Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Quick question: in arrangement view, are there any keyboard shortcuts for arming the track and for setting Monitor to "in"? I didn't see any in the keyboard shortcut list, but I'm hoping there's some hidden ones so I don't have to slap together some retarded AutoHotKey script that does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TylerK posted:

Quick question: in arrangement view, are there any keyboard shortcuts for arming the track and for setting Monitor to "in"? I didn't see any in the keyboard shortcut list, but I'm hoping there's some hidden ones so I don't have to slap together some retarded AutoHotKey script that does it.

You can set one up yourself using Key Map mode.

Click on where it says "Key" in the upper right corner, click on the control you want to automate, then press a keyboard key to map it. Click "Key" again when you're done.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

TylerK posted:

Hit CTRL+K or CMD+K and assign some keyboard keys to the buttons.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Ah, should have been more specific. I'm looking for something that will do it for the currently selected track. But I didn't know about that keymapping thing, so that's pretty cool.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

TylerK posted:

Ah, should have been more specific. I'm looking for something that will do it for the currently selected track. But I didn't know about that keymapping thing, so that's pretty cool.
Hmm, not too sure on that one. You might look into a MIDI controller with Automap. Or else try a search/asking on the Ableton forums.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 6, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

RivensBitch posted:

Yes, but as mentioned, protools and cubase offer a one-click solution for fading the edges of clips. Besides being a very quick way to create this edit, it also has the benefit of linking the fade to the clip, so if you drag the clip it follows.

Can't you make a crossfade curve with nothing into it? I don't have Live 8, but I remember one of the points being something about being able to fade in with curves like that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

Yes, but as mentioned, protools and cubase offer a one-click solution for fading the edges of clips. Besides being a very quick way to create this edit, it also has the benefit of linking the fade to the clip, so if you drag the clip it follows.

Why not just use cubase or protools then?

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

stun runner posted:

Also, if you have an external synth or use Reason rewired into Ableton, there's a Live instrument called "External Instrument" that basically lets you use a hardware synth or a rewired Reason synth like a native Live instrument, MIDI roll and all. You still have to record to a separate audio track but this way is very simple and I didn't know about it until recently.

This was the best thing when I discovered this. Previous to it I had reason rewired up and had tracks per element in reason, one midi out and one audio in. Then I saw a vid on youtube using this. I kicked myself, hard. It rules.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Stux posted:

Why not just use cubase or protools then?

That's a possibility but exporting and converting large sessions is a pain, and ableton is so awesome I would rather find a way to work with it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

That's a possibility but exporting and converting large sessions is a pain, and ableton is so awesome I would rather find a way to work with it

Well its really not the best daw for doing audio type stuff like band recordings when you have options like cubase, logic or protools available. I mean, you can do it, but why make it harder on yourself.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm looking to start recording stuff as soon as I finish gearing up, and I want to use Ableton because it seems plenty full-featured and intuitive from the videos I've seen. Would I be able to use Ableton Live to:

Record both bass and guitar (two mics in front of each amp going into a firewire interface is how I assume the setup would need to be)
Use my MIDI keyboard controller to play around with piano/synth sounds like I can in Reason?
Use an existing MIDI file to create realistic-sounding drum/marimba/synth tracks?

Looking at getting Suite 8 if I can do all this. I apologize if I have the wrong idea about how to go about computer recording.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm looking to start recording stuff as soon as I finish gearing up, and I want to use Ableton because it seems plenty full-featured and intuitive from the videos I've seen. Would I be able to use Ableton Live to:

[li]Record both bass and guitar (two mics in front of each amp going into a firewire interface is how I assume the setup would need to be)[/li]
[li]Use my MIDI keyboard controller to play around with piano/synth sounds like I can in Reason?[/li]
[li]Use an existing MIDI file to create realistic-sounding drum/marimba/synth tracks?[/li]

Looking at getting Suite 8 if I can do all this. I apologize if I have the wrong idea about how to go about computer recording.

Yes, all of that is a piece of cake.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Record both bass and guitar (two mics in front of each amp going into a firewire interface is how I assume the setup would need to be)
Yeah, you enable the inputs in prefs, assign them to some channels, arm the channels, and record away.

quote:

Use my MIDI keyboard controller to play around with piano/synth sounds like I can in Reason?
First you start Live, then you start Reason. Live will act as a Rewire host. Then when Reason loads, you will have the option in any channels you have created in Live to accept audio from Reason.

quote:

Use an existing MIDI file to create realistic-sounding drum/marimba/synth tracks?
Yup, you just drag your MIDI file around from Live's browser into a channel, then slap whatever instrument you are using into the channel. Live also includes a shitload of sounds and some multisampling instruments.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

So what's the problem? :)

But on the topic of the thread, I've been using Ableton for over a year now, after having been pretty well versed in Protools and Cubase. I'm finally working on a project that is more linear that what I've been doing in Ableton, it's got 8 tracks of drumkit and guitars and bass etc. I'm trying to do some of the fancier editing that I was used to in protools, and I'm finding it's not as elegant as I'd like. For instance, in protools and cubase you can fade the edges of the clip by mousing over the edges until the icon changes to the fade tool, then you drag a fade envelope over the clip. In live it seems the only way to do this is to double click the clip, bring up the envelop editor, and draw in a fade on the volume envelope. This is a lot more tedious than I'd like, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this more elegantly? And in general, any tips on how to use the arrangement view in live would be greatly appreciated.
Eh, it's not too hard at all. You pull down the envelope menu, CMD+B (to select pencil), click anywhere in the clip to create some of those nice little dots, CMD+B again, then drag the dots around to create a fade. Takes like 5 seconds. You can also copy and past envelopes.

The trick is figuring out the most efficient way to get the results you want.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

vas0line posted:

First you start Live, then you start Reason. Live will act as a Rewire host. Then when Reason loads, you will have the option in any channels you have created in Live to accept audio from Reason.

Oh, I don't have reason, I was just using it as an example. I remember when I used the demo version of Reason, I was able to simply select an instrument (i.e. synth or other) and play my keyboard controller and it was just like playing a standalone synth.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Oh, I don't have reason, I was just using it as an example. I remember when I used the demo version of Reason, I was able to simply select an instrument (i.e. synth or other) and play my keyboard controller and it was just like playing a standalone synth.
poo poo that's even easier. You drag the instrument from Live's browser into whatever channel you want, select your controller in the channel, and tap away on your keyboard. :)

Live even includes some pretty decent synths for extra cash, or there are billions of third party synths out there.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I've tried Ableton Live on my PC for an hour or two and had some trouble with it.

To make this short, I've been using only FL Studio and Acid Pro for main recording and such. I'm going to either upgrade to get and stick to Pro Tools or just Ableton live and spend a few months on one of the two. A few questions:

-I know ableton is great for working on electronic stuff, but what about recording rock music?

-Ableton vs Protools.. hate to compare such different appz, but comparing the basics?

-VST and other plugins.. which has more compatibility?

-Are they both respected as industry standards?

So yeah. I may turn my extra bedroom into a mini recording studio/work room. I'll have a couple grand to spend, BUT I am so on a limb here. I'll be doing mostly recoding and mixing. I'm used to PC but am capable with and planning to go with MAC. It seems everyone I know is always requesting to record with a ProTools rig, YET the online community is always raving about Ableton Live and how amazing it is. Although I'm probably going with ProTools, I've very curious how Ableton handles in comparison. I've tried it, but for strictly recording... I don't know.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Cleaner posted:

-I know ableton is great for working on electronic stuff, but what about recording rock music?

Works fine. You can do any genre.

quote:

-Ableton vs Protools.. hate to compare such different appz, but comparing the basics?

Pro Tools has more overhead functionality, Live is more streamlined for a better workflow.

quote:

-VST and other plugins.. which has more compatibility?

Same.

quote:

-Are they both respected as industry standards?

There's no industry standard. Use whatever's easiest for you.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I use a tandem of ableton and logic. essentially I compose in ableton because i love it's streamlined composer interface, then i export each track and mix in logic because i prefer it's more traditional layout for mixing etc. Both programmes are great. I might actually look into rewiring ableton into logic, just to see what happens there.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Same.

Actually Live is better for VSTs because PT doesn't officially support VST.

But, you can get converters for VST>RTAS, and you can't use RTAS on anything else. So you could argue that PT has more functionality that way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Cleaner posted:

So yeah. I may turn my extra bedroom into a mini recording studio/work room. I'll have a couple grand to spend, BUT I am so on a limb here. I'll be doing mostly recoding and mixing. I'm used to PC but am capable with and planning to go with MAC. It seems everyone I know is always requesting to record with a ProTools rig, YET the online community is always raving about Ableton Live and how amazing it is. Although I'm probably going with ProTools, I've very curious how Ableton handles in comparison. I've tried it, but for strictly recording... I don't know.

If you're going mac then I'd say go for Logic really. Unless you really NEED protools because of people requesting it then there isn't really a need to use anything else on a mac, it handles audio far better than ableton while also doing electronic music better (and comes with a lot of quality synths and plug ins for nothing extra) as well as having a live performance mode.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
What's the most RAM usage you guys have seen? The computer I'm using has 6GB, which is way too much for most stuff (I've only ever seen it use 3.5GB at once), but I have a feeling that I might need to up it to 12 if I get Ableton...

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
If anyone is shopping for the APC40 controller, I just picked one up at Guitar Center for $350 with a $50 off coupon they're running this month. That's the best deal I've found for it.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

What's the most RAM usage you guys have seen? The computer I'm using has 6GB, which is way too much for most stuff (I've only ever seen it use 3.5GB at once), but I have a feeling that I might need to up it to 12 if I get Ableton...
6GB is plenty.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

haha poo poo I've got two and my computer owns.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kai was taken posted:

Try comping the clip before you slice it. If I remember right, when you comp a clip it locks it to the tempo and warping it was at.

Sorry to bring this up again, do you mean re-record the clip into arrange mode? Maybe I'm a bit dense but I can't think of anything else 'comping' might mean, looking at the clip view.

There's something else I've been curious about, having seen a lot of videos of people using things like MPDs pretty creatively with Live. This is sort of on the same topic, but are these people using the 'slice to MIDI track' option by warp marker or something, and going at it with a Drum Rack? Or is there a way to program (something like) an MPD32 to automatically assign its pads to warp markers in a selected clip? I'm itching for more intuitive, to-the-point ways of laying down beats and messing with loops.

Holy poo poo, $350USD for an APC40?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yessir. It was the last one they had in stock. I'd be in heaven if my audio interface didn't die on me.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I'm trying to get a sample with the ping pong delay effect with a high pass filter going on. Problem is, I don't want the delay effect to be on the whole time, but when I turn it on on live recording, it affects the way the sample sounds in a noticeable way. That sucks.

So what I did is duplicate that channel, and use one with the delay effect, adding an high pass filter to the top to it, so the second channel is only letting high frequencies (basically, the ping pong delay effect) sound. That way the "main" channel with the sample is unaffected and doesn't change when I turn off the delay effect.

My problem is that I use a low-pass filter on the sample in some parts of the song (your stereotypical build up). But, the low-pass filter is only on the "main sample channel", so when I filter that, you can hear the high frequencies of the second channel.

So, I know it's something easy, but, how do I get both channels to share the same low-pass filter?

Sorry if that sounded confusing, I'll try posting an example of my problem later, too much work makes me unable to communicate... becoming just another drone of the system...

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

KaosPV posted:

So, I know it's something easy, but, how do I get both channels to share the same low-pass filter?

I would say set up a send track that has the filter you want on it, then automated both your tracks to send to it at the same rate (and bring your channel volume down as you increase the send). you might also set up a second send for the high pass filter/delay effect as well.

another neat trick is to use the crossfader - have your dry track be set to channel A and your send track be on B, that way you dont have to lower the track volume when you want to use the fx track, just slide the crossfader over.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
if you guys are asking which DAW will better suit your needs i would think either would because you dont even know enough to decide which you need. they pretty much do the same thing once you get used to their features. i personally use live and i create electronic music, record (usually, sometimes country) rock bands, AND i use live to play in a band with my buddies.

now, ive never used any other DAW, but there is nothing i cant do with either a live suite plugin or free plugin. ive been using live for about 4 years straight now so i really know the ins and outs, but i think it will be like that with any commercial DAW. my point: just get one and start making tracks and reading the manual.

people say that live isnt the best for working with audio, and i just dont see that, at all. i can plug in my 16 channel interface, and record a whole band with no fuss, then go home and mix and master it with little effort. then, the next day, i can sample a record, get it quantized and chopped up into a breakbeat in about 15 minutes. then i can play a VST synth, record it to audio, and then do a bunch of crazy edits and chops and stutters.

like i said, never used another DAW, but i havnt found anything i cant do with live.

