Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertRat
Mar 7, 2003

Bladecatcher posted:

I'd also love if anyone could recommend something like this. Any books on the War from the soilders perspective as well? I've just started reading Generation Kill and it's sparked my interest in both wars (Iraq/Afghanistan) from that kind of viewpoint.

Just starting it, but I would recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Like-Li...45634708&sr=1-1

"What's It Like? A Day In The Life of a 'Clinton' Soldier" by Rodney Burke

Memoir/Journal style from an Army Sniper while in the field. The day is the same day in Somalia when the Black Hawk went down and the Army sniper's personal journal of those moments. Looks to be as good as "Black Hawk Down".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fame Throwa posted:

Okay, which book of Terry Pratchett's should I read next? I decided to start at the very beginning, and I'm half-done with Color of Magic and it is awesome.

I absolutely love Pyramids and Sourcery. They're both pretty standalone stories that don't really have any of the vast character lists like the later books and still retain that early Discworld charm that is sort of dampened in the later books.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Two of my favorite authors are Peter Hopkirk and Ivan Morris, who were both British and wrote about Asian history. I really liked their casual but masterful writing style and respectful yet slightly suspicious tone with historical accounts. Does anybody know of any other good authors in this vein?

I'm also looking for something about Chinese history, although I realize it's such a broad topic that I need to narrow it down more. Maybe something about one particular dynasty like the Han or Tang. Ideally something that isn't too dry and frames it in terms of individual narratives. Something like Hopkirk's books on Central Asia would be awesome.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Voodoofly posted:

I was leaning towards Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail or maybe one of the Gonzo Papers, but I am definitely open to anything.

I'd go with the first volume of the Gonzo Papers, The Great Shark Hunt. It's fairly broad and covers a long time-span. I found the Campaign Trail a bit hard to get into without much knowledge about the politics of the time he was writing in.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I've been looking for stuff that is shorter to read (on the train, etc.) I just finished I am Legend and really enjoyed it. Anyone have an recommendations for something about that length? Non-fiction is fine as long as it isn't boring.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Hello Pity posted:

I'd go with the first volume of the Gonzo Papers, The Great Shark Hunt. It's fairly broad and covers a long time-span. I found the Campaign Trail a bit hard to get into without much knowledge about the politics of the time he was writing in.

Thanks.

I have a decent knowledge of the politics at the time, but The Great Shark Hunt was defintiely an option I was considering. Knowing me I will probably get both.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ExCruceLeo posted:

I've been looking for stuff that is shorter to read (on the train, etc.) I just finished I am Legend and really enjoyed it. Anyone have an recommendations for something about that length? Non-fiction is fine as long as it isn't boring.

There's quite a few decent novellas. Two of the more famous ones are The Old Man and the Sea and The Stranger, both really good if you haven't read either of them yet.

There's actually a whole website dedicated to books of that length so you might want to check it out to see if there's anything you like the sounds of

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted without even knowing it.

Xankrys
Jul 26, 2006

Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen
I'm looking for good light humor in the vein of Wodehouse for things like reading while waiting for oil changes and the ilk-something that's real easy to pick up and put down, and is incredibly light and doesn't require a lot of thought to get through. I've read all of Wodehouse, all of Douglas Adams, a good bit of Pratchett, but Pratchett requires a bit too much thought for it to get classed into the "books I chuck into my purse to read while waiting for things"

Just something light, fluffy and humorous, extra bonus points if the author is as good with language as Wodehouse or Adams are.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

Xankrys posted:

I'm looking for good light humor in the vein of Wodehouse for things like reading while waiting for oil changes and the ilk-something that's real easy to pick up and put down, and is incredibly light and doesn't require a lot of thought to get through. I've read all of Wodehouse, all of Douglas Adams, a good bit of Pratchett, but Pratchett requires a bit too much thought for it to get classed into the "books I chuck into my purse to read while waiting for things"

Just something light, fluffy and humorous, extra bonus points if the author is as good with language as Wodehouse or Adams are.

Christopher Moore. He writes absurd little books with good characters, surreal plots and lots of humor. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is exactly what it sounds like - Jesus learning Kung-Fu and so forth - and a good introductory novel to the author's work.

Xankrys
Jul 26, 2006

Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen
Awesome, sounds like exactly what I need to make little stretches of time pass quicker. Jesus learning kung-fu is a reason to pick up a book in and of itself! Thanks!

