Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

internet inc posted:

What's a good book that combines mystery, science fiction, and police work? I know my dad likes the TV series Person of Interest and wants to get back into reading. He's an astrophysicist so it doesn't have to be dumbed down or whatever. It also has to be rather recent so I'll be sure he hasn't read it... last 5 years or so?

The Yiddish Policeman's Union?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
The City and the City by China Mieville?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds (2007) is a pretty good sf/detective story. It's part of a wider series but it's a standalone prequel so your Dad can just dive in with this one.

Publishers Weekly review:

quote:

The seventh novel set in Reynolds's Revelation Space milieu (most recently encountered in his 2007 collection Galactic North) is a fascinating hybrid of space opera, police procedural and character study. One of the 10,000 colony habitats of the utopian Glitter Band has been destroyed, and title character Tom Dreyfus, a cop who patrols the Glitter Band beat, is assigned to learn whodunit and why. Meanwhile, his protégé, Thalia Ng, shepherds a supposedly minor series of software upgrades on several other habitats, while Dreyfus's superiors oust their leader, ostensibly for her own good. Reynolds unfolds revelations layer by onionskin layer, supplying enough detail to imply a novel's worth of unwritten backstory without ever obscuring the stakes and personalities. The high-quality characterization more than compensates for the slightly too shadowy villains. This is solid British SF adventure, evoking echoes of le Carré and Sayers with a liberal dash of Doctor Who.

Reynolds is an astrophysicist too so your dad would probably appreciate the hard-sf approach in the worldbuilding.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if he hasn't read it already, Asimov's Caves of Steel is pretty much a classic. In a similar vein, Bester's Demolished Man.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ben Winters' Last Policeman trilogy, about a cop trying to solve cases while there's a gigantic asteroid on a collision course with Earth, might be worth a try.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This thread has served me well in the past with dad book recommendations, and I'd appreciate its help again for Christmas. He's a military history/fiction nerd, but I don't want to restrict things to just that, and I'd prefer suggestions that are a little off the beaten track.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

internet inc posted:

What's a good book that combines mystery, science fiction, and police work? I know my dad likes the TV series Person of Interest and wants to get back into reading. He's an astrophysicist so it doesn't have to be dumbed down or whatever. It also has to be rather recent so I'll be sure he hasn't read it... last 5 years or so?

Try Lock In by John Scalzi. Just came out this year and it has a lot of heavy sci fi which is directly related to the mystery plot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

internet inc posted:

Altered Carbon

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Darth Walrus posted:

This thread has served me well in the past with dad book recommendations, and I'd appreciate its help again for Christmas. He's a military history/fiction nerd, but I don't want to restrict things to just that, and I'd prefer suggestions that are a little off the beaten track.

Peter Firstbrook's A Man Most Driven: Captain John Smith, Pocahontas and the Founding of America, Ed Offley's The Burning Shore: How Hitler's U-Boats Brought World War II to America

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does anyone have any recommendations for good history books on the period of time immediately following WWII, like 1945 to early 1950s? Either non-fiction novels on ndividual people's stories or wider overviews of the events of the period, I just want to learn more about that part of history in general. Anything outside Europe and America would be particularly interesting too, since I know even less about that than the western stuff.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
After years of trying to get my brother to read, he has finally asked that I get him a book for Christmas. He's 31 and has never read a book in his entire life. I think it's a golden opportunity to get him hooked, but I'm having trouble thinking of something that's great and accessible. Maybe something like The Tiger by John Vaillant?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good history books on the period of time immediately following WWII, like 1945 to early 1950s? Either non-fiction novels on ndividual people's stories or wider overviews of the events of the period, I just want to learn more about that part of history in general. Anything outside Europe and America would be particularly interesting too, since I know even less about that than the western stuff.

Tony Judt's Postwar. Its about Europe but its one of the best "modern" history books I've read in a long time.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smeef posted:

After years of trying to get my brother to read, he has finally asked that I get him a book for Christmas. He's 31 and has never read a book in his entire life. I think it's a golden opportunity to get him hooked, but I'm having trouble thinking of something that's great and accessible. Maybe something like The Tiger by John Vaillant?

What type of TV shows and movies does he like to watch?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Stravinsky posted:

What type of TV shows and movies does he like to watch?

