Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Aww man, I'm finally caught up on the thread, which means I can vote, but now I'm stuck waiting for updates like the rest of the suckers...

I vote BIP uses his magic eyes and helps the marines, they're just jerks because BIP hasn't shown'em the love yet. BIP is credit to team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Oh I was meaning to ask this as well. Is anyone apposed to me going back and cleaning up the images of the earlier updates? There was a new CYOA rule thread posted by Hello Pity that said lovely mspaint cyoas would be gassed. (Not sure what happened to it. It warranted a lengthy sticky.) I'm not especially worried because I've since changed to hand drawn updates and most of my mspaints were actually not that bad, but the first two or so updates are somewhat poor quality, and I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea after a quick glance. I also don't want to deter any potential readers because of the stories initial quality.

Some people have expressed sadness at the thought of changing anything, some sort of sentimentality, so I thought I'd run it by the masses before I did that. The narration would remain the same I promise.

Edit: how about just the first update then?

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 8, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Those updates are fine, I don't think there'd be any problem with them. They're mspainty but not lovely or anything.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
There's a charm to MSPaint work that's actually good. Your work certainly fits into that category. I actually miss the older style myself. Not to say the newer is any less magnificent for that though.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Nothing says you can't update them, and put a link in ("If you would like to see the original images, click here"). Covers you from any heat you might get for having "MSPaint-like" posts at the start, and preserves the older images for those who feel attached.

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is
The operative word in new CYOA rule is 'lovely' - your drawings, even though some of them were done in MS-Paint, are far from lovely. You'll be fine leaving them the way they are.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
I thought they were nice, and really shows how far you came along the path. I say make a special "hi-def" edition of the BIP Chronicles- though I must admit, the animations being done seem an excellent method of that.

By the way, I'm pretty sure "Apprentice wizards, cute robots, and zombies" means that you specifically are being held up as an example of top shelf gaming. With Thallium seemingly MIA, I think you're the best CYOA on the forums right now, all props to update and his zombies.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

Nothing says you can't update them, and put a link in ("If you would like to see the original images, click here"). Covers you from any heat you might get for having "MSPaint-like" posts at the start, and preserves the older images for those who feel attached.

Echoing this. I think the orignal art is just fine, but if you want to post new art you can appease everyone by simply including a link to the orignals.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Will Styles posted:

Echoing this. I think the orignal art is just fine, but if you want to post new art you can appease everyone by simply including a link to the orignals.

That does sound reasonable enough. Maybe I'll just clean up the images in photoshop a bit instead of re-doing them. I've decided I like the second update and will leave that one alone.

Anyways, we digress, get voting, today is the last day to do so.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

trevalyan posted:

By the way, I'm pretty sure "Apprentice wizards, cute robots, and zombies" means that you specifically are being held up as an example of top shelf gaming. With Thallium seemingly MIA, I think you're the best CYOA on the forums right now, all props to update and his zombies.

Although theres nothing I love more than zombie madness, this poster is right on the money.

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine
Would the updated versions essentially be traced and shaded versions of the original MSPaints, or completely new drawings? I think the MSPaints do have a certain charm to them, and I don't think they should be completely scrapped. Just be careful not to go into George Lucas revisionist territory with the BIP: Special Edition. People might get upset if the Button hits BIP first.

Also, since you're updating the OP, would you remind replacing the video images (those awkward youTube grabs) with these?

Feel free to resize them if you think they're too big.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Aww, I got all excited and thought there was a video update. :(

I would say don't update the first set of images. Part of the charm of this CYOA is the multi-format style of the updates. I like how it goes from MSPaint to Lego, or real paint, to pencil, etc. etc. because it really adds charm to the entire story.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Would the updated versions essentially be traced and shaded versions of the original MSPaints, or completely new drawings? I think the MSPaints do have a certain charm to them, and I don't think they should be completely scrapped. Just be careful not to go into George Lucas revisionist territory with the BIP: Special Edition. People might get upset if the Button hits BIP first.

Also, since you're updating the OP, would you remind replacing the video images (those awkward youTube grabs) with these?

Oh lord, I keep forgetting to update the OP with everything. I haven't even linked to the third animation yet have I? Good god I should be shot. I'll get that done later tonight. Sorry Canis.

Persidian
Mar 2, 2009

by T. Finn
So um, 1. I don't post in the thread much, but I'm glad to see it's still going.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Voting Closed

Sorry if you missed it, but you can't say I didn't warn you.

OP updated somewhat.

