Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Wet Bandit posted:

CheapShot alright. I'm just counting up votes and I'll be drawing for a good solid 12+ hours soon
CheapShot so drop my name if you need me

I've been spamming him every 5 minutes with "MAKE HIM INTO A REAL BOY!!"

Maybe if you wished on a god drat star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Sniper-3

There's only one use, and we need to be absolutely sure the creature dies.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

Cheap Shot posted:

it's the Blue Fairy that he should be wishing on, not some layabout star...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cheap Shot posted:

But, Cheap Shot, you are a CYOA star! :buddy:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

You flatter me sir. Well, I can safely say that voting is closed but don't let that stop you. All the lovely art for the last update will consume me until sometime tomorrow night probably. In the mean time you could talk about BIP, maybe even speculate openly how you think the story will/should end.

Or you could maybe...

That's right. I am about to pass down the ancient and secret techniques of drawing BIP.
This is so that you might draw him too and be merry.
Just follow these simple steps and you will be BIP'ping in no time.

1. Make two gray rectangles, connect them preferably.
2. Draw five darker gray lines coming out of 'em.
3. Put a little red ball on the end of each line.
4. Make two blue circles and fill them in.
5. Draw a small back arch and colour it in.
6. Add a little gray line to finish your masterpiece.

When you are done, you should have something that looks like this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2jczzw7.jpg

results may vary.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Cheap Shot posted:

1. Make two gray rectangles, connect them preferably.
2. Draw five darker gray lines coming out of 'em.
3. Put a little red ball on the end of each line.
4. Make two blue circles and fill them in.
5. Draw a small back arch and colour it in.
6. Add a little gray line to finish your masterpiece.
[/b]
When you are done, you should have something that looks like this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2jczzw7.jpg

results may vary.
Yep, that's about right.

Unrelated:

Lorak fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 31, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I think I did it wrong

https://wi.somethingawful.com/9b/9bafa98607934351470f77a41c2a441c4efb2775.jpg

:nws: for robodong

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I think your instructions are broke.

:(

E: Vroom, vroom!

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 31, 2009

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Poor BIP. :(

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Oh god I screwed up badly. I'm no good at following instructions. :smith:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Please excuse the whitespace, Linux's ghetto mspaint doesn't have cropping tools.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Looks good to me.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
My BIP looks like an abomination and doesn't wish to be alive :(

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Sweet mother of mercy I found you again! AT LAST!

Goddamnit I missed the vote.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Ugh, thread rating just went down again. I'm guessing It's either Random Number's robodong, or TG regulars are tired of seeing my thread. I hope it's the robodong :ohdear:

Our pictures are like if BIP built more BIP's.

Here is a status update. I'm going overtime on the art and it looks loving phenomenal. I'm proud to say it might be my best batch yet. I'm about halfway done and I hope to be able to update at midnight. It's taking forever however. I will let you know if I need another day but if you don't hear from me otherwise don't worry about it. Keep building BIP's in the meantime, they're hilarious.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Bipping in the new year?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Thread looks like it's rated gold to me. Furthermore, Dongs are a staple of SA :colbert:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

:siren:CONCLUSION:siren:
Edit: added picture

BIP crouched down and sprung into the air, lunging directly toward the incoming tendrils. He reached into his compartment and pulled out the chip. Now he just needed to install it and...and..

oh poo poo.

The black creature slapped BIP effortlessly out of the air, knocking his gear clean off. As the world spun, BIP focused his vision on the chip in his hand. The black creature was tearing through the force shield. It would be seconds before it obliterated his human friends. BIP couldn't abide that. It was time to strike back. Time to find his place in a world much bigger then one little robot.

BIP shoved the chip through his mouth hole, and heard a click.

>BACKING UP MEMORIES
>BACKUP COMPLETE
>REPLACING DAMAGED AND MISSING FILES...

The chip was doing something! BIP wished it'd do things faster. The darkness wrapped around him, and tightened. Then his world was white instead of black.

BIP had returned to the void. This time the chip was in his hand. He felt it's power flowing through him. This place of discovery would now become his battlefield.

BIP threw out his arm and waved the orbs into order. They formed a stream which BIP began to direct.

>DOWNLOADING 50%
>RECEIVING INCOMING SIGNAL.
>WARNING, MALICIOUS PROGRAM INVADING

BIP spun his head to see the dark fingers of the devil breaking into his void. They had done so before, he expected it this time. Things were starting to make sense.

>DOWNLOADING 75%

As the files were reordered back into his database, BIP understood more and more. Information that his creator had intended him to have. He now knew what enemy he faced and who had created it.

BIP's enhanced vision spotted the familiar emblem instantly.

A secret weapon. It could survive in the cold depths of space without need of fuel or oxygen. It could bring down ships, or even take control of them. It was a dark engine of destruction with an uncaring robotic mind. The information was being referenced for BIP in a split second. Everything he needed to know brought to the surface in an instant.

