Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Flanker posted:

Option 2 wins by a billion points. Barring disaster, update will occur late tomorrow.

Maybe BIP shall happen upon a Hipower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine
I've got about 15 seconds left to animate, I should be able to have the animated version of chapter one finished later this week. To whet your appetites, here's the title screen and a bit of BIP's freakout.

Also, Cheap Shot and Alea Minerva, do you guys want to be credited with your screen names or your real names(probably as a combo, i.e. Fred "Cheap Shot" Smith, but it's up to you)?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I really can't wait to see the final product on this, it looks like it's come along awesomely.

Also, think we could get some desktop resolution sized shots of the title card? I would like to have that as a background.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Gah that looks amazing! When will it be out? I must have.

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Canis Ex Machina posted:

Feckin' amazing looking pictures.

I'll go by Arron "Alea Minerva" McIntyre if that's cool. So cannot wait to see this baby in action. I think I'm going to call it a day on the song making though. The first one had over 600 plays in a week whereas the 2nd one's not even hit 200 in the same time. By that logic the 3rd one will probably just slip by un-noticed. The 2nd one is a lot better in my opinion but oh well :(

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Alea Minerva posted:

I think I'm going to call it a day on the song making though. The first one had over 600 plays in a week whereas the 2nd one's not even hit 200 in the same time. By that logic the 3rd one will probably just slip by un-noticed. The 2nd one is a lot better in my opinion but oh well :(

I don't know if audio is your field or just a hobby but frankly I think you should continue to make songs (if the idea still interests you, I certainly understand the work involved). If not for us, make them for yourself, I mean the work is great and worth showing to people at the end of the day. Especially if audio is your field I think it is awesome portfolio work.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Holy crap, those screen shots of the animated version look wonderful. Can't wait to see it in action.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

James "Cheap Shot" Claus-Nesbitt is a bit wordy, Maybe James "Cheap Shot" C-N? Your call.
Looks amazing so far. Does the trance freak out portion of the animation have the jumbley language streaming out in rays? It doesn't have to, I'm just wondering what direction you went with it. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

And Alea Minerva, I think you should keep going with this. It's excellent. If you want some constructive criticism though, I think maybe the first was better due to its music to speech ratio. The first had a lot of instrumental and less talking. I think the second one might have been too wordy and less musical. Take that as you will. Im sure not everyone has the same opinion. I think you should make the soundtrack less about my writing, and more about your music. That being said, lets hear some more music!

Im seconding the request for desktop sized images for backgrounding.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
So I watched every episode of Red Dwarf. And I also read throu8gh the whole thread. I have no idea what happened afterward. I claim no responsibility.

And here's the same shameful picture without the half-assed BG.

EDIT: Table-breaking.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Canis Ex Machina posted:

A slightly animated loop of this image would be kickass. I want to make it a vista .dream desktop image. Like with the stars twinkling, a little motion to the logo, maybe a little motion to the flare of the star and/or motion to the ground.

Edit - All I need for this is nearly any video file (WMV or MPG prefered) on a short 30 second or so loop of it. Ill ofcourse return the favor by posting the finished .dream file for those who want an animated verson as the desktop. :D

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 24, 2009

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Cheap Shot posted:

I think you should make the soundtrack less about my writing, and more about your music. That being said, lets hear some more music!

To be honest, I really wanted to focus on the music more but I wasn't sure if people would still find it relevant. I guess as long as the relevant sound effects are in there it'd still have the right feel to fit the scene and save an awful lot of effort (and therefore get the songs finished quicker). Fair enough, I'll make the 3rd one the way I was thinking and if people like them wih less narration and dialogue then I'd be happy to keep going.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to say I've made my own CYOA thread of sorts, 'Create Your Own Album'. If anyone here liked the music in the first two songs, pop on over:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3159001

Alea Minerva fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 24, 2009

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Screaming Idiot posted:

So I watched every episode of Red Dwarf. And I also read throu8gh the whole thread. I have no idea what happened afterward. I claim no responsibility.

And here's the same shameful picture without the half-assed BG.

EDIT: Table-breaking.

Boys from the Dwarf! :3:

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine

Cheap Shot and Alea Minerva posted:

Names

Thanks for that info, guys.

Desktop size as requested. 1680x1050. Not animated though.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

I'm pretty much on track to having the finished product done by the end of the week, though I have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works by buying myself a new TV and a copy of Red Faction Guerilla. This week is going to be all about self control...

