Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Dudikoff posted:

I'm looking for books taking place in the first half of the 20th Century in large cities - similar to The Great Gatsby, Atlas Shrugged, A Winters Tale, Of Human Bondage, Razor's Edge, Down and Out in Paris & London, and A Devil in the White City. They can be Fiction or Non, but need to capture the big city feel of that time period. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Pasos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

The Dregs posted:

I read to my son's preschool class on Fridays. I usually only bring in one book, but the teachers love the break so they always hand me book after book until the bell rings and they can get the kids out. So, I figured I read a larger book over the course of a few weeks. I need a recommendation.

My most successful book so far has been "Where the Wild Things Are". I'm big, glare well, and I do a good monster voice. I don't do well with the fruity stuff like Max and Ruby.

I tought of "the Lion, the With, and the Wardrobe", or "the Hobbit", but they might be too advanced for 4 year olds. I tried "Babe" and "Charlotte's Web" on my kids at home, but either those stories are boring or I read them like poo poo, my kids kept wandering off.

So..I want a longish kid's book with talking monsters suitable for a group of 4 year olds, whose parents might get angry if I cross some line.

Redwall! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall
Loved that book when I was kid. I'm very surprised there's so many books out in the series now.