Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've got a somewhat specific request: Supernatural/extradimensional horror with a scientific bent. By that I mean either or both of two things: stories where science 'invites' the horror into our world via arrogance or accident, or stories where science is attempting to quantify the nature of the horror, either attempting to integrate it into known science or creating a new field of science around it.

The perfect example of the first category, or as close to perfect as I'm aware of, is the film Event Horizon. A dimension of pure evil and unspeakable torments unlocked via starships and technobabble? Sign me up. :v: The Doom 3 story was also enjoyable for me, as far as it went, both in-game and in the novels Worlds on Fire and Maelstrom.

The second category is epitomized in my mind by Charlie Stross's The Atrocity Archives--Lovecraftian horror being engaged by scientists, complete with more supernatural technobabble. (The sequel The Jennifer Morgue wasn't nearly as engaging to me, as it veered off into the Deep Ones part of Lovecraft's mythos, which I've never found as compelling.)

Oh, and I guess I should add that it doesn't have to be modern science: Victorian, Rennaissance, and even classical science would be fine, just as long as it features learned men trying (not necessarily succeeding, of course) to quantify and understand the horrors from beyond the stars/beyond the walls of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bohemienne posted:

Somewhat in line with JerryLee's request, I'm really wanting to start reading H. P. Lovecraft's works but I'm clueless as to where I should start. Most bibliographies I've found are lengthy lists of every single short story, novella, novel, and essay. I understand that much of his "universe" whether it's the town, supernatural beings, gods, and whatnot spreads across multiple works, but is there a definitive novel or series of novels that is considered the definitive entry point into that world?

While reading through this thread making sure that my request hadn't already been made, I noticed some discussion about this towards the first few pages. Someone recommended The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, and I have to say I agree. I'd say in many ways it's Lovecraft's finest work, perhaps not in the purely literary sense, but definitely in the guilty-pleasure sense that's the reason we all read Lovecraft anyway. :v:

Once you get done with that, you'll want to read (as the poster earlier also recommended) The Silver Key and Through The Gates of the Silver Key, the latter of which is my other favorite Lovecraft story/novella. By that point you'll probably have a decent idea of his style and themes and can read everything else in whatever order.

The only downside to reading these three first is that it may spoil you, if only slightly, for all of his other work. But that's not really much of a downside, and if you want the 'quintessential Lovecraft' as it were, you can't really go wrong with these stories.

edit: It was Tuxedo Catfish who made the original recommendations, on the first page. Kudos :)