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Click here for the big rear end image.

This is what that would replace. Imagine that in motion, constantly rotating, and actually accurate with the lights to the time of day. When its day out in florida, the sunlight is on it and the lights from the cities are out. Its actually pretty cool, but its time for change. (yes my background moves)

Edit - For those that want the one I have now (no, the mouse isnt in the way on the real one, that was just part of my SS) you can DL it here http://fe4r.me/images/dreams/Desktop%20Earth.Dream

Both the SS and the .dream file hosting are on my host.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 24, 2009

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ataru13 posted:

Boys from the Dwarf! :3:

I was hoping we'd have a Red Dwarf fan or three here on GBS! I dunno why, it just seemed like it fit the topic so well.

Should I have added the skutters? :ohdear:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Should I have added the skutters? :ohdear:
A robotic version of a robot? :psyduck:

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

Flanker posted:

Option 2 wins by a billion points. Barring disaster, update will occur late tomorrow.

:ohdear: i wonder what the disaster was!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

theparag0n posted:

Give disaster time to blossom.

edit: Waffle is being very picky about what images it wants to display. I'm going back and discovering holes in my story. Rehosted the missing images from update 11. I'll go back and patch up the rest while we wait for update 12. It'll be neat.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 24, 2009

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cheap Shot posted:

Give disaster time to blossom.

Like an onion, or a turd. A quality member of any three will bring a tear to your eye.

edit: The above is not intended to compare Bip or the story to a turd in any way.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Re-hosted all the missing images. If anyone goes back to re-read, let me know if there's any images missing that you remember, or especially if any more go missing. I may end up re-hosting them all as painstaking as that would be.

Grimnak
Dec 19, 2006

Alea Minerva posted:

I'll go by Arron "Alea Minerva" McIntyre if that's cool. So cannot wait to see this baby in action. I think I'm going to call it a day on the song making though. The first one had over 600 plays in a week whereas the 2nd one's not even hit 200 in the same time. By that logic the 3rd one will probably just slip by un-noticed. The 2nd one is a lot better in my opinion but oh well :(

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm impatient, and I don't want to just listen to part of something and then wait for the rest to come out. I'm waiting for the whole Bip concept album to be finished so I can listen to the songs all together in a row.

I hope you don't call it quits, but do what you've gotta do.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

theparag0n posted:

I am a fat lazy whore. Story is scripted and drawn, images scanned...

this update is going to happen tonight AT ALL COSTS!

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I should start mirroring the images on my host. I have unlimited bandwith (my control panel litterally has ∞ listed in the bandwith limit and storage limit section)

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Option (2) wins.

It was dark, and BIP was in a hurry. He grabbed some scraps and headed towards the closest Earth Front signal. He paused in valley to go over the wreckage he lugged with one arm. His estimates were correct, the pieces of metal fit well. He now had an additional layer of protection. His vision was blocked only slightly, he pressed on through the dark, rocky terrain. But wait, what's that? Lifting his visor for a better view, BIP knew he had to hurry towards that movement he saw.

Yes! It was him! BIP found GO SHIP, the yo yo reigns were unmistakable!

This took a bit of time off BIP's journey. Embedded in a valley, BIP could make out the outlines of one of the Plethora's escape pods. As he approached, BIP heard a human voice;
"What the gently caress is that?"

Surely BIP's appearance was strange, with his missing arm and extra armor. It would be clear when he got closer.

BIP dismounted GO SHIP and approached the pod. There was no one to be found. Not in the pod or near it. Perplexing.

Searching further, BIP found one of his fellow assembled crewmen. It appeared to be a VESH unit. From the looks of it, it escaped the ship without the comfort of a pod. Maybe he was sucked out behind one. BIP noticed that the VESH units had the same arms he did. BIP regretfully rotated an intact arm off the smashed torso and replaced his arm. The color scheme was off, and not quite as compatible as his old arm, but it was still a functional limb. BIP placed the broken halves of his old arm in his chest compartment. He double checked his EFT readouts again. He was in the right spot but there were no humans here. But BIP's memory audio logs confirmed a human voice was heard. BIP sat on a rock and was placing his helmet on when he felt compelled to gaze at the brilliant night sky and contemplate his mission, his existence and all things...

...but before BIP could slip into another swirl of self awareness he noticed something odd. Four shooting stars? In a symmetrical pattern? Zooming in he could make out..humans? They were wearing heavy heat shielding, which cooled fast. Once they were black against the sky, BIP switched to his night vision, and watched the four parachutes get closer and closer.