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I'm looking for some non-fiction about AI development and theory. Obviously, it's one of those topics that will have a million pie-eyed pseudoscience titles so I'm a little wary. I'm looking for something realistic and in depth. Ideally I'd like something with a little history of computing, a little theory, and just enough discussion of the maths involved to interest me without frying my brain.

For reference, I really liked the OUP's Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction when I went through this phase with quantum mechanics and found it walked the line I wanted.

QUEST FOR TIRE
Jun 21, 2005

I'm looking for a way to get into contemporary poetry. I like the accessibility of Billy Collins and Ted Kooser. The Best American Poetry series is good but a lot of the collections revolve around the incomprehensible.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

QUEST FOR TIRE posted:

I'm looking for a way to get into contemporary poetry. I like the accessibility of Billy Collins and Ted Kooser. The Best American Poetry series is good but a lot of the collections revolve around the incomprehensible.

Try Gerald Stern, or Larry Levis. Mark Strand is great, too. For something a little less accessible but still new-reader friendly, have a look at some James Tate or Charles Simic. Donald Hall and Jane Kenyon also sound like what you're looking for. As for anthologies, Collins himself edited one, "Poetry 180," which is specifically geared towards people not too familiar with contemporary poetry, which is pretty good. Ed Hirsch's "Poet's Choice" is similar, and includes a short little essay about every poet or theme he includes. Robert Pinsky is sort of a dick, but his poetry has lately been more straightforward (try "Gulf Music") and his essays on poetry are very lucid and insightful. He's edited two recent anthologies which I haven't read but seem like good gateways.

Taije Silverman's first book, "Houses Are Fields" is extraordinarily powerful and personal, and very accessible. If you check her stuff out and like it, try Constance Merritt or Olena K. Davis.

A. Van Jordan and Kevin Young both write collections that are pretty accessible and also have a narrative side to them, so you can read them more like a typical novel rather than dipping in and out, if you'd like. I'd suggest "MACNOLIA" and "Black Maria" as good starting points. I'm not the hugest Rita Dove fan, but her latest, "Sonata Mulattica" falls under the same sort of heading and is a hell of a story, too.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

timeandtide posted:

I'm interested in non-fiction books about nuclear weapons in a few areas: 1) history, 2) the sociological/cultural effects on Japan post-war or the world at large, and 3) any sort of philosophical books about the topic. Also, any Internet sites, online articles, etc. are fine too if you have a good one to recommend.

John Hersey's Hiroshima is exactly what you're looking for to satisfy number two. I'm surprised no one's recommended it yet, it was judged the finest piece of American journalism of the last century by NYU's Journalism program.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I need really epic fantasy, preferably with wizards. I love the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and GRRM's neverending story, didn't dig the Malazan Book of the Fallen or Brian Ruckley's Winterbirth, and have A Wizard of Earthsea and The Blade Itself on my to-read list. I know to avoid Goodkind and I've no urge to dig into the Wheel of Time series...where to now?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 29, 2009

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

End Of Worlds posted:

I need really epic fantasy, preferably with wizards. I love the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and GRRM's neverending story, didn't dig the Malazan Book of the Fallen or Brian Ruckley's Winterbirth, and have A Wizard of Earthsea and The Blade Itself on my to-read list. I know to avoid Goodkind and I've no urge to dig into the Wheel of Time series...where to now?

Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy, for starters.

I'd also suggest Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy. Classic fantasy trilogy that came out around the same time the original Thomas Covenant trilogy did.

If you love Thomas Covenant, I'd also suggest Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths series. The final book just came out in April. Wizards galore and some of the best characterizations I've read in the genre next to the Covenant books. Same theme of characters who are interesting but flawed, though much less epic in scope.

Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy is pretty highly-regarded as well, though I couldn't get into it at all. Similar premise to Covenant (people from our world get transported to a fantasy world).