Earth Front had engineered this creature. An organic body capable of expanding, but with a digital mind. At some point in it's development, it had been sabotaged. Rebels within the Earth Front managed to reprogram it. It was not long after, that ships began to fall. These files were top secret. BIP's creator was one of the few trusted with the information. To the rest it was just another horror from the furthest reaches.

>DOWNLOADING 99%

BIP suddenly knew his purpose. True, he was built to discover. BIP was the first ever robot with genuine intelligence. He could learn and change and adapt. Most importantly he could feel. That was only the beginning. BIP had been given this wondrous gift, the gift of free thought.

>DOWNLOADING 100% ALL SYSTEMS OPERATIONAL

What BIP hadn't known, was that he could give that gift as well.

The black tendrils spread out, trying to consume BIP's mind. Already it was too late however. The loose data in BIP's mind was never meant for him. It was time for BIP to share.

The data shot into the creature like thousands of bullets, reprogramming it instantly. The dark mass paused in it's war path and began to consider. BIP shared his memories with it and his experiences. Positive emotions flooded the creatures systems. Suddenly it was no longer uncaring, destructive, and voilent. Now, like BIP, it just wanted to be accepted, and to help.

BIP awoke in the dim hallway. The creature had released him and stood awaiting. It must have been longer then it seemed. The marines had depleted their artillery as well, and stood behind a second wall of energy. They watched, fascination and drugs overriding their respective exhaustion.

BIP waved to his friends and began to climb onto the creature he had just fought. He had made another friend that day, and it would be the first of many.

BIP retrieved his electric kazoo. A victory toot was in order.

EPILOGUE

BIP remembered back to his week on the desert planet. It had been a month since then. The Tritons had evacuated all the Earth Front survivors plus Go-Ship, and secured what they were sent to retrieve. It was a terraform machine, powerful enough to alter a planets environment and atmosphere from orbit. The most devastating tool the Earth Front had. Once they'd attached it to the Triton's flag ship, the city and desert were no more. The humans began building a colony on the beautiful and lush new surface immediately.

The Tritons were granted exclusive contracts with Earth Front, which they used to stamp out all other mercenary competition in the galaxy. BIP was also granted membership to the Triton organization. He was allowed to go work for them whenever he felt the urge. BIP promised to visit and help them often.

Captain West was placed in charge of the largest ship in the fleet and immediately appointed BIP as his right hand, much to the confusion of many. BIP was also placed in the position of Ship's Morale officer, a job which he was more then effective at. Morale was spread to everyone as BIP road round the ships decks on his faithful steed Go-Ship, tooting away on his kazoo.

Many robots were brought to see BIP, so that he could share his gift with them. With his help, engineers and scientists began work on the first robotic humanoid crew members, capable of thinking for themselves and working side by side with humans.

As the days passed, BIP learned more and grew, expanding his intelligence and vocabulary. He never spoke a word but was soon writing plenty. The canister given to him by the Captain had contained his creators scientific journal. BIP took it upon himself to study the works of his master, and try to learn his trade.

BIP would go on to make many more friends, and have plenty more adventures, but most importantly he would always remember to back up his data-banks. Learning to read is hard.

THE END

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 1, 2010

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
Fantastic! Bravo! Wonderful!

It's been a great ride. Thanks for bringing us Bip and this great adventure.

Edit:
I have to ask tho, if we had managed to change the vote to the sniper's device, what would have changed? I get the feeling that you let us off the hook there a bit. Also you hint at more adventures. I really hope this is the case.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
A great way to bring in the new year! BIP made a new friend and saved the day!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

:neckbeard:

That was beautiful. Thanks for this magnificent thread, Cheap Shot, and happy new year!

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
Awesome thread Cheap Shot. I've been lurking since the start.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A toast to all CYOAs!

Thanks again for posting this story and letting us ruin run BIP, CS.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.
Happy new year to you, too, BIP :3: And bravo, Cheap Shot. It's been a hell of a ride. I'm glad to have been a part of it, and glad you saw it to a satisfying conclusion. Too many good CYOAs left unended...

Also...

Cheap Shot posted:

Morale was spread to everyone as BIP road round the ships decks on his faithful steed Go-Ship, tooting away on his kazoo.
Someone PLEEEEASE draw this!! It would be the cutest thing ever and would make me so very, very happy.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
That was amazing. Thanks so much Cheap Shot.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With the end of a decade, the end of a great CYOA.

An absolutely adorable CYOA.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I can't say enough good things about this story. I really can't. It's been amazing, and I'm only sorry to see it end.

Of course, now that it's ended, like all good stories, we need MORE! Will we ever see any behind the scenes stuff, or possibly some of the different ideas you had for different choices in the story? I'd also like to know what the sniper's device did, and what your plans, if any, are for BIP for the future.

And for the love of god, please tell me that this thread will be goldmined or something, and that we might possibly see the next series of chapters of Little Robot, Big Scary World: The Movie?

