiemathmo posted:

(Also, why would they take away your yo-yo but leave your grenades? Curious. Either they don't know what grenades are ... or they just don't know about your internal compartment)

I think it's not that they took away the yo-yo so much as it was they left it behind with Go-Ship, since BIP was using it for reigns.

Throwing in my vote for filling up on oil then setting fire to the rest of it. We tried being nice and timid before and it got us imprisoned. So, we might as well start blowing poo poo up. Who knows? Starting stuff on fire might help us get out of here somehow. Sure beats doing nothing. Now is the time for action.

Action and arson.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Canis Ex Machina posted:

The first shot of the BIP animation has been rendered and uploaded.

I probably won't upload any more video until the thing is finished, but I'll keep everyone updated with progress and screenshots. BIP is pretty simple to animate (no complex facial expressions or fingers to worry about), so I should be able to plow through this in two or three weeks.

The one bit I'm worried about is modelling the ship for the intro...

Glorious, except for the way I can't hear the narration over the music.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I agree with most everybody else that we should firstly replace our crappy oil with the higher grade stuff.

Could we escape the warehouse by using the device and a grenade? The same way we opened the escape pod?
If so I vote that we should then burn the place to the ground and make our escape.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Oh nooo! Go-Ship :(

I vote:

#2 drink all he can, store some away for later.
THEN
#3 burn it to the ground

Malagor
Jul 31, 2006
Voting 2

Maybe that high grade oil will give him super powers to break out!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Wow look at what you idiots did! Freeze up and hug the huge robot? Geez

It was your cowardice and failure to act that got us into this mess, now there's no one to help the humans AND the enemy (possibly) knows where they are.

Get all the flammable material in one area as much as possible, against a wall, and light that poo poo up

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
If the walls are synthetic, they might be melted like plastic by a good-sized blaze.

I say we piddle our current oil right in front of the entrance, restock with the good stuff, then start a fire.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Let them all burn.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Drink all we can, and burn the rest!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It's time we (2) Drink away our problems!

Reverend Gnome
Nov 7, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Has everyone forgotten that we're now limited to one vote per update, with no sequential votes (option x, then option y!) to muddle things, or did I just miss something?

Captain Spaz Hands
Sep 26, 2005

Merry Christmas, movie house!

Reverend Gnome posted:

Has everyone forgotten that we're now limited to one vote per update, with no sequential votes (option x, then option y!) to muddle things, or did I just miss something?

Really? I must have missed that. If that's the case, I'd say the more important action would be starting the fire. As Moto42 said, it's possible the walls are affected by fire in some way if they're not made of normal metal.

Dubious Merit
Apr 25, 2007

(2) Drink. Poor deprived little BIP can't restrain himself, now that he's suddenly surrounded by The Good Stuff.

I don't think BIP would want to start a fire, even if human jerks did put him in a box. If there were a fire there would be so much noise and confusion and yelling and people would be angry at him.

After he's full, I think BIP should check out the other crates; maybe there are other robots in them. Maybe they want to be friends! If he can't open them, he could look in or at least tap on the sides.

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?

Dubious Merit posted:

(2) Drink. Poor deprived little BIP can't restrain himself, now that he's suddenly surrounded by The Good Stuff.

I don't think BIP would want to start a fire, even if human jerks did put him in a box. If there were a fire there would be so much noise and confusion and yelling and people would be angry at him.

After he's full, I think BIP should check out the other crates; maybe there are other robots in them. Maybe they want to be friends! If he can't open them, he could look in or at least tap on the sides.

Do this.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Dubious Merit posted:

Agreed, an excellent plan! BIP could always use new friends!

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Dubious Merit posted:

I cannot see any other course of action but this.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Reverend Gnome posted:

Yeah I saw that, but an update saying:

"You change your oil. Now what?"

would be a bit of a letdown.

Would also support exploring the other crates. BIP is a friendly chap, going all pyro seems rather out of character. Looking for friendly company however would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
I'm agreeing with DM here, Drink, maybe the high grade stuff will give bip SUPER POWERS