Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
To those looking for literary horror/dark fantasy/fiction that gives you the existential willies:

I saw a few of you throughout these five pages, so maybe I can lend a hand. Thomas Ligotti is a genre unto himself, but he usually attracts readers who are looking for something a bit more substantive and lingering than your average King/McCammon/Barker/whoever. In the realm of pulp horror, Ramsey Campbell probably comes closest to an analog, but even that's a stretch. Ligotti is considered an heir to Lovecraft, though he's not as ... nerdy, I guess, and he likewise doesn't overwhelm you with detail. His own cited influences are Poe, Kafka, Nabokov, Borges, Bruno Schulz, E.M. Cioran, and the aforementioned HPL. He writes mainly short stories, though poems, vignettes, and one short novel have turned up over the course of his career. (And his interviews can be just as good as his fiction.) Granted his stuff can be hard to find, but everything is worth tracking down, imo.

Anyway, most of his stories are told in the first person, and deal heavily with the flimsy nature of the human psyche -- or perhaps the flimsy nature of reality itself, that can be for you to decide. Usually these protagonists encounter some sort of malevolence, whether being, entity, or force, and the resultant revelation tends to be of the "we're all doomed" variety. A better way to say this is that Ligotti is a supreme nihilist whose pessimism pervades his every printed word, and even though the form is fiction, the message is philosophical. His most "famous" quotation is something like, "It's a damned shame that organic life ever developed on this planet;" his stories reaffirm this belief. (Also he suffers from a massive anxiety disorder, so not only do his stories drip with dread and dis-ease, but fellow sufferers usually find in him a sympathetic voice.)

Be forewarned, though: reading Ligotti can be exhausting and depressing over time. He's my favorite writer, yet I can only immerse myself in his world once or twice per year.

An excellent resource is Thomas Ligotti Online. Have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Timelord posted:

This poster wants the exact kind of books I am looking for, I did not see a response to him. Are there any books/authors of this nature that we would enjoy?

I thought I posted a response (in which I didn't quote anyone, oops), but it may not have been what you're looking for.