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for such an absolutely wonderful story Cheap Shot!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
What a great way to end the year! This was an incredibly fun read and an adorable ending. Thanks for all he stories and all the memories, Cheap Shot! Someone make/buy this guy an avatar!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Lallander posted:

Edit:
I have to ask tho, if we had managed to change the vote to the sniper's device, what would have changed? I get the feeling that you let us off the hook there a bit. Also you hint at more adventures. I really hope this is the case.

I'll do a Q&A on "what ifs" shortly. As for letting you off the hook? Maybe a little. I might do another BIP story in the future but I haven't decided yet. If I do I'll be using the other CYOA style like The Stupid Adventure or Matter Energy Conversion Experiment: F4A90. This way it will be able to wrap up in a month instead of half a year. I also wont even consider it until I find a job. You have no idea how much work this thread was and how much time it took to prepare each update...n-no idea... :gonk:

Sneaky Monkey posted:

Someone PLEEEEASE draw this!! It would be the cutest thing ever and would make me so very, very happy.

Thanks for crewing my tank and reading my thread!

It's lazily done but maybe I'll add it to the update.

neogeo0823 posted:

Of course, now that it's ended, like all good stories, we need MORE! Will we ever see any behind the scenes stuff, or possibly some of the different ideas you had for different choices in the story? I'd also like to know what the sniper's device did, and what your plans, if any, are for BIP for the future.

I'll start posting behind the scenes stuff as well as sketches and un-used pictures in a few hours. I'll answer questions and stuff for now. The snipers device would have encased BIP in a temporary shield and made him invisible for 60 seconds.

neogeo0823 posted:

And for the love of god, please tell me that this thread will be goldmined or something, and that we might possibly see the next series of chapters of Little Robot, Big Scary World: The Movie?

Goldmine would be sweet but who knows. With the thread relocation to TG I don't know how things stand. As for the movie, Canis and Alea are working on it right now. They have jobs and less free time then me though so It's taking time. Just keep your eyes peeled. One of us will post a thread for all the videos in the future in whatever sub forum is appropriate. I'm pretty sure that number 4 will be the last one however.

Rhyos posted:

What a great way to end the year! This was an incredibly fun read and an adorable ending. Thanks for all he stories and all the memories, Cheap Shot! Someone make/buy this guy an avatar!

You're welcome! If anyone wants to decorate me I could probably produce a fitting BIP avatar. Just let me know. Running puppet is nice but BIP is the main man now. I keep meaning to do these things myself but I never get around to getting a credit card.

Anyways, keep the questions coming. I'll do Q&A for a while and post behind the scenes sketches and art in a few hours.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
Mate, I'll get on the list to offer an avatar. Though I have to admit, that burlap pointy-toothed bastard is hypnotic.

At any rate, this story was outstanding from beginning to end. After putting the locals/ aliens to "sleep," I did not see this ending coming, but it was a very welcome surprise! It's a shame that the animated series can't last much longer than it has- I think Alex Minerva can spend lots of time animating a fresh, cute, original concept to excellent effect. The work seems like a definite attention getter for a portfolio, though I don't know what the gently caress when it comes to artsy things.

If you get a better avatar offer, or if more people want to reward your work, is there any other way to kick some cash your way?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I would also by you an avatar if trevalyan for some reason can't. This was an amazing story, and this final update was a great start of a new decade.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Awesome, Thanks for the offer guys. I managed to come up with this fitting CYOA avatar. It is complete with chainsaw arm and transparent background. Trevalyan has first dibs but I'll let that sort itself out while I take a nap.

(2)(b) or not (2)(b)?

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 1, 2010

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cheap Shot, this was amazing. Thank you for all the hard work and effort!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
What a great (and also sad - because now BIP's journey is over :( ) start of the New Year. From the first drawings, over to the Lego's, to this, it's been a magical journey, and I thank you for putting your time into it.

How far ahead did you plan the story? Did you start off with the inventor and the tentacle robot things, or were they added later?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Punc posted:

What a great (and also sad - because now BIP's journey is over :( ) start of the New Year. From the first drawings, over to the Lego's, to this, it's been a magical journey, and I thank you for putting your time into it.

How far ahead did you plan the story? Did you start off with the inventor and the tentacle robot things, or were they added later?

I didn't have an end in mind when I started the thread because I didn't want it to influence the outcome. What was chosen by you guys decided where the story went. I added the tentacle things as I went along but I had already decided on most of BIP's situation and history (creator being murdered, having a tough time fitting in, doing odd jobs to try and find his place). There were very alternate endings and I'll scan in an unused image later that'll give you a glimpse of one.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 1, 2010

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Ah drat, I was a bit busy on 31/1st so I couldn't check the thread, and missed the final voting :(

Thanks for all the effort you put into this, Cheap Shot. It really was one of the best CYOAs out there, and a really cute one at that.

Great way to end 2009 and start 2010, I think.

And now I want more of BIP too:3:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
First time posting here, but very very very well done, Cheap Shot. Amazing art, and a great story, and perfectly timed ending, what with the new year and all. Congratulations.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
I just had a great idea. BIP "the webcomic". Just throwing that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Hooray, Bip! I knew you could do it :3: