Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I should quickly add for those who might be discouraged by the constantly changing voting systems; please just do whatever you feel comfortable doing. You can skip the tactical stuff, and just pick a number if you want to. Don’t sweat it. I find a way to count everything in the end.

Also sorry for that really late update. :( A shameful OP.
I was very very busy but wanted this update to be really good. Hope it’s ok. Have fun and keep up all the awesome contributions. They’re amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Cheap Shot posted:

I should quickly add for those who might be discouraged by the constantly changing voting systems; please just do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

You sure know how to give youself extra work. I reckon, in my first vote I might add, that we go to the crash site with the Tritons. I just wanna see if the dude that helped us in the beginning survived the crash. Oh and before anyone else points it out, we're gonna need to pick up that Odd Rock. BIP: Buttons and Rocks.

e: Oh and forgot to say I'm very impressed with the sheer scale of that update on limited resources. Bravo.

Daemonette
Aug 19, 2008

by Peatpot
Loving that glowing purple peace sign on the end of the minigun :v:

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

Oh yeah, now that's an update. We have danger, excitement, revelation, more danger, BIG FARKING GUNS (with peace signs), BIP going into a Voltron form with a marine, and finally some resolution and a wide open set of choices.

I'm torn between the option to go investigate with the Triton folks or to investigate on BIP's own. Going with the Triton folk does bring a certain measure of firepower for protection, but they also seem to draw down a lot of conflict on themselves. BIP alone might be marginally safer since nobody in this battle has yet demonstrated robocidal tendencies. Well except for the giant bugs - even if their acid can't destroy BIP, metal barrier shredding claws can't be too healthy.

By the way, BIP should feel proud for spotting the first signs of the giant bug attack, if he hadn't warned the marines those wounded would have been bug snacks long before help arrived.

I think BIP should strike out on his own on Go-Ship and investigate that crash site. Apparently everyone's heading there to be rescued by the incoming ship, so there's a good chance BIP can find a ranking marine to hand the important device to (which he definitely should be working towards). BIP might be able to find out what that black tendril stuff is too from people at the crash site, they're likely to be talking about it at least.

If he's going off on his own though, BIP needs to secure some hero robot gear. First he needs to score one of those Triton stealth cloaks. Second he should find an empty drink bottle or canteen and collect some of that glowing acid goo that came from the gooshed bugs - this might require testing a few bottles and canteens to find something the goo won't melt through.

Finally BIP does need to think about some sort of weapon for protection. No plasma torches, fire bad! No grenades, explosions bad! That marine laser gatling cannon was pretty sweet but as awesome as it would be I don't think mounting one on Go-Ship is a reasonable plan. Hey, maybe there's a spare pistol lying around near one of the sleeping people? BIP hasn't yet hilariously failed with a handgun, who's to say he won't be a robotic desperado? Don't tell me his lack of fingers will be a drawback, I'm sure he'll figure it out when he needs to. Surely.

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
(4)Explore the crash on go-ship.

And keep the device close because that is probably what everyone is looking for on the ship...Including the Black Tendrils...

false flag post-op fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 2, 2009

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Warren Zevon posted:

And...Hmmm...Between reading and responding, the option presented about what to do with the device is gone.

And lastly, an optional vote, If BIP finds a Marine Captain, he should…

(a) Hand the Important Device over.
(b) Hide the Important Device until later.

Ah well, we are instructed to give it to the right person, so that is what we shall do!

Unless the person gives us reason not to.
And they're all probably searching the Plethora for the device, so keep it close.

Yah, that's exactly why I removed it. No use making up our little robot mind now when we will probably have to change it later.

That and there's not been a lot of response yet, so I wanted to simplify things.
Could easily be just because that update was so loving huge that everyone is still reading it though. I shall just have to wait and see.

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
VVVVVVVVVVVVV Bip gets the music, man!

false flag post-op fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2009

griliard
May 12, 2006

Cheap Shot posted:

BIP has 28 minuets of free time before the ship arrives.

