Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

Daveski posted:

I just finished The Lost City of Z and really enjoyed the parts about Victorian-era England, specifically some of the crazy inventors and other eccentric figures like Sir Francis Galton or Helena Blavatsky. Anyone have suggestions for further reading along those lines? Either biographies of specific people or more general books on Victorian life would be great.

Seconding this!

Right now, I'm reading Gold warriors: America's secret recovery of Yamashita's gold and would love more books on this subject as well.

Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005
I just read Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields by Charles Bowden. Anyone have any suggestions on books that go into the Mexican drug trade and it's correlation to tourism there?

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005
My last few reads have been Murder City by Charles Bowden, Sweetness and Blood by Michael Scott Moore, The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett, The Lost City of Z & The Devil and Sherlock Holmes by David Grann. If any of you have any recommendations similar to any of those above, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks goons!

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm just a few chapters shy of finishing Susan Casey's The Wave and I'm really in love with it. Are there any books that are similiar to it, written like it or have similar topics that relate to this book.

I'm reading this right now as well, and have been geeking out over it. A while back, I finished Sweetness and Blood which pretty much goes over the history of surfing, how it spread, and travels to different countries. I think The Wave is tons better, but if you're interested in surfing/travels/a little history you might enjoy it.

I need a gift suggestion though, goons. She just finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and greatly enjoyed it. She recently read The Help for a book club, and a couple others that she's enjoyed that come to mind are The Lovely Bones and The Blind Side. I can get you more recent reads if needed, but those are just what come to mind first thought.

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005
Anything else along the same vein as The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005
Going to try this one more time -

Anyone have any recommendations for something along the same vein as The Devil's teeth or The Wave by Susan Casey?