Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary
Oct 22, 2005
If everybody just sniffed glue, there would be no wars.

KitschCraft posted:

I'm interested in books about money; fiction or non, but not how-to. Specifically, I'm looking for books about how money or the lack of money affects and influences a person's life. The book should have financial and/or class standing as a pervasive theme.

I think Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of The Vanities would be right up your alley. It features a wealthy bond trader working on Wall Street in the 1980s who sees himself as one of the most powerful people in the world, a Master of The Universe. Issues of class and money and how they affect peoples lives and New York are definitely at the heart of the novel.

I would also recommend Don DeLillo's Cosmopolis even though it tends to get rather mixed reviews. It is also set in New York, but the book takes place during the peak of the Dot-com bubble and the main character is portrayed as an almost unrealistically wealthy multi-billionaire. The novel tries to capture contemporary culture very broadly, but a large portion of the book is about making and losing money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary
Oct 22, 2005
If everybody just sniffed glue, there would be no wars.

furiouskoala posted:

I am looking for a relatively recent (last 20 years) gay novel that isn't Cavalier and Klay or smut, any suggestions?

I am reading Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty at the moment and absolutely loving it. It's quite recent (2004) and it won the Booker prize (so no smut) so it should be just what you're looking for.