Minuet 17

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009
^^^ Haha, I was wondering who'd point that out. I didn't want to play typo-police but you made it work.

Cheap Shot posted:

edit 2: Took out some complicated crap and simplified the voting portion.

I think that was for the best.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

BIP needs to pick up some grenades, scrap metal, that rock, and oil. Then, if there's still some time, distribute a few hugs to the civilians.

After that, Option 3.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Junk Science posted:

BIP needs to pick up some grenades, scrap metal, that rock, and oil. Then, if there's still some time, distribute a few hugs to the civilians.

After that, Option 3.

Seconding this. He should probably contemplate his systems while he rides with them.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

GBS, keepin me on mah toes.

edit: Finished the OP. I think it looks pretty nice. I'd love to get some feedback on it. I'm trying to make this thread as easy to hop into as possible. Adorable robot's are 50% of that, but the OP is probably the other half.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 2, 2009

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
3) go with the Tritons

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009

Cheap Shot posted:

GBS, keepin me on mah toes.

edit: Finished the OP. I think it looks pretty nice. I'd love to get some feedback on it. I'm trying to make this thread as easy to hop into as possible. Adorable robot's are 50% of that, but the OP is probably the other half.

Looks awesome to me. That said, I might just be saying that because I apper in most of the poo poo up at the top of it :D If I were casually stumbling opon this thread, the OP would definately hold my interest.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Daemonette posted:

Loving that glowing purple peace sign on the end of the minigun :v:

2nding this. It's like the Redeemer weapon from UT2K4, a miniature, steerable, rocket-nuke with "Eat this!" written on the end of it. Or the Flak Cannon from the same game, which shoots shrapnel shells with smiley faces painted on them. :swoon:

As for the vote, I think BIP should take some scrap metal to test how corrosive the bug goop is. I say this because we have yet to actually see it dissolve anything yet. If it does work as a highly corrosive substance, then grab a jar of bug goop. Not a can or thermos, mind you, but a jar, if poosible. The nice thing about having a jar of it, other than the implication of a metal armor dissolving grenade, is thar the jar will then double as a night light for scary dark areas. :3:

Beyond that, check and resupply your stock of oil, take some extra bits of scrap metal, and as many grenades as you can safely carry, then spend the rest of the time doing systems checks, and analysing yourself to try and find out more about your systems and the deactivated sensors you currently have.

Concerning what to do when you get to the crash, I'm torn between helping the marines and going in the ship with the mercs. On the one hand, you can help the one armed marine operate the pretty blue-light-making toy again. On the other, there's sure to be danger and excitement inside the ship with the mercs, and they could probably use the extra grenades, light source, and in an emergency, the corrosive goop.

You know what, voting option 3.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Let's not forget the importance of understanding damaged systems and deactivated sensors.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're good at finding things. 3

Don't forget to hug some civilians and to salute some marines before leaving.

Dubious Merit
Apr 25, 2007

While we're waiting, let's find/make a better harness for Go-Ship. Maybe there's some extra webbing or straps around. If the civilians are leaving extra food behind, let's find out what Go-Ships eat.

We certainly need to pencil in some introspection time, but right now we need to tend to our little buddy.

At the site, I vote we (2) Help the Marines. The closer we stick to the Marines, the more likely we are to find a Marine Captain, and then we can safely pass on our Important Device.

katiekawaii
Mar 1, 2007

"Call your mother! It's been weeks, she misses you!"
\
:backtowork:
I don't think anyone has voted for it yet, but I think (1) could be very interesting. I don't think these Marines, well trained as Marines tend to be, are going to give up any information they don't want us to have. But civs gossip. And I think we could learn a lot about what's going on by eavesdropping around the civs.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
(2) help the marines I have a feeling the triton folks are looking for the device that is stored safe within our metal carapace, we shouldn't be around when either they can't find it or check the security footage and find out we have it.