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Speaking of which, a few of you may be wondering where I've been and why I have not been furthering BIP's cause. Well, the short answer is because I have been plowing most of my free time in to the final stages of my most recent album, which I am happy to annouce is now finished. There's a thread up with a link to download it and if any of you enjoyed the music in Canis's awesome videos then please do have a listen. I think you'll find the styles are not a million miles apart. I promise I'll be back on the BIP train ASAP.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You forgot to include the BIP Thriller video.

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine

Alea Minerva posted:

I promise I'll be back on the BIP train ASAP.

Good to hear. I take it this means you got my email? Looking forward to giving the new album a listen, downloading it now.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You forgot to include the BIP Thriller video.

Well if you absolutely insist...

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Good to hear. I take it this means you got my email?

Nope. Just a happy coincidence.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Well if you absolutely insist...

:swoon: :glomp:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
7 daaaaaaaaays.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

7 daaaaaaaaays.

I know. I'm sorry. Photoshop crashed and corrupted the saves. I had to start from scratch this morning. I'm aiming for Friday. Then after that I'll do another medium shift. I haven't abandoned BIP don't worry. Infact I have big ol' plans.

I just hope everyone is still interested.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Of course!
:D

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cheap Shot posted:

I just hope everyone is still interested.
Ofcourse :)

By the way cheap shot - Did all the parts I sent work? I didn't test them all so I wasn't 100% sure they were all good. I knew one piece out of the case was dead, and assumed power supply, but didn't take the time to figure it out for sure cause I had a few newer computers lying around to use for my projects.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Here, look at this while I salvage and redraw things. Isn't this funky? I didn't put that there!

I'll get back to you on that Cryptic. I haven't figured out how to put in all of it yet. I'm not too hardware savvy.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ah, lol, take your time then.

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine
Holy crap.

I was exploring the old Goon City project, when I stumbled upon this:

Cheap Shot's Free Range Robot Farm...

And look who's there...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Holy crap.

I was exploring the old Goon City project, when I stumbled upon this:

I KNEW he looked familiar when I first saw him!! :monocle:

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Nice find Canis. I hope Cheap Shot had this CYOA in mind when first made that, and he reveals all of this to us when the "Making of BIP" documentary is released.

Also...

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm aiming for Friday.

That's today!! :woop::dance::fap::neckbeard:

I can't wait!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Dunno bout you guys, but the R2D2 with a hairpiece is crackin me up.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Will Styles posted:

:woop::dance::fap::neckbeard:
One of these things is not like the other.
Here's a clue, the title of this thread is not "Little Robot, Big Sexy World".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tesla was right posted:

One of these things is not like the other.
Here's a clue, the title of this thread is not "Little Robot, Big Sexy World".

Says the guy with the robot sex avatar! :gonk:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Says the guy with the robot sex avatar! :gonk:

Keep posting in CYOAs, and you may find yourself amongst our ranks.

Joinnnnn ussssss. :roboluv:

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

This is great, I was worried this thread was dying. I will be :f5: all day now.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok guys, it's Friday evening. The night is young, the breeze is cool, and the moon is out. Downtown, the bars are filling up and the alcohal is flowing. Here in the thread, at least a couple dozen goons are happily awaiting an update from Cheap Shot.

Tonight's gonna rock. :rock:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

:siren:HERE IT IS!:siren:

Plan NC-12 wins the round. There will be less text and more pretty pictures this update. I bet you all missed COLOUR!!! Each picture will be more colourful then the last.
---

BIP stood and thought to himself. There could still be enemies in the camp! Maybe he should hide with the sniper? BIP thought about that, but decided against it. Last time he looked for the sniper, he ended up getting captured and thrown into a rock.

He still had the rock in fact.

Another plan formulated in BIP's little mind. He had a clever idea! BIP ran off looking for any bright coloured goop. He found what he was looking for in the engineering tent. Paint! Lots of paint of all different colours! The Marines were using it to colour their armor. BIP hoped they wouldn't miss a can of purple.

Running outside the tent, BIP switched on his Ultra Vision to look for more threats.

Oh. There were quite a few of them. BIP set his resolve, cracked the lid on the paint can, and began to kick rear end.

SPLOOSHYAH!

The invisible enemies had been mostly ignoring BIP, thinking they were transparent to his eyes, but oh no, not today bad guys. BIP coated each one in a healthy purple glow. The vigilant marines in the area picked up on the situation quickly. They were out for revenge for the marines that had been involuntarily put to sleep. BIP waved his arms around in the direction of each exposed enemy.

Green bolts of energy sprayed all over. BIP's stealthy purple foes took cover, but were sitting ducks with their cover exposed. The sniper was wasting no time putting down each target. NOW WHO'S SLEEPING?