He watches all the premium cable shows. I considered Game of Thrones, but (1) aside from the HBO series he's shown zero interest in fantasy, and (2) regardless of how easy of a read it is, the size of the book is likely to turn him off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smeef posted:

He watches all the premium cable shows. I considered Game of Thrones, but (1) aside from the HBO series he's shown zero interest in fantasy, and (2) regardless of how easy of a read it is, the size of the book is likely to turn him off.

That's always hard. Maybe Harry Potter? Maybe The Hobbit? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The Maltese Falcon maybe. I'll keep thinking.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Smeef posted:

Discworld, maybe?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Yeah let's suggest fantasy when the guy says he has no interest in fantasy.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
It could be non-fiction, too. This is a 30-something man who likes golf and hunting. Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc., are probably going to alienate him from reading more than get him started.

Something picaresque might work. I was considering a James Clavell book, but they're all thick as hell and in tiny print.

I think something in the vein of Michael Lewis could keep him interested, but he's not into finance and has probably seen the movie adaptations of Michael Lewis' sports books.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Here are some ideas off the top of my head

Closer to the kind of nonfiction true story thing your going for:
Storm of steel- its a memoir of a german's experience of ww1. It is interesting due to the fact he thought war was a good thing and that it was good for people and the nation. He is also a realist so its not some raving mad bloodthirsty guy but a look at a common mindset of the people at the time.
Imperial Life in the Emerald City- I don't know if your brother watched generation kill, but this is kind of in the same vein of the book that it was based on. Just after the war in Iraq, it covers the actions of several reoccurring people and their efforts and failings to make iraq into a functioning capitalist republic in the lines of the US.
Bringing Down the House or Busting Vegas- both about mit students cardcounting in vegas and the problems they got into due to it and trying to get out of those problems. The first one was made into a movie.

I will admit that this stuff is not really in my wheelhouse so I hope someone comes in and has more suggestions.

Fiction for grown ups that probably wont seem to long and I could see being adapted to hbo or something:
The man who was thursday
No longer Human
Norwegian Wood

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

LionYeti posted:

Tony Judt's Postwar. Its about Europe but its one of the best "modern" history books I've read in a long time.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Stravinsky posted:

Here are some ideas off the top of my head

Closer to the kind of nonfiction true story thing your going for:
Storm of steel- its a memoir of a german's experience of ww1. It is interesting due to the fact he thought war was a good thing and that it was good for people and the nation. He is also a realist so its not some raving mad bloodthirsty guy but a look at a common mindset of the people at the time.
Imperial Life in the Emerald City- I don't know if your brother watched generation kill, but this is kind of in the same vein of the book that it was based on. Just after the war in Iraq, it covers the actions of several reoccurring people and their efforts and failings to make iraq into a functioning capitalist republic in the lines of the US.
Bringing Down the House or Busting Vegas- both about mit students cardcounting in vegas and the problems they got into due to it and trying to get out of those problems. The first one was made into a movie.

I will admit that this stuff is not really in my wheelhouse so I hope someone comes in and has more suggestions.

Fiction for grown ups that probably wont seem to long and I could see being adapted to hbo or something:
The man who was thursday
No longer Human
Norwegian Wood

Bringing Down the House might work. How about The Night of the Gun? (I haven't read either.)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smeef posted:

It could be non-fiction, too. This is a 30-something man who likes golf and hunting.

Carl Hiaasen, start with Double Whammy. No doubt.

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 21, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The Ghosts of Cannae by Robert OConnell is a great military history.

Another great non-fiction book is People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry. It's a true crime one about a murder but avoids being all sensationalist and sleazy, and instead delves deep into it's characters and themes in an excellent way.

As far as fiction goes, Theodore Judson wrote two novels I like a lot where he takes a very famous military figure/story from history and re-imagines em in a future apocalyptic scifi type setting. The scifi elements aren't all that heavy, the author's more focused on telling the characters' stories and he does a good job of it in these. Fitzpatrick's War is Alexander the Great and his companions rise and fall; and The Martian General's Daughter is Marcus Aurelius, his insane son Commodus and the declining empire. Don't know if your father'd be willing to give anything scifi a read but since you mentioned off the beaten path

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Going on a cruise tomorrow and want something humorous to read. Real light poo poo that can be read while drunk. Preferably nonfiction musings or stories. I liked Pen Jillette's books if that helps at all. It probably doesn't though. I just want funny stories :smith:

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 21, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bum the Sad posted:

Going on a cruise tomorrow and want something humorous to read. Real light poo poo that can be read while drunk. Preferably nonfiction musings or stories. I liked Pen Jillette's books if that helps at all. It probably doesn't though. I just want funny stories :smith:

Dave Barry. His book about his visit to Japan is particularly good.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Bill Bryson. In a Sunburned Country, and A Walk in the Woods.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Smeef posted:

It could be non-fiction, too. This is a 30-something man who likes golf and hunting.