BIP watched the four humans dump their burned shielding, unpack weapons and supplies all the while either ignoring BIP or not noticing him. They began moving in his direction. BIP was confused, none of the men looked like Marines, and they didn't look like the Bad Humans. One of them called out to BIP;
"Johnson you said this DZ was clear! What the hell is that thing?"

A rock next to BIP yelled back,
"It looks like an EF bot, probably harmless."

It suddenly occurred to BIP that rocks can't talk. He turned to see a fifth human wearing some kind of covering that made him look like rocks. And then the sky. BIP could only see parts of his hands and face, and a really big rifle! There were now five humans standing around BIP looking at him.

BIP saw the symbol on the chests of the men who fell from the sky. It wasn't a Marine rank. BIP didn't know what it meant.

"Hey little guy, can you talk?....No? That's ok. Are you from the EF Ship Plethora? We're trying to help. We could spot this escape pod from orbit. Do you know where they went?"

(1) GUN DANGEROUS GO GO GO (Try to escape)
(2) GO NO GO WARNING DATA GO (Lead them in the wrong direction)
(3) YES, HELP DOCTOR GO MARINES (Lead them to the second EF signal)
(4) NO OIL NO OIL NO OIL (Spark up and play dead)

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
(3)

Maybe they can help!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I think that even though there is a possibility that these humans might not be entirely friendly with the EF, Bip should try to get them to help. We've already wasted time here and the people we left behind aren't going to be in any better condition.

Maybe lead them near there, get them to wait and draw their insignia for our EF friends to see if they're cool, but regardless we can't wait much longer.

Voting 3

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Seems dangerous so let's (4) Play dead, listen in (and hopefully soulsearch). I don't think these are bad guys but a little recon for free is never bad.

Reverend Gnome
Nov 7, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Voting for 3!

We only had, what? A single day estimated for how long the injured crewmembers could survive without help? It's already nightfall on the second day. Whether or not these new humans are good or bad, it's a risk Bip will have to take.

Besides, the Earth Front marines could probably take these new guys if they were hostile, considering how easily they held off the Bad Humans. Perhaps something useful could be found on their bodies once they were dispatched? Emergency first aid supplies, maybe?

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

It's time for BIP to be a cunning and clever little robot. The way these soldiers are talking they're certainly not Earth Front but they're acting like friends. BIP needs to test them! First he needs to play dead, hopefully while making piteous noises and writing OIL in the dirt. We'll see if they're nice people or not. Nice people give robots oil.

If they're nice to BIP he should lead them to the second pod location, and if not BIP should fake an injury or mime like he's repairing the pod and see if he can be left behind, then escape.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Those left at the first escape pod are as good as dead without help soon. Even if these new people are hostile, it's a necessary risk. It's like if someone is having a heart attack. If you do nothing, they are dead. So stomping on their chest is better than doing nothing (That was what one of the people present when I learned CPR said).

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Voting 3, and get them to identify themselves as EF first like BIP did with the first marines.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
voting 4, but I have a question. During this fake error can BIP display a blue screen of death? That would make it more believable.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Option 3.
"What's that? Timmy has fallen down the well?"

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Option 4. they seem nice, but that's not reason enough to trust them. it can't hurt to play dead for a little bit and test their true niceness :)

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Zarimus posted:

It's time for BIP to be a cunning and clever little robot. The way these soldiers are talking they're certainly not Earth Front but they're acting like friends. BIP needs to test them! First he needs to play dead, hopefully while making piteous noises and writing OIL in the dirt. We'll see if they're nice people or not. Nice people give robots oil.

If they're nice to BIP he should lead them to the second pod location, and if not BIP should fake an injury or mime like he's repairing the pod and see if he can be left behind, then escape.

Absolutely this. Especially this piteous noises!

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Voting (2).

Only marines are to be trusted, like the one who gave us the device. These may be humans, but they're no marines and are not to be trusted. Think quick BIP, feed them info about GO-SHIP

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
option 3

We need to save the nice people.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
(3) YES, HELP DOCTOR GO MARINES

These guys seem alright.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's do (3). If they're bad they'll get killed as they get near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

LOOK! An update that isn't from me! Man it was nice to take a break. Updating this thing is an rear end pile of work as Flanker undoubtedly now knows.

Nice work on the update Flanker. You done BIP proud.

Just to clarify, (4) in no way means that BIP is running out of oil.