An alien assassin near by BIP exploded and fell to the ground to dream.

YAY!

The creatures battled back, but were little match for the marines once visible. BIP had foiled their nefarious plans. BIP strutted through the camp, basking in the praise and thanks heaped upon him by the once arrogant marines. Now everyone was BIP's friend.

BIP stopped at the radio tent and peered in, hoping to catch some current events. Maybe they were telling people how great he was?

The radio crackled in, "Marine base, this is Triton Command. Our ship is now in orbit and ready to receive all refuges. A team of Fighters are due at your location in one minute. Clear the area around your camp so we can suppress the surrounding area of hostiles."

BIP looked outside the tent, just in time to see the fighters scream past overhead.

The marine working the transmitter spoke up as others around him entered the information into computers. "Triton Command, this is acting Marine Line Operator Williams. Delay that land suppression five minuets. First Commander Ship Captain Andrew West is inbound with several marine captains in a stolen local transport."

He waited for a few moments for a reply.

"Understood. Six minutes till sand planet landscaping."

If BIP heard correctly, a bus full of captains were headed right to him! He'd be able to finish the mission...whats his name...blue marine captain guy gave him!

BIP ran out to the edge of the camp, being careful not to get in the marines way. They were doing a full sweep of the camp, taking out awake bad guys and disarming most of BIP's traps. The ones they could figure out anyway.

BIP sat and waited.

On the horizon, BIP spotted something. It was a badguy bus! That must be the captains. BIP waved his arms around in delight, and tried to flag down the transport. It slowed before it arrived at the camp, and stopped nearby. BIP ran towards it as the door opened and marines started to file out.

Captains! So many captains! There were at least a dozen. There was a man with them. He was slightly bruised and looked tired, and his arms were coated in glowing tubes and technology. BIP remembered this man. He had met him six months ago. The day he was activated and awoke alone, in a bloody room, with no one to instruct him.

BIP had ran from the room, and bumped into a team of marines. They filed inside while one of them stayed with BIP, writing a message. BIP was ordered to deliver the message canister to the bridge. BIP had accepted it and run aimlessly through the ship, to find who to message was for.

It was at the bridge that BIP met Ship Captain Andrew West.

He stood on a glowing circle of light, commanding the ships systems, pausing only to take sips of wine from a beautiful crystal glass. He had accepted the message personally, thanking BIP. The messages content had saddened him greatly.

"So he's been murdered?" He whispered quietly, before turning to BIP. "I see you are his handy work. The latest model it seems. Amazing flawless design as always. I wonder if he accomplished his life's work before passing on? We shall find out in time. Allow me to reassign you. Go down to the chem labs and report to the Head Scientist for further orders." BIP looked at his feet and turned to leave. But was halted by the captains words.

"Wait." he said. "Once more order." BIP turned to the captain and stood straight.

"In all that you do, I command you to excel, and for all your potential I command you to exceed every expectation. That is all." BIP ran and hugged the leg of the captain before running out of the bridge.

And now before him, stood the man who had encouraged him to grow, all that time ago. He stood looking down at BIP, with two marines at either of his sides.

Triton fighters zoomed past, carpet bombing the land behind them. BIP looked up at the captain in awe.

"Hello again BIP," he said. "Have you followed my orders?"

OPTIONS
Choose one from both sets.

SET ONE:
(1)Hand over the Important device. So many captains! So many captains!
(2)Save the important device to surprise them with later! They might pay more attention to the device then BIP!

SET TWO:
(a)Hug the captain.
(b)Salute the captain.
(c)Entertain the captain.
(d)Shake the captains hand.
(e)Share your loot with the captain.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 19, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
We can hand it over later (2). Right now let's just give him a biiiiiiig hug! (a)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hug first, then device. Almost nothing is more important than handing that device to him. So, A then 1, in that order. BIP may not get as much attention as that device straight away, but he will definately get more attnetion later for handing it over now.

Actually, would it be possible to hug the captain, then as BIP finishes the hug, pull away into a salute? That would just be adorable. :3:

Also, yay, color! :dance:

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Well obviously we have to give hugsies (a)! And I think there's probably too much going on right now to give the device away, let's wait a bit to hand over the device (2) . Plus it's so important, maybe we want to be alone with the captain and we can have a "talk" with him when we give him the device. Then we can find out what it is, and maybe he'll give us more info about our past and such!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Hmm, that last image was supposed to be bigger. drat.

I'd almost forgotten about the robot ranch in goon city. My how the time flies. Are you guys as happy as I am that an update just happened? Cause I'm so happy.

Edit: I went back to make the last image bigger. It is now bigger. Go look at how big it is.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 19, 2009