While we wait we should grab a jar of bug juice, some oil and as many grenades as we can carry. I can't stress the importance of the grenades enough, they're the only weapon we actually know how to use.

If we have time we should contemplate our system functions and try to break through our fire phobia.

Red54
Dec 4, 2008
BIP should look around the area with the oil and food, to see if there are any nice things that the humans would like of that BIP could use.
Then (4).

Darardusaki
Mar 25, 2005

"And God said, 'let there be piggyback rides,' and there were piggyback rides, and He saw that they were good."
Not on the list but I'm actually going to suggest exploring the cave with the bugs. After all, they don't affect us, and there might be something interesting back there.

If not, I will vote for this:

neogeo0823 posted:

As for the vote, I think BIP should take some scrap metal to test how corrosive the bug goop is. I say this because we have yet to actually see it dissolve anything yet. If it does work as a highly corrosive substance, then grab a jar of bug goop. Not a can or thermos, mind you, but a jar, if poosible. The nice thing about having a jar of it, other than the implication of a metal armor dissolving grenade, is thar the jar will then double as a night light for scary dark areas.

Beyond that, check and resupply your stock of oil, take some extra bits of scrap metal, and as many grenades as you can safely carry, then spend the rest of the time doing systems checks, and analysing yourself to try and find out more about your systems and the deactivated sensors you currently have.

Concerning what to do when you get to the crash, I'm torn between helping the marines and going in the ship with the mercs. On the one hand, you can help the one armed marine operate the pretty blue-light-making toy again. On the other, there's sure to be danger and excitement inside the ship with the mercs, and they could probably use the extra grenades, light source, and in an emergency, the corrosive goop.

You know what, voting option 3.

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine
I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry.

I made this, basically as an animation exercise. Unfortunately it didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped, as I tend to animate stuff quite quickly, and the subject matter really required a bit more patience and attention. Still, it's not completely horrible, so I figured I'd upload it, and draw a bit of extra attention to BIP by capitalising on recently popular search terms...

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Canis Ex Machina posted:

I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry.

I made this, basically as an animation exercise. Unfortunately it didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped, as I tend to animate stuff quite quickly, and the subject matter really required a bit more patience and attention. Still, it's not completely horrible, so I figured I'd upload it, and draw a bit of extra attention to BIP by capitalising on recently popular search terms...

Ahaha, that is brilliant!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh my god, I've finally found internet Nirvana and it's an adorable robot doing the Thriller dance. Thank you so, so, so much for fulfilling me.

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
i'd have to say option number 3! Might be able to find some cool gear with the tritons, plus I like the Tritons :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Chaos Motor posted:

Let's not forget the importance of understanding damaged systems and deactivated sensors.
^^^ Free time is spent thinking about this.

After that we continue helping the orange marine by being his custom-master-class grade button pusher.

Stay away from the Tritons when theres no marines around. They talk about strange things.

quote:

“Yes. We defiantly need him. There’s something not quite right about this robot. If Earth Front has made breakthroughs in robotics, who knows how out of date our files are on them. I believe we should be able to work something good into the contract, get our hands on who knows what kind of technological advances. If the Earth Front won’t accept our proposition, well…maybe that robot could end up being collateral or something?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Some of that free time should be spent looking at the med stuff to see if there's anything that would make humans feel better if they start leaking. Hugs are great, but they're not a cureall.

As for what we should do once the dropship lands, how close are the marines going to be to the civs? If it's a reasonable walking distance (or maybe a short ride on Go Ship), I say we alternate between the two, because who knows where we'd be most useful? If the marines are a ways away, then gently caress it, go with the Tritons. They'll need us more because who knows what they'll see and what a plucky robot can do for them?

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
Yay! Update!

Right then. First of all, the obvious: Pick Up Odd Rock.

Now, a question: How are the dry food and water rations packed? If they're standard MREs and water bottles, taking a few would probably be a good idea - While BIP doesn't need it himself, you never know. Also, Go-Ship might like the food - And our trusty mount deserves a snack!

