Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

vas0line posted:

If you are having issues with delay/glitching, it is likely your latency settings. Preferences/Audio/Buffer Size. Mine is currently set at 128 samples, which is about 3.59ms. Almost unnoticeable. Give that a try.
It was a few weeks into using Live before I figured this out. Before that I would record a guitar part and then manually move the track forward on the time line so it actually synced up with the drums. loving agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Quick question: in arrangement view, are there any keyboard shortcuts for arming the track and for setting Monitor to "in"? I didn't see any in the keyboard shortcut list, but I'm hoping there's some hidden ones so I don't have to slap together some retarded AutoHotKey script that does it.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Ah, should have been more specific. I'm looking for something that will do it for the currently selected track. But I didn't know about that keymapping thing, so that's pretty cool.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Little tip I found over on the Ableton forums:

quote:

Just in case you're not aware: say, you drag a group track, configured as you want with the plugin you want, to the Browser. It saves an als file, you can name it the same as your plugin.

Then, when working on a set, you can drag this als in the current set, and drop it on the track header area. It will import the whole group track. It then works "as a preset".
I knew about saving racks and such, but didn't think it was possible with the new grouped tracks. This is going to make poo poo a whole lot easier.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Rkelly posted:

It works but it adds a subtle flavor for sure that really can be annoying in my opinion.
I agree. When recording my own guitar parts I find it useful for transposing up or down a little to see if it fits well with another part, but if it does work I'll go ahead and rerecord it in the new key so I don't have any distortions.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

I have some questions regarding cleaning up a set.

I record directly into arrangement view one track at a time. Sometimes if I gently caress up in the middle of a track, I'll drag the end of the clip to the left to cut it off and then resume recording into a new clip from that point onward. I've noticed that if I double click on the first clip, it still retains all of the original take, gently caress up and all. Hitting Ctrl + J consolidates it so that everything after the cutoff is no longer part of the clip, but what if I have a file full of these clips that need to be consolidated? Do I have to manually do it for each clip, or is there some way to do it automatically for all clips that I have in the arrangement?

Edit: Saw some stuff about the "manage set" thing. Would that be what I want to do? I'd really like to free up some space and get rid of anything that I'm not using.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

mezzir posted:

Select everything and hit ctrl-j?
But that will consolidate everything into one big clip, and I'd like to have different parts (verses, choruses, etc.) in different clips with different colors. Sure, I could split them into separate parts again afterwards, but then I'd have to do Ctrl+J on each clip individually anyway. Sounds like there might not be any easy way around it. :(

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

ManoliIsFat posted:

May I ask why you want to consolidate it at all? Afraid of wasting space?
Not just afraid of it, but made painfully aware of it when I recently had to back up all my Ableton projects. Going through some of the earlier projects that I'd made before learning about the ctrl+j trick, there were some clips that contained 2 or 3 minutes worth of audio when all I was using was about the first 5 seconds of it.

I'd also like to consolidate them so that I don't stumbled across the unused bits while high and/or drunk and accidentally resurrect them.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Rkelly posted:

The third link on google your quotes are loving you over smarty pants.
I think it has less to do with the quotes than it does you giving the guy's last name as Whitley instead of Whitely.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Ha! I even screwed up my counter-correction. This is a sign that that dude needs to change his name for the benefit of everyone else.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Say I have an audio clip on one track and my guitar going into another track. Is there some way I can change effects parameters on the clip track based on what I'm playing on my guitar? Specifically, I was wanting to do a sort of filter sweep on another track, but with the frequency being based on how high or low I go in pitch when playing guitar. Is this at all possible?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

I just received a bunch of wav files for one of the songs my band recorded and I'd like to toss them into Live to hear them all together. Is there a way to import them all into separate audio tracks automatically, or do I have to manually create each track and then bring each wav in?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Does anyone have any idea why Live's metronome bleeds into my guitar recording via Guitar Rig? It's really irritating but I can't work out how it's happening.

What kind of interface are you using? I had all sorts of bleed through issues back when I was using an M-Audio Fastrack Pro usb. Haven't had the problem since switching to a Konnekt 48.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

I have a rather weird setup when it comes to shortcuts. I work exclusively in arrangement view, so these get quite a workout:

Ctrl + E = split clip
Ctrl + J = consolidate clips
Ctrl + D = duplicate (works on clips but I mainly use it to dupe tracks)
Ctrl + T = new audio track
Ctrl + Shift + T = new MIDI track
Ctrl + Shift + M = insert new clip (midi)

I wanted to map the record button to WinKey + Space, but since you can't use the WinKey as a modifier, I had to set it up in AutoHotKey so that WinKey + Space will send the F9 key. :downs:

I also setup a few mouse gestures in StrokeIt to split clips and toggle draw mode which makes MIDI clip editing a lot quicker.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

TracerBullet posted:

I hope this isn't too simplistic a question or if I'm just missing something very obvious.

Running Live 8.0.8 on a PC, is there any way to drop some sort of a cue point/marker onto the track in clip view? Especially if I'm DJing and trying to mix two tracks together, it would be nice to be able to make some notes or at least have markers I can drop onto specific measures so that I don't have to reference a separate "cheat sheet" I've made in Word.

I know arrangement view has locators but I don't think anything like that exists for the clip view. Maybe add a warp marker or something?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Also make sure you're not trying to drag it onto a MIDI track or something.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Plavski posted:

But if you like to mix styles around, you can make a default layout for each style you want, using the plugins and effects you'd want to use, and then simply save that as a project and when you go to make tracks from that genre, open the cleanly configured project and start from there.

I do this all the time for songwriting/demoing purposes. I have one set with the following ready to go:

- 1 track for Addictive Drums with my preferred preset loaded
- 5 tracks for Guitar Rig
- 1 bass
- 2 rhythm guitars (each panned hard left and right)
- 1 lead guitar (EQ'd to cut through the bullshit)
- 1 track that's used only to record on
- 4 tracks for vocals
- 1 lead
- 2 backup vocal tracks panned slightly left and right with a touch of reverb
- 1 muted track for recording into

The drum track starts with 4 count followed by 5 minutes of a looped 4/4 beat. After the set's initially opened, all I have to do before I start recording is adjust the tempo to whatever I feel like jamming at the time. It's loving bliss!

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

AKP posted:

haha, how about some constructive help? everyone had to start off somewhere.

Well, if you have a drum loop... add another instrument? Do you want us to provide every note or something?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Cameron posted:

Is there a way to move envelopes along the grid and have them snap like audio clips do? Move, not make.

You can copy and paste them, but I don't think you can just drag and drop them.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

keyframe posted:

I don't like the "it's not melodyne" part because melodyne does that perfectly and anything less will be just a half assed effort.

If you read further down where they get a bit more into it, they explain that it's just a transcribing tool. You won't be able to detect notes and then alter the pitch of the original audio, but you can easily create a MIDI version of an audio clip, which you can then edit. That's all they meant by "it's not Melodyne."

Sure, Melodyne can do that, but having this functionality built into Live itself is going to be quite a timesaver.

TylerK fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2012

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

I still kinda miss Jeskola Buzz's way of doing certain things:

Hard to believe I went from that straight into Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Doesn't Consolidate do exactly that? Select the bit you want, hit CTRL+J and boom, isolated sample without any padding.