Personally, I'd recommend Tigana by Kay if you read anything by him, though again it's less epic fantasy and more character-driven.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

QUEST FOR TIRE posted:

I really liked the Outlaw Bible of American Poetry. It's this huge collection of a lot of modern poets of all types. There's also an Outlaw bible of American Literature that I hear is equally awesome.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just finished Cities of the Red Night and I'm looking for more stuff like it. Not so much the ejaculation during hanging or the complete mess of the last part, but I like some of the concepts behind the way the story was told. For instance, in the first part of the book it seemed like the plot moved through different characters as opposed to the characters moving through plot elements (if that makes any sense). I also dug the surreality of it, which reminded me of Robert Anton Wilson or David Lynch or Grant Morrison (although I'm sure they were influenced by Burroughs).

So what's some more good Burroughs or weird surreal mind-bendy sci-fi beat fiction? Is Naked Lunch the classic I've heard it is?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

CloseFriend posted:

I just finished Cities of the Red Night and I'm looking for more stuff like it. Not so much the ejaculation during hanging or the complete mess of the last part, but I like some of the concepts behind the way the story was told. For instance, in the first part of the book it seemed like the plot moved through different characters as opposed to the characters moving through plot elements (if that makes any sense). I also dug the surreality of it, which reminded me of Robert Anton Wilson or David Lynch or Grant Morrison (although I'm sure they were influenced by Burroughs).

So what's some more good Burroughs or weird surreal mind-bendy sci-fi beat fiction? Is Naked Lunch the classic I've heard it is?

Cities of Red Night is the first of a trilogy, actually. The Place of Dead Roads is the second book and The Western Land is the third one.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

timeandtide posted:

Cities of Red Night is the first of a trilogy, actually. The Place of Dead Roads is the second book and The Western Land is the third one.
I'd already heard about that, but I guess what I was wondering was whether or not I should check out Burroughs' earlier work before trying to get into those two, given how little sense much of Cities of the Red Night made to me.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
A friend of mine recently had stroke (at the age of 24). She had surgery last week and is bed ridden for a month.. I would really like to buy her a book that she will enjoy. The main problem is that she is one of the smartest people I know and I have no idea what book to get her... Here are a few of her favorite books and authors:

Madame Bovary, Flaubert
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers
The Trial, Kafka
Ex Libris, P.K. Page
An Adoradtion, Nancy Huston
Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates
On Beauty and White Teeth and Autograph Man, all Zadie Smith

Just wondering if anybody could offer some suggestions?

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY posted:

A friend of mine recently had stroke (at the age of 24). She had surgery last week and is bed ridden for a month.. I would really like to buy her a book that she will enjoy. The main problem is that she is one of the smartest people I know and I have no idea what book to get her... Here are a few of her favorite books and authors:

Madame Bovary, Flaubert
The Trial, Kafka
Ex Libris, P.K. Page

Since she's going to be laid up for awhile, get The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

I'm not really qualified to recommend good analogs to the more recent stuff, since I dislike most of the newer material on her list. However, where older stuff is concerned, you might consider some of the following: Sentimental Education by Flaubert; Daniel Deronda by George Elliot; or Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship by Goethe.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY posted:

Madame Bovary, Flaubert
The Trial, Kafka
Ex Libris, P.K. Page

Eggers has a new book out, or coming out very very soon-- here's some info . Maybe some Chabon or Lethem? People are probably kind of tired of hearing about it, but "Infinite Jest" might appeal to a Zadie Smith fan.

Oh, and "Sentimental Education" is really cool, if she hasn't read it already.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005

Archyduke posted:

Eggers has a new book out, or coming out very very soon-- here's some info . Maybe some Chabon or Lethem? People are probably kind of tired of hearing about it, but "Infinite Jest" might appeal to a Zadie Smith fan.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I have read A Heart Breaking Work and his new book Zeitoun is also a non-fiction so hopefully she`ll like it.

It doesn't come out til the 15th of July but I`ll pre-order it for her.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm looking for some good books that tackle Union Negotiations. Historical stories of successful or failed ones, business-school primers on the topic, fiction, etc. Anything that can help me get more situational awareness on the topic. My end goal is to help provide some strategic insight into my company COOs approach to his Union strategy.

I know this is likely a tough request, but if a goon can't fill it, no one can! Thanks!

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~

Archyduke posted:

Yeah probably most stuff from McSweeney's would appeal. If she hasn't read it yet she's partically guaranteed to enjoy the Corrections if she likes Eggers and Smith. Infinite jest might be a bit heavy given the circumstances. have you considered short stories? could be better for who doesn't necessarily want to concentrate for a long period of time...

