Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I would like to read an adventure(fantasy/sci-fi/whatever) type book with a hero who has almost no limits. Violence, prostitutes, fair maidens, everything is fair game. I would like the hero to be extremely clever, almost godlike cleverness. Grand conspiracies or mysteries would probably be the ideal setting, but whatever is works. I like only one primary character, no teams or constant switching of PoV. Clever dialogue would be nice. He can also not be clever, might just be incredibly lucky or unlucky, but just involved in some kind of grand conspiracy. Also, the sex part is unimportant overall, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't there.

Is that too much? I grew up reading Gu Long; and he writes several stories of this ilk, I was just wondering if there was anything similar in English.

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I am looking for some light hearted story to read, preferable a story with some nice humor. Any genre is fine. I think I would like some more modern books, and not classics or anything.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Are there any Fantasy/sci-fi books with a James Bond type character in them? Like a suave bad rear end character? There also has to be awesome chessmaster type villian/bad asses for him to fight. Is there anything like that?

I read some James Bond knock off where the guy goes into other dimensions and has sex with the princess/queen there and fights the system or whatever of that world, and I am not looking for something like that.

I want intricate plots, moves, counter-moves, the hero is in constant danger but it never gets to him, because he is bad-rear end.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

I've been pondering this for the last little while, because it feels like there should be something out there that's exactly what you want. The closest I can come up with so far is Keith Laumer's Retief books. Jame Retief is a relatively minor diplomat who regularly defeats Terra's expansionist enemy the Groaci, by being smarter, tougher, and cooler than everybody in the room. Mostly, though, his enemies are not really what you'd call chessmasters. A lot of the conflict comes from him defying his cowardly, greedy, superiors to uphold justice.

Thanks, I will definitely track one of his book down.

I am having a difficult time finding stuff too. Like a stoic hero who is unshakable, no matter the plots going around him, even against him. He dissects all situations 2-3 steps further than normal people. And the Villains might be thinking 4-5 steps ahead of him. Bond and Sherlock Holmes are two of the closest archetypes to what I am looking fore.