Something by Gary Paulsen? :v:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

David Sedaris's books are all humorous essays that are incredibly funny. He's not afraid of showing his mean/selfish/flawed side, which I think is great to read when you're drinking.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

elbow posted:

David Sedaris's books are all humorous essays that are incredibly funny. He's not afraid of showing his mean/selfish/flawed side, which I think is great to read when you're drinking.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up buying "Me talk pretty one day."

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What are the other emblematic works of New Journalism besides Capote's In Cold Blood? I've been on a Joan Didion kick lately and really, really enjoy her style but I feel like branching out in the genre.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

moot the hopple posted:

What are the other emblematic works of New Journalism besides Capote's In Cold Blood? I've been on a Joan Didion kick lately and really, really enjoy her style but I feel like branching out in the genre.

When I think of New Journalism, as far as books go, I think of Mailer's Armies of the Night and Thompson's Fear and Loathing, maybe the most well-known books in the genre. My favorite, though, is Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bum the Sad posted:

For a cruise, I'd recommend James Michener's Rascals in Paradise. Nonfiction shorts about pirates, mutineers, freebooters, and rapscallions in the south pacific.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
my FIANCE just finished that book Wild and now is looking for something similar, but not Bill Bryson. Any ideas?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

JohnnyDangerously posted:

my FIANCE just finished that book Wild and now is looking for something similar, but not Bill Bryson. Any ideas?

The Cactus Eaters by Dan White is most similar -- creepy personal drama on the PCT. Almost Somewhere by Suzanne Roberts has lovely descriptions of hiking the John Muir Trail but is marred by "all women are like this, all men are like this" generalizations as like her major theme.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

moot the hopple posted:

I really like A Fire on the Moon by Norman Mailer, it's less abstract/idiosyncratic than the 'emblematic' works, meanders between personal introspection and more direct interviews with the astronauts and personnel at NASA at the time of the moon landing, but it's the only work I've read that considers the landing from a societal rather than a strictly scientific perspective.

Favourite quote: The horror of the twentieth century was the size of each new event, and the paucity of its reverberation.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be working several long, boring shifts over the holidays and want some ideas for good page-turners. Preferably something relatively light and fun, but mostly just something that constantly keeps me wanting to know what happens next.

A few examples of things I've enjoyed recently would be The Dresden Files, The LightBringer series, The Laundry Files, and most of Brandon Sanderson's stuff.

It definitely doesn't have to be fantasy/sci-fi, but I like fiction with a bit of mystery and the supernatural.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Theli posted:

I'm going to be working several long, boring shifts over the holidays and want some ideas for good page-turners. Preferably something relatively light and fun, but mostly just something that constantly keeps me wanting to know what happens next.

A few examples of things I've enjoyed recently would be The Dresden Files, The LightBringer series, The Laundry Files, and most of Brandon Sanderson's stuff.

It definitely doesn't have to be fantasy/sci-fi, but I like fiction with a bit of mystery and the supernatural.
Promise of Blood by Brian Mclellan followed by The Crimson Campaign

the third book comes out in Feb I think

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Promise of Blood by Brian Mclellan followed by The Crimson Campaign

the third book comes out in Feb I think

I've read those, but good suggestion, definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for.

I might actually need something outside of fantasy, I've read so many of them that most recommendations in that genre would probably be repeats for me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Theli posted:

I've read those, but good suggestion, definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for.

I might actually need something outside of fantasy, I've read so many of them that most recommendations in that genre would probably be repeats for me.
Do you like spy fiction?

Maybe read John le Carré's books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Do you like spy fiction?

Maybe read John le Carré's books

Haven't read any, but I'll look into that. Any particular one you'd recommend starting with?