Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Thinking of buying the standard version after having lite for what feels like eons. I am eligible for the student discount for a little while longer but it is honestly quite disappointing that you barely get any software instruments with standard. Two of which are drums and one isn't even an instrument but just a way to plug in external instruments? Seems like people say "get suite" in general but I'm a bit torn even with my student discount. Still regardless I'm a bit surprised that the standard offering is so barebones when it comes to instruments. I assume I would end up paying more if I buy standard now and upgrade to suite later. (not even counting the fact that I will lose my student status very soon)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Splinter posted:

External Instrument is for if you have external hardware synths / gear that can be controlled via MIDI. It facilitates sending MIDI notes / control/automation to the synth and then receiving synth's audio back, all in the same Live track (as opposed to having to do this via a separate MIDI and Audio Track).

You by no means need to get Suite, you'd just need to get your synths and samples from elsewhere. Some people aren't huge fans of the built in instruments, or just don't need the breadth of instruments/samples Suite provides, and thus would rather pay for something like Standard + Komplete (on sale of course), or Standard + a breadnbutter synth (e.g. Serum) + some genre focused sample packs (or samples from Splice) etc. There are also a lot of free options for synths / effects that you can use to fill Standard's holes.

Thanks for the explanation. And yeah I don't think I need Suite either. I've gotten a bunch of free stuff via Novation's periodical freebies and I got that Vital plugin that is similar to Serum as well. I stuck with Lite for a while so I don't overwhelm myself and spend hours flipping through samples and plugins instead of actually making music and learning and I think jumping into Suite will just result in that same problem to be honest. I was mostly interested in the Analog instrument and getting Suite just for that seems like a waste. I really enjoy the workflow of Ableton (Not that I have used other DAWs a whole lot, mostly a bit of FL Studio) and how my launchkey mini mk3 integrates seamlessly with it so I'll probably just buy standard even if other DAWs may offer some more instruments up front. I'd rather organically grow my collection over time instead of getting a big dump of stuff right from the get go so that's the way to go I think. Would have been nice with at least something more than what it offers but it is what it is.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

prom candy posted:

Standard has a lot of the effects that you'll want. Suite having a huge sound/instrument pack is really nice though, and the additional packs you get with it are great as well. I like being able to just hit cmd+f in my DAW and type "snare" or "piano" or whatever and instantly have usable sounds instead of having to stop what I'm doing and go find samples or trawl around for some free/cheap VST just to try out an idea that I might not stick with.

If you don't mind doing sound design/sample curation sessions then you probably don't need Suite though. I've had it for like a year and I still use Serum for almost everything and hardly touch the built-in synths.

Idea is to use stuff like Splice once I get going for real, or at least try it since I get two months with my keyboard. But besides that I am interested in trying to design my own sounds but so far I've managed to open up vital and stare at all the buttons, knobs and menus before surrendering. :psyboom: But I'll hopefully figure it out over time.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

chippy posted:

I believe you can buy the instruments individually, if that helps. So you could buy Standard + Analog.

Ah yeah I saw that too. Granted it is like 80€ but it at least allows me to grow over time instead even if it means paying more in the long run.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for all the info, naturally there are pros and cons to either approach. But like Splinter said for the price of just analog there are other offerings as well that I might as well check out, like the full version of vital is $80 and whatnot as well. However like sea of losers pointed out there is a clear benefit to just having versatile tools available and ready to go. I mostly just need to get the basics nailed down first while learning to use stuff like Serum/Vital on the side before expanding, so going with standard is probably what I'll do for now since I'm starting to hit the limit of Lite, even though Suite is tempting I'll pace myself a bit.

prom candy posted:

This uses Serum but I think everything should map to Vital pretty cleanly.

I'll be sure to check this out, thanks! I noticed he even has some Vital specific videos.

Edit:

I noticed that he even has an updated 2021 version of that video where he even happens to use Vital. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxE9-Dr3EI

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 16, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

If I were to be in the market for Ableton upgrades from Lite, I'd personally go Standard and maybe something like NI Komplete, or even a hardware synth.
Whilst Max4Live is cool, it's pretty niche I feel (though to an extent so is Reaktor), and whilst stuff like Operator, Wavetable, Analog are obviously very well integrated into Live and sound good, they don't do too much a bunch of alternatives don't do, or do better.
I find the 'missing' effects and limited track counts the biggest issue with the smaller versions of Live, although the former can be easily addressed, it's not as 'neat' as having native (no pun) versions.