PS: im a mega ableton fanboy(if you couldnt tell by the post)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah I'm a hugeeee Ableton fanboy but really, any DAW will work for you. You can get demos of all of them so really just try them out, do tutorials, and figure out which one suits you and the way you want to make music best. Logic isn't "better for electronic music" and neither is Ableton unless you're more comfortable with one of them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oredun posted:

people say that live isnt the best for working with audio, and i just dont see that, at all. i can plug in my 16 channel interface, and record a whole band with no fuss, then go home and mix and master it with little effort. then, the next day, i can sample a record, get it quantized and chopped up into a breakbeat in about 15 minutes. then i can play a VST synth, record it to audio, and then do a bunch of crazy edits and chops and stutters.

like i said, never used another DAW, but i havnt found anything i cant do with live.

Yeah heres the point, you havn't used a DAW that handles audio better than Live because you havn't used any other DAWs. Its do able in Live, of course, but other DAWs are better for it due to workflow, ease of use with audio etc. Spend some time with getting to know something like Cubase or Logic Or ProTools and then do some semi serious band recordings and you'll see what people mean.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I agree with people saying that Live is a bit more difficult in a way to do in depth audio editing compared to other DAWs such as Cubase and Pro Tools. That's about the one problem that I have with the program. Everything else is great. Because of this I think I'm going to save up and get Logic and use both as needed. I like creating stuff with Live but for traditional recording of bands I'd like to use something like Cubase or Pro Tools and I hear Logic is amazing so I'm looking to try it out.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

vas0line posted:

Eh, it's not too hard at all. You pull down the envelope menu, CMD+B (to select pencil), click anywhere in the clip to create some of those nice little dots, CMD+B again, then drag the dots around to create a fade. Takes like 5 seconds. You can also copy and past envelopes.

The trick is figuring out the most efficient way to get the results you want.

Now this is the kind of answer I was looking for. It's still not as good as protools/cubase, but it's a quick way to get the job done which is what I wanted.

If there weren't issues with compatibility with other band members, I probably would have kept this session in cubase, but as it is I need to work in live this time around.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
How do you guys like the vocoder in 8? I am thinking about upgrading just for this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Elder posted:

How do you guys like the vocoder in 8? I am thinking about upgrading just for this.

Get the demo and load up a preset project, it's called Synth+Vocoder or something weird. I was playing with it the other night, I like it.

But then again I'm not huge into vocoders so I can't make an accurate comparison to other ones.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Kai was taken posted:

Get the demo and load up a preset project, it's called Synth+Vocoder or something weird. I was playing with it the other night, I like it.

But then again I'm not huge into vocoders so I can't make an accurate comparison to other ones.

Hmm, good idea. I'm not big into vocoders either but it doesn't seem like there's any good software ones out there right no so I'm really just looking for anything that works.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Robotronic would like to have a word with you. I use it everyday.
http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Robotronic/index.php?lang=en

Also the one million band akai vocoder is good as well but its ui is kinda weak.
http://www.akaipro.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1170/tt/5

I used the akai one for a while then yoozer gave me a bug to get all the sugarbytes poo poo.

Abletons vocoder is good too.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Little tip I found over on the Ableton forums:

quote:

Just in case you're not aware: say, you drag a group track, configured as you want with the plugin you want, to the Browser. It saves an als file, you can name it the same as your plugin.

Then, when working on a set, you can drag this als in the current set, and drop it on the track header area. It will import the whole group track. It then works "as a preset".
I knew about saving racks and such, but didn't think it was possible with the new grouped tracks. This is going to make poo poo a whole lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

TylerK posted:

Little tip I found over on the Ableton forums:
I knew about saving racks and such, but didn't think it was possible with the new grouped tracks. This is going to make poo poo a whole lot easier.

Woah. I can make my drums all on separate tracks, save them as a grouptrack.als, and then import my perfect drum setup to any project I have going previously or currently. gently caress YEAH!

Thanks tyler k!