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

TraderStav posted:

I'm looking for some good books that tackle Union Negotiations. Historical stories of successful or failed ones, business-school primers on the topic, fiction, etc. Anything that can help me get more situational awareness on the topic. My end goal is to help provide some strategic insight into my company COOs approach to his Union strategy.

I know this is likely a tough request, but if a goon can't fill it, no one can! Thanks!

Instead, how about you don't participate in union-busting?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Archibald Cox posted:

Instead, how about you don't participate in union-busting?

Who said that is what i'm doing? The strategy my COO wants to drive is one where the union agrees to more productive-oriented incentives instead of entitled. In turn we will give them MORE rather than less 'for-sure' incentives. The company needs it to grow and it's counter to typical Union desires.

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I know this might seem vague, and it's really meant to be. I'm really looking for any book that deals with this subject matter for research for a book that I'm writing just so I can get a solid idea.

I'm looking for a book where the main character does something destructive to his/her body to forget a painful even in his/her own life.

For example, I'm not sure what the title of the Stephen King story is, but he has a story where a girl loses a child so she runs. At first she runs so much that she damages her body. She bleeds, vomits, gets sore, etc...

I'm sure there's a plethora of stories like this out there, though I can find the Stephen King one with Google. Any quality stories would help. :)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Can anyone recommend any good "elaborate revenge plot" type novels. I'm thinking stuff like The Count of Monte Cristo and recently Joe Abercombie's Best Served Cold. The more elaborate the revenge the better.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

AberrantBassist posted:

I'm looking for a book where the main character does something destructive to his/her body to forget a painful even in his/her own life.

I hope I'm not giving away the twists, but you might want to read Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters. I don't know if it counts as a quality story, though.

Hello Pity posted:

Can anyone recommend any good "elaborate revenge plot" type novels. I'm thinking stuff like The Count of Monte Cristo and recently Joe Abercombie's Best Served Cold. The more elaborate the revenge the better.

If you're into sci-fi you should check out Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination; it's a futuristic retelling of Monte Cristo with a bunch of interesting teleportation intrigue.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Aaron Burr posted:

If you're into sci-fi you should check out Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination; it's a futuristic retelling of Monte Cristo with a bunch of interesting teleportation intrigue.

I've read it before so I really should have thought of it. But it's one that's definitely due a re-read. A great book and I think I'd appreciate it more now than when I read it originally.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

AberrantBassist posted:

You need to watch Pi by Darren Aronofsky.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Hello Pity posted:

Jack Vance's The Demon Princes. A monomaniac trained for revenge since his childhood pursues the five galactic crime lords who destroyed his outworld colony and killed most of his family.

Apart from the science-fictional mores, the books also have a certain detective novel quality, as the true identity of each crime lord is a well-guarded secret.

The series is well-written and the crime lords have colorful personalities.

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl

reflir posted:

You need to watch Pi by Darren Aronofsky.

I've read Invisible Monsters, and I have seen Pi. Invisible Monsters is a good example, but Pi is not. I'm looking for a story more along the lines that a good chunk of the story is the character torturing themselves. Not like in Pi where the character ends it all in a 3 second time span.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I'm looking for a good historical overview of the Pacific Campaign in WW2. There are a lot of great memoirs that focus specigfically on battles like Iwo or Guadacanal, but I'd like a broader perspective of the entire Pacific theater.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking for any kind of writing focused on the highs and lows of travel. I really like Bertrand Russell's 'Christmas at Sea', and was hoping to find similar works. Any ideas?

Here's the article from Russell. It's very short, so please take a look if you can: http://books.google.com/books?id=Sl...result&resnum=1

Epée
Jun 17, 2003

The Black Goat

Epiphyte posted:

I'm looking for a good historical overview of the Pacific Campaign in WW2. There are a lot of great memoirs that focus specigfically on battles like Iwo or Guadacanal, but I'd like a broader perspective of the entire Pacific theater.

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945, by John Toland is a great overview, with the added novelty bonus of it being told from the Japanese perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epée
Jun 17, 2003

The Black Goat
I have recently read Oryx and Crake and Never Let Me Go by Margaret Atwood and Kazuo Ishiguro, respectively, enjoyed both immensely.

Any other good sugestions of well written sci-fi books by generally non sci-fi authors such as the two above?