Next on the agenda (Let's assume 5 minutes rummaging around in the food/water crates, 23 minutes left) would be to take Go-Ship's Yo-Yo Reigns and see if we can somehow explain to one of the humans that we need to learn to tie a knot. Maybe draw a loop, a yo-yo and a question mark on the pad and show it around?

And last, if time permitting, gather some of the goop that the metal-eating bugs left. Use an emptied water bottle (Assuming that if something corrodes/rusts metal it can be safely kept in a plastic bottle).

Once all that is done, take a ride with the evac ship and [1] - Hide with the civilians in the bunker. If nothing bad happens (I can dream, can I?) spend the time learning some more words, listening to the people, that sort of thing.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

This is a pretty pivotal vote here for many reasons. If anyone isn't planning on voting, you might want to consider it.

I don't know why but I'd like to see them finish the thriller dance...Don't finish it though, there are more important things.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I think (3) looks the most interesting right now...

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!

Dubious Merit posted:

While we're waiting, let's find/make a better harness for Go-Ship. Maybe there's some extra webbing or straps around. If the civilians are leaving extra food behind, let's find out what Go-Ships eat.

We certainly need to pencil in some introspection time, but right now we need to tend to our little buddy.

At the site, I vote we (2) Help the Marines. The closer we stick to the Marines, the more likely we are to find a Marine Captain, and then we can safely pass on our Important Device.

I like this, Go-Ship is a mystery that needs to be better understood.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Semper Fi! The marines need all the help they can get, and they're the ones that have buttons that make the bad people go away.

(2)Help the marines defend the flagarea.

Plus, as pointed out, Important Device needs to get to a marine captain. Even though Bip doesn't work for them, the little guy knows full well he doesn't want the marines mad at him for taking it from them. Marines will hurt the hell out of him if they're mad.

E: Oh and I suppose with that free time, Bip ought to not only ensure Go-Ship's harness is secured properly, he ought to also make sure the marines will let him bring Go-Ship with them. He's a bug afterall. Marines were just killing bugs. Oh and grab some nades. Those came in handy last time.

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 2, 2009

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Voting 2. It's probably not a good idea to be alone with the tritons, especially since we are not Earth Front property at the moment.

Also, another vote in support of arming ourselves with a real weapon and some acid bug drool.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I think we should snag some MREs and water (just in case), and go with the marines. Because BIP is a bad-rear end.

mushoo
Jul 9, 2003

Pork pork pork.
2 - Help the Marines

Also, from the supply crates, locate and grab some rope, and some duct tape. And get some snacks for Go-ship.

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is
It's starting to become clear that BIP needs a weapon of some sort. Fire is out unless he can overcome his phobia in the next 28 minutes. He's already got some pretty good experience with grenades - grab a few of those and stick 'em storage (don't open your compartment in a manner that would allow anyone else to see inside).

We also made a mental note that BIP needs to learn how to tie a knot. BIP is developing some language skills, perhaps now would be a good time for some introspection and systems analysis to determine if BIP has any hardware that would allow for speech synthesis, and if so, how to get those systems working.

Also, bottle up some of that bug juice if anything can be found that will contain it.

Once the transport arrives, stay with the marines. I'm guessing that whatever it is the Triton guys are being paid to retrieve is inside BIP, and it may or may not be good to have them find it either way. Hopefully BIP can find a captain with the rest of the marines and properly deliver the item. If there is no captain to be found, go exploring the crash site with Go-Ship! BIP won't be much use in a firefight, but maybe we can learn more about what happened once the ship hit atmosphere and things went to poo poo.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Also, maybe we should take some of this time to ponder our systems some.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I should probably point out that the orange marine knows BIP has the important device. The Tritons are probably being contracted to find something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is

Cheap Shot posted:

I should probably point out that the orange marine knows BIP has the important device. The Tritons are probably being contracted to find something else.

Ah, OK. Something else important then! Either way, I still like the idea of sticking with the marines over the mercs.