Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I'm looking for any books similar to Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, any leads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any recs for really good books about surveillance capitalism? Thank you please

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

COPE 27 posted:

The definitive answer would be Shoshanna Zuboff "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism"
It's a little dry and academic but imo has some important insights that most popular discussion of the topic gets wrong.

Much obliged, looks great, thanks!

Does anyone have any recs for books about intentionally rethinking or intentionally redesigning your life that have actually good advice and minimum of self help waffle? Trying to think of a way to reclaim as much of my mental autonomy as I can in this time with so much making it difficult

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

MisterBear posted:

Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans

It’s, roughly, about applying design thinking principles to your life and career. I read it last summer and enjoyed it and found the exercises it encourages you to do to be usefully thought provoking in the most. I too have a low tolerance for self-help wankery and books that insist on rephrasing the same point half a dozen times in order to flesh out the pamphlet of advise they contain into three hundred pages.

This is exactly the book that I had heard vaguely about but forgotten. Spent an audible on credit on it, thanks for the rec!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I’m looking for a good book about ‘co-counselling, “a grassroots method of personal change based on reciprocal peer counselling”.. sort of a peer-to-peer horizontal way of offering effective psychological support to others in a non-hierarchical way. Or any books about similar. Merci beaucoup, my fair goons

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Can anyone recommend me anything on the history of the left/right political divide? Thankin ye

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I’m in the UK so it’s not really necessarily a US-based history I was imagining.. I was under the impression the left/right concept had its start in the French Revolution so before communism and Marx etc. Wasn’t so much looking for histories of specific American anticommunist activities per se tho I can how they’d be relevant to the subject. Not entirely sure what I’m looking for myself here so can only offer these vague intimations :shrug: . Any recommendations appreciated

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Thanks for the effortpost, much obliged. I actually already have the 2nd Graeber book you mentioned so I’ll check it out, cheers!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
That’s okay I still appreciate the effort put into your post there! And it could well be relevant as I’m kinda grasping in the dark as to what I’m even asking or looking for answers to!

But anyway on another topic I was also looking for criticisms of Buddhism, Buddhist philosophy, Buddhist exceptionalism etc in the way the Abrahamic religions have been criticised and deconstructed in recent years. I’ve been in the process of leaving Buddhism for kinda a while now and am looking for useful resources to help me along with that.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Kenning posted:

It's not that exactly, but you might appreciate This Life: Secular Faith and Spiritual Freedom by Martin Hägglund. He deals with the philosophical underpinnings of what he calls "religious faith" (in contrast to his idea of "secular faith") in a broad sense, and deals with Buddhism as well as the Abrahamic traditions. It's a powerful philosophical argument against the pursuit of a sort of final result (salvation, nirvana, "heaven") as being strictly undesirable and meaningless in terms of our understanding of what human existence is. It's a moving and thought-provoking philosophical text, and he manages to hold the through line in a pretty clear way while developing a fairly sophisticated argument. I've reread it several times.

Looks interesting, thanks!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Best books about Anarchism anyone? Thank ye :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

FPyat posted:

Depends on whether you want to read books by anarchists or about them.

Either