As someone mentioned upthread, Tyrrel (uHe) N6 is an absolute murderer of an analogue synth, even more so because it's free. It's essential IMO, and one of few synths where I can truthfully say the presets really demonstrate the sheet breadth of sounds it can create.
Dexed is a great FM synth, again, free.
Have a raid of the freeware sections of Splice and Plugin Boutique and pretty much all your needs are covered.

For drum samples, download the Vintage Drums And Keys pack off Reddit (free, legit, majestic. All drum machines you can think of), and keep an eye on Samples From Mars for their sales. I got everything they do for 30 quid rather than over a grand when it was on sale.

Ah nice, I'll be sure to check all of those out as well. Somehow missed that TyrrelN6 is free as well. Thanks for the tip! Lots of cool stuff to play with.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

prom candy posted:

Picking one synth and learning it well is going to be way more useful than trying to learn a bunch of synths at once. There's so much stuff to learn if you're learning to make music.

I completely agree, I'll most likely be focusing on Vital for the time being since it seems to be a decent free alternative to Serum. But I'll still download the others out of sheer curiosity.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Just bought Live Standard (still waiting for the EDU verification though so I'm limited to the demo mode) and I'm clicking around and seeing that opening the drum synth devices opens up Max 4 Live. I thought that was only for Suite and up? No idea how to use it and not something I'm interested in at the moment either way but still curious. Also the drum synth itself seems a bit underwhelming since it is just a couple of devices with a few knobs unless I'm missing something. But it is alright since I realize standard is more of a platform for you to build upon, and I look forward to that part.
I was pretty close to buying Suite since I abhor installing external plugins with all of their archaic DRMs and software that don't give you any control of where to install them, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that for now even though it annoys me a great deal. Once I've gotten better I'll probably pick up some external stuff from Native Instruments etc, lots and lots of options.

What I'm most excited about is the ability to have more than 8 tracks in a project. :v:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 27, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Speaking of free, you can get Ozone Elements and NI Hybrid Keys for free for the time being. Both are great. https://www.izotope.com/en/alliance/ozone-elements-x-hybrid-keys.html Been putting the latter to good use already. Ozone Elements also visualizes your audio is a couple of ways that can be useful.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

In the lead-up to tonight's lesson, I identified a fatal flaw in my plan!

Ableton locks my audio device, meaning I can't hear Zoom while also running Ableton. This happens even with the Windows option to allow exclusive access unchecked. I can create another fake pipe using SAR to send Zoom audio into Ableton, but at this point the setup is going to be just as fiddly as using Voicemeeter in that I'll have to change audio settings in several places before each lesson.

Have you tried using screen capture instead of messing around with audio channels? My buddy who uses Cubase had to do all sorts of weird hacks to get Cubase to stream reliably but with Ableton I just streamed my screen via discord and it captured the audio perfectly, I could also hear and speak to everyone like normal. I had to tweak exactly zero settings to get that to work. So maybe try and stream your computer's screen in Zoom? (You can also select a specific application to stream rather than your whole desktop)

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove noise and pops from recorded speech? I managed to get rid of most of the noise by using a gate. But I have some pops and harsh sounds in some recordings that I would like to get rid off. Audacity has a surprising number of tools while Ableton seems to be lacking in this regard. Or maybe I am just not finding the right tools. I would like to avoid running all of my recordings through Audacity if possible since it is a hassle to go through each recording one by one manually when I could bulk add effects etc in Ableton.

I found ReaFIR but I can't get it to work with Ableton 11. But could just be me doing something wrong.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 30, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

susan b buffering posted:

Izotope RX has some tools for that. It has automated tools but you can also get pretty surgical about removing unwanted pops with the spectral editor.

Checking out the trial now of the advanced version. Thanks! Apparently the elements variant is a mere $20. I wonder if that can suffice in the long run. I am not a professional by any means so my standards are pretty low.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 30, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well this place is quiet to say the least. But maybe someone knows what is up with this orange message I keep getting in Ableton since getting a new midi controller?

https://imgur.com/a/xSvuGKt Imgur things Ableton is NSFW so it refuses to embed it seems. But basically I got a Keylab Essential MK3 and whenever I use any instruments or play drums or whatever I keep seeing this orange message. Even when I am using my Launchkey mini it still shows this message or a variation of it every time I play something.

Another thing I've noticed also is that my Launchkey mini auto-arms any track I select whereas on the Keylab I have to manually arm them. There doesn't seem like there is a way to just auto-arm across the board.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

ben shapino posted:

i'm not too sure about the orange text, but

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/7uetmc/arm_on_selection_is_an_incredible_hidden_feature/

this might help you with the auto arming

Thanks I'll have to check that out later today. Really weird that it is apparently a hidden feature that my Launchkey Mini makes use of by default somehow.